Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

idonotlikepeas posted:

The relentless use of "bleep" is pretty awesome too. (the trick is adult Bleep-rated)

Followed by him going into detail explaining exactly what the pineapple and yoyo are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I reread this comic because I'm bored at work I discover something new in the Kvatch flash. How I went through it three times without discovering the dance-off is beyond me.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
An update!

And it looks like things are looking up... kinda.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Progress?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
A vampire got her while she was asleep?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A good poster posted:

A vampire got her while she was asleep?

A vampire who is very definitely male, and a dark elf, and not from Kvatch, and certainly not anyone who has met Katia before! To suggest that this mysterious vampire might for example be a (normal) female Kvatchan human who Katia met already would be absurd in the face of this conclusive documentation.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Huh, the Thieves Guild are really nice people, and Katia is about as close as you can get to being a beggar without actively begging... maybe she should try to get in with those guys. They'd totally help out.

Of course, I say this as though she wouldn't immediately fail her first theft mission with highly-conspicuous fire magic.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Gabriel Pope posted:

A vampire who is very definitely male, and a dark elf, and not from Kvatch, and certainly not anyone who has met Katia before! To suggest that this mysterious vampire might for example be a (normal) female Kvatchan human who Katia met already would be absurd in the face of this conclusive documentation.

From the replies I've seen, a lot of people are shocked that there is a second vampire in town.

I'm not sure if this means I made the joke too subtle, or that I make it just right.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kazerad posted:

From the replies I've seen, a lot of people are shocked that there is a second vampire in town.

I'm not sure if this means I made the joke too subtle, or that I make it just right.

Well, someone has to occupy that corner of the bell curve.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So are we going to have to seek a cure to Porphyric Hemophilia now or...?

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

IronSaber posted:

So are we going to have to seek a cure to Porphyric Hemophilia now or...?

God I hope not, doing that quest was incredibly boring. Hopefully someone just slings Katia a potion of Cure Disease or she prays at the altar

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't see any bite marks: where do Oblivion Vampires supposedly bite?

Also I hope this isn't the last we see of Perfectly Normal Human Female.

Also, I'm guessing that if we scrolled down in the quest log the fourth entry would be > gently caress You, Sigrid.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 27, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know who has inventories in Oblivion? Everybody. You know who has quest logs in Oblivion? The protagonist.

MikeJF posted:

I don't see any bite marks: where do Oblivion Vampires supposedly bite?

Well, 'Nah' or whatever her name was wanted Katia to smear condiments on her neck, so... But, anyway, how would you even tell, with the body hair?

I doubt we'll get a vampire plot, but it would probably be a pretty subtle one. After all, she's already got fangs. Eye color would probably be the only indication.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

After all, she's already got fangs.

Well, in Skyrim, at least, the fangs get super-long and are visible even when the mouth is closed. Dunno if that happened in Oblivion.

But I doubt we're getting a Vampire storyline.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Well, in Skyrim, at least, the fangs get super-long and are visible even when the mouth is closed. Dunno if that happened in Oblivion.

But I doubt we're getting a Vampire storyline.

TES uses the pretext of "vampire clans" to explain away having completely different game mechanics for vampirism in each game.

The Cyrodilic vampires in Oblivion look perfectly human when well-fed, and absolutely monstrous when starving. There's a trade-off: the worse you're starved, the most potent your vampire abilities are. So you can have a reason to deliberately go undernourished so as to become more powerful. But at the same time, it warps your appearance more, so you're easily detected, and your vampire weaknesses get stronger too.

It's obvious Nah prefer to go the "absolutely normal-looking human" route, even if it means she won't get übermunchkin minmaxed bonuses to her stats. But she had a bit of a problem getting to feed enough while maintaining her cover. When we met her, she was already at a stage where daylight begins to hurt.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So Kaz, are we just going with the assumption something in Katia's dream is trying to communicate with her? I figured it was someone trying to wake her in the real world, like that Argonian maid came in and found her thrashing around asleep and on fire?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

TES uses the pretext of "vampire clans" to explain away having completely different game mechanics for vampirism in each game.

The Cyrodilic vampires in Oblivion look perfectly human when well-fed, and absolutely monstrous when starving. There's a trade-off: the worse you're starved, the most potent your vampire abilities are. So you can have a reason to deliberately go undernourished so as to become more powerful. But at the same time, it warps your appearance more, so you're easily detected, and your vampire weaknesses get stronger too.

It's obvious Nah prefer to go the "absolutely normal-looking human" route, even if it means she won't get übermunchkin minmaxed bonuses to her stats. But she had a bit of a problem getting to feed enough while maintaining her cover. When we met her, she was already at a stage where daylight begins to hurt.

Don't forget that just last night in prequel time Nah fed enough to get back to stage 0 hunger. Nah should be walking about in the daylight right now, even if she didn't feed on Katia again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Piedmon Sama posted:

So Kaz, are we just going with the assumption something in Katia's dream is trying to communicate with her? I figured it was someone trying to wake her in the real world, like that Argonian maid came in and found her thrashing around asleep and on fire?

I think we're still assuming it was someone trying to wake her, given what they said in the second one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there something to understand about cilantro other than some people use it to season their meals, or am I looking too hard here?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is there something to understand about cilantro other than some people use it to season their meals, or am I looking too hard here?

In the Elder Scrolls, vampirism is a disease. Before it reaches its final stage (which advances by resting, after the third day you're a vampire), eating an ingredient or drinking a potion with the "cure disesase" effect will prevent you from turning. The joke is that cilantro apparently can do that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cat Mattress posted:

So it's the same as how Kahjit range from Katia to talking housepet to lion-men, somehow dependant on the phases of the moon? And you just oh so conveniently only ever run into like one kind per country?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Prison Warden posted:

So it's the same as how Kahjit range from Katia to talking housepet to lion-men, somehow dependant on the phases of the moon? And you just oh so conveniently only ever run into like one kind per country?

You're over thinking a video game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

And then they ignore all that and make Skyrim vampires boring and same-y instead of the kickass frozen-lake dwelling beings that can travel through solid ice that books in morrowind said they would be.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MikeJF posted:

I think we're still assuming it was someone trying to wake her, given what they said in the second one.

I'm assuming it wasn't and something weirder was going on there, since I can't imagine that "scribble over the bad part of the nightmare" is a method often used to try to wake someone.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

cheetah7071 posted:

And then they ignore all that and make Skyrim vampires boring and same-y

Someone hasn't played Dawnguard yet.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

In the Elder Scrolls, vampirism is a disease. Before it reaches its final stage (which advances by resting, after the third day you're a vampire), eating an ingredient or drinking a potion with the "cure disesase" effect will prevent you from turning. The joke is that cilantro apparently can do that.

The joke is the vampire who has made a habit of feeding on the humanoid is asking the humanoid to ingest a bunch of spices.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ursine Asylum posted:

I have. Calling them same-y isn't true I guess, but they certainly aren't what you'd expect them to be based on the lore presented in previous games (and are significantly lamer than what they could have been).

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
That, I'll grant you, but I was impressed that, for a DLC, they basically turned it into a completely different beast, control-wise, instead of the same old "more stats, and the sun hurts" thing.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Ursine Asylum posted:

Even in Dawnguard, the vampires were disappointingly close to the Oblivion ones (albeit with the ability to turn into giant winged monsters). The ability to suppress their vampirism by feeding was originally what defined the Cyrodiilic vampire clan, whereas in Skyrim it basically became the standard.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maybe it's undead Darwinism at work. Being able to suppress and pass for human in the course of sustaining yourself seems like a pretty desirable trait for survival and propagation.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait, so Nah works for the Thieves' Guild? I didn't get that the vampire was Nah simply because I thought it was just a joke about the "you get a Thieves' Guild recruitment letter signed by a guy who lives in the Imperial City, no matter where you are" thing. But yeah, since we're in the church, we might as well try praying again just in case the gods changed their mind, since praying cures diseases and you have 3 days till porphyric hemophilia becomes incurable with conventional means. But yes, asking the Thieves Guild for handouts sounds like a good idea.

Also, Kazerad, Weaver said that you drew a picture of Boxdog or something at some point? Could you link that?

Edit: Is there ever any TES game that lives up to the backstory of the region being featured in the game? I mean, I guess Skyrim got it a lot better than Oblivion, where they literally invoked arbitrary divine space-time-continuum-fuckery just to make the region a more generic European temperate grassland with Medieval/Roman cultural influences.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 28, 2012

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Normal Adult Human posted:

The joke is the vampire who has made a habit of feeding on the humanoid is asking the humanoid to ingest a bunch of spices.

Katia's young and inexperienced. With time and practice she could grow into a more seasoned individual.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait, so Nah works for the Thieves' Guild? I didn't get that the vampire was Nah simply because I thought it was just a joke about the "you get a Thieves' Guild recruitment letter signed by a guy who lives in the Imperial City, no matter where you are" thing.

Read it again. The Thieves' Guild pamphlet and the letter are separate things. Three different people stumbled across her last night. The thief gave her an empty bag, and then Nah came later and put some fruit in it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Hey Kazerad person, have you seen Adobe's new Edge Animate? It's a new tool to animate content on the web, seems right up your alley. Thinking of using it when I eventually start making my web comic in one million years.

Also this comic has started making me want to get back into Skyrim. I stopped playing a while back because I kept dying by going over a gentle slope on my horse after travelling for like an hour each time.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 28, 2012

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also, Kazerad, Weaver said that you drew a picture of Boxdog or something at some point? Could you link that?

Hahaha, yes, but it will need some backstory. Someone posted this image in a Prequel thread on 4chan and an anon started criticizing it for giving Boxdog too much muscle definition. So I jumped in and replied with :nms: "What's the matter, anon? Afraid of a strong dog-woman's body?". I didn't expect Weaver to actually see and/or appreciate it.

Megaspel posted:

Hey Kazerad person, have you seen Adobe's new Edge Animate? It's a new tool to animate content on the web, seems right up your alley. Thinking of using it when I eventually start making my web comic in one million years.

I hadn't heard of it, but looking at some promotional material it seems a bit too much like Silverlight for my tastes.

Back years ago when I was planning a webcomic with much more animation, I'd periodically go on these month-long binges where I'd try dozens of animation programs in an attempt to find one that wasn't horrible. The problem with web-focused programs like Silverlight, I found, was that they tended to be made for web designers who only had/needed a cursory understanding of animation at best. They made the basic, powerpoint-level functions very easy, but it was an uphill battle doing things like easing or frame-by-frame animation. I'm sadly not expecting Edge to be much different in that regard.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh Katia :( Somebody hack her in some clothes, at least.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Pollyanna posted:

Dear lord, we're trying to help her, not sexualize her (not that it isn't already happening :suicide:).

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Pollyanna posted:

Simsmagic posted:

Dear lord, we're trying to help her, not sexualize her (not that it isn't already happening :suicide:).

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Makes sense, right? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Need a :catstonk:

• Locked thread