Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Blue Screen Error posted:

Can't believe I'm reading positive comments about that smug public school tosser Whitehall. I'm guessing it must be some sort of Stockholm syndrome after him being on literally every loving comedy programme in the last few years.

He's essentially the Wesley Crusher of TV comedy.

I couldnt give a gently caress about his education this isnt d&d, he fits his role in bad education very well as a really awkward teacher, hopefully some of the jokes are better in season 2.

The wesley crusher of British tv comedy is David Mitchell by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mickolution posted:

The British is a weird show. I've not seen the most recent yet, but it's both a vert interesting history series and the worst piece of poo poo I've ever seen. They were so close to doing something great, but hosed it up with the awful talking heads. Who sat in a room thinking "Who can we get to talk about the Peasants Revolt?" "Got it, Frank Lampard!"

On a similar note, anyone see Andrew Marr's History of the World on Sunday? I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread. I thought it was great. There was a lot of conjecture in it, but that's to be expected with the period he was covering. I'm expecting great things from it over the next couple of months.

I enjoyed Marr's show, but I wish to holy hell he would stop pronouncing iron as 'Eye-rron'.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Can't believe I'm reading positive comments about that smug public school tosser Whitehall. I'm guessing it must be some sort of Stockholm syndrome after him being on literally every loving comedy programme in the last few years.

I agree completely. I watched the 90s quiz thing, and he didn't make me laugh or even smile once, not even with his 'terrified, honest' bit when Blobby came on. He's on a par with Russell Howard as far as how-the-gently caress-are-you-getting-paid-for-this comedians go.

That Blobby bit was the funniest thing I've seen in ages though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Leon with a Zero posted:

I couldnt give a gently caress about his education this isnt d&d, he fits his role in bad education very well as a really awkward teacher, hopefully some of the jokes are better in season 2.

David Mitchell is funny a decent amount of the time though? And the reason people go on about Jack Whitehall's very privileged upbringing is because he clearly hasn't got his career through his own merits, but from his parents' showbiz connections as powerful agents.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Trickjaw posted:

I enjoyed Marr's show, but I wish to holy hell he would stop pronouncing iron as 'Eye-rron'.

You mean you wish a Scottish man didn't have a Scottish accent? :)

Leon with a Zero posted:

I think the problem with his education/class is that he uses the "post but saying something rude" thing a bit too much. I've only really seen him on poo poo talking heads shows or HIGNFY, so maybe there's more to him than that.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

marktheando posted:

David Mitchell is funny a decent amount of the time though? And the reason people go on about Jack Whitehall's very privileged upbringing is because he clearly hasn't got his career through his own merits, but from his parents' showbiz connections as powerful agents.

Outside of peep show David Mitchell is about as funny as a burning orphanage. His "im going to moan about something a lot and people will loving find it hilarious" routine wasnt even funny the first time but he's done it in print, multiple tv shows, web series hes basically a semi-serious diluted mark corrigan. His whole shtick boils down to "haha he moaned about something, great". That said im not surprised many on the internet love this.

In fact the only thing of worth he has done is a sitcom, much like whitehall. As i said im not judging either persons upbringing, ill judge them on what they have done on tv. I find both mitchell and whitehall pretty abhorrent on british tv but at least ill give credit where credit is due.

Mickolution posted:

I think the problem with his education/class is that he uses the "post but saying something rude" thing a bit too much. I've only really seen him on poo poo talking heads shows or HIGNFY, so maybe there's more to him than that.

I think that's what it really boils down to, with all these panel shows its pretty easy to get sick to the back teeth with a comedian or routine far easier when they are parroting it on everything.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Bad Education is terrible, I can confirm.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Leon with a Zero posted:

Outside of peep show David Mitchell is about as funny as a burning orphanage. His "im going to moan about something a lot and people will loving find it hilarious" routine wasnt even funny the first time but he's done it in print, multiple tv shows, web series hes basically a semi-serious diluted mark corrigan. His whole shtick boils down to "haha he moaned about something, great". That said im not surprised many on the internet love this.

In fact the only thing of worth he has done is a sitcom, much like whitehall. As i said im not judging either persons upbringing, ill judge them on what they have done on tv. I find both mitchell and whitehall pretty abhorrent on british tv but at least ill give credit where credit is due.

Mitchell is incredible on Would I Lie To You, and usually really good on QI as well. So what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

On another subject, I usually like both Phill Jupitus and Noel Fielding. Why is it that whenever I catch a Never Mind The Buzzcocks episode from after Amstell left, I don't find it funny at all? I mean I like Amstell a lot (I find Grandma's House weirdly relatable), but it can't have been all him, can it? Viewing some older episodes with Lamarr on YouTube seems to confirm that though.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Mitchell is incredible on Would I Lie To You, and usually really good on QI as well. So what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

So he's been tolerable on two things out of how many shows he's been on? oh alright that makes him incredible? Look it's obvious there are fans of his shtick here, thats fine but its like that other poster pointed out with whitehall its probably down to stockholm syndrome after him being on literally every loving comedy programme in the last few years.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Leon with a Zero posted:

So he's been tolerable on two things out of how many shows he's been on? oh alright that makes him incredible? Look it's obvious there are fans of his shtick here, thats fine but its like that other poster pointed out with whitehall its probably down to stockholm syndrome after him being on literally every loving comedy programme in the last few years.

Complete bullshit. I'm not British and certainly don't watch enough British television to suffer any kind of Stockholm Syndrome. He's incredible cause he consistently makes me laugh on the shows mentioned above. And stop trying to force that Wesley Crusher thing, it's basically the forum equivalent of lazy catchphrase comedy.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

It's almost as if humour is entirely subjective.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Complete bullshit. I'm not British and certainly don't watch enough British television to suffer any kind of Stockholm Syndrome. He's incredible cause he consistently makes me laugh on the shows mentioned above. And stop trying to force that Wesley Crusher thing, it's basically the forum equivalent of lazy catchphrase comedy.

Well i am and i do and in my case the Wesley crusher thing isn't forced when its completely applicable to this situation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Shut the gently caress up and watch nice people bake twee cakes.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

FreakyZoid posted:

Yes. Then again, what I was mostly replying to was the claim that people only like David Mitchell because he's been pushed down their throats, which I find rather ridiculous.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Shut the gently caress up and watch nice people bake twee cakes.

Fine with me.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

It is but you can easily tell when when someone is just pandering to a certain crowd and not being that funny at all when you do the same thing on a multiple variety of panel shows as you do in multiple guardian articles and web series etc etc. I honestly don't see how that wouldnt become tedious and obnoxious.

In other news is homeland going to be on like a day/week? after they air it on american tv? I remember watching the first season on 4 sometime after it aired on showtime.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jesus Christ you are coming across as a pretentious arse.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Even more so than David Mitchell in fact.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bake chat: Why do they wear the same clothes on the second day?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HoldYourFire posted:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

He is attempting to say that Mitchell is not funny because he, with his refined sense of humour, does not like him. And that people who do like Mitchell do so because they are uncultured sheep.

Or did you mean arse?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He is attempting to say that Mitchell is not funny because he, with his refined sense of humour, does not like him. And that people who do like Mitchell do so because they are uncultured sheep.

Or did you mean arse?

Thats not what im saying at all, i said credit where credit is due, i even praised his work in peep show.

edit i also didnt say anything about uncultured sheep? where are you getting this?

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 26, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Bake chat: Why do they wear the same clothes on the second day?

So's the editors can do wee sneaky cuts between the days without having to worry about continuity issues? For example, maybe the cameraman forgot to take a shot of Sinister Brendan weighing flour on day 1 and they needed a shot like that to illustrate one of Mel and Sues' dreadful puns, they can just use a shot from day 2 instead.

Also, David Mitchell looks like my cousins perpetually worried pug dog, so I've never been able to enjoy his comedy properly. When I see him I just get this overwhelming urge to feed him a dog biscuit. I think that's probably worse than finding him either funny or awful.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Irisi posted:

When I see him I just get this overwhelming urge to feed him a dog biscuit.

I think that says more about you than him, creep.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Whenever I see David Mitchell I think he looks like a frog. :frog:

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
I'm watching Drugs Live. It's like Brasseye but real.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I just watched The Valleys.

gently caress this world.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm finding it so random that Andy Samberg is in a BBC three show.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Leon with a Zero posted:

Did Mitchell only get his job because of nepotism? Because thats where I was going with the Wesley Crusher analogy, well that and being a smug, annoying, child.

Whitehall is even going to be on loving QI this series, I wonder who's knees his Dad threatened to break to get that happening.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
If somebody doesn't find David Mitchell's sketch show work hilarious then I don't want to meet them.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 27, 2012

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

NaDy posted:

I'm finding it so random that Andy Samberg is in a BBC three show.

Really liked this (Cuckoo). And thought Samberg was perfect casting: all he has to do is say something ridiculous, then do that poo poo-eating grin, and it's funny every time (at least for 1 episode, we'll see I suppose.)

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

A new series of Russell Howard's Good News starts tonight.

A new series. A seventh series. Of Russell Howard's Good News.

:cripes:

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Zythrst posted:

If somebody doesn't find David Mitchell's sketch show work hilarious then I don't want to meet them.

Peep Show for crying out loud! Peep Show!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They're probably scared of the prospect of Mitchell/Coren offspring being the most waspish entities ever conceived.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I've been out of the UK for 3 years now, what's all this I'm reading about Justin Lee Collins being an evil mean who abused his partner in really psychologically disturbing and hosed up ways, such as making her write down every single sexual encounter she ever had so that he could use it against her, and if she didn't do it, he said he would leave her.
When did all this come to light?
This is the article I read:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/26/justin-lee-collins-accused-violence-cruelty-girlfriend?newsfeed=true

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Did Mitchell only get his job because of nepotism?

Nah you're thinking of Dave Gorman and his horrible friend Danny Wallace.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Who else watched the channel 4 ecstasy thing? I thought it was interesting, but perhaps didn't actually need to be LIVE. I mean, Jon Snow read out like two questions from twitter, both of which were pretty much dismissed with 'we'll be talking about that tomorrow'.

The impression I was getting was that, intentionally or otherwise, the show was quite pro-MDMA. This was fine by me, because MDMA is loving great, but I kind of would have actually liked to have a bit more discussion with the anti-MDMA guy, cos he only got like two minutes.

Still, hopefully it might change some opinions on drugs.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
If you watched Drugs Live and want to know some more about David Nutt and his work, here is a lecture given by him that I had the pleasure of recording/editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIoL5L7HqA

Sorry for the lovely sound quality, we had problems that night.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Giedroyc posted:

Nah you're thinking of Dave Gorman and his horrible friend Danny Wallace.
Is that true though? His wiki doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a comedian/writer around that time. Even if it is because of nepotism, I'm willing to let it slide on account of his first 2 BBC shows being both brilliant at comedy and story-telling. Jack Whitehall on the other hand is literally poo poo at everything.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Gorn Myson posted:

Is that true though? His wiki doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a comedian/writer around that time. Even if it is because of nepotism, I'm willing to let it slide on account of his first 2 BBC shows being both brilliant at comedy and story-telling. Jack Whitehall on the other hand is literally poo poo at everything.

It's just coincidence I'm sure that a new BBC producer (whose claim to fame prior to that was writing the often parodied comedy gossip column 'funny talk' on the BBC website) dared a relative unknown comedian (who happened to be his flatmate) to a wacky adventure... that the same pair made into a tv show. During the Jane Root era of BBC2 no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The Perfect Element posted:

Who else watched the channel 4 ecstasy thing? I thought it was interesting, but perhaps didn't actually need to be LIVE. I mean, Jon Snow read out like two questions from twitter, both of which were pretty much dismissed with 'we'll be talking about that tomorrow'.

The impression I was getting was that, intentionally or otherwise, the show was quite pro-MDMA. This was fine by me, because MDMA is loving great, but I kind of would have actually liked to have a bit more discussion with the anti-MDMA guy, cos he only got like two minutes.

Still, hopefully it might change some opinions on drugs.

I had the feeling that the show was pro-mdma, or at least pro-facts. The anti-mdma side of things seemed a little weaker as in the only person who had a negative effect from it seemed like my mates dad, they had a guy called professor parrot who wasn't used to speaking on television and shabz. Probably going to be a few more wobbly jaws this weekend.