Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

zari-gani posted:

Donkey Kong Country (parts 1 and 2) coming soon.

Yessss!!

I'm now super stoked for this. Probably one of my favorite games ever. I used to have the awesome Nintendo Power Super Secret Behind the Scenes Preview VHS for that until my house burned down a few months ago. It may be in one of the boxes of salvage. I haven't gone through it all yet.

Not that I have a VHS player that could play it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange crayon
Feb 22, 2007

Stupid

zari-gani posted:

Maybe :ssh:

On the SAGCCX release front, there's two episodes and two sorta-episodes in the queue. October's going to be busy for me but I'd like to finish up Season 10, so that's Dragon Power/Dragon Ball, Chelnov/Atomic Runner, First Samurai, and Donkey Kong Country (parts 1 and 2) coming soon.

This is my first post in this thread; I just wanted to say thanks to the SA team and everyone who makes this excellent show available with accurate english subtitles. Donkey Kong Country (parts 1 and 2) is what prompted me to post. I'm incredibly excited now!

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Definitely excited for the Donkey Kong Country two-parter, but I'm equally excited for the First Samurai episode. I stumbled across that game at a second-hand store a few years ago and bought it based on the promise of an samurai action game, but it's super weird:
developed in Europe, definitely an Amiga port, with audio sampled from Queen's Flash Gordon soundtrack. It'll be interesting to see a game developed in Europe with mangled Japanese cultural overtones being played by Arino, interested in his opinions on that weirdness.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

zari-gani posted:

First Samurai
I hadn't even noticed that one in the OP episode list, really looking forward to that! The western game episodes are always an interesting watch, but it's especially surreal watching him challenge european Amiga games that somehow ended up getting a SNES/MD port. Lemmings, Flashback and Another World are all pretty well-known, but I didn't think anyone remembered First Samurai outside of Europe.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So when it comes to Dragon Ball, I guess that will be a rare instance where the GCCX subs will use the Japanese name, since more people know what Dragon Ball is than remember what Dragon Power was.

Right?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I am glad to see season 10 getting subbed. I would love to see the behind the scenes segment for the 2nd DS game.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

zari-gani posted:

On the SAGCCX release front, there's two episodes and two sorta-episodes in the queue. October's going to be busy for me but I'd like to finish up Season 10, so that's Dragon Power/Dragon Ball, Chelnov/Atomic Runner, First Samurai, and Donkey Kong Country (parts 1 and 2) coming soon.

Any hope for Princess Tomato?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I can't wait for the new episodes. The DKC ones were really good from what I remember even though I'm not a huge fan of the game (I did enjoy DKC Returns on the Wii), so it'll be fun to finally see them translated. :)

PureRok posted:

Yessss!!

I'm now super stoked for this. Probably one of my favorite games ever. I used to have the awesome Nintendo Power Super Secret Behind the Scenes Preview VHS for that until my house burned down a few months ago. It may be in one of the boxes of salvage. I haven't gone through it all yet.

I used to watch the gently caress out of that tape back in the day, mostly when I was trying to fall asleep... I was kind of a weird nerdy kid.

Also, the guy hosting is the ultimate stereotype of the trendy mid-90s late teens/early 20s American male.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

jadekitten posted:

Any hope for Princess Tomato?

Not any time soon from what has been said in the thread, neither the staff nor the SAGCCX team think it's a good episode. And if it ain't fun to watch, then, it ain't fun to trasnlate.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Unless something has changed then Princess Tomato will still be translated by that Japanese class at some school(and I think timed by our guys?) so that will be done when it's done.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Obeast posted:

Also, the guy hosting is the ultimate stereotype of the trendy mid-90s late teens/early 20s American male.

It's funny, I was never a fan of Ugly Kid Joe, knew next-to-nothing about the band, and yet that guy immediately made me think of Ugly Kid Joe for some reason. Then I looked the band up and holy poo poo, he looks like a member of Ugly Kid Joe.

There's no way that guy is still alive. No one that 90's can exist outside of the 90's. The century turned and he just vanished in a burst of flannel, L.A. Looks hair gel and one backwards ball cap.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Unless something has changed then Princess Tomato will still be translated by that Japanese class at some school(and I think timed by our guys?) so that will be done when it's done.

Oh, I was thinking it'd be a funny episode because Princess Tomato is already so "what the hell" anyway. So I thought Arino's reactions were probably amusing

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

He falls asleep because the game is so loving boring.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

PureRok posted:

Yessss!!

I got you beat. I have the Starfox 64 preview tape AND a working vcr. I can still hear the bad jokes and watch them push how awesome the rumble pak was. My brothers and I still reference quotes from that (beat up old B52).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Really looking forward to Donkey Kong Country. Shameful confession, as a kid I was never able to beat that game. I dunno why, I just hit a wall at some point where I just couldn't get past it and never really went back to it later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Hey, zari, just so you know I was thinking of holding off releasing the sortas about a week so we can have a nice big celebration with them at the appropriate moment. I mean, I'll probably have them knocked out in the next two days since they're pretty straightforward and then clear out that other episode (one of my personal favorites, BTW) before the weekend is over.

Cemetry Gator posted:

So when it comes to Dragon Ball, I guess that will be a rare instance where the GCCX subs will use the Japanese name, since more people know what Dragon Ball is than remember what Dragon Power was.

Right?

It's come up before so I think I'm safe saying that the Dragon Ball names will be be used.

I have to say I have kind of a perverse fondness for the First Samurai challenge myself. It's not really what I'd call one of the great episodes but I love seeing Arino struggle with terrible games

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, zari, just so you know I was thinking of holding off releasing the sortas about a week so we can have a nice big celebration with them at the appropriate moment.

That's fine. There really isn't a need to rush those anyway.

jadekitten posted:

Oh, I was thinking it'd be a funny episode because Princess Tomato is already so "what the hell" anyway. So I thought Arino's reactions were probably amusing

Not only is it popular opinion in the Japanese fandom that Princess Tomato is one of the worst episodes, even the staff names it as the worst episode. Quoth the director, "everything about it was bad." But yes, a teacher and student is working on that one, though I'm not sure how far they've gotten. If they decide to drop it, I will translate it though in order to finish up that season. Should be easy since I'm extremely familiar with that game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's two things that have come to mind as I work on this one (just to continue annoying everyone with hints). First, Arino has really improved over the course of the series. Not just his skills as a player but everything about his television presence gets so much better.

The other thing is that it's sad that the arcade he goes to no longer exists. I'm sure the historic machine that it housed has gone somewhere else since old arcade games might not be worth much but there's enough market for it that I'm reasonably sure it wasn't just trashed. It makes me wonder if whoever owns it now knows what they have. Not that it's really that significant other than being a huge part of a cable reality show but it would be nice if it's getting appreciated somewhere instead of languishing in some storage shed somewhere...

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
What episode is this from? It sounds like a funny story.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who the hell subbed that? *Translators note: the Japanese equivalent of 4chan is 2ch.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I hope it's from the April Fool's video that I never got to see. :argh:

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
That's an Edit I think dudes, Text even looks slightly off, I believe he was referring to the game the week before.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
^^^ Now that you mention it, the bottom part of the text on the first picture does look a little skinnier than the rest of the text.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I hope it's from the April Fool's video that I never got to see. :argh:
I checked and it's definitely not from that video.

I'm betting it's either a fake translation from the pre-SAGCCX days and those two screenshots are what's left, or the subtitles were photoshopped in even though the blurriness of the text makes me think fake translation.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
my friend found it on tumblr so no idea if it's real or what

Kleevah
Oct 29, 2011
Pretty sure it's just a shoop from /v/. It shows up in CX-threads there all the time...

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Not only is it popular opinion in the Japanese fandom that Princess Tomato is one of the worst episodes, even the staff names it as the worst episode. Quoth the director, "everything about it was bad." But yes, a teacher and student is working on that one, though I'm not sure how far they've gotten. If they decide to drop it, I will translate it though in order to finish up that season. Should be easy since I'm extremely familiar with that game.

That makes me want to see it even more. On a side note, I start private Japanese lessons on October third. Maybe on a year or two I'll be able to help.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Heti posted:

A 4chan photoshop for sure.

This isn't, however.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Heti posted:

I think that was actually him talking about Ghosts n Goblins.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

FireCar posted:

I got you beat. I have the Starfox 64 preview tape AND a working vcr. I can still hear the bad jokes and watch them push how awesome the rumble pak was. My brothers and I still reference quotes from that (beat up old B52).

I don't have any preview tapes, the only quasi-rare game swag I've got is my Starfox promo t-shirt. When Starfox came out for the SNES they had a little tournament at my local shopping mall where you played a weird score attack version of the first level and the highest score got a free copy of the game and a t-shirt. Of course I was 10 years old at the time, so I can't wear the shirt anymore. But I've still got it in the bottom of my dresser.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I got a package from Gascoin Company.

Got some swag I didn't even ask for! The GCCX in USA hoodie, bandanna and anniversary mousepad. (For those wondering, the hoodie is a unisex medium but fits like a small.)

But here's the best part:

"For Nina, Thank you for everything. If you come to Japan, please come see us. [Arino's autograph]"

Plus a very sweet handwritten thank-you letter from Kan :3: I am the happiest fan right now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
And I am the most jealous fan right now. :sigh:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

"For Nina, Thank you for everything. If you come to Japan, please come see us. [Arino's autograph]"

Plus a very sweet handwritten thank-you letter from Kan :3: I am the happiest fan right now.

It's not very often I feel this pleased that someone else got something really cool, but I drat near squealed when I saw that. Congratulations!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Congrats! And you should totally take them up on their offer someday. You might even get an appearance on the show.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That is fantastic---definitely pursue a trip to Japan at some point in the future, so good of them to be as cordial as they have been.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say an open invitation to visit the show is the rarest GCCX swag of all.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Very cool.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I got a package from Gascoin Company.
That's beyond cool. :)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Congrats, zari-gani! I'd say it's more than deserved for all of the awesome things you've done for both Anglophone and Japanese GCCX fans! :neckbeard: (Timers, other translators, and Ray, you lot are awesome too, of course.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Of course Arino's signature would turn into a star at the end. It's like he has to flaunt his celebrity.

But in all seriousness, that's awesome. You earned that. Further proving that you are the number one fan in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Of course Arino's signature would turn into a star at the end. It's like he has to flaunt his celebrity.

He does that with most of his autographs. You can see it sometimes in the autographed games at the end of episodes.