Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I upgraded to 10.8, now when I click a link in safari (on google for example) it opens up two identical tabs. What gives?

Also when I try to sign into iMessage I get some server error thing. I'm sure it's happened to other folks so I'm going backwards through the thread right now...

Edit: Ok yeah Messages and Facetime both don't work anymore. It says the server couldn't process my registration. Pretty sweet how they somehow broke the beta version of messages :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Icen posted:

I know it's off topic, but I was really hoping you linked the West Wing clip about post hoc ergo propter hoc and not just what it is. I was let down.

Yeah, but now I went and google'd this scene and now you've got me wanting to get into watching the West Wing (which is one of those shows I've never got around to watching)

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Ever since I upgraded to 10.8.2. My retina mbp and mac pro refuse to wake up from sleep occasionally.

Anyone else having this problem ? Trying to figure out if it's because of the OS or some app I upgraded.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Look at the console entries for it when it fails to wake up. I'm guessing you're force shutting it down so look at the entries just before a new bootup.

I didn't have a similar problem but I had an errant kext causing problems with external screen displays for me. I forgot what it was but go and audit your kexts for anything fishy and/or outdated.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Martytoof posted:

Have you experienced any corruption with MacDrive? Last time I tried it it rendered my media drive unusable until I ran it through Disk Utility to repair whatever MacDrive ended up breaking. I immediately uninstalled after that just out of paranoia.

I've never had a problem with it, I use it on my MacBook Pro and have used it on another Dell laptop for use with my HFS external drive.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Jabe posted:

Ever since I upgraded to 10.8.2. My retina mbp and mac pro refuse to wake up from sleep occasionally.

Anyone else having this problem ? Trying to figure out if it's because of the OS or some app I upgraded.

I'm having this problem occasionally with my mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro. In particular it seems to happen when I move locations, when I sleep/wake at home it's fine, but as soon as I got to the office this morning, it froze.

I do have a bluetooth magic trackpad at work that isn't around while I'm at home, so maybe it's bluetooth related?

I also have one of those USB DisplayLink video adapters here at work to drive my other monitor, so it might be related to that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone here use OmniFocus, and if so, recommend it? I keep trying to find a system to track things to do and reminders for both home and work, and everything I try ends up coming up short for one reason or another.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone here use OmniFocus, and if so, recommend it? I keep trying to find a system to track things to do and reminders for both home and work, and everything I try ends up coming up short for one reason or another.

I've been using it since I asked in here and it's been pretty great. My only issue is that sometimes repeating events get a bit mixed up while syncing and spawn extra copies of themselves. Total investment is about $75 - OS X version, iPhone version, a copy of GTD, and I needed a better filing solution for personal papers so I got an accordion file.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Lexicon posted:

I think the best thing about OmniFocus is that you don't actually have to subscribe to GTD, or at least totally commit to it, for the app to be of value. I dropped my GTD workflow a while back, and I still find it the best project management/todo application on the Mac.

Download the trial and check out David Spark's screencasts to get a feel for it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks - I'll give those screencasts a try.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

snakeater posted:

I think the best thing about OmniFocus is that you don't actually have to subscribe to GTD, or at least totally commit to it, for the app to be of value. I dropped my GTD workflow a while back, and I still find it the best project management/todo application on the Mac.

Download the trial and check out David Spark's screencasts to get a feel for it.

If you like his screencasts, check out his great podcast Mac Power Users.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anyone remember a sort of 'learning curve' image from a few years ago about switching from a PC/Linux to Mac OS X? It had nodes on it describing the user's emotions, like "This is so pretty!" and "Goddamnit, why doesn't this work like my last OS?" I need to find it for a friend who's taking the plunge.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Does anyone remember a sort of 'learning curve' image from a few years ago about switching from a PC/Linux to Mac OS X? It had nodes on it describing the user's emotions, like "This is so pretty!" and "Goddamnit, why doesn't this work like my last OS?" I need to find it for a friend who's taking the plunge.
It's in the Hardware thread's OP.

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!

echobucket posted:

Yeah, but now I went and google'd this scene and now you've got me wanting to get into watching the West Wing (which is one of those shows I've never got around to watching)

Again, I am off-topic, but West Wing is a great show, and you will thank me when you watch it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

snakeater posted:

GTD has its advantages, though. I have to give it credit for keeping me vaguely sane when life turned into utter chaos in the late summer. Absolute chaos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have a trivial but incredibly annoying issue. I took a file I use frequently--a departmental phone directory--and appended the word "mynah" to the filename so I could find it quickly, since I don't have any other files that list bird species. I cannot just click Finder, which immediately goes to "All My Files," click the searchbox, type "mynah" and get the godddamned file. I can find the goddamned file if I rightclick Finder and select "Find," I can find the goddamned file if I open Spotlight with Cmd+Space, and I can Find the goddamned file if I open Finder and then click on Downloads, Documents, or my personal folder because I pasted copies of the goddamned file in every folder so that Finder could hopefully find it. Yet Finder, the Mac program for finding things, cannot just find the goddamned file in "All My Files." I already disabled and enabled Spotlight and rebuilt the index.

I swear to God. This is like Microsoft.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a trivial but incredibly annoying issue. I took a file I use frequently--a departmental phone directory--and appended the word "mynah" to the filename so I could find it quickly, since I don't have any other files that list bird species. I cannot just click Finder, which immediately goes to "All My Files," click the searchbox, type "mynah" and get the godddamned file. I can find the goddamned file if I rightclick Finder and select "Find," I can find the goddamned file if I open Spotlight with Cmd+Space, and I can Find the goddamned file if I open Finder and then click on Downloads, Documents, or my personal folder because I pasted copies of the goddamned file in every folder so that Finder could hopefully find it. Yet Finder, the Mac program for finding things, cannot just find the goddamned file in "All My Files." I already disabled and enabled Spotlight and rebuilt the index.

That sort of reminds me of my old boss who named his folders like this:

'1 - Addresses'
'2 - Invoices'
'3 - Designs for Foo'
'4 - Letters'

Basically creating his own sorting solution.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

That sort of reminds me of my old boss who named his folders like this:

'1 - Addresses'
'2 - Invoices'
'3 - Designs for Foo'
'4 - Letters'

Basically creating his own sorting solution.

I number folders all the time when I want them to always be sorted in chronological order (the order I actually did them, not the last time they were modified).

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Try flushing your Spotlight index? (Warning: Will take some time to reindex)
code:
sudo mdutil -E /
I don't seem to have that same issue. I make a file named something unique and it shows up in Spotlight almost immediately.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does Flash in firefox 15 run like total crap for anyone else? For some context, I use chrome as my main browser, but use a firefox extension to watch daily show episodes in the UK, but the performance is terrible, very stuttery with long video drops, even with absolutely nothing open.

Is this just me? If so, any idea for a fix? Tried disabling/enabling hardware acceleration in flash, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Experto Crede posted:

Does Flash in firefox 15 run like total crap for anyone else? For some context, I use chrome as my main browser, but use a firefox extension to watch daily show episodes in the UK, but the performance is terrible, very stuttery with long video drops, even with absolutely nothing open.

Is this just me? If so, any idea for a fix? Tried disabling/enabling hardware acceleration in flash, etc.

Try using unblock-us.com and ignoring FF, maybe?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lexicon posted:

Thanks - I'll give those screencasts a try.
If you do end up using OmniFocus / GTD then this guy has a post about his personal system for combining the two that I thought had some useful tips. I don't know if I got this from here or somewhere else, but I've had it bookmarked for a while.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Like so many others, I have two AppleIDs and I'm sick of it. I'm right now trying to consolidate on one AppleID.

To use Notes with iCloud I have to have an @icloud.com email address on the account I am consolidating to. Currently, that account is made on my @gmail.com email. I am happy to add a throwaway email name to this account just so I can use notes. However, I am concerned that adding an @icloud email address to this account will permanently change the account's name to that new @icloud email.

Will iCloud force me to use the @icloud name as my AppleID login if I add the email address, or can I add the address and just ignore it?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So does anyone know how to fix this? It happens when I try to sign into both iMessage and Facetime.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Like so many others, I have two AppleIDs and I'm sick of it. I'm right now trying to consolidate on one AppleID.

To use Notes with iCloud I have to have an @icloud.com email address on the account I am consolidating to. Currently, that account is made on my @gmail.com email. I am happy to add a throwaway email name to this account just so I can use notes. However, I am concerned that adding an @icloud email address to this account will permanently change the account's name to that new @icloud email.

Will iCloud force me to use the @icloud name as my AppleID login if I add the email address, or can I add the address and just ignore it?
You can add the address and ignore it. This is exactly what I have done.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Who makes decent Mac merge software, like Beyond Compare, for OS X? Right now I am using a trial of Araxis Merge, but I think the professional version is well over $200 to buy, whereas Beyond Compare is what, $50? Is there anything else of comparable functionality out there for OS X?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

withak posted:

I number folders all the time when I want them to always be sorted in chronological order (the order I actually did them, not the last time they were modified).

Go to View -> Show View Options: "Sort By -> Date Created"

In list and coverflow view you can also access the Date Created column.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Is there anything — preferably with a small footprint — that can start and stop apps at a certain time of day?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So does anyone know how to fix this? It happens when I try to sign into both iMessage and Facetime.

If anyone else is having this problem, just go into your /etc/hosts file and get rid of any changes you made.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a feature.

The All My Files view automatically restricts Finder Spotlight searches to All My Files. If that file is not somewhere in your home directory and recognized in the All My Files view, it's not in All My Files and will not be found. You can override this by changing the search scope to "This Mac" from "All My Files" at the top of the window:

Every other Finder view will obey your search preferences, which by default will be every directory on every available drive.

Also, if you're not using All My Files, change your Finder preferences to open something else.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 27, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man. Launchbar changed the way I use my mac in less than 24 hours. The instant send feature is worth the $40 license cost alone. Yesterday I was all "why would I use any other launcher besides Spotlight?" and now I'm all "Why would I use anything besides Launchbar?"

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

do it posted:

Is there anything — preferably with a small footprint — that can start and stop apps at a certain time of day?

ControlPlane should do it.

http://www.controlplaneapp.com

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Martytoof posted:

Man. Launchbar changed the way I use my mac in less than 24 hours. The instant send feature is worth the $40 license cost alone. Yesterday I was all "why would I use any other launcher besides Spotlight?" and now I'm all "Why would I use anything besides Launchbar?"

I totally agree, but with Alfred instead (just never used Launchbar). The real trick is that these apps let you actually do stuff with the files you find, not just open them.

That and provide a kind of quick web-search box for pretty much any website you can copy the search string URL for.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Does anyone know how to force Messages.app to display iMessages in the order they're sent? They have correct timestamps on them so clearly it knows what order they should be displayed in, but it shows them in the wrong order anyway and there doesn't appear to be a way to sort them AFAIK

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

snakeater posted:

I totally agree, but with Alfred instead (just never used Launchbar). The real trick is that these apps let you actually do stuff with the files you find, not just open them.

That and provide a kind of quick web-search box for pretty much any website you can copy the search string URL for.

Can you give an example of the type of actions you use Alfred for? I've got it installed, and only use it for launching apps and doing Google searches - but I know it's much more capable.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

THC posted:

Does anyone know how to force Messages.app to display iMessages in the order they're sent? They have correct timestamps on them so clearly it knows what order they should be displayed in, but it shows them in the wrong order anyway and there doesn't appear to be a way to sort them AFAIK

There is a message sorting menu item on the view menu.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

syndex posted:

There is a message sorting menu item on the view menu.

I can't see your picture because for some reason the domain is blocked on my university's network, but the only sorting option I see in the View menu is for conversations not messages. I'm having the same issue and I really can't figure out how something so simple is so screwed up.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Lexicon posted:

Can you give an example of the type of actions you use Alfred for? I've got it installed, and only use it for launching apps and doing Google searches - but I know it's much more capable.

Passing files into shell scripts or automator actions/workflows is pretty useful/quick.

There's also all kinds of extensions that can do pretty cool things with files - like copying the selected file to Dropbox then grabbing the public URL, and easy file tagging - but it's also great to just have a really quick way of sending a file by email or getting file information/image dimensions.

It's nothing you can't do without Alfred - but it does make it all faster and pretty seamless.

Have a look at the extensions page. There's also some pretty cool stuff here.

You'll probably want to make use of the custom searches if you haven't already. No need to use Google for everything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My new favourite thing in Launchbar is Instant Send. 24 hours with it and I'm wondering how I got along without it.

Want to copy a file from my desktop to my Dropbox? I can open finder and navigate to the end folder, then drag and drop. Or I can select the file, hit shift twice, type "drop", hit arrow key and quickly navigate to the folder I want, hit enter, then select "copy to" and it's done.

The way I describe it makes it sound much more complicated than just dragging and dropping, but believe me that I'm way quicker with the keyboard than I am opening windows and navigating folders with a mouse.

Want to email a file? Select file, hit shift twice, type "ema", hit enter and it'll open up a new email with the file as an attachment.

It's little stuff like that. I don't want to make it sound like Launchbar is some app where I click one button and it does something absolutely magical that will mystify a crowd of onlookers, it's more like a hundred little time saving things like the above that will save you five to ten seconds apiece that really makes me appreciate it being there.

I should add that I can't really vouch for Launchbar OVER Alfred or QS or anything like that. I'm only using Launchbar because that was recommended to me by a bunch of GTD people, has a wide support base, and was made by ObDev which make LittleSnitch which I already use, so I'm comfortable with their product quality. For all I know Alfred is twice as good as LB :)

e: That Alfred dropbox thing is pretty awesome though. I'll have to see if I can script Launchbar to spit out a dropbox url like that. I do that ALL the time so that would be an amazing add-on.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korora
Sep 3, 2011
The next step is to remap Caps Lock to be a dedicated QS/Launchbar/Alfred button using PCKeyboardHack. Why push something twice when you could push something once?