Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

It flopped because nobody knew it existed. Seriously, I have not seen a single ad on tv or anywhere for this movie. I literally didn't even know it existed until a friend got tickets to an advance screening.

I had the same experience, except I only learned of its existence after noticing the Current Releases review of it.

Makes me wonder if similar things happened to a lot of the folks that did end up seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordWeird
Feb 5, 2009

I play a
strasophereocaster
I had heard they were making it, but didn't have any idea it was out until my buddy asked if I want to go see it. Best action flick I've seen in a while and it's a tragedy we're not going to get more of them. I loved the gritty interpretation of Mega-City 1.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The trailer I saw for this movie made it seem really bland but some buddies wanted to go see it and overall I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I saw it on a huge rear end new mini-imax style screen in 3D and I can also report that there were maybe 5 people in the theater besides ourselves. I saw The Raid and like many people have mentioned that movie is much more fluid and the way that the characters progress through the tower is more interesting. I was surprised by the care put into the looks of some of the sets but was disappointed at the real lack of passive satire in the environment I was expecting out of a Dredd movie (homeless guy and meat wagon cleanup scenes were on point though). Action was usually solid and those scenes felt dynamic and pulled you into them nicely. Slow-mo was used to great effect and actually made sense in the movie - just compare to the new Resident Evil for laughs.

It might have been because the screen was so large but like that other goon was mentioning the actual 3D and converted 3D scenes didn't always mesh and there were times I felt myself wondering why the movie was looking better at points. Also the digital noise mentioned was distracting at times - I was surprised to see that in a movie with a budget like this. Overall it was a fun flick I would recommend to anyone looking for some violence!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This is sort of semi related, but did anyone see the trailer for the RZA movie called "The Man with the Iron Hands?" :stare:

I didn't really know what to think of it, but the way that it looked was reminded me of Sucker Punch for some reason.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blackguy32 posted:

This is sort of semi related, but did anyone see the trailer for the RZA movie called "The Man with the Iron Hands?" :stare:

I didn't really know what to think of it, but the way that it looked was reminded me of Sucker Punch for some reason.

I saw that one, a trailer for a new Arnold Schwarzenegger film, a couple derivative horror flicks and a new Silent Hill movie, which surprised me.

I thought after the other Silent Hill movie they weren't going to try and make any more (the movie was fun, but I thought it didn't make that much money for some reason).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Saw it last night with a buddy based on the positive reviews, and we both loved it! It felt a lot like a sci-fi 80's buddy cop movie, like something John Carpenter would've done (lots of Assault on Precinct 13 influences).

Dammit, I would totally look forward to a string of sequels with these two Judges going around kicking rear end. I guess the lame trailers and the stigma of the Stallone film did this one in. :(

Edit: Also this is the first time in a while I really felt the 3D was worthwhile for a film. The slo-mo sequences looked amazing coming out of the screen.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

As a long, long time Judge Dredd fan I can say: hell yes. :D

Hoping for more.

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, this does look totally awesome. Great to see Russell Crow in a "cool" movie again :).

But again, this movie has also crept up on me like Dredd, I'd like to think I'm somewhat "in the know" of upcoming movies, and this one has appeared out of the blue, seemingly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Crossposting from the posters thread, this poster will be on sale at a random time in the afternoon from Mondo. Their posters sell out within minutes, if you're not familiar with them.

quote:

Dredd 3D by Jock
24x36”
$45 regular edition

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Got a link dude?

Jefferoo posted:

Found this great fanart by Jamie McKelvie on Twitter today:

I love it.

Crackerman posted:

The biggest laugh I remember (from the five of us at the screening):

Kid: Freeze!
Dredd: Why?

Yeah my theatre really cracked up on that part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

It looked pretty terrible to me. At least I got to see a preview for Paranormal Activity 4 though. Those movies aren't wearing out there welcome at all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Got a link dude?

No. There is no link until they post on Twitter saying it's on sale.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

GonSmithe posted:

No. There is no link until they post on Twitter saying it's on sale.

It will show up here whenever they release it: http://www.mondotees.com/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GonSmithe posted:

Crossposting from the posters thread, this poster will be on sale at a random time in the afternoon from Mondo.

Whose afternoon?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

Whose afternoon?

Texas', I think.

edit- Yep:
Mondo creates limited edition screen printed posters for our favorite classic and contemporary films, in addition to vinyl movie soundtracks, VHS re-issues, and apparel. We also have a permanent gallery space in Austin, TX featuring a mix of original artwork and limited edition screen prints.

Our gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe St. Austin TX 78751

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

For any fellow Aussies planning on seeing this when it hits in a month, Village Cinemas is selling the MAN PASS:

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Offers/Man-Pass.htm

$27, for use on 3 movies out of Taken 2, Lawless, Savages, PA4 and Dredd. I have no interest in Savages or PA4, but the rest should be worth $9 a screening.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BreakAtmo posted:

For any fellow Aussies planning on seeing this when it hits in a month, Village Cinemas is selling the MAN PASS:

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Offers/Man-Pass.htm

$27, for use on 3 movies out of Taken 2, Lawless, Savages, PA4 and Dredd. I have no interest in Savages or PA4, but the rest should be worth $9 a screening.

gently caress yeah.

The real question is, will they just let me see Dredd three times?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I finally saw Dredd last night, and I echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread - it was utterly fantastic. I really appreciated the five-minutes-into-the-future sort of lived-in dystopia that Mega-City One was; the whole city wasn't completely remodeled to be swanky and futuristic, but just had bits and bobs of new everywhere (the monolithic blocks and the Hall of Justice).

One particular element I loved was the industrial soundtrack; it really gave it a nice John Carpenter-esque feel, and I really want to pick it up. In the meantime, here's a place that has it streaming on SoundCloud:

http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/2366093?secret_token=s-M4Gux&show_artwork=true&secret_url=true

I really recommend giving it a listen, it's absolutely great. The music used during the SloMo moments (SloMoments?) was particularly effective, because they incorporated the super-stretched sound gimmick that makes every song sound like an ambient masterpiece. Basically, they took a meme about a Justin Beiber song and turned it into a great filmmaking/composing tool.

Urban nailed it, Thirlby nailed it, Headey nailed it, and the rest of the cast was perfectly suited to the needs of the script (I'd never heard of Domhnall Gleeson before Clumsy mentioned him, and I wasn't watching for him, but he was also great in this). I might be seeing it again tonight.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Went for a second viewing this evening. I've read most of case files #2 and the latest JD Megazine since my first outing, it was nice to have some extra context.

^ Thanks for the link, it is an excellent soundtrack. Seems like a fusion of Social Network/Drive at times.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Resonance posted:

^ Thanks for the link, it is an excellent soundtrack. Seems like a fusion of Social Network/Drive at times.
One of the synthlines did have me whispering "real human being" to myself during the movie.

I'm with most everyone else, I really enjoyed this. It's probably the comic bookiest comic book movie there's been in a while, I think, the way a lot of the shots were composed, as well as its creative use of slo-mo. And absolutely beautiful comeback lines delivered with unwavering anti-humor, too.

One thing that disappointed me was the film's climax where after finally getting to the top of the complex where Ma-Ma is, Anderson gets knocked out pretty much immediately, there's an extremely short stand-off between Dredd and Ma-Ma, who's basically resigned to dying at this point, and then Dredd takes his chances and throws her out the window. I was anticipating something a bit more dramatic than that, it's not much fun seeing your main antagonist basically give up.

I'm sure one could argue that it was thematically appropriate, though, and goddamn, how else are you gonna resolve that situation after spending the entire film killing much tougher people, even getting shot in the process and still going.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

One of the synthlines did have me whispering "real human being" to myself during the movie.

I'm with most everyone else, I really enjoyed this. It's probably the comic bookiest comic book movie there's been in a while, I think, the way a lot of the shots were composed, as well as its creative use of slo-mo. And absolutely beautiful comeback lines delivered with unwavering anti-humor, too.

One thing that disappointed me was the film's climax where after finally getting to the top of the complex where Ma-Ma is, Anderson gets knocked out pretty much immediately, there's an extremely short stand-off between Dredd and Ma-Ma, who's basically resigned to dying at this point, and then Dredd takes his chances and throws her out the window. I was anticipating something a bit more dramatic than that, it's not much fun seeing your main antagonist basically give up.

I'm sure one could argue that it was thematically appropriate, though, and goddamn, how else are you gonna resolve that situation after spending the entire film killing much tougher people, even getting shot in the process and still going.

That is not true. She thought that she had the upperhand with the trigger and thought that Dredd would not risk all those lives

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
This is such a great, clever way to get a Judge Dredd film made in the current climate. The screenplay doesn't try to take us all over the city and cram in a dozen characters or set pieces.

It does a good job of making the events feel like just another day in Mega-City One and the film doesn't outstay its welcome because of it.
Obviously, the relatively modest budget has a part in this, but I think Alex Garland's script is deliberately low-key and minimalist.

The casting is excellent. I completely buy Urban as Dredd and Thirlby is impressive. Lena Headey is always good, but here she really is frightening as the sadistic Ma-Ma.

I didn't expect a Dredd movie to be beautiful, but the Slo-Mo shots are genuinely lovely to look at. I'm pretty proud that this film is UK produced, and it'll be a real shame if it doesn't make its money back on the cinema run. I went twice to help it along a little.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. She thought that she had the upperhand with the trigger and thought that Dredd would not risk all those lives
I took that more as her basically trying to force Dredd to kill a bunch of people, since that confrontation almost certainly wasn't going to end with Dredd and Anderson laying down their lives. She was also talking about how fleeting criminal rule is, and how she was simply going to be replaced by someone else eventually anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I took that more as her basically trying to force Dredd to kill a bunch of people, since that confrontation almost certainly wasn't going to end with Dredd and Anderson laying down their lives. She was also talking about how fleeting criminal rule is, and how she was simply going to be replaced by someone else eventually anyway.

She tells them Leave or be responsible for the death of all these people. She might have been willing to die but she wanted a chance to live

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I was more annoyed that the actually showed how she dies in the trailer for the movie.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

tofes posted:

It will show up here whenever they release it: http://www.mondotees.com/
aaaaaaand it sold out in less than 5 minutes. Holy gently caress.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 28, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Gotta be on top of that poo poo. The Looper one sold out in less than 2.

Least I got the Dredd one :getin:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Grey Fox V2 posted:

The really popular prints can literally sell out in seconds, it's crazy

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I love that there was no obvious reason why dredd couldn't have just dragged her downstairs and sorted the bomb watch thing out later, he just had to deliver a sentence RIGHT NOW.

Its been said a million times now but I'm still totally in denial of how poorly this movie is doing. Meanwhile, resident evil is on its 5th installment.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 28, 2012

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

massive spider posted:

I love that there was no obvious reason why dredd couldn't have just dragged her downstairs and sorted the bomb watch thing out later, he just had to deliver a sentence RIGHT NOW.

Its been said a million times now but I'm still totally in denial of how poorly this movie is doing. Meanwhile, resident evil is on its 5th installment.

That's because this movie doesn't have zombies.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Dredd actually went up a couple places from the weekend to Monday. It opened at 6th and was pulling 4th. While that's still not great, it shows that the movie has loving awesome word of mouth.

It's also not dropping many theaters, so that's a good sign.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'd say an overwhelming majority of people around the world only had the 90's Judge Dredd as reference or none at all so to most people this movie probably doesn't look too interesting. Urban also isn't a huge draw

Hopefully word of mouth and DVD sales will help it out though

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United

massive spider posted:

Heh, you just put me into a mini-depression with that comment :). Someone needs to put in an iso-cube for this Injustice!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

massive spider posted:

If you're going to bitch about movies that were only made because the star is married to the director, pick on Underworld. At least Paul WS Anderson was good enough at the end of Resident Evil 3 to have a room containing enough naked Milla Jovoviches that we could each have our own.

Suburban Cyclops
Feb 27, 2008

"I said... Hotshot."
I saw the movie a few weeks back when it released in the UK and thought it was fantastic, shame it seems to be finishing up already though, I had a lot of friends who said they were going to see it and never got around to it.

Going to a special showing tonight with Alan Grant, Al Ewing, Cam Kennedy and Colin Macneil doing a book signing/Q&A session before and after the screening. Tempted to take along my movie poster and see if I can get it signed.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The most cringe worthy part of this movie was the part where Dredd gets shot, and he just says wait. Its so goofy and felt so out of place.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
After failing to grab a Mondo poster I went to the 2000AD store to check out their posters... and found they don't sell any. Not one. Am I wrong for finding this strange? Are they sold anywhere else? They released ones of the Dark Judges just a couple of months ago but even they're gone now.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 28, 2012

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

blackguy32 posted:

The most cringe worthy part of this movie was the part where Dredd gets shot, and he just says wait. Its so goofy and felt so out of place.

Isn't it intended to do that, as a subtle self-aware parody of that happening in the genre? Especially considering the villain monologue that immediately follows.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah that scene doesn't hold up at all, the timing is terrible. Maybe it'd have worked a bit better if the villian hadn't gone on for 30 seconds - was Anderson just standing there the entire time waiting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Yeah that scene doesn't hold up at all, the timing is terrible. Maybe it'd have worked a bit better if the villian hadn't gone on for 30 seconds - was Anderson just standing there the entire time waiting?

He probably saw her or she showed up in his visor or whatever nearby, and expected her to take him out.

• Locked thread