Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Juc66 posted:

I need a game like Arcanum.
Preferably more recent.

Does anything like that even exist?

There is Inquisitor. It is receiving mixed reviews.

Alternatively you can get in on the new game made by some of the people who made Arcarnum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a Sailing Vessel type game? Trying to think of a better way to phrase it. The most recent thing like it I can remember is Sid Meiers Pirates. I just got a urge to play that again and was wondering if anything similar/newer had been released.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone know of a Sailing Vessel type game? Trying to think of a better way to phrase it. The most recent thing like it I can remember is Sid Meiers Pirates. I just got a urge to play that again and was wondering if anything similar/newer had been released.

Port Royale 3 perhaps?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Just FYI, the combat mechanics for Port Royale are pretty simplistic, so if thats what you're jonesing for then it might not do it for you.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any games besides Dorf Fort (The learning curve seems way too high for me) that let you manage a base/fortress with some ultimate goal in mind? Or how about space ship games a mix between Mace Griffin and FTL?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Flippycunt posted:

Just FYI, the combat mechanics for Port Royale are pretty simplistic, so if thats what you're jonesing for then it might not do it for you.

Yeah that game looks pretty but it seems far more trade oriented which is not bad per se. But I was looking for something w/ good combat and other features. I realize that its a niche that hasn't had much activity lately.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend and I are looking for games to play with coop. We've played L4D to death but still go back to it every now and then because it's a quick way to kill ~45 minutes and just gently caress with each other by taking medkits, throwing fire at each other, and generally just being assholes. We had fun with Pay Day but with just two people it's a bit more difficult than we'd like it to be. Borderlands 1 we played a shitload of and did everything we could and we'd like to move onto Borderlands 2 but it's kind of pricey right now and he's unemployed. Portal 2 was fantastic and had the perfect amount of teammate fuckery and reasons to work together. Any suggestions? Preferably cheap/free games.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Len posted:

A friend and I are looking for games to play with coop. We've played L4D to death but still go back to it every now and then because it's a quick way to kill ~45 minutes and just gently caress with each other by taking medkits, throwing fire at each other, and generally just being assholes. We had fun with Pay Day but with just two people it's a bit more difficult than we'd like it to be. Borderlands 1 we played a shitload of and did everything we could and we'd like to move onto Borderlands 2 but it's kind of pricey right now and he's unemployed. Portal 2 was fantastic and had the perfect amount of teammate fuckery and reasons to work together. Any suggestions? Preferably cheap/free games.

Torchlight 2 just came out, it's only $20 and it seems pretty fun so far.

Team Fortress 2 also has some kind of co-op now but I don't know anything about it.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2012

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

Are there any games besides Dorf Fort (The learning curve seems way too high for me) that let you manage a base/fortress with some ultimate goal in mind?

Evil Genius comes to mind.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Evil Genius, Gnomoria, Towns, Startopia are all off the top of my head.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Evil Genius, Gnomoria, Towns, Startopia are all off the top of my head.
And Dungeon Keeper. Don't forget Dungeon Keeper.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Len posted:

Killing Floor, on sale now for <$7. The game can be as serious or as fun as you want.

Want to SERIOUS play on some server with teamwork and camp in a corner till everything goes to poo poo? Or play on some server that rolls slot machines when you kill dudes that might give you tons of money or delete all your bullets while you run zombies over in a 60s VW hippy bus?

Cheap and fun, my group of buddies always comes back to it when we can't decide what to play. The amount of content is immense too, so many custom maps exist.

I know you said you played a lot of L4D and so did I, which made me pretty leery about getting another zombie game at first. But they are not the same games at all. Saying that they both are zombie games is about as accurate as saying they both take place on planet Earth.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 22, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Beans posted:

Killing Floor, on sale now for <$7. The game can be as serious or as fun as you want.

Want to SERIOUS play on some server with teamwork and camp in a corner till everything goes to poo poo? Or play on some server that rolls slot machines when you kill dudes that might give you tons of money or delete all your bullets while you run zombies over in a 60s VW hippy bus?

Cheap and fun, my group of buddies always comes back to it when we can't decide what to play. The amount of content is immense too, so many custom maps exist.

Does it work well with two people? I've got it myself but it always seems like a thing you need a full group to actually do good at.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Len posted:

Does it work well with two people? I've got it myself but it always seems like a thing you need a full group to actually do good at.

It scales with the # of players so it should be fine. The game is generally more fun for me with about 5 or so people but I just like it when everything breaks down and every man is for themselves.

Are you guys opposed/limited to playing online for some reason? One of the biggest differences in KF vs L4D is playing online is way more chilled out. Where I would almost never play L4D online with people I don't know, I love playing KF with about 50/50 people I know and random pubs. But if you can't get online at all I might hold off and see if you get better suggestions.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 22, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Beans posted:

It scales with the # of players so it should be fine. The game is generally more fun for me with about 5 or so people but I just like it when everything breaks down and every man is for themselves.

Are you guys opposed/limited to playing online for some reason? One of the biggest differences in KF vs L4D is playing online is way more chilled out. Where I would almost never play L4D online with people I don't know, I love playing KF with about 50/50 people I know and random pubs.

We can play with pubs we just usually choose not too. They tend to ruin things by either being super awful or taking the game too seriously.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Len have you tried any of the Doom ports and WADs? Some are even specifically built for co-op. See the 2.5D FPS thread.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Len posted:

A friend and I are looking for games to play with coop.
You want Saints Row The Third. Two player co-op, and great "just loving around" gameplay.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah that game looks pretty but it seems far more trade oriented which is not bad per se. But I was looking for something w/ good combat and other features. I realize that its a niche that hasn't had much activity lately.

There was Age of Pirates 1 and 2 and Age of Sail 1 and 2 since Sid Meier's pirates and that is about it in this area. Be wared that all those are quite prone to crashes.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 23, 2012

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
After re-finding that amazing cycling 8bit pixel art again, I have a strong craving for beautiful but simple graphics. Can somebody recommend me a game that uses 8bit graphics? I've played Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, but I am having trouble finding other games that look similar.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MadBimber posted:

After re-finding that amazing cycling 8bit pixel art again, I have a strong craving for beautiful but simple graphics. Can somebody recommend me a game that uses 8bit graphics? I've played Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, but I am having trouble finding other games that look similar.

They Bleed Pixels is a recent game, very well reviewed, and very much NES-esque graphics.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

MadBimber posted:

Len posted:

A friend and I are looking for games to play with coop.

One answer that hopefully would fit both of you is Wanderlust.
Two answers are Turtles in Time and Kirby Superstar

One answer each would be
MadBimber: Comix Zone
Len: Sleep is Death, which is 100% just fuckin' around with your friend fun and it stays fun as long as you're both creative.

Two answers each would be
MadBimber: Mega Man 9 and Little Samson
Len: Castle Crashers and Diablo 2

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Scambl posted:

One answer that hopefully would fit both of you is Wanderlust.
Two answers are Turtles in Time and Kirby Superstar

One answer each would be
MadBimber: Comix Zone
Len: Sleep is Death, which is 100% just fuckin' around with your friend fun and it stays fun as long as you're both creative.

Two answers each would be
MadBimber: Mega Man 9 and Little Samson
Len: Castle Crashers and Diablo 2

Sans Mega Man 9, I have actually played all of those. That said I do appreciate the creative answer :shobon:

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

MadBimber posted:

Sans Mega Man 9, I have actually played all of those. That said I do appreciate the creative answer :shobon:

Have you played Crystal Palace? It's a good game, and the graphics are awesome.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like a really, really difficult puzzle game, in the style of Spacechem. The longer and more brain-twisting, the better.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

I'd like a really, really difficult puzzle game, in the style of Spacechem. The longer and more brain-twisting, the better.

Have you played A Virus Named Tom? It's pretty difficult.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
I'm just about burned out on Skyrim and am looking for something new. Ideally there would be loads of customisation options for your character and weapons. Free roaming would be a bonus too. I've played Dragons Dogma and Dragon Age and enjoyed both. For the Xbox by the way.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

Prions! posted:

I'm just about burned out on Skyrim and am looking for something new. Ideally there would be loads of customisation options for your character and weapons. Free roaming would be a bonus too. I've played Dragons Dogma and Dragon Age and enjoyed both. For the Xbox by the way.

Space Rangers 2: Reboot.

This game is regarded as maybe the best "Space RPG/sandbox/sim" ever made. I think it's just as good as those games, and it's cheaper too. You choose a pilot, a ship, a race, and then you just go around doing whatever the hell you want. You can ignore the main quest for as long as you want, actually the main quest will "complete" itself even if you don't interfere. The NPCs will just go and do it for you, how cool is that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Realism posted:

The NPCs will just go and do it for you, how cool is that.

Honestly, this needs to happen in more games.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I'm looking for a turn based strategy browser MMO to play. I don't really know what specifically so multiple recommendations would be nice.

Have played (and don't want to play again): Urban Dead, Ogame, Space Federation Galactic Conquest

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Blowdryer posted:

I'm looking for a turn based strategy browser MMO to play. I don't really know what specifically so multiple recommendations would be nice.

Have played (and don't want to play again): Urban Dead, Ogame, Space Federation Galactic Conquest

Pardus.

You're welcome.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there any such thing as a multiplayer roguelike? It's important that it has at least some semblance of graphics and isn't just ASCII too. Do they exist?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there any such thing as a multiplayer roguelike? It's important that it has at least some semblance of graphics and isn't just ASCII too. Do they exist?

Traditional roguelikes are turn-based is the thing. You could play Gauntlet maybe?

Assuming, of course, you don't just want to play Diablo. The first one even has a single huge dungeon.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 25, 2012

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE

Douche Bag posted:

I need some recommendations for some good casual PC games. Preferably things I can get on Steam

MTG 2013 is pretty casual.

Industrial posted:

I'm looking for games that can easily be interrupted or do not require my undivided attention at all times

You could play Dominions 3, which is turn based (single & mp). Also King of Dragon Pass is a pretty deep choose-your-own-adventure/RPG style game with nice art.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008
I wonder if there is a game where you are an animal in the wilderness and just roam around open-world style hunting other animals and stuff. While at the same time you fight for territory, mate, survive, you get the idea.

The only games I can find are these 2 retro games:

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=1276

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?name=Lion

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Realism posted:

I wonder if there is a game where you are an animal in the wilderness and just roam around open-world style hunting other animals and stuff. While at the same time you fight for territory, mate, survive, you get the idea.

The only games I can find are these 2 retro games:

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?id=1276

http://homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?name=Lion

Tokyo Jungle is quite a bit like that. Literally came out on PSN in North America, like, today.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like a Zelda/Metroid style game. I've played most of those two series, plus La-Mulana and Cave Story. Platform/age of the game doesn't matter.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time but I have never played another SRPG. I've heard Disgaea 4 is one of the best but also pretty crazy. I think I should work my way up to it. Can anyone recommend a few of the other top SRPGs?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I've been playing FTL recently and having a blast, so I'm wondering whether or not there have been any other games with the same setting and style? Stuff like X3 is perfectly valid, but I'm not really up to date at all so any suggestions would be great.

Elswyyr posted:

I'd like a Zelda/Metroid style game. I've played most of those two series, plus La-Mulana and Cave Story. Platform/age of the game doesn't matter.

If you have an 360, maybe try Shadow Complex?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I haven't played the first stalker since it came out and I'd like to get back into it. Are the developer released patches good enough or is there a fan-made patch thats alot better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I have sort of an odd request. My little girl is fascinated by watching me play games and it often keeps her entertained (and hey I have fun to). But what I need is something that has as story line and voice acting. She is right at the reading stage but sometimes reading out all the dialogue can get a bit tiresome. So having some solid cut scenes where to story can make sense to her. The catch is here something that is relativity kid friendly. So nothing with over the top violence and cursing. Any genre would do but I would prefer to play it on PC.

And ideas? Thanks