Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

I remember that, I was at Virginia Tech at the time and I was surprised at the turnout for some of the on-campus tournaments

also, Atlus just updated their twitter saying that they released a P4A patch. anyone know what the, uh, deal with that is
The hell? They're releasing a balance patch the weekend of two major tournaments? gently caress, I hope all my combos still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Please don't change anything about elizabeth besides her guard cancel.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I doubt they would make major balance changes with zero prior notice, it's probably just bug fixes and maybe some buggy/broken gameplay stuff like Naoto's infinite.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Troffen posted:

I doubt they would make major balance changes with zero prior notice, it's probably just bug fixes and maybe some buggy/broken gameplay stuff like Naoto's infinite.

Fixing Naoto's SMP loop would make her unplayably bad.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Waterbed posted:

Fixing Naoto's SMP loop would make her unplayably bad.
Yeah, I don't even play the character but I hope they didn't nerf that. That's the thing she has that's good. She needs it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Or they could take it out and give her some stuff in return, like maybe making at least ONE of her normals a fatal counter?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Why in the world would they not release a changelog?

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Apparently the most significant change was the Agidyne bug was taken out. The bug being after you hit with a fire break + agidyne(C) all following agidynes will be unblockable on the last hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfK1i3DgKk

SRK posted:

It’s been confirmed that Yukiko’s Fire Break Agidyne unblockable glitch has been corrected, but anything past that is speculation at this point. According to James Xie, the setups used at The Runback last night were running on v1.01 without any noticeable differences. Combining this with the fact that major changes are usually released first in arcades before moving to consoles, it’s safe to assume nothing significant in regards to game balance has been touched.

Source

Not much to see here, I guess.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Frame data for ALL the cast of Persona 4 Arena!

It should be translated extremely soon, but until then, you got this to look at.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

LightningKimba posted:

Frame data for ALL the cast of Persona 4 Arena!

It should be translated extremely soon, but until then, you got this to look at.

Google Translate is close enough if you already know frame data terms.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
finally finished the work I needed to do in September, now to get in there and be paired up against S+ ranks all day because they're the only ones still playing

I'm very excited about this

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

Am I the only one who turned Navigator voices off? I guess its a cool thing for fans of the series or whatever but to me, the game seems chatty enough without adding two extra voices. I wish this style of game didn't tend to have entire sentences for every single move.

Also, is the online for this game dying in the states? That seems like a shame - as a total fighting game scrub, I've never played a game that felt so accessible to me without feeling dumbed-down. I feel like things like the autocombo system, easy inputs, and use-anywhere OMCs really bring the game to new players successfully.

EDIT: Playing in Japan, where the online community seems to be quite strong. I've still only ever seen a 4 bar connection once, though.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
There's people playing online/offline. I really think this just goes to show how the anime community compares in numbers to the more mainstream games. Heck, even Min from TS was playing SFxT at like 7am and he found ranked matches. Doesn't work as well with this game.

I haven't played BB at all though so I could be wrong, just my impression.

Aside from that I think this game is doing fine. The only other thing is that I think they'll receive a pretty big blow from missing release deadlines for Europe. I've talked to a few top players from over there and they're extremely upset there's not even a date set, they've all but lost interest in buying the game now.

If they work diligently in adding cool content and balancing the game (and stop doing pointless region locks and even worse, delay games because of it), I think the playerbase will grow.

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet
If anything there seems to be more rage quitters online now even at lower ranks I end up playing a lot more people who disconnect right when they lose.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yesterday I didnt fight a ragequitter, but someone who would refuse to fight me ever again, constantly quitting and re-searching for a match.

That might be even sadder than a mid-match quit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gutcruncher posted:

Yesterday I didnt fight a ragequitter, but someone who would refuse to fight me ever again, constantly quitting and re-searching for a match.

That might be even sadder than a mid-match quit.

I had a guy like that a few weeks back, but it was particularly strange because he actually beat me (and it was a close match, so it wasn't like he was way out of my league). I guess he just hated the Kanji mirror?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
There's a guy named PANDEMIC on Xbox live who ragequits versus anyone good and then will refuse to fight them.

Also have a Kanji tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4PNoo4cJlI

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For you ^^ and my other Kanji bros, got some vs Naoto technology that may or may not be well known already. Basically, if you do a slightly late meaty 5c, that beats all her reversal options (except the gunshot super). If she DPs, EX rolls, or A+C dodges, you'll get a nice fatal counter and a 50%+ combo, enjoy! This does lose to wakeup buttons, so mix it up with 5a or command throw to get em.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I added sidereal89 from here, right? Anyway, ggs today my man(I'm purgatos), I never fought a Teddy before haha.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
posting solely to say gently caress yosuke. I whiff a fan and he's on me like a pitbull on a poodle, then I have a friend who plays him complaining nonstop about how bad he is. I wanna break that guy's legs.

I knew Yukiko had a few hold and release combos with SB agi, but I didn't realize how important they were to her damage. I'm really bad with letting go of buttons to do things in fgs (even in SC I could never play Hilde because my brain wouldn't understand), so I'm worried I'll have to switch to a different character soon. kind of disappointing I'm such a nublord

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
As a Slabs player, I am intensely envious of characters with actual safe blockstrings.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Batigh posted:

As a Slabs player, I am intensely envious of characters with actual safe blockstrings.

Can't you just end blockstrings in guillotine axe?

apple
May 18, 2003

Batigh posted:

This is probably just because of her pet. Technically she has a ton of safe blockstrings, they just all require Asterius. Aside from that, 2A/5A 214A OMC into whatever is really hard to block, but it's not too great by itself being -7 on block.

One of my favorites is just doing 8C when they're mid-range, and doing sj.214B to catch them running towards me. If they get hit you get a combo and if they block 8C makes it a safe blockstring.

Edit: Other safe blockstrings you can improvise is like, 5C, B+D, or a particularly goofy one by Tomo which is 214214B, 236C+D, used mostly to mash your way out of the corner for 75 meter. I think it's a little gimmicky, but it's surprisingly hard to get into position to punish S.Lab in the heat of the moment, specially with her in the corner.

apple fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 8, 2012

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

apple posted:

This is probably just because of her pet. Technically she has a ton of safe blockstrings, they just all require Asterius. Aside from that, 2A/5A 214A OMC into whatever is really hard to block, but it's not too great by itself being -7 on block.

One of my favorites is just doing 8C when they're mid-range, and doing sj.214B to catch them running towards me. If they get hit you get a combo and if they block 8C makes it a safe blockstring.

Edit: Other safe blockstrings you can improvise is like, 5C, B+D, or a particularly goofy one by Tomo which is 214214B, 236C+D, used mostly to mash your way out of the corner for 75 meter. I think it's a little gimmicky, but it's surprisingly hard to get into position to punish S.Lab in the heat of the moment, specially with her in the corner.

Thanks, that'll help a lot. Problem comes when fighting a Narukami and they can DP me right out of any solo combo more complicated than 5AA. Just the threat of it keeps me from trying much more, but I'll work on timing Asterius better to cover too, particularly the buffalo hammer.

Jmcrofts posted:

Can't you just end blockstrings in guillotine axe?

I just looked up the frame data, and you're right, that's -7 too. Will try to do that more instead of poorly imitating Chie's 5A/2A dashins.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 8, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

posting solely to say gently caress yosuke. I whiff a fan and he's on me like a pitbull on a poodle, then I have a friend who plays him complaining nonstop about how bad he is. I wanna break that guy's legs.

I knew Yukiko had a few hold and release combos with SB agi, but I didn't realize how important they were to her damage. I'm really bad with letting go of buttons to do things in fgs (even in SC I could never play Hilde because my brain wouldn't understand), so I'm worried I'll have to switch to a different character soon. kind of disappointing I'm such a nublord

The input for the basic 1 Maragi version isn't that bad really. Just practice doing 5C 236D~}B{, it's pretty lenient. And once you get those down real well, you can start to work into the double Maragi combos.

Of course, the real challenge is learning how to get into them in the first place reliably. :I

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

EQFiddleCastrol posted:

If you want a character that's more forgiving, you should switch to Naoto!

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

^^^ while my execution is awful it was more the letting go of buttons in lieu of pressing buttons that was causing my brain problems

I was messing around with Elizabeth in ranked today, hoping to get a feel for the character, and banana ken kicked me in the back of head until I stopped moving. what an rear end in a top hat :arghfist::mad:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The input for the basic 1 Maragi version isn't that bad really. Just practice doing 5C 236D~}B{, it's pretty lenient. And once you get those down real well, you can start to work into the double Maragi combos.

Of course, the real challenge is learning how to get into them in the first place reliably. :I

to be honest I just spent about an hour practicing it tonight and finally began to get it reliably (D -> C maragi only, no D -> D manual detonation bullshit). I don't see myself using it in an actual match for a long, long time though :(. gotta be content with my 2k punishers until I decide to switch to liz for good

vvvv after reading 'wakeup super' I expected you to be fighting a Chie. lo and behold

EQFiddleCastrol fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well I went to a tournament over the weekend. I got 2nd :< Here's a video of grand finals (i'm kanji):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cfVmfP4O64

I really need to watch out for wakeup super more...

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Well I went to a tournament over the weekend. I got 2nd :< Here's a video of grand finals (i'm kanji):

I really need to watch out for wakeup super more...
You did punish wakeup super a few times. Maybe you were thinking like "now that I've established I can punish wake up super, he's going to stop doing it" whereas the Chie player was like "lol". Good job on getting second :)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh my god, I finally won a ranked match! It only took me 8 tries! The winning match was against a Shadow Labrys player who was actually worse than I was, which was surprising since this is pretty much my first fighting game. I also won my next match against a regular Labrys, which was a lot closer since me and the other guy were pretty much equal in ability. It was close as hell and the most fun I've had in a while playing games.

I do end up fighting the same people multiple times though. As someone who plays Chie, how do I deal with Mitsuru players? There was one guy in particular who absolutely destroyed me a few times, I just have no idea how to approach. I've had some success straight up rushing in with Rampage, ending in skull cracker if they're blocking since it sends them off anyway, or baiting people with her furious action, but it feels like everything Mitsuru does just pierces through all of my attacks.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

As a beginning player, I found one piece of advice that really helped me step up my game was to slow down. Think about what you're doing and do it for a reason. You don't always need to be attacking; I was entering in inputs basically all the time and getting punished for it. Sometimes it's ok to just block!

apple
May 18, 2003

I got a hold of a PS3 copy, my PSN ID is "SuperBananaKun".. DON'T ASK

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

apple posted:

I got a hold of a PS3 copy, my PSN ID is "SuperBananaKun".. DON'T ASK

I added you, I hope you actually play!

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Wanna play this online again so bad, but can't because of account shenanigans. :(

apple
May 18, 2003

Mr. Fun posted:

I added you, I hope you actually play!

Was playing just now with jmcrofts. I'll get on regularly, but I won't be playing next week since I'll be out of state for school related stuff. I have things to do right now but I'll probably get on again for a little bit afterwards if you're a night owl like me.. :v:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do I beat shadow labrys quick before he comes back

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

How do I beat shadow labrys quick before he comes back
DP between her block strings

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
From a (bad) Slabs' perspective --

Keep up the pressure, but if you see Slabs doing a lot of 2Cs (flame horns), try to stay grounded. Most people I fight are scared to death of it, but there's a pretty good area underneath it where you can fight back with lows without fear. Just watch for the tip of the horns, as that part of the hitbox is lower.

Slabs' solo blockstrings are generally really unsafe. If she tries to 5AA 5AA, or even just 5AAA, you might be able to get a DP off. Just watch for Asterius.

Try to identify times where you can get in a solid B attack on Asterius. Can be easy or hard, depending. I'm terrible so sometimes I get Persona broken three times in a match, even with reasonably good Wall of Crete discipline. Look for cases where you can use bursts/dead angles to break cards, too. They might not deal damage, but they still count as hits.

Slabs doing Titanomachia (Jojo super) on the ground is just asking to eat a combo. Just be careful not to jump into super-armor 2C or something.

If your DP takes you off the ground, seems like it'd be fairly easy to beat the Massive Slaughter loop.

Remember that as long as Slabs is blocking, Asterius is only barely a threat. Watch for EX moves and surprise 2Cs.

-----------

In other news, haven't seen Jourdal upload any P4A footage in a while. Where do y'all go to get stuff?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Batigh posted:

In other news, haven't seen Jourdal upload any P4A footage in a while. Where do y'all go to get stuff?
Well I'm subscribed to Banana Ken's Youtube channel, other than that.... v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

apple posted:

Was playing just now with jmcrofts. I'll get on regularly, but I won't be playing next week since I'll be out of state for school related stuff. I have things to do right now but I'll probably get on again for a little bit afterwards if you're a night owl like me.. :v:

I'll definitely hit you up with an invite someday soon, I have zero experience with the Slabrys matchup.

• Locked thread