Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lap-Lem posted:

It's also a really good mind-gently caress if you don't know the plot going into this movie. I watched it when it came out, and had no idea what it was about. It opens to Michael Douglas in a car in traffic, Joe Everyman stuck in a mundane situation. Knowing Michael Douglas and the fact that he's the first thing you see, you peg him as the hero. The first thing he does is abandon his vehicle in traffic. A dick move but right from there you are cheering for him because, Hey I've always wanted to do that, just say "gently caress it". His goal is stated, he just wants to go home. That sounds good, he's the good guy. Then his crimes start escalating, but you are given reasons for what he does. "He beats these guys up, bet they are gangsters trying to rob/kill him" but as things go, his crimes escalate, and the reasons for his crimes get thinner and thinner. But it's subtle, and soon, you are cheering as he murders a golfer on a golf course because of his crimes of being a jerk. Then the titular line on the docks "So wait, I'm the bad guy?" and everything falls into place. He's not the good guy, he's a creepy stalker terrorizing his ex-wife, the guys a sociopath and... you've been cheering him on this whole time. You WANTED him to kill the people he killed... You wanted him to go 'home'. Up until this point the bumbling cop moments from retirement was the antagonist, he was the bad guy, and why? because they set up Michael Douglas as the good guy through how he was introduced in the film. Through common cinema conventions they got you to root for the bad guy and actively boo and hiss at the good guy. Not through their shades of grey actions, but through pure cinematography. I thought it was pretty smart, it was the first time I had ever watched a movie where the lead character wasn't the hero. That really had an effect on me.

You need to go play Spec Ops: The Line. I think you'll enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

Little Blue Couch posted:

"The Boston gig has been cancelled. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big college town."

This Is Spinal Tap draws its whole humor from subtlety. I'm sitting here talking to my roommate about how this movie is amazingly spot-the-gently caress-on. Christ, the scene where they're talking about how the cover of the album is inappropriate, both David and Nigel have visible herpes.

I noticed the herpes thing for the first time yesterday. In fact, I came here to post that. There are so many things that you only notice after repeated viewings.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
In Gremlins, the dad phones his wife from an inventors' convention. In the background, you see a character sitting in the prop from the old Time Machine movie. While dad is talking, the machine powers up.
There is a cutaway to his wife's home while the phone conversation continues. As we return to the shot of the dad on the phone, the time machine in the background is gone and people are standing around looking puzzled.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dave Syndrome posted:

In Gremlins, the dad phones his wife from an inventors' convention. In the background, you see a character sitting in the prop from the old Time Machine movie. While dad is talking, the machine powers up.
There is a cutaway to his wife's home while the phone conversation continues. As we return to the shot of the dad on the phone, the time machine in the background is gone and people are standing around looking puzzled.

Fun fact: they used the original prop from the 1960 Time Machine movie in that scene. MGM actually sold it when they auctioned off a whole bunch of their props in the 1970s and it was lost for a while but film historian Bob Burns tracked it down eventually and restored it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I watched the Fighter last night and at the start there is a scene where Dickey is walking with a camera crew Mickey and he finds to guys in the alley and they are trading something, he goes up to say hi like he knows them and they disperse real quickly. Of course we learn shortly there after Dickey is a crack junkie.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
About Falling Down, it seems most people lost the meaning of the film by focusing on D-fense. Yes, what he did was terrible but the main point of the movie that a sick society breeds sick people.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just brought it up because the pretend rampage in the movie coincided with the LA riots. Knowing that fact made all the fake violence just seem a little more authentic as I was watching the film knowing that same city was tearing itself a new one while they were filming.

The Muppets (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOW7270RLM4 Chili Dogs
It's more of a quick gag but I caught it and enjoyed it.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Double Muhammad posted:

The Muppets (2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOW7270RLM4 Chili Dogs
It's more of a quick gag but I caught it and enjoyed it.

Wait what am I missing, is there a joke besides the obvious one?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Wait what am I missing, is there a joke besides the obvious one?

I think (s)he might be talking about the star maps bait and switch thing. That's the entire point of the scene, though.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
About Spinal Tap and the whole herpes thing, it was a subplot that got cut out of the movie. Harry Shearer was on the Nerdist podcast recently talking about it. Apparently in the cut plot, all the band members hooked up with the lead singer of the opening act, which is why they all have herpes.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
A tiny thing in Tron Legacy that puts a smile on my face. When Sam is retrieving his motorbike from the impound lot, he quietly calls the guard at the gate by his first name. He must've been through there a lot to be that familiar with the guy.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

NGL posted:

If there was any relationship between Bruce and his mother in Begins, you might be right, but there seriously is none. At all. The two characters never interact.

The object itself is a reflection of Bruce. Its story throughout the films mirrors his. In the end, it illustrates that his character has come full circle by moving beyond the murder of his parents, giving up his death wish, and actually finding happiness and closure. Reducing it to a mere Oedipus complex is just juvenile and myopic.

Batman himself is juvenile and myopic. Like that's kind of his deal.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Sarkozymandias posted:

Batman himself is juvenile and myopic. Like that's kind of his deal.

He always seemed to be really off his rocker to me. For instance, I always wondered how the first conversation went between Superman and Batman:

:patriot: "Yeah, so my entire planet and species were destroyed and now I'm living in an alien world where I'm misunderstood and feared even as I try to protect my new home and the people who live there. Why do you fight crime?"

:stare: "...my parents are dead."

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
This is more of a subtle goof, but once it was pointed out to me, it stuck:

In The Rock, they go through a lot of trouble to recruit Sean Connery's character as an expert on the island, and he talks at length about how he's the only person who knows all the ins and outs necessary, like the timing of the ridiculous flaming crusher hallway they use to break in. Connery rolls through it, and there's a pregnant pause while Nic Cage's character waits for him to open the door and let him in.

The door is easily opened from the inside.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. 47 posted:

He always seemed to be really off his rocker to me. For instance, I always wondered how the first conversation went between Superman and Batman:

:patriot: "Yeah, so my entire planet and species were destroyed and now I'm living in an alien world where I'm misunderstood and feared even as I try to protect my new home and the people who live there. Why do you fight crime?"

:stare: "...my parents are dead."

Yeah who cares if your parents were both shot in front of you when you were a kid. Whoever gets messed up by that is a pussy and needs to man up.

I'm just messing around. Don't yell at me.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Herobotic posted:

About Spinal Tap and the whole herpes thing, it was a subplot that got cut out of the movie. Harry Shearer was on the Nerdist podcast recently talking about it. Apparently in the cut plot, all the band members hooked up with the lead singer of the opening act, which is why they all have herpes.

Honestly I think it works better as it is. It works better with the style of the movie to have one guy have a little something showing in one scene, then it gets worse a little later, then another one of the guys gets it. It's funnier that way.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

There are a couple of things I noticed today watching This is England. Spoilers ahead.

In most of their scenes together, especially early on, Shaun is constantly looking at Combo's eyes and mouth. At first I thought it was because the actor who plays him has slightly dis-aligned eyes, but in a later scene it becomes apparent that he's trying to judge his mood.

There are several moments in the film where Combo fucks with Shaun and others, only for him to admit he is kidding. In the scene where he is introduced to Shaun he fucks around with him and then almost decides he was joking retrospectively. Shaun works out that the guy is a psychopath very early on and you can see him studying him whenever he's in the room. This might be a total coincidence until later on when Combo always seems to go mental at points when characters aren't looking at him - Pukey is gazing out the car window and Combo adjusts his rear-view mirror to watch him doing it. Milky averts his eyes for a split-second just after Combo tells him to stop smiling and that's when he pounces. His mate from prison watches the whole attack and is fine, then he turns away and gets a bottle in the head. The old guy gets blood on his glasses, his vision is obscured, and then he's being thrown against the wall. That plus the fact people are constantly slapping each other in the back of the head - the only time that anyone complains about violence is when its done face to face. It's probably just me reading too much into it, but I still think it's interesting.

There is also a slightly less subtle theme of people doing stuff directly after Shaun tells them not to. He's a kid, thrust into a world of adults, and the people around him disobey every command he gives. If Shaun tells someone not to pick on him, it's fairly likely they'll pick on him in that scene. When Shaun tells Combo that he doesn't like people "talking about his dad, even in a nice way, or talking about the war", Combo starts talking about his dad, in a nice way, then talks about the war.

Part of the reason why I like the film is the fact that the historical symbolism is forced into your face so blatantly that you stop looking for subtle things - but there are lots of them.

I also watched two Cohen Brother's movies today. There's been lots of stuff posted about The Big Lebowski already - so I'll add a couple of things from the massively underrated 2009 film A Serious Man

One of the opening scenes involves the protagonist, Larry Gopnik, explaining the concept of Schrodinger's Cat. A Korean student receives an F on the midterm because he doesn't understand the math and is told that the story is just used to illustrate something much more complex. Later in the film Larry and his wife's lover are in simultaneous, but separate car crashes which occur when Larry is distracted by seeing the Korean student. Larry lives, but the lover does not. He goes to a rabbi because he can't understand what the accidents mean. He asks whether god is telling him that he IS his wife's lover. If this IS the case then he is both alive and dead at the same time! He goes to the rabbi because he understands the story, but not the complexity behind it! At the end of the movie he changes the Korean student's grade to an A as a direct result of his wife's lover. This blows my mind every time I watch the movie.

In another early scene, Larry looks through his (possibly autistic) brother's book of mathematics which he claims is a "probability map" of the universe. The notes are bizarre doodles and strangely arranged patterns which Larry stares at in disbelief. Whilst he later describes his brother as a great mathematician, it's impossibly to work out whether he is staring at them because they are the works of a genius, or because the work is drivel and he is worried about his brother's mental health. However, when he first fans through the pages there is a very brief shot of a crudely drawn tornado on one page. The climax to the film is a tornado descending upon the town.

There is also the less subtle theme of the film set by the opening scene. It tells an ancient Jewish folklore story. A Polish Jew breaks his wagon on the way home through the cold winter, only to meet a man, Reb Groshkover, by pure chance who helps him. He later learns that Groshkover knows his wife and invites him to dine at his house. When he tells his wife, she reacts with shock as Groskover has been dead for some time. Groshkover arrives, the wife accuses him of being a demon, then stabs him with an icepick. He wanders in to the night and the wife shuts the door without revealing whether he is a demon or dying. It's never revealed. This sets the pace for the rest of the movie with dozens of loose threads that arise and are never resolved (Why is Larry's daughter always washing her hair? What is the resolution of the Goy's teeth story? What is Arthur doing when he is arrested in another state for Sodomy? Is Larry's neighbor a vicious anti-Semite, or is he just a private person - he does after all, step in to defend Larry upon seeing him being threatened by the Korean father?). This alone would be interesting, but the fact that the ancient Jewish folklore story was entirely invented for the movie really adds to it. THEN add the details of the scene with the great rabbi. For the whole movie Larry seeks council with this one rabbi but he is never able to get through to him. When we FINALLY meet the Rabbi in question, it is not Larry, but his son who receives the beneifit of his council, and the advice he gives is a brief discussion of Jefferson Airplane. He then gives Larry's son his Walkman back (which he has no logical reason to have and which was playing Jefferson Airplane when it was last seen in the film). AND THEN add the fact that there is a portrait of Reb Groshkover in the Rabbi's office.

I. loving. Love. This. Movie.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
^ Do yourself a favour and watch the two This Is England miniseries', '86 and '88.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

owl_pellet posted:

Honestly I think it works better as it is. It works better with the style of the movie to have one guy have a little something showing in one scene, then it gets worse a little later, then another one of the guys gets it. It's funnier that way.

So did they!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A subtle TV moment!

The Dinosaurs TV show is set in the year 60,000,003 BC so their calendars run backwards.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
At the end of District 9 when the prawns swarm on that one bad guy, one of them tears off his head and sucks on it. Took me 5 views to catch that.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

MariusLecter posted:

At the end of District 9 when the prawns swarm on that one bad guy, one of them tears off his head and sucks on it. Took me 5 views to catch that.

I never caught that. Now I want to watch it again. That's brilliant.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Moon is a movie that is cool. Some spoiler stuff below.

There's lots of good detail in the sets, like when the second Sam goes to the air lock and finds the first suit missing, the door for the first suit is all grimy from handling and the second suit's cabinet is much cleaner. Lots of good little details like that.

Early on, the first time he's checking in on the big collectors from his console at the base, he mentions that Luke's being finicky and you can see the name "Luke" is written in marker over the screen, like the others, but is crossed out and "Judas" is written beside, like this poo poo's happened before.

I think the moon walking is done really well throughout the movie but I especially like when the second Sam is carrying the first back out to the broken rover and he carries him chest high. Possible because of the lower gravity and plausible because I bet it makes it easier to walk, particularly in a bulky suit.

The one that I hadn't noticed before watching it again tonight, is that the first time you see Sam, he's jogging and he's wearing a tee shirt that says "wake me when it's quitting time." Even better, another of that same shirt is packed in a little baggie by the head of the sleeping Sam they go look at in the storage drawers. Apparently the company isn't just heartless, they're actively jerks.

One thing I saw I wanted to know if someone could explain, though. The first Sam draws lots of smiley faces on things. I think first you see rows of them on the shower door or near it and then later he's sitting on the metal toilet and telling himself "two weeks" while he draws some on the metal wall beside him. And that second time, you can clearly see differently worn metal of a second row of smileys that have been wiped away, showing he's drawn them there before. He ends up drawing many more than two weeks worth, if they're days or something. Is it just a ritual to busy his hands and mind for a few minutes or what?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Hydrocodone posted:

One thing I saw I wanted to know if someone could explain, though. The first Sam draws lots of smiley faces on things. I think first you see rows of them on the shower door or near it and then later he's sitting on the metal toilet and telling himself "two weeks" while he draws some on the metal wall beside him. And that second time, you can clearly see differently worn metal of a second row of smileys that have been wiped away, showing he's drawn them there before. He ends up drawing many more than two weeks worth, if they're days or something. Is it just a ritual to busy his hands and mind for a few minutes or what?

It might be just some sort of sanity thing, keeping track of the days like some kind of prisoner in solitary confinement.

It always seems to be "Well this was here when I got here, might as well continue where the other guy left off!", like with the model.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
The Muppets (2011)

When Kermit is calling for stars to come to the reunion show one of the calls you over hear goes something like this:

"Is Mr. Jimmy Carter there?"
"Oh, he doesn't live there anymore? Okay"

He's calling The White House

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
In Batman Begins, Ra's tells Bruce that he was able to move on from his wife's death through taking vengeance on those who killed her.

In Dark Knight Rises we actually get to see that revenge in the flashback of the League of Shadows storming the Pit and attacking the prisoners who killed his wife/injured Bane.

Not a big deal, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Watching Die Hard, its full of this stuff.

Police Guy: I have 30 guys down here covered in glass!
John: Who gives a poo poo about Glass?!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Watching Die Hard, its full of this stuff.

Police Guy: I have 30 guys down here covered in glass!
John: Who gives a poo poo about Glass?!

What's the subtle moment supposed to be here?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chamale posted:

What's the subtle moment supposed to be here?

Later in the film he suddenly cares very much about glass.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Karl, schieß dem Fenster!!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Zushio posted:

My private The Big Lebowski theory is that The Dude in fact owns the bowling alley.

The Dude says that he is unemployed repeatedly.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That DICK! posted:

Unemployed like Mitt Romney.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
Watching Prometheus at the moment and when they go to the suit-view for the characters it has a small HUD with biometrics. When it switches to David, a synthetic person, the biometrics are blank or set at default values. Tiny touch and one that I only picked up on now (duh) but nice all the same.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Maybe he just owns the property the alley is using, thus he has an income but is technically unemployed.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

mind the walrus posted:

Maybe he just owns the property the alley is using, thus he has an income but is technically unemployed.

Then why is he so late on his rent?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
In The Godfather during the horse head sequence, as the camera zooms in on Woltz's bed, he has an Oscar on his nightstand. Of course, the film would go on to win a bunch of Oscars. Keep in mind that Coppola was a young director at the time, barely older than 30. Was this his ambition on display or was it a jab at the academy.....?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Seamonster posted:

In The Godfather during the horse head sequence, as the camera zooms in on Woltz's bed, he has an Oscar on his nightstand. Of course, the film would go on to win a bunch of Oscars. Keep in mind that Coppola was a young director at the time, barely older than 30. Was this his ambition on display or was it a jab at the academy.....?

Been awhile since I watched the movie let alone that scene. But I think it's more-so helping establish or maintain the idea that the character as a famous/big-shot director.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Saw Looper over the weekend (great movie), and one subtle thing I liked had to do with the enforcers of the Rainmaker-- a mass-murdering terrorist/crime boss.

During the flashback/forward/whateverthefuck, showing Old Joe's timeline, he's accosted by a group of thugs, dressed in outfits almost reminiscent of Old West undertakers or something-- wide-brimmed hats and a particular cut to their coats.

This gets a nicely subtle callback later in the film. We find out later in the movie that Cid, a young boy no more than eight years old, is a powerful telekinetic and will grow up to become the Rainmaker. In Cid's bedroom is a poster, depicting a stylized figure in the exact same outfit as the Rainmaker's enforcers, with a title on it stating "Wanted: Black Bart" or something similar. The poster is given no attention by any of the characters, or even any significant camera time, it's just there in the background, but clearly influenced Cid when he later turned evil and murderous.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Looper was basically Subtle_Movie_Moments.avi. Its just utterly packed with references to earlier scenes, subtle subplots, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Looper was basically Subtle_Movie_Moments.avi. Its just utterly packed with references to earlier scenes, subtle subplots, etc etc.

I'd love to see a list of them if anyone has put anything together yet.