Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

pandaK posted:

Oh man Kat is going to be pissed

Man who needs stupid Sir Eglamore anyway, he doesn't even have a bird head for a head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sniper Party posted:

Kat and Dr. Disaster are going to flip the gently caress out and team up to form a really sciencey super villain for this comic.

This is really the only way that the comic can continue. Tea-san, make it so

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Migishu posted:

This is really the only way that the comic can continue. Tea-san, make it so

Sorry, things can only unfold in ways that haven't been guessed by readers. Now that it's been said, it is an impossibility.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

pik_d posted:

Sorry, things can only unfold in ways that haven't been guessed by readers. Now that it's been said, it is an impossibility.

You just created a paradox.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh Tom you tease.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What is Jones's connection to Dr. Disaster?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A student posted:

He gave her flowers.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A student posted:

How reliable is the Gunnerkrigg Court wiki? On the page for Jones, it says "Dr. Disaster is smitten with Jones and has given her flowers, as well as asked her on a date, on one occasion. Jones appears to reciprocate the affection in her own way, addressing Disaster by his first name and inviting him to watch a Vincent Price movie with her. They have been said by Tom himself to be dating." It doesn't have a source for the last part though.

On this page: http://gunnerkrigg.wikia.com/wiki/Word_of_Tom:_Parents_and_Court_Staff it says she considers him a friend, but that their date was good, "as usually is", implying that they are or were dating, so that might have been the source for the above.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And the Vincent Price thing comes from here.

We need more screentime for Doctor Disaster. Or at least some Disaster Fun Time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Pretty sure that's just someone making an unwarranted assumption. Tom just said they catch a movie together sometimes, which is not quite the same as dating. He's said elsewhere that she considers him a friend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's also pretty obvious what's going on here between Jones and Eglamore so...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pretty sure that's just someone making an unwarranted assumption. Tom just said they catch a movie together sometimes, which is not quite the same as dating. He's said elsewhere that she considers him a friend.

He's said lots of stuff. It never means what you think it means, even if it's true. Case in point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Aren't we somewhere in the middle of third year now, though? That makes the timeline about right...

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

thespaceinvader posted:

Aren't we somewhere in the middle of third year now, though? That makes the timeline about right...

In this case, it's more that "hear from him" refers to a single sentence as only part of a chapter instead of being a big deal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually, the first comic was at the end of First Year and the second mid-Third Year, so it was less than two years, but I'm not too fussed about a minor timeline flub.

The not what you think it means thing was that 'hear from him' turned out to be a single static-y nonsense phone call.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Or there might be no timeline flub at all! :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It wasn't her father on the end of the line after all! :aaa: Or... it was him, but it's wasn't her! :aaaaa:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think Tom said it was the time since she last spoke to him rather than the time in the story that she said that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm going to laugh my rear end off if it is neither Parley or Antimony, but rather Kat, who ends up the Medium.

Think of the narrative implications. Think of the various drama and reasonings and conflicts that could arise.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Curveball: It's Lindsey.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Zorak posted:

I'm going to laugh my rear end off if it is neither Parley or Antimony, but rather Kat, who ends up the Medium.
Nah, Kat's been too mad at the Court because of the whole Jeanne thing. It's got to be Paz.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

How are you guys missing the obvious clue from last week?

It's MORT

[Edit] I forgot Jones said "she" :doh:

What I meant to say: Red

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 1, 2012

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Waffnuffly posted:

What I meant to say: Red
:allears: I would unironically love an adult forest-person living in the court to become medium. They would have a clear understanding of the dangers lurking in the woods and hopefully actually know something, anything, about the Court proper.

No one's said Antimony, Parley or Smitty are the only three choices for the next medium, right? Bugs me that we don't see any adults diplomatically dealing with the forest(besides Surma). Emotionally strained teenagers really can't be the best political choice when maintaining relations with a mad god's civilization :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

Nah, Kat's been too mad at the Court because of the whole Jeanne thing.

Yes, but that's the thing: the Medium is supposed to stand between the forest and the court. Not just for the one, presumably. I could see Jones considering Antimony as being too pro-forest and, even if not that, a little too unstable. Don't forget Antimony's explosive escape pretty recently into the forest.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So she does age!

And what are those things in the last panel?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dragons, which the guy was punching while bare-chested, presumably.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So she does age!

Looks like a dragon being chased by a Scyther.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Does Jones have any other facial expression other than :geno:? I've never seen her smile, frown, or show any type of emotion ever.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That second panel of Jones and Anonymously Hunky Guy (Jimmy Jims?) is really awesome. :swoon:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
What basis was there for assuming she didn't age? Unless Jones and company were superbuds despite her being an adult, wasn't she confirmed as a kid when Jim and Don were having that diatribe about her not showing up for the group photo? They all knew each other attending the Court.

Also, aren't those dragon-like silhouettes Orjaks? I doubt Jones and Eglamore would be serenely observing some dragons he was actively there to hunt. Apologies for such a rude comparison to any Orjaks lurking.

Also also, I can't believe it took me until today's strip to notice Tom's mention of that emblem on one of the new t-shirts being a Golem's heart. Coincidence? Good timing?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So she does age!

I wonder if the larger one is Sivo.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

AE-35 Unit posted:

Does Jones have any other facial expression other than :geno:? I've never seen her smile, frown, or show any type of emotion ever.

She is literally :smith: in panel 1, so I guess, yes?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Violen posted:

What basis was there for assuming she didn't age? Unless Jones and company were superbuds despite her being an adult, wasn't she confirmed as a kid when Jim and Don were having that diatribe about her not showing up for the group photo? They all knew each other attending the Court.

It was based on the whole she's a robot/golem thing. Also, while she was mentioned in the flashback, we didn't actually see her, so we couldn't be 100% confident of her age.

But that's out the window now, I'm interested in seeing where this is going.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The medium is Red. She lived in the forest, got a new body, and now that she has a name, she'll be UNSTOPPABLE!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Man, the colouring in this chapter is beautiful. Have we reached the end of the pre-full-time buffer? Is this what full time Gunnerkrigging gives us?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heh, is Eglamore's shape a little more like it used to be back in the earlier chapters here? Kind of... sharper and squared.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fatkraken posted:

Man, the colouring in this chapter is beautiful. Have we reached the end of the pre-full-time buffer? Is this what full time Gunnerkrigging gives us?

I think we'd reached that by the last Zimmy chapter.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Migishu posted:

The medium is Red. She lived in the forest, got a new body, and now that she has a name, she'll be UNSTOPPABLE!

Any time there is a dispute or deliberation of any sort: Omega Raspberry

Both parties will get so frustrated that they unite in their quest to wipe the smug off Red's face, but little do they know that Red's smugness is her most immutable attribute. The Forest and Court will be forever friends from then on, assailed only by the occasional buzzing, taunting, and jeering of their mutual loudmouth.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
I love how Tom's drawing and writing of Jones always manages to get across a certain level of reserved aloofness. Every time I read her, I can't help but imagine her as a dignified woman in both manner and dress.

Basically, these last few pages covering Jones have been amazing Tom. I can't wait until Kickstarter allows British submissions so you can set something up and take all my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This chapter can't happen quickly enough.

Zimmy/Gamma for next medium!