Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Zapdos posted:

I'm glad you have no idea what the 1st Amendment says.
http://i.imgur.com/8xepU.jpg (linked because its huge)

It says I can tear down and cover up speech I disagree with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

McDowell posted:

I think writing a blog that directly inspires a guy in Norway to go on a one man terror spree counts as 'yelling fire in a crowded theater'
You're wrong.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Say what you will about Armyman's posting, he sure keeps this thread moving :allears:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

I'm so glad you hate the 1st Amendment.

Well the whole thing about Salamand Rushdie is a bit more nuanced that "all muslims want to kill and enslave others". Personally, I feel people have a right to say horrible, bigoted, racist things but they shouldn't really feel shocked or upset when most people call them out on it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LP97S posted:

Well the whole thing about Salamand Rushdie is a bit more nuanced that "all muslims want to kill and enslave others". Personally, I feel people have a right to say horrible, bigoted, racist things but they shouldn't really feel shocked or upset when most people call them out on it.

There is a difference between being called out on it and having your message literally defaced.

http://www.bikyamasr.com/71613/egypt-women-groups-urge-morsi-to-end-attacks-against-women/#!wp-prettyPhoto[g71613]/0/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Say what you will about Armyman's posting, he sure keeps this thread moving :allears:

Who did these?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

There is a difference between being called out on it and having your message literally defaced.

http://www.bikyamasr.com/71613/egypt-women-groups-urge-morsi-to-end-attacks-against-women/#!wp-prettyPhoto[g71613]/0/

I'm going to repost something of mine from the old thread:

Talking about free speech, the Stop $30 Billion to Israel group has been having problems with keeping billboards up. It's a multi-religous and multi-racial group run by a former member of AIPAC who quit after realizing how terrible the situation is and how a lot of modern Israeli history is exaggerated and even made up (read up about the New Historians for more info on that). First in 2009 they tried to run 10 of the billboard below in New Mexico for 8 weeks with a contract with Lamar Outdoor Advertising.

A little more than two weeks later, Lamar was "pressured" to take them down.

Then just a few weeks ago, they raised enough money to run 23 billboards in Los Angeles for four weeks with CBS Outdoor Advertising.

After getting them up, the group sent a petition to thank CBS Outdoors for putting them up, so a week later CBS Outdoors took them down because "your organization has used the ‘CBS Outdoor’ name without permission"

It's hard to get anything done. Here's the Mondowiess articles about the billboards.

http://mondoweiss.net/2009/04/man-who-says-he-is-former-aipac-member-puts-up-billboards-decrying-gaza-as-monstrous-inhumanity.html

http://mondoweiss.net/2009/04/billboards-criticizing-us-aid-to-israel-taken-down-underpressure.html

http://mondoweiss.net/2012/06/stop-30-billion-campaign-plasters-los-angeles-with-billboards.html

http://mondoweiss.net/2012/06/cbs-pulls-down-billboards-calling-for-end-to-us-aid-to-israel.html

Also, meanwhile this ad got OK'd.

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/10/mta_approves_anti-mosque_ad_with_pl.php

In conclusion, where legitimate messages are removed and racist and discriminatory scrawls by a woman who advocates that the Tea Party should join with the fascist English Defence League are allowed and kept, there's little hope.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LP97S posted:

I do agree though that spray painting can lead to some terrible things, especially with threats against the living.

Time for a Graffiti/Street Art megapost!

also:

quote:

Anti-fascists in Lower Saxony bricked up the front door of a top member of the extreme-right National Democratic Party's (NPD) home to protest against his presence at a city council meeting on Monday.

Not tolerating bigotry is more important than guaranteeing bigots have free speech.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 26, 2012

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Who did these?
That'd be Thomas Cole, my favorite artist.

He mostly did landscapes, and a lot of his landscapes have very nice overgrown ruins in them. I don't know that he did anything quite as appropriate for this thread as that series of paintings, The Course of Empire, so here's a random scene of life going on in the shadows of imperial ruin:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

http://www.sandowbirk.com/paintings/the-rise-and-fall-of-los-angeles/

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Armyman25 posted:

I'm so glad you hate the 1st Amendment.

Armyman25 posted:

There's also a difference between not being bothered about bigoted ads being defaced and hating the 1st Amendment.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/09/fox-obama-pirate-israel.php?ref=fpb

quote:

Fox and Friends, committed to covering the issues of the day, had a report Thursday morning on “Talk Like a Pirate Day,” an international holiday held on Sept. 19. The Obama campaign even celebrated the swashbuckling occasion by tweeting a picture of the president posing in the Oval Office with a pirate. “Arrr you in?” the campaign asked in its tweet.

“TOO BUSY FOR ISRAEL / PRESIDENT FINDS TIME FOR PIRATE, LETTERMAN,” Fox and Friends’ screen read Thursday. “This pirate got a sit-down in the Oval Office yesterday,” Fox and Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade said on-air. “So much for the Middle East peace. The White House doesn’t even have time to meet with Israel, but the president got a private sit-down with a pirate yesterday in the Oval Office. Sorry, Bibi,” Steeve Doocy added.

One small problem: the photo was taken in May 2009 for use as a joke during the White House Correspondents’ dinner.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Posted without comment.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

From a theme park in Beijing where kids get to practice shooting at helicopters with MANPADs.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

http://bloggingthesecurity.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/emotional-medevac-in-astan/

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
From a Virginia GOP Facebook page, which contains other wonderfully racist photos

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
American Rifleman magazine had a full page ad for this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
S-70's in PLA Service.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

LP97S posted:

S-70's in PLA Service.

I'm so glad Reagan took a hard stance against communism! :911:

Bar owner in Spain protecting protesters from police.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I miss the reddit thread :sigh:

Chopsticks
Jan 14, 2009

McDowell posted:

I think writing a blog that directly inspires a guy in Norway to go on a one man terror spree counts as 'yelling fire in a crowded theater'

I've seen these posted before, what are they from?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Chopsticks posted:

I've seen these posted before, what are they from?

From the land where people read the OP.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

McDowell posted:

What about my anti-jew blog? Or my anti-christian one? My freedom to be a bigot is in danger! :qq:

needs more anti-irish/white niggers

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

front wing flexing posted:

Got my new voter card in. Just need the card inside to vote, no picture ID. Cool.

Just had to get a drivers license to get the card :suicide:

Hm is this a new policy? I got mine long before I had a Driver's License. Maybe I used my passport though idk

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 26, 2012

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
USS Forrestal on fire in 1967 after a Zuni rocket misfired. This is the huge fire that McCain is sometimes blamed for. (it wasn't his fault)

USS Enterprise, which is currently on its' final cruise in the Persian Gulf, on fire in 1969 after a Zuni rocket misfired.

In short: oops.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

gently caress the French Secret Service.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

"Someone wrote 'Racist shite' on my 'Kill all the niggers' poster, this is an attack on free speech :qqsay:.

Edit: and it's not free speech, they paid about $6000 for that ad space to call all Palestinians Savages.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Carson Robinson was quite possibly the first country musician to sell a million records. That said, since he was popular in the 1940s and 1950s he produced some impressively cringeworthy songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ0emX5RgZQ (for what little it's worth, technically that song was by Bob Miller and only covered by Robinson.

"Their alibi for fighting is to save their face,
for ancestors waiting in Celestial space.
We'll kick their precious face, down to the other place
We've gotta slap the dirty little Jap."

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

It says; "Stick a pin in the Axis" along the base

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Obviously I'm a cynic, because the first thing I thought reading that was 'so, how long after she posted her name did people track down all her details and start mercilessly harassing her?'

Here's a picture of Gilles Deleuze, Michel Foucault and Jean-Paul Sartre:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

gently caress the French Secret Service.
It was pretty hilarious when I was trolling the Greenpeace forums how I could agree with them on almost everything from the Middle East to sustainable energy to how they shouldn't fish near-extinct tuna, except for whaling. Because that was personal, yo.

That's Grindadráp, which is a national pastime our cousins the Faroese engage in. Used to be they prioritized giving the meat from it to people what would need more nutrition, kids, pregnant women, old people and whatnot, but nowadays because the industrial nations have filled the ocean with poison it's dangerous to eat a lot of meat. Heavy metal poisoning and whatnot.
I thought it would be trans shaming, but no, it was religious bigotry. But hey, at least it ended well and all involved learned an important lesson.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Me too. The worst part is my stupid reddit using friends think that the pedophiles are gone now, and it's all okey dokey.

A good memorial to MLK (unlike the one that shall not be named)

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

"Many police, little fun"

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Forums Terrorist posted:

From a theme park in Beijing where kids get to practice shooting at helicopters with MANPADs.

quote:

A mujahedeen fighter fighter aims a Stinger missile at a passing airplane in 1988.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Defenestration posted:

A good memorial to MLK (unlike the one that shall not be named)

What's the other one?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It was pretty hilarious when I was trolling the Greenpeace forums how I could agree with them on almost everything from the Middle East to sustainable energy to how they shouldn't fish near-extinct tuna, except for whaling. Because that was personal, yo.

That's Grindadráp, which is a national pastime our cousins the Faroese engage in. Used to be they prioritized giving the meat from it to people what would need more nutrition, kids, pregnant women, old people and whatnot, but nowadays because the industrial nations have filled the ocean with poison it's dangerous to eat a lot of meat. Heavy metal poisoning and whatnot.

Because it sure does make sense to hunt species still recovering, particularly when they're dangerous to eat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dusseldorf posted:

What's the other one?

There is this infamous screwup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"