Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

So, basically, an attorney can theoretically perform ANY court case so long as they have both the right paperwork and proof that they are competent enough to do so?

There's no paperwork or competence required, but it's separated by state. Like ibntumart is admitted in CA, I'm admitted in VA, and we can each go go buck wild in our respective states. We don't show ID and aren't limited in practice area. But outside of our state, we're just bums on the street unless we get permission on a specific case. (Federal court is its own animal, but typically by submitting a form you're admitted into the federal court of a state where you're already admitted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can practice law for a corporation or a government in an other state other than the state in which you are barred. However, as mentioned, you can't appear on behalf of your client in another state (unless you get pro hac vice'd in).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also there's the patent bar, which is it's own thing

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Choadmaster posted:

Plywood isn't a great backstop since it has potential to gently caress up your arrows (due to the hard impact and tips getting stuck). Take the frame you were going to screw the plywood to and hang scrap carpet from it instead. Scrap carpet is free, so why not?

Arrows will go a great distance. My friend's kid's arrows go over 50 yards (maybe close to 75) when he misses the backstop, and he's using a lovely 15-20lb kiddy bow. Even at that distance they're going fast enough to embed themselves in trees occasionally. You will be raining death down onto your street unless your front yard is massive.

I'll second this.

I use nothing but the crappiest of arrows if I do it at home. They also have zero problem going through 1" think cedar boards, with a few inches of the arrow coming out the other side. Even with 6-8" of thick foam padding, they'll still make their way through it and get a little into the fence. I've had notches shatter from hitting the wood as well as having the insert get stuck in the board, when trying to get the arrow out.

Now imagine a worst case scenario where a stray arrow goes flying out of your yard.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

That explains it. I've heard plenty of horror stories about doc review in NYC, DC, and pretty much everywhere else. Stuff like working in unventilated basements, no OT pay, or $20 an hour reviews. Outright lying about probable project durations doesn't really shock me.

Not that I think there's much you can do about it, sadly. (Well, except move to Silicon Valley, I guess.)

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, it's pretty drat bad. When I did it several years ago it was $32 an hour, but the market has cratered since.

Doc review companies are the middlemen to litigation teams that also don't know what the hell they're doing. The litigation team totally mismanages it, wildly misses estimates for document volume, and then the case settles without warning. The doc review has to gear up with staff like it's a long-haul case, but it doesn't give the slightest crap about screwing over the staff.

And as I'm sure shagadelic has experienced, the deep idiocy of doc review itself is mind-boggling. You have to disengage your logic circuits and just go with the flow or you'll blow your brains out. It can be a relaxed job, but it has a unique set of extreme frustrations. I don't wanna go off on a (long) rant about it, but anyone who has done the job could write 5 pages of "GOD DAMMIT THIS IS OUR FOURTH REDO AND YOU SERIOUSLY JUST SAID THAT SALES FIGURES ARE NON-RESPONSIVE? SERIOUSLY? gently caress YOU".

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
*sigh* Here we go: is it legal for a middle school to force a kid to write and give an apology letter to another kid in order for that kid to come back to school after suspension? My stepson (13) punched out a kid who left 16 threats on our phone to beat the poo poo out of him, giving exact ways and days he was going to do this to my kid. Since he threw the first punch, the school considers my kid the bully instead of the wordsmith. WTF, can schools really do this nowadays? I am old; we used to just solve things like this by separating the kids and the parents threatening the beat the poo poo out of both of them if it happened again and that was plenty. I really don't think my kid needs to do any apologizing; can they keep him out of school till he does?

PS Yes this is literally petty drama for kids, but I am truly pissed off at the PC atmosphere of schools these days.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

errol _flynn posted:

*sigh* Here we go: is it legal for a middle school to force a kid to write and give an apology letter to another kid in order for that kid to come back to school after suspension? My stepson (13) punched out a kid who left 16 threats on our phone to beat the poo poo out of him, giving exact ways and days he was going to do this to my kid. Since he threw the first punch, the school considers my kid the bully instead of the wordsmith. WTF, can schools really do this nowadays? I am old; we used to just solve things like this by separating the kids and the parents threatening the beat the poo poo out of both of them if it happened again and that was plenty. I really don't think my kid needs to do any apologizing; can they keep him out of school till he does?

PS Yes this is literally petty drama for kids, but I am truly pissed off at the PC atmosphere of schools these days.

Don't need to be a lawyer for this one, in most schools it's pretty much no questions asked expulsion for assault. Be glad your son isn't facing criminal charges.

He's being offered a solution that doesn't harm anything but his/your pride.

If the threats continue he should deal with them the way schools do nowadays: Report it and let the school/police deal with it. (which in most cases they will harshly, read about the myriad of kids expelled for even the vaguest of threats)

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.

errol _flynn posted:

A lot more schools are doing mediation like this now. I'm a teacher, not a lawyer. I'm not condoning nor condemning the practice...I just know it's a big part of trying to get the kids to work out the differences so they won't fight again.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

woozle wuzzle posted:

Yeah, it's pretty drat bad. When I did it several years ago it was $32 an hour, but the market has cratered since.

It used to be $40 in the SF Bay Area before the economy crashed. I don't think it ever dipped below ~$33, though, and rates are back to the ~$40 range at least. If you know Korean or Japanese, it's significantly higher.

woozle wuzzle posted:

Doc review companies are the middlemen to litigation teams that also don't know what the hell they're doing. The litigation team totally mismanages it, wildly misses estimates for document volume, and then the case settles without warning. The doc review has to gear up with staff like it's a long-haul case, but it doesn't give the slightest crap about screwing over the staff.

I've been been a project manager for document review projects, so believe me, I know all too well the joys of working with associates or partners whose notion of how many documents there are, how long it will take to get through them, and how accurate the search terms are have been wildly divergent with reality.

woozle wuzzle posted:

And as I'm sure shagadelic has experienced, the deep idiocy of doc review itself is mind-boggling. You have to disengage your logic circuits and just go with the flow or you'll blow your brains out. It can be a relaxed job, but it has a unique set of extreme frustrations. I don't wanna go off on a (long) rant about it, but anyone who has done the job could write 5 pages of "GOD DAMMIT THIS IS OUR FOURTH REDO AND YOU SERIOUSLY JUST SAID THAT SALES FIGURES ARE NON-RESPONSIVE? SERIOUSLY? gently caress YOU".

If it helps, I've both given those rants and commiserated with fellow reviewers' rants plenty in my time.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Skywriter posted:

A lot more schools are doing mediation like this now. I'm a teacher, not a lawyer. I'm not condoning nor condemning the practice...I just know it's a big part of trying to get the kids to work out the differences so they won't fight again.

The kids already did settle it, it was settled with the fight. The messages stopped after the fight and both kids have said it's done already. My question is,and maybe as a teacher you can give me some insight, can a school force my kid to write an apology to a kid who was threatening him as a condition to ending suspension?

(And yes, as far as I am concerned, the kid got what was coming to him; sixteen loving times he left messages going on about where, when and how he was going to beat the poo poo out of my kid. He's a known bully in the school system and my kid's one of the smaller, scrappier kids.I'm sure he thought my kid would be easy pickings.)

kriminal
Oct 18, 2004
I have a friend who is an illegal alien. He has two kids with an american citizen and they are not married.
She turned psycho on him and is threatening to deport him unless he gives them money. She is also claiming she will take him to court for child support.

I know this is a tough situation, but from what I have found online it is impossible to deport someone on 1 claim who is not a criminal. And being illegal paid under the table it is impossible to make him pay child support.

However as far as any rights with his kids in the US, hes pretty much screwed right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

errol _flynn posted:

I would consult an attorney. There is absolutely nothing keeping that letter from being used against him in a criminal prosecution or a civil suit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, I had a cop today try to confiscate my cane because he said it was a weapon. After 20 minutes of arguing, I got fed up enough that I told him to arrest me or not and give up and left, but I'm still pretty pissed. Sadly, in my retarded storm-off I forgot his name and badge number. Do I have any recourse? Do I have something I can do in the future to stop this from happening, besides going to Whacky Marty's Discount House of Knees and not needing a cane anymore?

I'm in New York, and this was in Grand Central. No litigation ever.

(gently caress the Police.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, I had a cop today try to confiscate my cane because he said it was a weapon. After 20 minutes of arguing, I got fed up enough that I told him to arrest me or not and give up and left, but I'm still pretty pissed. Sadly, in my retarded storm-off I forgot his name and badge number. Do I have any recourse? Do I have something I can do in the future to stop this from happening, besides going to Whacky Marty's Discount House of Knees and not needing a cane anymore?

I'm in New York, and this was in Grand Central. No litigation ever.

(gently caress the Police.)

ADA laws have built in attorney fees, but I am not sure if your case is the type that would qualify. You might contact an ADA attorney.

Otherwise, NYPD almost certainly has an ADA compliance department and might be worth contacting otherwise. These people do take this stuff fairly seriously, unlike IA departments, because the liability issue is massive (lots of lawsuit trolling).

Otherwise, you state has some regulatory agency that covers this. In California, at least, they are complete assholes to those not compliant.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

What do I do about a stolen identity?

Someone used my personal information to open a credit card before my 18th birthday with Capital One. This card now shows as closed as of 04/2012. It shows on my credit report as an adverse account.

I called Capital One and they have started a dispute with the credit agencies. Is there anything else I can do?

I was the 2nd post on the last page, thought I might requote myself. I could use some advise about this as I don't want it to happen again and I want to clear up my current credit "history".

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

SlayVus posted:

I was the 2nd post on the last page, thought I might requote myself. I could use some advise about this as I don't want it to happen again and I want to clear up my current credit "history".

Have you registered for at one of those sites like freecreitreport, experian or whatever. You can also dispute the issue from there. Since you've been a victim, you might want to consider ponying up the monthly fee to keep an eye on it. Otherwise I think you can request 2 reports a year for free. Don't quote me on that.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

nm posted:

I would consult an attorney. There is absolutely nothing keeping that letter from being used against him in a criminal prosecution or a civil suit.

That's a good point from a legal point of view. Criminal charges probably aren't off the table either, right?

But, back to his question, I'm pretty sure it's legal for them to set terms like that (depending on the city/state/district) to avoid expulsion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That's a good point from a legal point of view. Criminal charges probably aren't off the table either, right?

But, back to his question, I'm pretty sure it's legal for them to set terms like that (depending on the city/state/district) to avoid expulsion.
Requiring him to incriminate himself? Iffy ground, but I don't know the case law re:schools.

Killy
Mar 15, 2007

Faster, pussycat, kill, kill!
So, how do I explain this... I hired a cleaning "company" to clean my new apartment under the good faith that this person (who I used to be coworkers with) wasn't gonna gently caress me over. They quoted $700 which is HIGH but he assured me that he was waxing the floors and making it look brand new and that I can pay him off in three payments... They came, they cleaned but the place was overlooked A LOT. The walls weren't cleaned which the quote claimed it was, the floors weren't really sanded and waxed, just buffed and coated with quick drying poo poo and it was spotty... The apartment is in Brighton, MA (outside of Boston). It's a 3 bedroom apartment. I payed one of the three payments, but everyone I talk to INCLUDING my room mates think he is fuckig me over. I feel like I got hosed over, too but I was too nice to say anything at first because I trusted him. Do I have any legal rights?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral
So I created this thread about a consumer issue I am having in the UK, involving a high end PC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508974

(in hindsight the SH/SC may have been the wrong place to post it and I was pointed here)

Would really appreciate some feedback and advice on how to proceed.

Thank you kindly.

tl;dr High end PC, within 1 year 6 months has had five major RMA faults. Company refuses to accept poor quality build. Suggested recourse?

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2012

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Check whatever the appropriate consumer protection statutes are for the UK; contract common law in the area of consumer goods has been displaced for the most part by broad and generous consumer protection statutes in most places.

There's very likely a section of whatever the act is that requires goods to be merchantable or reasonably fit for the purpose for which they're sold. A computer breaking 5 times in a year and a half probably qualifies, but I don't really know.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I updated my post in that thread, I don't know if you caught it.

The consumer protection statute itself isn't the issue, as Manac0r already brought that up. The seller responded not-entirely-coherently that because the system was customized and had "19 non-stock parts" or whatever, it was a commissioned good and therefore somehow the Sales of Goods Act didn't apply in full force in some nonspecific manner that meant they didn't have to pay for any parts if they didn't want to.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That's probably not the case, but I have absolutely no knowledge of the statute

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Killy posted:

So, how do I explain this... I hired a cleaning "company" to clean my new apartment under the good faith that this person (who I used to be coworkers with) wasn't gonna gently caress me over. They quoted $700 which is HIGH but he assured me that he was waxing the floors and making it look brand new and that I can pay him off in three payments... They came, they cleaned but the place was overlooked A LOT. The walls weren't cleaned which the quote claimed it was, the floors weren't really sanded and waxed, just buffed and coated with quick drying poo poo and it was spotty... The apartment is in Brighton, MA (outside of Boston). It's a 3 bedroom apartment. I payed one of the three payments, but everyone I talk to INCLUDING my room mates think he is fuckig me over. I feel like I got hosed over, too but I was too nice to say anything at first because I trusted him. Do I have any legal rights?

You have a oh so fun oral contract. As a result you'll spend more than it's worth to deal with legally, but you can get a lawyer to write a letter for you demanding such and such reduction for inadequate workmanship etc. Beyond that it is likely not worth your time or your money.

Lesson: Next time get it in writing with a satisfaction clause.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Killy posted:

Rather than trying to get out of an oral contract, see if you can have him make good on his claims in order to get the price he quoted you. You both win that way, and then you can tell him to drop dead.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008

errol _flynn posted:

The kids already did settle it, it was settled with the fight. The messages stopped after the fight and both kids have said it's done already. My question is,and maybe as a teacher you can give me some insight, can a school force my kid to write an apology to a kid who was threatening him as a condition to ending suspension?

(And yes, as far as I am concerned, the kid got what was coming to him; sixteen loving times he left messages going on about where, when and how he was going to beat the poo poo out of my kid. He's a known bully in the school system and my kid's one of the smaller, scrappier kids.I'm sure he thought my kid would be easy pickings.)

I would tend to agree with nm on this about consulting an attorney. Your district may have something in place regarding consequences and punishments, ie, which course of action is taken for what type of offense, dependent upon how many times that child has already been in trouble, etc. It's not really something an administrator should just make up out of thin air. Or, that's the way it's supposed to be. Bigger districts are generally better about this than smaller districts, and that's where an attorney would be able to find the loophole and advocate on your behalf.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I have a friend whose sole source of income for many years has been disability payments from the government. During the past 2 years, he did not elect to have any percent automatically taken out for taxes, and did not file his taxes independently.

Next month, he has a case coming up and should be getting 3 years worth of back pay. He asked me what to do, and being a good disciple of the law thread I told him not to call the IRS(his plan), but instead do one of those free or low-cost phone consultations with a local attorney for best options on how to proceed. Again, he's not hiding any wages, I don't think it will be a big deal if he calls them up with forms filled out and a check written. Did I give good advice? Anything else I should pass along to him?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Hey legal goons. My wife quit her job a couple of weeks ago and her employer called her today telling her that if she wanted to claim her final check she had to drive back out to their headquarters (several hour drive, they're making her go into an office she never worked at). She did give more than two weeks notice; my reading of the law is that if an employee gives more than 72 hours notice, the employer is obligated to pay at the time of quitting (on the employees last day).

If the employee gives less than 72 hours notice the employer must pay the final check within 72 hours. Either way, once that period expires the employer is obligated to pay for each day of an employees wages for each day they haven't paid out. I'm just wondering if these laws are nationwide or not? I am in Oregon but most of the references I saw online were for California.

Finally, does the employee have to sue to get the extra day wages, or will asking for it normally result in them being paid? This company has been pretty weak on following laws and regulations in the past, so I was suggesting that my wife do whatever it takes to get any appropriate penalties or fines levied, however, she'll just take the extra money if they're supposed to just "add it on" otherwise, no lawyering up so long as they pay for worked hours and PTO.

Thoughts?

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 28, 2012

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

What Fun posted:

Next month, he has a case coming up and should be getting 3 years worth of back pay. He asked me what to do, and being a good disciple of the law thread I told him not to call the IRS(his plan), but instead do one of those free or low-cost phone consultations with a local attorney for best options on how to proceed. Again, he's not hiding any wages, I don't think it will be a big deal if he calls them up with forms filled out and a check written. Did I give good advice? Anything else I should pass along to him?

He needs to meet with a competent tax preparer ASAP. He may have to pay tax on that money, and by far the easiest time to do it is when he first gets it. The IRS won't tell him jack, and an attorney may not know the exact ins and outs of the forms. A good tax accountant will. He's not going to get in any trouble, it's just getting it right the first time.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Skywriter posted:

I would tend to agree with nm on this about consulting an attorney. Your district may have something in place regarding consequences and punishments, ie, which course of action is taken for what type of offense, dependent upon how many times that child has already been in trouble, etc. It's not really something an administrator should just make up out of thin air. Or, that's the way it's supposed to be. Bigger districts are generally better about this than smaller districts, and that's where an attorney would be able to find the loophole and advocate on your behalf.

I did talk to one, before and after the meeting at the school. The principal's eyebrows shot up a bit when I told him the kid my kid hit had left sixteen very specific threats on my phone over the weekend prior to their fight and quoted several of them to him; he asked if I was going to involved the police and I said no, of course not, it's kids scrapping in a kid fight and it's the only time my kid has been in any kind of trouble or a fight since the fourth grade. I also explained that while my kid was at home, we got calls from other kids thanking him for punching out the bully kid; those kids had been bullied by that kid, too, and I guess it made them feel vicariously pretty happy. Things seemed to calm a lot after that as well. We talked quite a bit about how the two boys had resolved things between them; each agreed to go their own way and avoid each other with no more fighting. So, it seems to be over with; my kid went back to school and it's a done deal. The idea of a letter never came up. The attorney I talked with said it *may* have been in the school's purview to make him write such a letter as a requirement of returning to school, even though no such requirement exists in the school handbook; it's so vaguely written as to what they might require in terms or restorative consequence (I think that's what they called it). She referred to the Bong Hits For Jesus case (I capitalize it as it was a case that just cracked me up when she started talking about it, and she cracked up, too, you kinda can't help it--oh, kids these days) and she went on to explain that courts don't give a poo poo about children's rights, really. She said, though, to save the multiple threat recordings for obvious reasons, and we will.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Manac0r posted:

So I created this thread about a consumer issue I am having in the UK, involving a high end PC.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508974

(in hindsight the SH/SC may have been the wrong place to post it and I was pointed here)

Would really appreciate some feedback and advice on how to proceed.

Thank you kindly.

tl;dr High end PC, within 1 year 6 months has had five major RMA faults. Company refuses to accept poor quality build. Suggested recourse?

Just start a case in the small claims court, you can do it online:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Would be a good idea to write another letter/email to the company though to give them one last chance to sort it out (and mention that you will be forced to issue a claim otherwise). Although it doesn't cost that much to bring a claim, you won't automatically get to recover the cost from the company if you win, unless the judge thinks you ought to (i.e. he/she has discretion). The more reasonable you can show you have been throughout, the more likely you are to get your money back.

The rules for small claims are more relaxed - there are no formal rules of evidence so it would be a case of taking along everything you can.

I don't know what the guy at that company has been smoking but s14(2) of the SGA (i.e. implied term that goods will be fit for purpose) still applies to you. You've not modified the parts yourself, right - just customised your build on the company's website and they have then put it all together and sent it to you? If they are all parts that they have sold you, there is an implied term for all of them. They can't list 100 things and say, 'oh well we only guarantee 3 of those!'.

If they try to blame the supplier or anything else, just ignore that - if they want to get any money back from them later then they can but that's their problem. You're entitled to recover from them so you can do so. It might be a hassle but it would be a hassle for them too and they may just cave in. Even if not it wouldn't take more than an hour or two in court one day to get it sorted.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

woozle wuzzle posted:

He needs to meet with a competent tax preparer ASAP. He may have to pay tax on that money, and by far the easiest time to do it is when he first gets it. The IRS won't tell him jack, and an attorney may not know the exact ins and outs of the forms. A good tax accountant will. He's not going to get in any trouble, it's just getting it right the first time.

If I'm reading it right, another branch of the government has been giving him disability, of which he hasn't been paying taxes on for the last 3 years. I'd be worried about showing up on the IRS radar all of the sudden and then having to pay a buttload of penalties.

Also wanted to throw out that a good tax accountant isn't located in a strip mall, nor is it someone that took a class from H&R Block.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

chemosh6969 posted:

Also wanted to throw out that a good tax accountant isn't located in a strip mall, nor is it someone that took a class from H&R Block.

Yeah, this is the winner winner chicken dinner. A standard paper pusher volume tax place isn't for him, he needs an actual tax accountant who can handle it.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

chemosh6969 posted:

If I'm reading it right, another branch of the government has been giving him disability, of which he hasn't been paying taxes on for the last 3 years. I'd be worried about showing up on the IRS radar all of the sudden and then having to pay a buttload of penalties.

Yeah, that's why I told him not to just call up the IRS, and instead to get everything in order and just mail in a check. So, instead of an attorney consultation he just needs to find a good tax accountant? No other legal type stuff to worry about? That's great. And for what it's worth, he's only not paid taxes for 2 years. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll let him know.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

woozle wuzzle posted:

He needs to meet with a competent tax preparer ASAP. He may have to pay tax on that money, and by far the easiest time to do it is when he first gets it. The IRS won't tell him jack, and an attorney may not know the exact ins and outs of the forms.

A competent tax attorney should know that as well as the legal penalties What Fun's friend would be facing.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I'm in the state of Wisconsin and after working for my (part time) employer for five months I'm now being told that if I don't wear a uniform to work I will be taken off the schedule. I was never provided with a uniform and it's not been an issue until now. My boss is telling me that I have to buy a few of their $9 shirts and a $45 jacket, which ends up being about a week's pay. A cursory online search indicates that forcing employees to purchase non-streetclothes uniforms may not be allowable under the FLSA but I'm unsure since it's just a local pub and grill.

Additionally, same job...

My immediate supervisor got me this job - working there came up as pillow talk one day and I figured I could use the extra cash. My boss is a pretty cool person but can be a bit lewd; there's been multiple occasions where I've received texts of a sexually suggestive nature while one or both of us are on the clock. Before I started working here I told my boss that what we did in our spare time is separate from work. We haven't had sex since I started as I'm uncomfortable with mixing business and pleasure. Despite there never being any implied pressure or leverage, this seems like a pretty cut and dried case of sexual harassment so far, right?

The rub is that I'm not legally working the job and the company is well within its rights to fire me because I lack a certain certification that I simply can't afford to get right now. My supervisor knows this and is in charge of the paperwork regarding that whole aspect so I'm working there thanks to that intentional oversight.

Obviously the first step is to talk to my boss' boss and work through the chain of command if need be but if it ends up going the "legal" route and gets messy am I protected against retaliatory action even if that action is a result of my boss simply doing her job correctly? Since my boss and I had an established sexual relationship prior to my working there does that in any way mitigate the legitimacy of my issues - not in a "strictest legal sense" type of way, but in a practical manner. If poo poo gets real and I have to look for another job is anyone going to hire me if I have a record of suing an employer for sexual harassment? Again, I know that "legally" the answer is that they can't discriminate, but I mean practically.

Goddamn, sexual harassment at work seems so loving cut-and-dried when you're not the one it's happening to... :(

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I am not your lawyer but I advise you to get the hell out of that situation right now. It cannot end well.

sternstuff
Sep 27, 2011
[quote="errol _flynn" post="407994379"]
I did talk to one, before and after the meeting at the school. The principal's eyebrows shot up a bit when I told him the kid my kid hit had left sixteen very specific threats on my phone over the weekend prior to their fight and quoted several of them to him

So a kid left a ton of threats on your phone threatening to beat up your son and you just sent him to school as usual Monday morning without contacting the school to let them know what was going on? Maybe I missed it and there's more explanation, but that's kinda hosed up. Imagine if your son had gotten seriously hurt. As a parent I think you have some responsibility to protect your son. I have worked with troubled juveniles for years, and if you're involved enough to worry about the punishment not fitting the crime, I can't figure out why you didn't do anything to prevent the crime in the first place (again, maybe I missed a detail where you did do that).

As for charges, the kid threatening your son is obviously in the wrong. But if your son threw the first punch that's assault. No judge is going to give a poo poo if the kid was threatening when your son escalated it to physical violence. A suspension is pretty standard for school fights, and a letter of apology isn't unheard of. But you may want to think about whether or not this is really the way you want your son to handle these situations. What you don't want for him to do is think "hey, that was cool" especially with other kids telling him hey great job for beating someone else up. You don't give his age, but again I have worked with juveniles long enough to see how a good kid can start going down the wrong path pretty easily. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Illegibly Eligible posted:

this seems like a pretty cut and dried case of sexual harassment so far, right?
No.

am I protected against retaliatory action even if that action is a result of my boss simply doing her job correctly?
Probably not, see above.

does that in any way mitigate the legitimacy of my issues - not in a "strictest legal sense" type of way, but in a practical manner.
Yes.

If poo poo gets real and I have to look for another job is anyone going to hire me if I have a record of suing an employer for sexual harassment?
I doubt things will get that far.

Goddamn, sexual harassment at work the terrible idea-ness of turning a sexual realtionship into a work relationship seems so loving cut-and-dried when you're not the one it's happening to... :(

It's a 65-75 dollar a week part time job. What Javid said.