Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Those panning shots are something else. I like them!

Some shots from todays game between Vålerenga and Hønefoss:

VIF - Hønefoss by azathosk, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You've been getting a lot better lately. :hfive:

Also Holy poo poo :frogsiren:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Honestly I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. I'd be the first one flipping poo poo arguing if the photog lines were pushed back, but I and all of my sports shooting friends have all had close calls. A buddy of mine got run over at the corner of an end zone (at a high school game even) last year and had his 300 sheared off from the body at its mount. Fortunately he was okay.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

Thanks alot. :)

Regarding that photographer, I'm so happy that I have something between me and the pitch (or the ice when it comes to hockey).

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

DJExile posted:

I got run over by Pacman Jones at the Redskins vs Bengals game less than a week ago. Minus a few bruises and a lens that had to go to the doctor, everything ended up ok!

You get hit shooting football every few games. Just a fact of life. Insure yourself and your equipment :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It seems to me that shooting a football game involves some kind of herd stupidity.. like a buffalo jump or whatever. Once the pattern is established its members continue forward whether they want to or not.

All the photographers could continue to get decent shots if they stepped back a bit, but as soon as one guy inches up to get a different angle, someone else will. Then someone else inches until the entire group is clustered at whatever paint line they aren't permitted to cross.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

All the photographers could continue to get decent shots if they stepped back a bit, but as soon as one guy inches up to get a different angle, someone else will. Then someone else inches until the entire group is clustered at whatever paint line they aren't permitted to cross.

It's not just the photographers in the way though. The NFL Films guys can cross "the line". There are also a billion other people...players (usually the kickers) linesmen, the guys that carry spare balls, etc, etc. If you aren't close, you aren't going to get good sight lines.

Getting run over is just part of the job. Typically you can see it coming, but you are usually too focused on getting the shot that you don't realize you are about to get hit.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Pukestain Pal posted:

Getting run over is just part of the job. Typically you can see it coming, but you are usually too focused on getting the shot that you don't realize you are about to get hit.
I'm so happy I have some boards between me and the action...

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pukestain Pal posted:

It's not just the photographers in the way though. The NFL Films guys can cross "the line". There are also a billion other people...players (usually the kickers) linesmen, the guys that carry spare balls, etc, etc. If you aren't close, you aren't going to get good sight lines.

This is why you make friends with the security guards and event staff. Usually, if you get on their radar as a nice / respectful guy, they'll watch out for you when others break the rules to get closer and are in your way, and give you a break if you need to lean out in that sort of situation.

Or, you do what some of the older photographers do and give people a sharp tap on the leg with the end of your monopod.

Also, I probably shared when this happened, but a friend of mine took a pretty good hit during women's basketball. The girl came careening off the court right under the basket and ran into him, jamming his camera's metal hotshoe up into his chin. The girl was fine, but he was bleeding pretty decently. The athletic trainers on the bench nearest him got him a towel and bandage, which a member of the cross-country team who happened to be sitting behind him helped him apply. He ended up going on a few dates with her :giggity:

http://i.imgur.com/PDtA0.jpg (closer picture of the injury; a little gross)

And then here's a gif of really the only time (quite surprisingly) I ever had any contact. I'm the dude in the gray sweatshirt.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Heh, gifs are the best. This is from a floor remote at my feet a year or two ago.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
More football! Fredrikstad - Vålerenga:

FFK - VIF 01.10.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few more from me. This time it's Vålerenga versus Strømsgodset.

VIF - Strømsgodset 05.10.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
First home game of the season, long time rivalry between neighbouring towns, this used to be event with 3000 fans in 1800 capacity arena, along with 60 cops in riot gear :v: . Well, there was 300 fans and 2 cops this time. Still, great hockey.

IMG_0219 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Yeah, he god KO'd :v:

IMG_0197 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0188 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0066 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0254 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0233 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0263 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0313 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0330 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Our local baseball comps are just starting for the year so I went out and shot the top team at my club.
I've never really shot baseball before. It was difficult because for so much of the game nothing happened.
I'm pretty happy with how some of these came out for a first try though.

Any feedback is appreciated.

IMG_0845.jpg by Rory_Gibson, on Flickr

IMG_0912.jpg by Rory_Gibson, on Flickr

IMG_0955.jpg by Rory_Gibson, on Flickr

IMG_0970.jpg by Rory_Gibson, on Flickr

IMG_1133.jpg by Rory_Gibson, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Your first pitching shot is solid, good moment, expression, and light on the face, I'd just crop in some from the top and bottom. Better than the second pitcher for those reasons.

Ditch the rest, no faces (and in 2 the action is in the background?). You need to be shooting action from in front or at least the side in order to have faces in the frame.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, you're getting very good action but action shots of someone's back are very rarely preferable.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

You almost always need a face for a shot that will ever be used for anything. Shots, much like your first one, with exaggerated facial expression get used more because it catches emotion.

Couple shots from the last couple weeks...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Couple from the redskins/vikings game.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

Pukestain Pal posted:

This is awesome bc I found this from the NFL .gif thread:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Miko posted:

This is awesome bc I found this from the NFL .gif thread:

That's pretty nuts. I saw it through the viewfinder and it looked brutal, but that makes it look even crazier.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Pukestain Pal posted:

What's your preferred method of focusing? Center Point Servo w/ separate focus button? Or Zoned focusing?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

What's your preferred method of focusing? Center Point Servo w/ separate focus button? Or Zoned focusing?

Expanded focus point (in the center) with AI Servo. When you start using anything other than the center point, you lose accuracy, at least with AI Servo. There are some instances where I'll change the focus point though. Field goals are one of them. In soccer, penalty kicks.

I still use the shutter button for focus. I have tried having a separate focus button (for the thumb), but it just doesn't work for me.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 16, 2012

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Pukestain Pal posted:

Expanded focus point (in the center) with AI Servo. When you start using anything other than the center point, you lose accuracy, at least with AI Servo. There are some instances where I'll change the focus point though. Field goals are one of them. In soccer, penalty kicks.

Same as I do. I try to switch the focus points from time to time, but I almost always end up with the center point.

VIF2 - Godset 2 13.10.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah unless you're looking for something really specific, I think you're just inviting trouble if you don't default to holding the center focus point.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Second-button focuser here, I tried it for a day and fell in love, no way I could go back now.

A couple from my weekend, since I haven't shared in a while:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's been a long time since I've posted in the dorkroom. I'm (barely) maintaining my college newspaper photographer status while in grad school. So this means I mostly shoot sports where I can schedule it weeks in advance.

Also, second button focusing represent :hf:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Booooooooooooooooooooo Tech!

(nice pics though)

Miko
May 20, 2001

I was trying to figure out all this AI Servo mumbo jumbo you guys were speaking of, and apparently its called AF-C in Nikonland :downs:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Celebrations are always easy picking...

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

More cyclocross! I actually raced this time (slow as poo poo class), and learned that cyclocross makes you want to puke your face off.

_MG_5682 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

_MG_5489 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

_MG_5758 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

_MG_5827 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 23, 2012

Miko
May 20, 2001

Awesome.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Crossposting from the business thread, since I need to respond to this guy's email soon:

So I emailed a local MMA website about shooting local MMA events for them. I wasn't expecting to get paid at first, since I haven't done it before, and it's mostly for portfolio-building in sports photography. Here's an excerpt from the email:

quote:

I don't pay my photogs and you can't sell the photos (you can watermark them with your logo but mine needs to be on them as well). It's a gig that will look good your MMA resume in my opinion.

This sounds like utter horseshit to me. No pay (which I'm fine with for my first 'official gig') but unlimited exclusivity in exchange for what amounts to 'exposure'? Sounds like a raw deal. I'm thinking about counter-offering at 1 or 2 weeks of exclusivity. I'm correct in reasoning that the client doesn't get to control the creator's copyright, especially without compensation, correct?

E: V I'd also have to drive like an hour and a half each way, pay for parking and tolls out of pocket. Hasn't sent me a contract yet. I shot a different event last month that turned out Okay, and just did 2 weeks exclusivity for the promoter, no problem.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 26, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

red19fire posted:

This sounds like utter horseshit to me. No pay (which I'm fine with for my first 'official gig') but unlimited exclusivity in exchange for what amounts to 'exposure'? Sounds like a raw deal. I'm thinking about counter-offering at 1 or 2 weeks of exclusivity. I'm correct in reasoning that the client doesn't get to control the creator's copyright, especially without compensation, correct?

What's the contract look like? Sounds like he is claiming ownership of the photo, while allowing you to take credit.

You can always say no. It's a tough business to get into, and unfortunately a lot of the time, you end up doing some free work for people in exchange for you getting some work into your portfolio. Do you have the spare time to do it? Maybe it's worth it to you. Only you can really answer that. There will be plenty of people willing to shoot his events for free. Once you prove your worth, there will be plenty of people willing to pay for good, consistant work. Then you get to worry about shooting on deadline!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's absolutely a raw deal. 3 hours of driving for no money and it seems like the "exposure" would be pretty limited if it's anything like that one event you shot. The only logo that should be going on your photos is yours.

Then again, if you're looking at it just as something to help build your portfolio, then it's up to you. I'd still be leery.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's a pretty big non-UFC org, so it would be a pretty sweet gig, but the guy's terms are too restrictive. I wrote back to try to negotiate, but I get the feeling he's just going to find some other scrub.

quote:

While I appreciate the offer, after consulting with some colleagues I am going to have to decline unless we can agree on less restrictive terms. I'd happy to grant you an exclusive license for a one-month period and an unlimited use license for your site, (provided that only my watermark appears on the photos) in exchange for this press pass. That way, you get your exclusive coverage, I can still make money from my work after a set period of time from displaying the work and possibly licensing it to other potential clients.

This is the best way I can see that I can shoot your assignment without violating any ethical tenets of the ASMP.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

red19fire posted:

It's a pretty big non-UFC org, so it would be a pretty sweet gig, but the guy's terms are too restrictive. I wrote back to try to negotiate, but I get the feeling he's just going to find some other scrub.

Careful with granting them a license. Typically editorial images are Rights Managed. So you need to keep very clear records on the usage and terms of the license for each image.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few pictures from last nights match between Vålerenga and Tromsø:

Vålerenga - Tromsø IL by azathosk, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Roller derby match, indoor with reasonable light.
D800 + 70 - 200 f2.8, shot at 1/400 + f4 with a max iso of 4000, usually the camera was around 2000
AF-C with single point but experimented with "3D" which works ok as long as you dont mind which subject pulls focus.

DSC_0950 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DSC_0981 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DSC_0869 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Miko
May 20, 2001

Why didn't you use 2.8? I guess if you're worried about aperture sharpness, but being able to shoot at 2.8 is a huge deal indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Miko posted:

Why didn't you use 2.8? I guess if you're worried about aperture sharpness, but being able to shoot at 2.8 is a huge deal indoors.

Same with the soccer shots above. You want to shoot as open as you can to isolate the foreground better.