Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
In place of tomato, put mango in your guac. It's a special treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Knockknees posted:

I've never done mango but I've done pineapple and its good.

basic guac is finely diced shallots and garlic and peppers in lime juice, mixed into mashed avo as course as you like it. I usually add salt and cumin.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't add garlic to my guac. There's generally more than enough things on that same table that have garlic in. So for me, not everything I make has to be garlic'd. Mind, I'll eat someone else's garlic guac. Don't get me wrong. It's tasty and all. But it doesn't need it. Again, I'm going back to the whole "I want to taste the damned avocado" thing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Local place puts orange zest into theirs.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Restaurant near me makes it at your table and you choose what goes in it. Apparently the most popular things are cilantro and shallot by a pretty big margin then tomatoes and peppers are not unusual. Of course the default is salt, lime and avocado.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'll ask here anyways.

I am looking to buy my wife a gift in the form of a cooking class "experience" (not sure what you'd call this). She isn't the best cook and is super nervous about doing anything in the kitchen, but she has expressed interest in doing one of these things in the past and we never jumped on it.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you goons in the Wash-DC / Baltimore Metro area have done one of these cooking classes before and have recommendations, or if youve done this in general, are there certain things to avoid when trying to choose a place? 70 bucks a head for a cooking class, and I don't want to waste it.

The funny thing is, my family are all great cooks, but she is too nervous to take any form of instruction from any of us. We just need to work on her self-esteem. Here's to hoping that a stranger teaching her will be easier for her to swallow than family :shobon:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Anyone have a good method of heating up leftover takeout fried rice? It's always dry or hard when I just microwave it. I've put a splash of water over it (just heating it up in the takeout box), which helps a bit as it seems to sort of steam it, but I'd still like it to be better.

If it makes a difference, it's my local places "house special" fried rice, which has shrimp, chicken and pork in it, too.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Anyone have a good method of heating up leftover takeout fried rice? It's always dry or hard when I just microwave it. I've put a splash of water over it (just heating it up in the takeout box), which helps a bit as it seems to sort of steam it, but I'd still like it to be better.

If it makes a difference, it's my local places "house special" fried rice, which has shrimp, chicken and pork in it, too.

Run some water over a paper towel, then ring maybe 50% of the excess water so that the towel is still fairly damp but not dripping wet. Place the damp paper towel directly on top of the rice and heat as normal. If you're heating it up directly in the typical square chinese takeout box, you may want to transfer it to a larger bowl or plate to better distribute the steaming over more surface area.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like a bowl, or would you suggest spreading it out over a plate? It's a mostly full one quart box. I'm not clear on how this works well, though, because in my microwave the steam goes up, but it's a pretty cheap model.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Two questions:

Is there a way to soften baby carrots, just slightly? I like to buy those bags of peeled baby/finger carrots to eat as a snack but I find their hardness leaves my jaw sore after eating a few.

Does anyone know what that tangy, orangey dressing is that you always get in Thai take-out salads? I think its quite tasty.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

criscodisco posted:

Like a bowl, or would you suggest spreading it out over a plate? It's a mostly full one quart box. I'm not clear on how this works well, though, because in my microwave the steam goes up, but it's a pretty cheap model.

I have always found it was pretty important to toss the rice frequently during microwaving, works well for my leftover rice.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also, heat it, then leave the container closed for a bit and let the heat and moisture reabsorb and distribute.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you goons in the Wash-DC / Baltimore Metro area have done one of these cooking classes before and have recommendations, or if youve done this in general, are there certain things to avoid when trying to choose a place?

Yes. My wife was the same, took some of the classes, and had a blast. She's done several. Unfortunately it's been a while, I rather suspect that my information is past its use-by date.

Jacques Haeringer's Demos at L'Auberge: just that, a demo, not really a class, no hands on. Expensive. Probably not worth the money exactly but I do love L'Auberge so much. I do recommend this just because it's fun and the food is of course top notch. Jacques is a goof and a ham but he is a cooking motherfucker. One time he was taping the demo for some kind of show and had himself a catchphrase even. "What's wrong with butter?!?!" Audience, shouting, "NOTHING!" Jacques you dork, you're no Emeril.

Roberto Donna has had some troubles since teaching my wife to cook a delicious rabbit cacciatore. That was an interesting experience. He flew by the seat of his pants quite a bit, including taking the whole class to shop in his (not really his for tax purposes) hummer. Looking at it now he probably had to because the restaurant probably had no vegetables stocked.

I'm pretty sure she liked the class at Lebanese Taverna. Parking is a bitch there though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just got a Cuisinart panini press. It's got reversible plates with one flat griddle side and one ridged grill pan side. What are some good ideas/recipes for some kickass panini?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make a cubano.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I have one of those taking up space in my pantry too!

(Finally got it for wife after years of hearing her bitch that a skillet and an iron weight are not at all the same thing because it doesn't make those lines and doesn't cook both sides at the same time.)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

pr0k posted:

I have one of those taking up space in my pantry too!

(Finally got it for wife after years of hearing her bitch that a skillet and an iron weight are not at all the same thing because it doesn't make those lines and doesn't cook both sides at the same time.)

Put the iron weight in the oven before you put it on the sandwich!

Yeah, thats a lot of work for a sandwich....

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I just get a cast iron pan nicely hot, plop the panini/wrap on, press the top side down with a big flat plate, then flip - flatten again if necessary but it's usually not. Works out great and fast for no loving around with teflon coated stuff or preheating weights. Both sides sear nice and even, and it goes as flat as you want (you're stronger than any of these things are heavy).

For bonus :effort: points if you're 1-2 people, serve on the plate you squished it with. Hell, prep it on there too. No dishes.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 26, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
So a lady friend I'm wining and dining recently had her gallbladder removed. She has trouble eating anything with even a reasonable amount of fat in it.

So, any suggestions on a meal I can cook her that's high in fiber, low on fat?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Knockknees posted:

I put a banana in guac once. Never again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So a lady friend I'm wining and dining recently had her gallbladder removed. She has trouble eating anything with even a reasonable amount of fat in it.

Much of the vegan thread.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Teriyaki chicken, rice, pickled vegetables. I really can't say enough about how good simple fake japanese food is. Equal parts water, vinegar (rice vin if you have) and sugar - mix until sugar dissolves. Then chunk in some thinly sliced onion, cukes, chiles, daikon - any goddamn vegetable, really. Let that sit in the fridge anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours. Meantime marinate some chicken on skewers and get the rice out. So easy and so good. Hell, it's so easy you could still do a salad or some miso soup. For the salad dressing do water, (red wine) vinegar and sugar again, a few drops of toasted sesame oil, and a little miso, soy, or whatever salty thing you want. Fresh fruit for dessert. Or canned lychees over shaved ice if you want something "exotic."

pr0k fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 26, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been making that pickle recently and it shines after a full night. Carrot I've found works amazingly well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Religious toleration is a pretty controversial topic but I want to bring up an even more controversial topic: chocolate chip cookie recipes.

Specifically, does anyone have any favorite vegan ones? I've googled it and found some good candidates but of course it would be more ideal if goons have some on hand that they've tried and enjoyed personally.

Now, I'm no vegan food expert, but going over the standard Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe in my head, there's

Flour
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Butter
Salt
Vanilla
Eggs
Chocolate Chips
Nuts

So, unless I've missed something, you need a substitution in this recipe for the eggs and butter.

I've not sampled any Vegan butters, but I imagine that they are comparable to margarine in taste and consistency. That being said, I'd almost rather work with semi frozen margarine to give it a little body since it typically spreads so easy out of the fridge. Depending on brand and taste, you may have to adjust your sugar and salt levels a little bit.

Eggs are harder to substitute in baking terms (from what I've found) as they provide binding and body to cookies and cakes. A quick search turns up everything from applesauce, to pumpkin puree to tofu. Most of these will not get anywhere near my regular chocolate chip cookies as they bring their own distinct flavor to the party, and the ratios seem way off (1/4 applesauce for a single egg seems a little high). In addition, most of these subs lack the fat that an egg yolk provides and your cookies might be a bit dry and crumbly.

Best I've seen so far is boxed egg substitute from reviews, but I have no idea what's in it.

Short version, try the classic Toll House recipes with appropriate substitutes.

Longer version, see also the vegan thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Awesome. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do those pickles, but with a drop or two of soy sauce. Doesn't need much, but I think it's important

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I do those pickles, but with a drop or two of soy sauce. Doesn't need much, but I think it's important

what a bout a little fish sauce? that's what I usually do, and ill put mirin instead of extra sugar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

what a bout a little fish sauce? that's what I usually do, and ill put mirin instead of extra sugar.

Well that's what I'll do now.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I spent two weeks in Italy a year ago and one of the things I still miss most are the olives. My hosts called them sweet olives. They were bright green, very crisp, and not terribly salty. I haven't been able to find anything like that since returning. I've found a few places that offer olives with the same bright green color but they're quite salty and aren't nearly as crisp.

Am I hosed? Is there some way to get olives like that in the US? Do I need to learn to cure my own?

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Any suggestions for radishes? I'm in farmer's market overload. I made a big bowl of radish tzatziki and quick-pickled a couple for stir fry topping, but I still have about 5 big ones left and I'm having trouble coming up with anything other than salad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Aradekasta posted:

Any suggestions for radishes? I'm in farmer's market overload. I made a big bowl of radish tzatziki and quick-pickled a couple for stir fry topping, but I still have about 5 big ones left and I'm having trouble coming up with anything other than salad.

Grated and put into sauces for tempura and soba. Roasted. In salsa is good or tabbouleh. Depending on variety, split and eaten with butter and salt. Pickled and in banh mi. Truffle slicer works well for garnishing dishes and salads.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
While in Barcelona, our host fed us a wonderful melon that was somewhere in between a honeydew and a watermelon. He said it was locally renown and that I probably wouldn't be able to find it in the states. That's OK. I can justify going back to Spain simply to eat more of this melon.... but I don't know what to ask for.

He called it "Lizard Skin" melon, but this doesn't seem to exist on the internet. Any locals know what I should ask for when next I visit?

Edit: 2nd question, unrelated. Thai/Laos restaurants here serve a small sweet/spicy/sour dipping sauce with an order of spring rolls, clear/yellowish with matchsticks of carrot/radish. This is Nuoc Cham yes?

down1nit fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 27, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aradekasta posted:

MAKE KIMCHI FROM IT

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
@Panini: The easiest panini's I've make were with two cast iron skillets I heated at the same time. Still needed to flip the sandwich once because the top pan loses a lot of it's heat but does reduce the time between the cravings and the eatings.

@Chocolate Chip Cookies: This is not specific to vegan but what made my cookies a lot better was a sprinkling of salt on top. I am to the point where I will put salt on any cookie I make and so far it has improved all of them.

@down1nit: Are you thinking of the Galia by any chance?

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pickled and in banh mi.

dino. posted:

MAKE KIMCHI FROM IT

Okay, these are both happening, even if I have to buy another bunch and start a cycle of radish excess. It's too late for the current ones, but would radish greens be good in kimchi in addition to cabbage?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen kimchi of basically every plant so you can definitely do it. Whether it will be good or not, I have no idea.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aradekasta posted:

Okay, these are both happening, even if I have to buy another bunch and start a cycle of radish excess. It's too late for the current ones, but would radish greens be good in kimchi in addition to cabbage?

It would be extremely delicious. Just don't make the radish one in the same batch as the leafy one. I like my radish kimchi to be a little bit more on the crunchy side, and the leafy ones to be a bit more soft.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I usually do a pinch of salt and left it out on purpose because I was trying to save words. But yeah, a tiny bit of salt makes it way better. Soy, fish sauce, pinch of salt, anything. When I'm pickling green thai chiles I use salt, for red thai chiles I use both soy for color and fish sauce for flavor.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
This will probably sound really dumb, but what do I need to do with brown rice to make it not so...clumpy, I guess? I tried to make some fried rice but after following the instructions on the bag (boiling in water for 20 mins) it came out with an oatmeal like consistency (pretty close to the consistency you'd want for a risotto, I guess) and trying to fry it in a skillet was hilariously futile. Do I need to use a lot less water? Boil it for shorter periods? Or do I need to use a different kind of rice or something?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Less water.

You could also try refrigerating it and using it cold -- that's what fried rice is usually made from, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

tarepanda posted:

Less water.

You could also try refrigerating it and using it cold -- that's what fried rice is usually made from, anyway.

And if it's really moist, leave it in the fridge overnight, partially uncovered. Once you're ready for fried rice, use a spoon, potato masher, or something of the sort to break up the clumps.