Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

Hmmm. Well then. I had heard good things about it from guys at my last store too :(

It's far more sensitive to atmospheric conditions than dullcote, and it's been to my experience that some batches are just plain bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

Hmmm. Well then. I had heard good things about it from guys at my last store too :(

Was your last store a GW store? :v:
Seriously though, Testor's brand varnish (dull and gloss) work awesome.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Seriously though, Testor's brand varnish (dull and gloss) work awesome.

No, it was a local store. But it was also in Fairbanks, AK so whoever it was had probably drank or smoked themselves stupid sometime in the previous months. It was also the only store in town :( I'll try and find some Testor's later on, I don't really need it right now. It's just something I thought would be nice as a finishing touch. I'll post a pic once it's complete :)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I got bored of painting Eldar, so I painted this guy for a game of deathwatch next weekend!

lovely phone pics incoming

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo dudes, how do you shade red? I'm using the GW Mephiston Red and their new wash? Carrobourg? and it isn't really coming out how I want and just looks a bit poo poo.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Purple and then a really dark blue for the deepest parts looks pretty good imo.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Easiest way is a brown wash, then lighten with orange/red.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

What are these innocuous blobs?

They're wreck markers of course!

And they even work in the dark!
Those are awesome. How did you make them?

Also really jealous of your old tank riders, I'd love to get some Catachan riders for my Chimera. I converted one up as a magnetized "pintle-mounted stubber" for my Leman Russ.

With paint:

And since people mentioned aquarium terrain a few pages back, here's another piece of painted pet scenery.

Also posting this here for anybody interested, and to remind myself in the future - it looks like Playmobil makes some products which would be AMAZING bases for really solid jungle terrain.

Would be really easy to get some, rough them up a bit, base them properly with sand and details, glue everything into position, and paint them. Some of the jungle-themed things in particular are really enticing... my Catachan would be right at home in an overgrown temple ruin, or on a swinging jungle bridge. If I find more space to store things I might have to look into them.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

This might be the strangest Russ loadout I've ever seen.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

ghetto wormhole posted:

This might be the strangest Russ loadout I've ever seen.
I was testing the magnetized options. Don't worry, I've never run it like that!

I think this is my only fully-painted loadout (which I also rarely use).

Old classic "Arrogant Bastard" still sees the most play, though having to snap-shot weapons is making him a little less enticing. Not like the Lascannon ever hit anything, anyway... :unsmith:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
War Bull from Scibor I just finished, more pics in the Oath thread. Hard to take pictures of this dude, the bull is looking one way, the dude another. Which is probably why Scibor has all those insert pics on their site.

BALLS!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:psyduck: The dots down each of the feathers. I'd have gone mad.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

I came pretty close to buying this for a winter project. How long did it take?

Also I have a question guys: My airbrush cleaner disappeared in the move, could I soak my airbrush in simple green to get the dried paint out?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

crime fighting hog posted:

I came pretty close to buying this for a winter project. How long did it take?

Also I have a question guys: My airbrush cleaner disappeared in the move, could I soak my airbrush in simple green to get the dried paint out?

Don't ever soak your airbrush, it's really hard on your sealing rings.
Just pull it apart, clean the components with an airbrush-cleaner brush, and then run distilled water/isopropyl through it until it's blowing clean.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Manifest posted:

Don't ever soak your airbrush, it's really hard on your sealing rings.
Just pull it apart, clean the components with an airbrush-cleaner brush, and then run distilled water/isopropyl through it until it's blowing clean.

I take it apart and just soak the needle, tips and main housing usually. I take the o rings out first. I'll try this though, thank you.

Testicular Torsion
Jan 21, 2011

I do this for 15mm with old micro machine playsets. I hit them with some weathering powders, washes, flock and sand and they fit in very nicely.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Those are awesome. How did you make them?

Also really jealous of your old tank riders, I'd love to get some Catachan riders for my Chimera. I converted one up as a magnetized "pintle-mounted stubber" for my Leman Russ.
I wish I could convert up tank riders for my Valhallans! I love the models, but there's only two tank riders. There were a few metal Catachan tank riders back in the day and you can find them on eBay from time to time.

As for the markers, they're just LED tea candles covered in glue and wrapped with cotton. I then spraypainted them black at the bottom. Stole the idea from :wom: who did the same thing in an oath a few years ago.

Also, GW put out a video of the Slayer Sword winner and it's totally boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRMUpIkGBc

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

You know what's a whore? Basecoating red and yellow.

Except with airbrushes :science:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Isn't that stuff a little expensive? I mean for terrain purposes: the hobby is expensive already and "complaining about expense is a bit stupid sometimes" and I get that, but to buy a whole set and just use the terrain, at those prices, seems a bit of a waste. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Never had Playmobil as a kid, so there's that. :v:

crime fighting hog posted:

I take it apart and just soak the needle, tips and main housing usually. I take the o rings out first. I'll try this though, thank you.

As long as you take out all the rubber components (washers, gaskets, o-rings, etc.) you can soak that bitch in simple green just fine. Simple Green will, however, strip any metal plating you components might have on the outside. My Paasche Talon looks like I spilled LSD all over it. :shroom:

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Tim Bisley posted:

Thanks so much to both of you!

I've just basecoated the Dark Vengeance tactical squad and they fit together so much better than the starter paint set marines (not to mention looking a million times better). I'm going to take my time and do several, thinner coats of paint where required and hopefully the results should be a bit less awful!

I've also got my hands on some "Nuln Oil", which might help make the green look a bit less flat. I want to try the Warpstone Glow & Moot Green highlights, but frankly I don't think I have the dexterity to manage that yet!

I initially tried thinning the Caliban Green that went over the basecoat on my starter set marines, but it just ran off the model - I assume it was simply too watered down?

I've just started painting as well - sup buddy!

I found that, in the starter set, thinning that green is a bitch to do. It's already one of the thinnest paints (Leadbelcher is pretty thin, I don't think it needs any water at all but what do I know?) but I dip my starter brush in the Caliban Green paint two or three times, wipe it off on my palette, and then add a single drop of water from this chunky syringe I have (left over from when my cat was sick and needed to be force fed water to live, not because I am the sort of person who just has syringes...) and then swirl it around with the brush until it's mixed.

CG was ready to go then, and came up pretty well though I did need to paint the same areas a few times to get solid colour. The upside to using thin paints though is if you make a mistake, you can just wash the brush off, and go back over that spot with the clean, dry-ish brush and it'll basically soak up your idiocy.

I decided not to thin the Ulthuan Grey/Ushabti Bone first time I used them...they look so crap up close, very uneven. I'll thin them properly next time. By far my biggest problem so far has been overthinning my paints. While I hear that's good for highlights, and getting stuff only in the recesses, you can't do base layers for poo poo.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Can I spitball a Dark Angels successor paintscheme off you guys?

This is going to be for my Ravenwing bikers.

And this will be the Deathwing.

If you notice I didn't post anything about Tac marines I was considering only fielding Ravenwing dudes, Deathwing dudes, Sammael, and Belial.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

ImperialGuard posted:

If you notice I didn't post anything about Tac marines I was considering only fielding Ravenwing dudes, Deathwing dudes, Sammael, and Belial.

Personally i dont like it. Mostly because i dont like split paint schemes anyway apart from a couple of exceptions. I think the problem is the two halves dont look that distinct, i dont think it is really going to pop when you actually paint them and might end up looking a bit odd on the tabletop. If you like it though go for it.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Isn't that stuff a little expensive? I mean for terrain purposes: the hobby is expensive already and "complaining about expense is a bit stupid sometimes" and I get that, but to buy a whole set and just use the terrain, at those prices, seems a bit of a waste. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Never had Playmobil as a kid, so there's that. :v:
I didn't realize, but turns out it sort of is. You can find some good deals on Playmobil trees and stuff on ebay, though, which get you a decent amount more coverage than the official GW forest terrain for the same price and only a little more work. If I can find storage space I might try to get a little more jungle coverage using some.

ImperialGuard posted:

It'd look better with bone/black quarters and green backpacks and weapon casings. Interesting idea, would be neat to see a test model.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
How hard is it, and how long does it take, to strip the paint off models? I'm looking at some models on eBay, which I really want because a lot of them are out of production (Necromunda ones) but I don't like the paint job on them. If it's fairly easy to strip the models, great, I'll buy them. If it's a pain to do so, eh, I might pass. I'm gonna go ahead and say that these models were painted quite a while ago if that makes any difference.

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Gammon posted:

How hard is it, and how long does it take, to strip the paint off models? I'm looking at some models on eBay, which I really want because a lot of them are out of production (Necromunda ones) but I don't like the paint job on them. If it's fairly easy to strip the models, great, I'll buy them. If it's a pain to do so, eh, I might pass. I'm gonna go ahead and say that these models were painted quite a while ago if that makes any difference.

If they're metal, throw them in something with some acetone (nail polish) and the paint will be falling off in minutes. If they're plastic, you'll want some simple green/super clean/totally awesome/whatever and it'll take several hours before it really starts to loosen. I'm lazy, so I usually just throw them in a tupperware container and give it a shake a couple times a day for a week or two until most of the paint is falling off.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Gammon posted:

Simple green in the US, dettol in the UK.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ImperialGuard posted:

The problem with 90% of marine schemes I see with those army painters is there's way too many colors. Limit your palette. Seriously.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
More terrain:

And objectives/stratagems:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have some airbrush questions. I started using my airbrush and about 20 min in I noticed it would stop letting paint come out until I let go of the trigger and it with spray in a little burst. I do not know if my needle was covered in dried paint or if there was some other issue. I have just started using it and it's a little depressing.

Also I noticed that many of you were talking about using alcohol to clean out the color while you were using the airbrush. I tried using water but it never seems a totally get the color out of my air brush and it always be some sort of residue.

Is there a certain percentage of alcohol I should be looking for or is it whatever you got on hand? I believe I have 92 percent but I'm not sure if that would damaged the chrome or gaskets inside of my brush.

I really like airbrushing so far in seems to be a very effective way of painting my miniatures I'm going to be picking up some of those Aztec pots that way I can swap colors more efficiently. There are many different size Aztec pots but most of them seem to be the same price. Is there a downside I'm not seeing to buying a 10 ml pot compared to a 2.5 ml?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Before:

After:

I gave him a light coat of nuln oil, as suggested in this thread; it made the gold in his eyes stand out a bit more and look more dirty/gritty overall, which I like. He doesn't too much different than before to my eyes though, other than his eyes being better contrasted with the leadbelcher on his helmet.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Took a break from commissions to paint up some of my own stuff:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

Before:

After:

I gave him a light coat of nuln oil, as suggested in this thread; it made the gold in his eyes stand out a bit more and look more dirty/gritty overall, which I like. He doesn't too much different than before to my eyes though, other than his eyes being better contrasted with the leadbelcher on his helmet.
This is a comparison I did a year back or so with Badab Black, the predecessor to Nuln Oil:

The only difference between the two is a single coat of Ogryn Flesh on, well, the flesh, and Badab Black on everything else.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Finally got these doggies out of the way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just got my Reaper Bones Kickstarter pledge manager page in an email, and I have a question about the paint sets offered in it. Are they a good deal, $18 for 12 paints in .5oz dropper bottles? What would I pay for those normally otherwise? A lot of my old paints dried up and I need to get some new ones, and this deal seems like a pretty decent one, but I'd like confirmation before dropping 72 bucks on the full set of 48.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In comparison, 17ml (about .57oz) bottles of Vallejo paint in dropper bottles run $3.50 at my FLGS.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tendales posted:

In comparison, 17ml (about .57oz) bottles of Vallejo paint in dropper bottles run $3.50 at my FLGS.

Jesus. Maybe I'll buy two sets, then.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I signed up to get a full set of paints, if that means anything.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Actually even the GW employees give a kind of a "we know it's poo poo but we're not allowed to explicitly criticize our product" answer.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Actually even the GW employees give a kind of a "we know it's poo poo but we're not allowed to explicitly criticize our product" answer.

Some do, yes; the new guy running my local GW store runs the whole, high-pressure "everything we make is the best for miniatures and specifically formulated for them" shtick that really makes me hate life.

:v: "Hey buddy, welcome to the Games Workshop store!"
:confused: "I'm actually a regular. Where's the other manager..?"
:v: "Oh he no longer works here. So have you heard of our products before?"
:confused: "Uh, yes. I'm painting a Grey Knight army at the moment."
:v: "Oh man, those guys are so awesome on the tabletop! What do you need to finish the army off?"
:confused: "Nothing at the moment... Just need some paint."
:v: "You know, our brush sets are terrific and made specifically for our paints! And our painting guides can teach you everything you need to know about painting!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

CrotchPheasant posted:

If they're metal, throw them in something with some acetone (nail polish) and the paint will be falling off in minutes. If they're plastic, you'll want some simple green/super clean/totally awesome/whatever and it'll take several hours before it really starts to loosen. I'm lazy, so I usually just throw them in a tupperware container and give it a shake a couple times a day for a week or two until most of the paint is falling off.

Man, I had no idea it was that easy. Looks like I'm buying me some acetone, and the painted miniatures. I can't believe just how expensive some individual models are on eBay, even if they are out of production.

• Locked thread