Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Do not go to a photographers wedding. I went to my cousin's with my x100 and my aunt wanted me to use his 7d with flash and lenses and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

ash with a five posted:

Come watch motor racing.

I'm hoping to catch the last BTCC event at Brands at the end of October. Looks like I can actually afford the entry. Road trip? I'd like to not have to go alone.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Soulex posted:

I wouldn't be paid if they wanted me to shoot.

I learned the hard way that once your family and friends know you do photography they want you to cover everything.

But it's your wedding...who is "they" that are hiring you? Shouldn't it be you doing the hiring? Do not shoot your own wedding. I don't care who asked you to or what kind of crazy customs you have, that is a terrible idea.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

CarrotFlowers posted:

But it's your wedding...who is "they" that are hiring you? Shouldn't it be you doing the hiring? Do not shoot your own wedding. I don't care who asked you to or what kind of crazy customs you have, that is a terrible idea.
My wife's parents. They are putting the whole thing together. My wife and I are already married. She just wanted to have a traditional wedding in her home country.

And it is a bad idea. I told them this too. Hopefully they will get with it.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So what is the deal with 5d3s being ~$3000 flat on Ebay from people with thousands of positive reviews vs. $3500 on Amazon/Adorama/etc.

That usually wasn't the case in the past. Is it safe to buy from a "reputable" ebay dealer for this kind of thing? Or is it like I suspect and just a huge scam where they won't sell me anything until I buy an extra $2500 of gear from them or it's 'back ordered' but they already charged my card, etc.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

So what is the deal with 5d3s being ~$3000 flat on Ebay from people with thousands of positive reviews vs. $3500 on Amazon/Adorama/etc.

That usually wasn't the case in the past. Is it safe to buy from a "reputable" ebay dealer for this kind of thing? Or is it like I suspect and just a huge scam where they won't sell me anything until I buy an extra $2500 of gear from them or it's 'back ordered' but they already charged my card, etc.

A few of the big shops, like adorama, had a huge sale on their eBay stores the other week on the 5dmk3 for $2700. So of course people bought a bunch to resell.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Ah okay. So I should be all right buying from a reputable one then. I'll do my research first.

Thanks!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Soulex posted:

My wife's parents. They are putting the whole thing together. My wife and I are already married. She just wanted to have a traditional wedding in her home country.

And it is a bad idea. I told them this too. Hopefully they will get with it.

Or just phone the whole thing in with a few cameras on tripods doing time lapse. Tell them that anything free is worth the price you paid for it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Tripods & timelapses is one good idea.

Or, strap a GoPro to your head / shoulder / beltbuckle and shoot it that way.

Are you certain your in-laws didn't hear you say "I shoot a Canon" and think you said "I will shoot a cannon on my wedding day! For that is how much I am in love with your daughter!!"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Or just phone the whole thing in with a few cameras on tripods doing time lapse. Tell them that anything free is worth the price you paid for it.

CyberSync rigged as a shutter release, transmitter in your pocket :v:

EDIT: And a GoPro as a necklace for your wife to capture cleavage-cash-stuffing action to show the grandkids.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Crotch cam would be pretty hilarious.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HPL posted:

Crotch cam would be pretty hilarious.

...in nearly any situation I can imagine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Reason number 834 I want a GoPro...

Why don't people invite me to parties anymore?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

Guessing it's the fursuit.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

SoundMonkey posted:

Guessing it's the fursuit.

No, that's why we invite him to the few parties he gets invited to.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

squidflakes posted:

No, that's why we invite him to the few parties he gets invited to.

Dorkroom FurFilmcon 2012, why does this dragonopotamus smell like D-76?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Make the priest/officiant wear a gopro on a headband, end of story.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Also, next time it's $2700. I need to know that poo poo, I will order the gently caress out of it.

I think I'm going to save up cash instead of putting this all on a credit. I figure there will probably be some kind of sale between now and christmas.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Spedman posted:

Somebody went and compared the iPhone 5 to a 5d MkIII, and found there wasn't much difference when taking a street shot in the middle of the day:

http://dcurt.is/iphone-5-vs-5d-mark-iii

Except if you ignore the huge purple smear across the iPhone shot.

what the gently caress, no, i did not mean to give him 'kudos'

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ExecuDork posted:

Watching the Oregon game tonight they had a segment where they strapped a gopro (or something similar) to a fish at the fish market, before they threw it around and such.

It owned.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So the meter coupler on my original style canonet broke, so I'm more or less stuck using it as a meterless camera, and I'm sure the repair bill would be grossly disproportionate to its value. It's weird, I know it shouldn't bother me but it does to an inordinate amount... I think I've just gotten a little too attached to it over the last couple of years. It's been all over China with me when I visited the homeland last year.

Should I seek help?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You should seek help for your little buddy. He's hurt and he needs you.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
If the repair bill is >= the cost of a standalone meter you should just get one of those and shoot with old meter less cameras to your hearts content.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
5D2 is down to $1799 on every site.

I think I'm going to go with one of those instead of a 5d3. Is there any online vendor that doesn't make you pay tax to Cali anymore? I just moved here from Texas, where literally no one made you pay tax, so I'm not even sure where to look.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Trambopaline posted:

So the meter coupler on my original style canonet broke, so I'm more or less stuck using it as a meterless camera

Sunny 16 4lyfe

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

Sunny 16 4lyfe

There's sun in Scotland?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

There's sun in Scotland?
Sunny 1.4

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
In all seriousness in Scotland it was more like sunny 8-11 in the summer, and sunny 5.6 during the 5hrs of "day" time during the winter.

But in my old home town of Perth in Aus it was sunny 22, it's all grey roads, searing white sand and faded looking coccus palms. Here in Melbourne you don't need to be permanently squinting to avoid solar blindness, which is nice.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Spedman posted:

In all seriousness in Scotland it was more like sunny 8-11 in the summer, and sunny 5.6 during the 5hrs of "day" time during the winter.

But in my old home town of Perth in Aus it was sunny 22, it's all grey roads, searing white sand and faded looking coccus palms. Here in Melbourne you don't need to be permanently squinting to avoid solar blindness, which is nice.

One thing I'm looking forward to in my move from Perth to Sydney is less beige everything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spedman posted:

May I interest you in a pair of those newfangled "sun" glasses? I hear they work a treat! 8-D

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

My friend who does a fair bit of baking and food photography recently had a photo taken from her blog and put on instagram without any credit to her. It has 30 000 likes.

http://followgram.me/i/287321132969640890_205446935

You can see in the comments that she originally just asks to be credited for the work but then because they don't seem to care asks for it to be taken down. Is there any place on instragram for reporting this stuff?

The account holder even specifies that they will credit people for their work but clearly don't give a poo poo.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Fists Up posted:

My friend who does a fair bit of baking and food photography recently had a photo taken from her blog and put on instagram without any credit to her. It has 30 000 likes.

You can see in the comments that she originally just asks to be credited for the work but then because they don't seem to care asks for it to be taken down. Is there any place on instragram for reporting this stuff?

The account holder even specifies that they will credit people for their work but clearly don't give a poo poo.

That's some harsh bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone can steal on the internet so that makes it okay!! :downs:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty much. Its also her fault she didn't plaster watermarks all over it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
This is what the DMCA is made for.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Are there any good Canadian online printing services? My local lab wants $65 for a 20x20 print. :pwn:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Fists Up posted:

If you haven't found it yet, Instagram's DCMA page:

http://help.instagram.com/customer/portal/articles/270501-copyright-and-dmca

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

aliencowboy posted:

Are there any good Canadian online printing services? My local lab wants $65 for a 20x20 print. :pwn:

I haven't found any, but if you do let me know.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I occasionally order stuff to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NY, I might just order some stuff through mpix.com next time I know I'll be down there. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly, I don't know if it's just my local shop, but London Drugs actually do really good quality prints. I don't know if they do 20x20, but it might be worth a look.