Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You should try and source a VFR or RVF 400 V4 and put that in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I know someone who would probably have an engine, but I don't think the rear cylinders would fit between the frame spars.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

I know someone who would probably have an engine, but I don't think the rear cylinders would fit between the frame spars.
Psh.
You can weld, right?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Nah, CR500 motor is what you want, the rebuilds won't be any less frequent but at least being a 2T they'll be simpler.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CnEYhExAXc

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it be easier to use the SV engine that you seem to know so well?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Yeah, the fact that someone has already done it is great. I think he just cut the front frame mounts of the Ninja 650 frame and welded them to the SXV frame...I don't know if I want to go that way or if I want to make my own mounts. Once I have the bikes in hand I'll start making decisions like that.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to use the SV engine that you seem to know so well?

SV engine isn't compact enough.

Although I did see this hilariousness recently:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, that's that time of the month when my heart turns to new toys, and so I'm doing a complete garage rotation. I bought a cheap 03 ZX6E off a friend with some nice mods, full suspension, muzzy exhaust, etc.

I decided that dirt riding isn't for me, so the dirtbikes are being traded for an older ZX6E that was an AMA racebike, then the daily rider of the guy who taught me how to work on bikes (he replaced it with a GSXR750). The 03 ZX6E has some top end issues, so I'm going to tear that down and replace the head with a good head, then sell it.

The SV will probably get parted out because no one is going to want to buy it for what I can get for it in parts in it's current config. I'll post up here and in the for sale thread when I have another daily driver ready for people to grab parts.

Speed Triple is already listed for sale.

I currently have Xovaan's bandit in the garage, waiting to get the clutch reinstalled after I hosed up reinstalling the clutch basket last time around. That should get done today and I might have someone buying the S3 as well...then I just need to clean, organize, and start pulling bikes apart.

Once the S3 goes, it's time for the Aprilia/Ninja 650 project to begin.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Z3n posted:

Well, that's that time of the month when my heart turns to new toys, and so I'm doing a complete garage rotation. I bought a cheap 03 ZX6E off a friend with some nice mods, full suspension, muzzy exhaust, etc.

I decided that dirt riding isn't for me, so the dirtbikes are being traded for an older ZX6E that was an AMA racebike, then the daily rider of the guy who taught me how to work on bikes (he replaced it with a GSXR750). The 03 ZX6E has some top end issues, so I'm going to tear that down and replace the head with a good head, then sell it.

The SV will probably get parted out because no one is going to want to buy it for what I can get for it in parts in it's current config. I'll post up here and in the for sale thread when I have another daily driver ready for people to grab parts.

I currently have Xovaan's bandit in the garage, waiting to get the clutch reinstalled after I hosed up reinstalling the clutch basket last time around. That should get done today and I might have someone buying the S3 as well...then I just need to clean, organize, and start pulling bikes apart.

dibs on the sv front end. crossposting this. Dibs dibs dibs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

dibs on the sv front end. crossposting this. Dibs dibs dibs.

Fixed the PM issue.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Wait, what will you be riding if you're selling Sparkle Fabulous or whatever? :raise:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The KLR. Obviously.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

But what will I ride. :mad:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Ride my MZ just because I want to see you all pretzeled up on it. Maybe if you sit on the rear cowl...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Wait, what will you be riding if you're selling Sparkle Fabulous or whatever? :raise:

I'll ride the older ZX6E around for awhile.

Or, of course, MotoMind's ever reliable KLR. What a happy, derpy little bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Ride my MZ just because I want to see you all pretzeled up on it. Maybe if you sit on the rear cowl...

Blegh.

Xovaan posted:

But what will I ride. :mad:

Well you would ride your bandit but uh, xcom happened today.

So did the new pet dove (pidgins), too.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Blegh.

Well you would ride your bandit but uh, xcom happened today.

So did the new pet dove (pidgins), too.

Aliens terrorise California - to the Skyranger! :neckbeard:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

That bike :allears:

Also, pics of birds please.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, so...I guess I should update this.

Bandit 1200 is back with Xovaan, running fine after the replacement clutch basket.

Triumph was sold, contingent on it checking out at a shop. As it turns out, there's low compression on the middle cylinder, so I agreed to take the bike back. Hopefully it just needs a valve adjustment, but it's pretty clear the work that it supposedly had done on it probably wasn't, so it's getting the full maintenance and service setup it should have gotten from the beginning.

So that's a valve adjustment, coolant flush, oil change, valve change, brake pads, and maybe a tire change.

On the 03 ZX6E, I need to do the top end on it. Then a front tire, plus the usual crap, pads, fluids, etc.

The 93 ZX6E is my commuter but something has to be done about that loud rear end exhaust. Figure I'll shove a baffle into it and see if it quiets down a bit.

Also potentially have a line on a Daytona 675 for a trackbike or something. Also a potential line on a Ninja 650 to get the engine out of - ex trackbike, so lots of mods but a bit more money up front.

This weekend I should be able to get to some of these things.

Also considering, if the S3 is hopeless, turning that into a trackbike for giggles, and beating on it until it explodes.

Oh yeah - everyone should come out and go drag racing on November 14th at Sonoma raceway.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 1, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So today was pretty much devoted to getting the S3 back to life.

As we left it last - low compression on the center cylinder. The shop claimed 260/180/250.

This morning, I cleaned things up a bit, and then dug into it. Everything went pretty smoothly, no broken bolts, no major problems. Get it down to the valve cover, pull the plugs that were installed by the shop when they did the compression test, they look decent. Get the compression tester in there and it won't thread in.

Damnit. The 10MM adapter is too wide because the 1050 engines have the plug sitting at the bottom of a smaller cutout. So I fire up the grinder and grind down the adapter until it fits, no big deal. Check compression on the first cylinder - 225. Check compression on the middle cylinder - 220. Check it on the 3rd cylinder - 215.

What the gently caress.

So I think about it for a bit. The buyer of the bike brought the bike into the shop hot when the compression was tested so maybe it's got a tight valve, and when it gets hot, compression goes down. So I pull the valve cover, and check the valves. They're pretty much perfect, right at the loose end of the spec. Exactly where I'd expect them to be if someone had just adjusted them. Most of them are dead on at the loose side of the spec, with a couple .025mm looser than the spec, so obviously someone adjusted them and went slightly on the loose side, as I would have.

So, now I'm starting to get annoyed at the shop...because it sounds like they hosed up the compression test. But to be absolutely certain, I button the entire thing up, take it out for a spin, get it nice and hot, and tear it down again and check compression. 230/230/230.

So basically, the shop hosed up the compression test (incidentally, if you leave the throttle shut, it'll only make it around 180PSI). So I bet they forgot to crank the throttle open for the middle cylinder on the test.

So that's how I spent my day. Getting dicked around because a shop can't do their job properly. Faaantastic.

And I paid half of the diagnostic fees when I took the bike back from the guy.

Fuckers.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

And that's why I will always trust you with my bike over a shop.

That whole situation is pretty much a pile of excrement and I'm sorry you had to go through it. If it makes you feel any better, I doubled up on Seafoam in my bike and after, with a fresh tank of gas, the thing runs like a champ. New clutch burns like disco inferno thanks2u. :sun:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's not the end of the world...just annoying. I'm hoping the guy comes back, picks up the bike again, and I can just be done with it. Freaking motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Look what followed me home.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That doesn't look broken. :raise:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

And it's the best color :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's broken.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

It's broken.

It's not broken!

(details to come at some point in the future)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 17, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, so...a proper update.

May as well starting with the Triumph, I suppose. It's an 06 Daytona 675, bought with a salvage title and not running from a buddy. Came with an extra set of side fairings, an extra set of rims, couple of sets of headlights, and some other odds and ends. The original plan was to turn it into a trackbike, but the wife has always had a fondness for these bikes and claimed it, so now it's getting turned into a streetbike for her.

The primary issue on the bike right off the bat was...it didn't have a battery. The secondary issue was that it wouldn't start. The PO had mentioned that it was throwing the P0355 code, which indicates a crank position sensor failure, so I ordered a used stator off of ebay and tossed it in and it fired right up. Blew a little blue smoke, but that's to be expected on a bike that hasn't been run in about 2 years. Pick up a new battery for it too. Then I took it out on it's first proper ride around with my housemate and his multistrada.

It definitely needs spark plugs, a filter, valve check, and a throttle body sync. But that should be relatively easy with TuneECU and the $17 USB to OBDII cable that I got. TuneECU is pretty rad, giving complete readouts of all the sensor and allowing you to test individual parts.

Then Thanksgiving came around, so I was out of town for awhile, but I did order some longer brake lines from Galfer USA and a bar and risers for it. Going to cut some mounts to fit in the bottom of the triple clamp tomorrow, drill them to accept the bolt from the handlebar, and see how it all mounts up. I just sort of tossed them on to see if the bar would even work, it looks like it should work ok - it may even go over the top of the windscreen.

I'll do some test fitting tomorrow to see how easy it's going to be to get the electrical/throttle/clutch cables to make it up to the handlebars.

I'm going through the effort to make this one look much more clean cosmetically, because if the wife likes it, it'll probably be a pretty much permanent fixture in the garage. Spare bike in case I've broken my daily driver, and the wife's bike for touring. Once the bars go on, then I'll make a set of rearsets and probably send the lot off to get powdercoated black to match everything else. Then it just needs fresh tires, some bondo and some paint, and it should be done.

Dunno what color it's going to be, that's the wife's call.

Also waiting on picking up a GS500 that also has a salvage title, hopefully getting some other bikes out of the garage, the return of the housemate's GS650 from oregon, and...damnit, I need a larger garage again.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mustard or nothing :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Where did you order the cable? The first one I bought from Amazon that was advertised to work with TuneECU didn't so I ended up having to order the one from the UK shop that everyone talks about. :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Where did you order the cable? The first one I bought from Amazon that was advertised to work with TuneECU didn't so I ended up having to order the one from the UK shop that everyone talks about. :suicide:

I got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZKKMLE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Which is probably the one on amazon you're referring to. Sounds like yours was just defective.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZKKMLE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Which is probably the one on amazon you're referring to. Sounds like yours was just defective.

Maybe, it had a different chipset in it than was required to work (Windows identified it as differently driver wise). Also, when you do load a tune on it make sure you copy/paste the 3-6th gear ignition map over the 1st and 2nd ignition maps - it adds a little bit of power and reduces engine braking off throttle in lower gears. I'm gonna have the thing tuned here soon because I can smell it's rich and the throttle/power is soft.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe, it had a different chipset in it than was required to work (Windows identified it as differently driver wise). Also, when you do load a tune on it make sure you copy/paste the 3-6th gear ignition map over the 1st and 2nd ignition maps - it adds a little bit of power and reduces engine braking off throttle in lower gears. I'm gonna have the thing tuned here soon because I can smell it's rich and the throttle/power is soft.

But how am I supposed to back it in with less engine braking? :mad: But then again, wheelies :allears:

Anyways, today Motomind swung by and threw some tire irons at his KLR for awhile. I worked on machining out some handlebar mounts for the wife's Daytona. End result was this:

The bars actually go over the windscreen at full lock, but I'm not sure if they're going to clear once I put the controls on there. Will have to wait until the lines show up to find out. Looks like all of the cables will clear too, which is nice because it means I won't have to spend $100 on assorted cable making kits. Not sure if I'm pleased or sad about not making my own cables for it. As long as everything looks clean, it's not a huge loss.

The multistrada needs a clutch, which is on order. Repair manual left Santa Cruz, and now is in Dulles, VA for some loving reason. I'm like 2 hours away from Santa Cruz...how did it end up in VA.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is still enough engine braking to get the back end sideways, trust me. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

There is still enough engine braking to get the back end sideways, trust me. :v:

I cannot wait to have this thing done. The Street Triple has always been on my list of bikes to own, and having one with the daytona engine/suspension is going to be awesome.

Plus it'll be a staple in the garage for awhile because the wife probably won't want to get rid of it for a long time. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It does get sideways really easily, that's for sure.

Anyways, GS500 shows up tonight, GS650 is in the back of the truck right now, I've got lines on a ZX6R and an SXV, so...definitely need a bigger garage like ASAP.

Thusly the listing of the other E model. I could fix it up but drat, I have too many other projects on my plate and it runs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Got the handlebars on the Daytona, with the longer SS lines from Galfer. Need to order cable kits to make new clutch/throttle cables that can route in a cleaner fashion. Also need to figure out a better solution for the brake MC, and then I guess the wife wants it without a fairing so I'll need to order a headlight.

Looking at an SXV this weekend. Didn't get a chance to get the GS500 started last night cause I got a flat. :( Gonna have a busy weekend...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know if you've beaten the poo poo out of the 675 yet but are you able to get the front end to hop a bit in a hard left turn to right turn transition (or reverse), especially hard on the throttle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know if you've beaten the poo poo out of the 675 yet but are you able to get the front end to hop a bit in a hard left turn to right turn transition (or reverse), especially hard on the throttle?

What sort of transition? Like big lean to big lean, or more of a swerve? I can definitely get the front end light enough that without using my legs and making the movement a more physical body motion vs. using the bars it'll chatter a bit. But thats only when donging it up.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Did you try the drivers on the TuneECU website? Mine didn't work initially either and had some other name in device manager until I did that.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Did you try the drivers on the TuneECU website? Mine didn't work initially either and had some other name in device manager until I did that.

Yeah, I assume the cable was just bad. The new one works great. :)

Z3n posted:

What sort of transition? Like big lean to big lean, or more of a swerve? I can definitely get the front end light enough that without using my legs and making the movement a more physical body motion vs. using the bars it'll chatter a bit. But thats only when donging it up.

Big lean to big lean. I love how this bike turns in and transitions, sooooo quick.

• Locked thread