Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canescans
Mar 3, 2008
Well if I were to speculate I'd say that the 3D printing market has three major markets to grow into:
1. Industrial manufacturing
2. Biotech
3. Personal 3D printing

Makerbot and the RepRap models are just scratching the surface. I think that it is not unlikely to see a personal 3d printer in every home 30 years from now - very similar to a computer, microwave etc. Or at least a local chain of printer shops that would be patronized by the public when they got a new design off the internet they would want to fabricate. 3D printing has been an interest of mine since 2006 or so. There are significant hurdles that still have to be overcome but once those are broken it will be amazing to see this tech grow.

I think that once the ability to do metal oxide deposition requiring high heat becomes available on a personal scale the possibilities really start to get interesting, because then you could fabricate a skeleton of something out of ceramic and then plate it in metal. Or print a circuit board. Instead of having a 3 color ink cartridge, I'd envision something like a 6 element cartridge containing resin, metal oxides, ceramics and silicon feeding into the printer. It would probably be the size of a mini fridge eventually as economies of scale start to take over.

Edit: Baddog: You are right about how challenging it is to select the single corporation that will end up the Ford, the Microsoft, the General Electric of the 3D printing boom. That's why I'd be much happier diversifying my money over some of the largest companies in the field on the public market. In the future as more companies hit the scene I think that it is entirely possible that we could see an ETF related to 3D printing or Nanomaterials etc. Of course it will probably be badly run, charge high expense fees and have bad allotments but the concept - that of spreading your risk throughout an entire industry - is a sound one that an individual investor could replicate on a smaller scale with a moderate amount of company research.

Canescans fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Just speculating but I think Makerbot is the best. They're the cheapest too. And it will definitely be a household item once price falls sufficiently. Right now at about $2k, it's mostly a novelty.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does anything think BAC will appreciate in the long-term? Financials seem to be doing fine lately, especially WFC and JPM.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think 3d printing has great potential but I think its going to need another step before it really takes off. Even without that it has solid prospects and growth. I bought in at a bad time and should have waited till the charts firmed up a bit but Im not too worried about the short term.

IF it takes off there is still plenty of time to hop on, most likely several years.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
What are the thread's thoughts on autonomous cars? CA signed a law today that opens them up for public roads and Larry Page said in 5 years or less they'll be available to the public.

I think if GOOG nails this one they will have their second big cash cow. Maybe time to wait for a dip and go long?

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I'd probably wait to see how the first liability lawsuit plays out when someone inevitably drives off a bridge, or kills a pedestrian.

Or has this already happened? I know Google has been driving them around for a couple of years now.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
As I recall, the only accidents so far have been from people pulling out in front of them or running signs/lights--things that even humans wouldn't have been able to avoid.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Wasnt there a goon recently asking about TPX? The are up 22% today.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AAPL :negative:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

If we can break 673 we should be able to recover before ER no problem. Hopefully 671+ today.

e: If they can break 673-674 then it should trigger all the shorts to cover their asses and we'll see some even bigger moves.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 27, 2012

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

scavok posted:

I'd probably wait to see how the first liability lawsuit plays out when someone inevitably drives off a bridge, or kills a pedestrian.

I imagine it'll work exactly the same as it does now: insurance.

PRADA SLUT posted:

As I recall, the only accidents so far have been from people pulling out in front of them or running signs/lights--things that even humans wouldn't have been able to avoid.

IIRC, they say the only accident their self-driving cars have been in were when the car was being manually controlled.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

scavok posted:

Or has this already happened? I know Google has been driving them around for a couple of years now.

Removing human error will only be a good thing.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
My company is going public very soon, they have offered us a reserved share program. The buy in for this seems kinda high and I was wondering what the difference was between this program and simply placing a pre-market order the day of the ipo?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
AAPL feels like a spec play masquerading as a blue chip.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

PRADA SLUT posted:

AAPL feels like a spec play masquerading as a blue chip.

Any large tech company is

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I imagine it'll work exactly the same as it does now: insurance.

IIRC, they say the only accident their self-driving cars have been in were when the car was being manually controlled.

They are probably programmed to drive conservatively, plus I think if they can't see they pull over and stop where as cabbies or anyone else just crosses their fingers and hammers it down.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
If anyone is interested, Aswath Damodaran is doing his valuation course online again. Really great stuff, especially if you have no idea what you're doing. http://people.stern.nyu.edu/adamodar/New_Home_Page/webcasteqfall12.htm

nebby posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on autonomous cars? CA signed a law today that opens them up for public roads and Larry Page said in 5 years or less they'll be available to the public.

I think if GOOG nails this one they will have their second big cash cow. Maybe time to wait for a dip and go long?

Autonomous cars and trucks are the next Big Thing. Just imagining the possibilities gets my dick hard. First, insurance rates will dropped an insane amount if you use a driverless vehicle which help to induce people to drive them. Plus trucking will be revolutionzied let alone how traffic fatalities will decline an outrageous amount. And the new spare time people will have to do things other than paying attention to the road. It really is mindblowing.

This is all conjecture though and depends on Congress's approving them. Which they will but on what timeframe, I have no idea. Hopefully, sooner than later.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does anyone think BAC will appreciate in the long-term? Financials seem to be doing fine lately, especially WFC and JPM.

Yes, in the long-term.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Do you guys always use All Or None (or equivalent phrasing depending on broker) to avoid $30-50 commissions? I'm getting pretty tired of etrade splitting an order into 2-5 in order to fill at my limit-- but worried that they might take too long to fill.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Depends on the time of day. When there is a big announce or the market is openining or closing, the volatility increases so I don't like my order spread across too many prices. During more calmer time, it doesn't matter. Also depends on the timeframe: shorter timeframe, it matters. Longer timefram, not so much.

dacobmothma
Aug 3, 2006
RIMM up 18% AH. Turns out it wasn't such a bad investment after all :) .

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
FB announced a gift buying product after the market closed:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-facebook-20120928,0,7990602.story

I put in an order for some oct 5 $21 calls for next week. My guess is this is either entirely priced in (since they have been working with partners) or it will take a few days for analysts to shake out their models (and for people who have used the product to talk about it) and lift the stock. This is the first thing I've seen FB come up with that I think can actually make them serious bank. But for a company with almost no earnings a 40b valuation still seems crazy.

nebby fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 28, 2012

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Is it worth reading into that Jessica Alba and Ocho Cinco's pictures have been tagged "via Facebook for Windows Phone" lately?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Autonomous cars and trucks are the next Big Thing. Just imagining the possibilities gets my dick hard. First, insurance rates will dropped an insane amount if you use a driverless vehicle which help to induce people to drive them. Plus trucking will be revolutionzied let alone how traffic fatalities will decline an outrageous amount. And the new spare time people will have to do things other than paying attention to the road. It really is mindblowing.

autonomous heavy trucks are at least a 10 to 20 years away. Automatic gearboxes are still pretty primitive for heavy trucks at this point, and even then they require some pretty heavy climbing gears.

Autonomous cars will more then likely drop car/truck fatalities however as I"m sure they will be programmed to understand truck blind spots which most drives don't know.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Pudgygiant posted:

Is it worth reading into that Jessica Alba and Ocho Cinco's pictures have been tagged "via Facebook for Windows Phone" lately?

Definitely. Whether or not Ocho Cinco is using a product is pretty much the second most important thing after financials for me.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Pudgygiant posted:

Yes, the Jessica Alba put is the only strategy that works consistently, imho. I comb through her interviews and speeches to try and intrepret what thing she is going to "get into" next so I can position my portfolio accordingly.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
So 2 people that can easily afford the iphone 5 or SGS3 choosing to use a WP doesn't indicate a more widespread proliferation?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I hope this chart illustrates the validity of the Alba Conjecture:

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

nebby posted:

FB announced a gift buying product after the market closed:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-facebook-20120928,0,7990602.story

I put in an order for some oct 5 $21 calls for next week. My guess is this is either entirely priced in (since they have been working with partners) or it will take a few days for analysts to shake out their models (and for people who have used the product to talk about it) and lift the stock. This is the first thing I've seen FB come up with that I think can actually make them serious bank. But for a company with almost no earnings a 40b valuation still seems crazy.

Good one, man! Does anyone think FB will continue to climb or is today a swing that will be cancelled out on Monday?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

I hope this chart illustrates the validity of the Alba Conjecture:

She's not smiling! SELL SELL SELL

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Pudgygiant posted:

So 2 people that can easily afford the iphone 5 or SGS3 choosing to use a WP doesn't indicate a more widespread proliferation?

Companies can pay people boatloads of money to use a specific phone publicly.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Companies can pay people boatloads of money to use a specific phone publicly.

De Beers used movie stars to start the diamond engagement/marriage ring trend in the US. Does this mean I should now propose with a Windows Phone?

e:she said no and walked off with a rich businessman using an iPhone5 :(

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Good one, man! Does anyone think FB will continue to climb or is today a swing that will be cancelled out on Monday?
I'm personally looking at a 150% gain in one day, so I think I'll tip my hat to Mr. Zuckerberg and take profits. I'm not really much of a trader and can use the win.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

nebby posted:

I'm personally looking at a 150% gain in one day, so I think I'll tip my hat to Mr. Zuckerberg and take profits. I'm not really much of a trader and can use the win.

(But it's P/E ratio!)
:qqsay:

Still in my 17.75 FB trade :smug:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
drat, giant selloff hit before I could get out :( guess i'll hold these over the weekend and hope it touches $22 sometime next week

edit: actually managed to sell out half my position at close, basically whatever i get for the other half is profit. woo.

edit again: drat, I was able to get access to this on facebook. it's going to be an awesome feature, I think as people use it more through the next week (it spreads virally) its going to be priced into the stock more and more as people come to realize just how effective this is going to be.

edit: closed out the rest this morning at 22.50, 200% gain :smuggo:

nebby fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 1, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Hope nobody was long MSCI.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Hope nobody was long MSCI.

How can they be 104% institutionally owned?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I am still trying to figure out when to unload another chunk of MSFT (at a decent gain), and looking for something to put the cash I have into, I just don't see anything out there that looks that appealing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
INTC or IBM?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

PRADA SLUT posted:

INTC or IBM?

INTC