Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's already been discussed.

I'm loving this race-to-the-bottom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rotaryfun posted:

According to apple insider, Google and Asus are looking at a $99 Nexus 7 next year. What kind of validity is there to this? Is that price point doable while keeping the same stellar experience that the Nexus 7 currently gives?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/27/google-reportedly-planning-to-launch-99-nexus-7-by-end-of-2012
Well if the Ainol Elf II can do it I don't see why not.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's already been discussed.

I'm loving this race-to-the-bottom though.

Sorry, I tend to not really pay attention to this thread as it usually is the android poo poo thread.

edit: wow it was even on the same page as my post. what a terrible poster I am.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If they released an N7 with LTE at 99 bucks with a 20-30/mo data plan I could see it being popular as a voip goole voice phone. 4g data, calls over voip with GV and something like groove IP, sms and mms through GV.

Groove IP already works really well on the n7, it just needs a cell radio to be useful all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zer0spunk posted:

If they released an N7 with LTE at 99 bucks with a 20-30/mo data plan I could see it being popular as a voip goole voice phone. 4g data, calls over voip with GV and something like groove IP, sms and mms through GV.

Groove IP already works really well on the n7, it just needs a cell radio to be useful all the time.

The thing is though, both AT&T and Verizon have dumped the idea of subsidized tablets. So, I'm not sure where that would sell.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

zer0spunk posted:

That is not going to happen anytime soon. $99 WiFi only could certainly be possible, depending on what they remove.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
The future is already here!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/matrix-one-drops-to-60/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The thing is though, both AT&T and Verizon have dumped the idea of subsidized tablets. So, I'm not sure where that would sell.
But who wouldn't want to spend $700 with a two year contract on a tablet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Google is trying its best to put everyone out of business.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I'm waiting for an ad supported tablet with Google ads displayed on the lock screen and notification window.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
So yeah, there's no more flash in JB, and I just got the update notice for my tf201 for it.

Does this only affect flash in the stock browser (which is chrome now, right?) or would it affect the firefox beta too? Whatever Google or anyone else's opinion on flash may be, it's still quite important to me since over 90% of the sites i visit on my tablet are focused around flash. I will avoid the update if I lose flash in firefox

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

So yeah, there's no more flash in JB, and I just got the update notice for my tf201 for it.

Does this only affect flash in the stock browser (which is chrome now, right?) or would it affect the firefox beta too? Whatever Google or anyone else's opinion on flash may be, it's still quite important to me since over 90% of the sites i visit on my tablet are focused around flash. I will avoid the update if I lose flash in firefox

Adobe removed Flash on Android due to them moving to a more HTML5-based system.

It'll work on browsers that support Flash (Firefox is one of them) but you just need to find the APK for Flash.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Adobe removed Flash on Android due to them moving to a more HTML5-based system.

It'll work on browsers that support Flash (Firefox is one of them) but you just need to find the APK for Flash.

Yeah I had seen some of those posts about getting the apk, I thought that was only for the stock browser or if you'd managed to cram the old browser back on there or something.

Are you saying that even if I update to JB and keep using firefox I'll still have to install the flash apk to get that functionality back? I grabbed the apk the day they announced no more updates so I'm ready to go, but I'm still a wee bit skeptical it'll all work out in my favor. My luck is kinda crap.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

Yeah I had seen some of those posts about getting the apk, I thought that was only for the stock browser or if you'd managed to cram the old browser back on there or something.

Are you saying that even if I update to JB and keep using firefox I'll still have to install the flash apk to get that functionality back? I grabbed the apk the day they announced no more updates so I'm ready to go, but I'm still a wee bit skeptical it'll all work out in my favor. My luck is kinda crap.

Yeah, you'll have to get the Flash APK. It should work still according to this tutorial.

It's not the browser itself that ran Flash, it was the APK allowing it. I didn't get flash back on ICS when I didn't have the Flash app installed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
You can get the flash .apk directly from Adobe's archive.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4675670

I'd trust that before some XDA .apk.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SeaWolf posted:

Whatever Google or anyone else's opinion on flash may be, it's still quite important to me since over 90% of the sites i visit on my tablet are focused around flash. I will avoid the update if I lose flash in firefox
As a web developer, I'm curious, what are these 90%+ sites?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Merkinman posted:

weather.com for one.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
yup, weather.com is one.
Few other examples...I also stream live TV from my cable box using ORB and have to use the flash player stream option because it's quite efficient as far as quality/horsepower as my HTPC is not on the upper end of speed when it comes to transcoding the stream.
And a lot of the websites I go to for securities research use flash for the charting info.

The live tv streaming is most important to me since my cable co isn't putting out their tv watching software for android; it's iPad only. And I usually throw that on if I'm playing a PC game where I have no TV or soemtimes just to watch the some baseball in the background while I'm playing Xbox.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, including my own; but after the JB upgrade and a cold boot (Power + Vol Down, then the Android icon) my TF201 has been behaving reasonably well. And of course now I've jinxed it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

My uncle runs a tool truck and he's integrated technology in the way he runs his business. He's used to being able to go in places, log into tool vendors websites, and be able to show products to customers and order them on the spot. He does this all on his Thunderbolt right now.

The only issue is every single vendor's website has primary nav and login pages in flash. If he were to update to a JB device, he would have to change his entire workflow. At the glacial pace that people like tool vendors move, it'll probably be another 10 years before they replace the flash on their website with HTML5.

So, instead of a hand held device that he can fit in his pocket, he's going to have to start lugging in a notebook to these places when his phone finally kicks the bucket.

For me, personally, I'm just annoyed that I can't watch Zero Punctuation on my tablet anymore. The videos worked perfectly on mobile flash, but their HTML5 streams are behind a paywall.

That's one of my biggest annoyances. Mobile enabled streaming is often punted behind a paywall when the content is otherwise free to a normal desktop browser with flash.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 28, 2012

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

bull3964 posted:

The only issue is every single vendor's website has primary nav and login pages in flash.

This sounds incredibly idiotic, yet completely believable.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't someone make a flash-capable browser like iSwifter for jellybean?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

clockworx posted:

This is soooo common amongst industries that aren't IT-based. Like, I expect Silicon Valley companies to have websites that don't require flash, but the further you get from Silicon Valley expect them to be further and further from cutting-edge.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

clockworx posted:

I've ran into quite a few hotels with RADIUS authentication pages for their WiFi that were flash based, and I couldn't get my phone online.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

randyest posted:

Doesn't someone make a flash-capable browser like iSwifter for jellybean?

Yup, I believe Firefox handles flash just fine, but you still have to get the Flash apk itself as far as I know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

This is soooo common amongst industries that aren't IT-based. Like, I expect Silicon Valley companies to have websites that don't require flash, but the further you get from Silicon Valley expect them to be further and further from cutting-edge.

Yup. Most of the time they contract out to the cheapest bidder to make something halfway presentable for the web. Usually that means someone isn't actually coding anything, instead it's some graphic designer using automated tools. If it was done 3-5 years ago, it's like 90% probable that those tools churned out pre-compiled flash.

Then, it's very unlikely the site will ever change until something major happens that requires them to dump everything and start over.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yup. Most of the time they contract out to the cheapest bidder to make something halfway presentable for the web. Usually that means someone isn't actually coding anything, instead it's some graphic designer using automated tools. If it was done 3-5 years ago, it's like 90% probable that those tools churned out pre-compiled flash.

Then, it's very unlikely the site will ever change until something major happens that requires them to dump everything and start over.

A lot of colleges are actually teaching more about automated tools and not actual HTML. I was required to take a class for Microsoft Expression Studio 3 and was told, word-for-word, "No one codes in HTML anymore. If you actually get contracted to make a website, you're going to be using programs like this."

I got a B in the class but learned HTML on my own anyway from W3C because I needed it for a future class.

If what I was told is true, I don't have much hope for HTML5's growth unless it's stuffed into something like Expression Studio or Dreamweaver.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah exactly... it's all I ever use Flash for on my phone and tablet. loving vendors and clients and poo poo with websites I have to get on to for work stuff and lord knows they're not getting replaced with plain HTML sites (not even HTML5 bullshit, they should just be plain old HTML) anytime soon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

When did you get a job?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Our little boy's growing up so fast. Before you know it he's going to be the smartest man in america.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

A lot of colleges are actually teaching more about automated tools and not actual HTML. I was required to take a class for Microsoft Expression Studio 3 and was told, word-for-word, "No one codes in HTML anymore. If you actually get contracted to make a website, you're going to be using programs like this."

I got a B in the class but learned HTML on my own anyway from W3C because I needed it for a future class.

If what I was told is true, I don't have much hope for HTML5's growth unless it's stuffed into something like Expression Studio or Dreamweaver.

I uh... still hand write HTML. Not en masse or anything but if something has to get up quick. I wonder if in 10 year's time that's going to make me the equivalent of someone who does everything in machine code.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Nevermind, I got if fixed.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 29, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Syrinxx posted:

Does anyone know if Asus will accept a rooted tablet for warranty repair? I haven't replaced the bootloader, just rooted my TF700. But I need to get it to them at some point to fix the screen lifting issue (which might as well just be called the "Asus issue")

FWIW, I read a lot of positive reviews of how mature Asus is about people sending in modded products on the Asus Eee user forum without issue.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My computer won't pick my tablet up, it says the device has malfunctioned. I think its a problem with the cable.(tf101)

Where can I get a new one quick in Australia because I need to put stuff on it

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GreatKesh posted:

My computer won't pick my tablet up, it says the device has malfunctioned. I think its a problem with the cable.(tf101)

Where can I get a new one quick in Australia because I need to put stuff on it

Do you have WiFi? Use something like ES File Explorer or AirDroid to transfer files from your PC to your tablet.

edit: and if you don't have WiFi, then use Dropbox or similar.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Our university was teaching people doing the web course to use Dreamweaver for making sites, including sites with PHP. It was absolutely a step in the Wrong Direction. I had friends in there, and had to save their asses a few times by hand-editing their code because Dreamweaver decided to completely gently caress up its own generated code.

One of those guys now works in web design/development, and told me that they laughed during the interview when he said that his uni course taught him Dreamweaver. He now codes his sites by hand: HTML. JavaScript, and PHP.

So do your poo poo by hand, and once you've got PHP down, if you really want to take it one step further, start playing with web application frameworks, like Symfony or Yii - I prefer the former, as it has better documentation and runs under PHP 5.3. There's a hell of a learning curve, but a proper framework allows for high performance sites that scale well.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
My mom wants a stylus. Anyone have experience with them on a Nexus 7 or any other tablet?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Siroc posted:

My mom wants a stylus. Anyone have experience with them on a Nexus 7 or any other tablet?

No personal experience with that but I don't think they would work really well without specific software to take advantage of the added precision. I think the Samsung Note line of products is worth looking at though, as they're designed with that in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgBxr4H59A

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Except for the Galaxy Note 10.1 not actually being very good, sure.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3243546/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/21/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-101-review
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230395/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_10.1_review_Testing_the_stylus_toting_tablet
http://gizmodo.com/5934818/samsung-galaxy-note-101-review-can-a-tablet-fix-what-the-phone-got-wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's not a good school. CSS3+HTML+js is really starting to come into its own. There are quite a few libraries now for animation, data visualization, 3D, mapping, and so on. It's not like it was back when Flash was first canned. And the adoption of things like D3 (#11 on Github) means that I'm not the only one thinking this way.