Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Snowman, not Lord English, was the one whose death causes (caused, really) the end of the universe. Lord English doesn't give a poo poo about universes. He have her that property but didn't have it himself.

Killing him wouldn't physically destroy the universe as it would with Snowman, but it amounts to the same thing. If he dies, the timeline in which he currently resides and everything in it becomes doomed. It makes direct combat impossible because it warps Sburb's ruleset in his favor.

At this point, the best strategy to actually bring down English is to find Calliope's ghost, wake her up, swap out her consciousness with Caliborn's, and then kill Caliborn's ghost. Paradox space dictates that Lord English has to live, but it likely doesn't give a poo poo about whose mind is occupying LE at the time. From there, Calliope's Muse of Space abilities could safely ensure that Lord English would be permanently locked away in a corner of space that no one could ever find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Do the windy thing!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh poo poo, John is PISSED.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hahaha oh man Jack is going to die here and he's going to die confused, scared, and alone

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think John just went NOT loving AROUND Tier.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Well, it looks like after his tantrum about how everything was miserable and his father was dead and he was lonely, John wasn't in the mood to sit down and discuss his differences with his father's murderer after all. :v:

Dolash posted:

This is actually what I don't like about Caliborn, or at least don't understand, or something. I don't really get how he could've gone from being a player subject to the fate his game wrote for him to being a force greater than the game itself and able to overwrite it. Surely the game could've prevented him from gaining that power by designating him gaining it to not be part of the alpha timeline? He shouldn't be able to subvert it any more than the A1 trolls were able to get around having to scratch their session so that the ectobiology that created them could take place in the post-scratch session.

The best explanation I can come up with is that the game let him gain the power on purpose to achieve a larger meta-level goal, like he's the trash collector of the universe or his existence is necessary to prompt our heroes to complete some great task or goal as part of defeating him.

We still don't know that SBurb is really what's determining fate here. For that matter, given Caliborn's potential Saw-like love of subjecting victims to deadly games and the fact that he will later eat universes which Sburb itself can propagate, my theory has been that Caliborn may be what's responsible for Sburb's creation in the first place, in one of those double mobious reach-around "they created each other" kind of things.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
John cleverly knew that the only way to lure Jack into a trap was to use his uncontrollable desire for trophies against him. Poor jack, he never stood a chance.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

fatherdog posted:

There's no reason to believe that the game is what writes players fates, rather than being subject to the dictates of timeline causality like everything else.

I suppose, it's more of a feeling that unlike the time players who are simply subjected to circular causation, time loops, and an alpha timeline, the most powerful entities of the story (Sburb and Lord English) are actually creating these events to ensure their own existence. Sburb creates itself using time loops just like the players do with ectobiology, but there's an inclination to think that the players are simply coopted by a power able to rewrite their timeline whereas Sburb's creation is more like an autonomous act of self-realization - like God emerging from the chaos, an entity which brings itself into being (even if it isn't a conscious entity).

If Sburb and Lord English are just as much subjects of the timeline as the players, the multiverse becomes a really fatalist place where nobody in the story is actually responsible for the timeline unfolding the way it is, events were simply foretold, which makes the story feel like the product of author fiat. All stories might be the product of writers putting what they want to write, but adding all these circular causations to the timeline then making nobody but the author responsible for them really draws attention to this. I don't know if that's a valid interpretation, time travel isn't a real thing we know about, but narrativly it feels important.

Edit - never mind this poo poo, John's about to lay the smack!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Man, John is really mad. It's about time. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Hahaha oh man Jack is going to die here and he's going to die confused, scared, and alone

Again, that would be incredibly anti-climatic and not in an amusing sort of way, I seriously doubt Jack is going to get killed at least until everyone meets up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Don't worry guys, Jack is just gonna get Windy Thing'd out of the dreambubble entirely.

Then PM will be wondering where the gently caress he went.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
John has unleashed storm of SHOOSHes :allears:

I love it.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

JT Jag posted:

Then PM will be wondering where the gently caress he went.

I hope John doesn't mistake PM as an enemy. :ohdear:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I hope John doesn't mistake PM as an enemy. :ohdear:

Thankfully, her white Prospitian skin will help identify her as an ally.

Unfortunately, her prototyping looking exactly like Jack's will probably throw John for a loop.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pastrymancy posted:

John has unleashed storm of SHOOSHes :allears:

I love it.

No, unfortunately they're just whooshes.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Holy poo poo. John finally lost his poo poo good and proper.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Jack really has to pretty much Green/Red Mile the poo poo out of the dream bubble if he wants to get out of this, since without his teleportation abilities that dinky sword isn't going to be as good as the vrillyhoo. To say the least of the Windy Thing being a factor as well.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Oh, man. John actually looks pretty bad-rear end doing the windy thing. He's been completely overshadowed by Vriska, Dave, and Bro in terms of looking cool in fights, but I actually spent a few moments admiring how angry he looks. Going back and reading the first act with a friend, I'm actually thinking John's recent irritability isn't weird. John's joyful happy-go-luckiness was probably triggered by the newness of the adventure, but when John's a mundane setting, like in early Act 1, he's pretty irritable.

:allears: Looking forward to a cool battle scene.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh man.

If I had the cash, I think I'd know what my next avatar would be, that second to last panel is gorgeous.

John is ready for Round 2. No sucker-stabs this time for Jack.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Color Printer posted:

Thankfully, her white Prospitian skin will help identify her as an ally.

Unfortunately, her prototyping looking exactly like Jack's will probably throw John for a loop.

They've met before, though at this point it's unlikely John would recognize her.

He can probably tell she isn't Jack at the very least. He isn't that dumb.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
It's silly to hope for a "[S]John: Make him pay" but oh man I want to see this go down so bad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah that's awesome and all but teleshanks trump cool.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Seoinin posted:

Yeah that's awesome and all but teleshanks trump cool.

Can't teleshank when you can't teleport.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Happy Underpants posted:

It's silly to hope for a "[S]John: Make him pay" but oh man I want to see this go down so bad.

I know it won't happen, (plus I know Andrew's habits well enough to realize that there is a good chance John will just be stabbed again or something like that) but I'd love a flash set to Heir Conditioning.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
John's gonna woosh Jack so bad Jack's gonna need a hundred combs to fix his fur back.

Eggie fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 29, 2012

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I can't help but feel that John's attack here is going to fail miserably - like "killed (woken up) by his own hammer" miserably. As someone else mentioned it would be a bit anticlimactic if it just worked, plus I dunno if John being angry is enough to suddenly make him powerful enough to defeat Jack anyway.

edit: Though it is interesting that John finally seems to give a drat beyond having a vague sense of obligation.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ShardPhoenix posted:

I can't help but feel that John's attack here is going to fail miserably - like "killed (woken up) by his own hammer" miserably. As someone else mentioned it would be a bit anticlimactic if it just worked, plus I dunno if John being angry is enough to suddenly make him powerful enough to defeat Jack anyway.

I don't think it's going to backfire, because that'll seriously screw up John's whole character arc, since this is the breakdown he's been needing t have for quite a while in the comic. But it's most likely not going to kill Jack. It'll probably gently caress him up pretty bad, but he won't kill him. Either that or while dealing with John Jack gets double teamed by him and PM.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: Though it is interesting that John finally seems to give a drat beyond having a vague sense of obligation.

:their: is middle ground between killing jack and killing himself with his own weapon. This will blow Jack away long enough for John to grab that hammer out of the air, and then the real fight can begin.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ShardPhoenix posted:

What about two years to grind? It seems likely that John's actually far stronger than Jack right now, particularly given Jack doesn't have access to First Guardian powers here.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.
Jack's about to learn a lesson that any being with first guardian abilities should know:

Do not turn your back on the body!

Fake edit: Could someone post that alternate ending to the Jack/Rose deal a fan drew. Where Jack learned the same above lesson?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I dunno, guys. Jack isn't reacting with anger to this attack, just confusion.

I don't think the WHOOSH is going to do jack poo poo, other than knock the hammer out of Jack's hand.

If John was insta-killed, it would negate the point of this whole thing. If Jack was insta-killed, it would remove an interesting character from the story and leave PM with nothing to do. Neither is going to die right away here.

I almost get the feeling John is going to be totally ineffective against Jack, but Jack isn't going to fight back.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I don't remember where it was stated that Jack can't do the teleport thing in the furthest ring. I know Jade says she can't do the teleport thing on the boat because she's cut off from the green sun in Hussie's mansion, but I don't remember that inability applying to Jack.

With that said, I think On-The-Ball John is one of the few characters without green sun, space, or time powers who could go one on one with Jack, telestab or not.

John has the power to control wind, which is ubiquitous on the battlefield. He can hit Jack anywhere, even if Jack is behind him.

And there's the Vrillyhoo popomatic hammer, the dice in which gave Vriska the ability to go toe to toe with Jack.

I say he has a drat good chance.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bobulus posted:

I almost get the feeling John is going to be totally ineffective against Jack, but Jack isn't going to fight back.

I disagree. John can fly just as well as Jack, but without the burden of wings, John's weapon is far superior, and red miles are slow enough that John could probably get at least one hit in before being impaled and waking up.

Akett posted:

I don't remember where it was stated that Jack can't do the teleport thing in the furthest ring.

Yeah, when was this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is it just me or is John's skin a bit grayer here, by which I mean it is a color other than #FFFFFF? Could he be... going grimdark???

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I don't think it matters how high into the godtiers or how good his stats or fray motifs are all of John's deaths seem to happen in cut scenes. He's like some sort of do over aeris.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Akett posted:

And there's the Vrillyhoo popomatic hammer, the dice in which gave Vriska the ability to go toe to toe with Jack.

Would a dream bubble hammer have the same offensive properties as the real thing though? The last couple of walkabouts have made me a little fuzzy on how this would work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Would a dream bubble hammer have the same offensive properties as the real thing though? The last couple of walkabouts have made me a little fuzzy on how this would work.

Considering it's the memory of someone who, while awake, has the real one in his strife deck, I'd say it's going to be at least a little dangerous.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Well everyone seemed to think that Meenah's 2x3dent was able to hurt or kill Roxy's dreamself.

Honestly I don't see why it wouldn't hurt Jack.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ShardPhoenix posted:

plus I dunno if John being angry is enough to suddenly make him powerful enough to defeat Jack anyway.

John conjured up a tornado powerful enough to drill down into the core of a planet. Who the gently caress knows what he can do when he's pissed off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bongo Bill posted:

Is it just me or is John's skin a bit grayer here, by which I mean it is a color other than #FFFFFF? Could he be... going grimdark???

Pretty sure that's just a visual effect to enhance the holy poo poo rageglow John's throwing off. Especially since grimdark involved horrorterror communing of which John has done very very little of.