Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
That's just... wow. Impressive.

This is more or less what I hope to accomplish by importing Napoleon at War to my gaming club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Unfortunate
Aug 19, 2005
OK, so...Flames of War. I've been seriously craving some non-40K miniatures gaming, and I dug out a box of stuff that I got a year or so ago and never got around to working on. Right now I have a U.S. Assault Company (4 boat sections), the Dutch Cota character, a mortar platoon, a machine gun platoon, and a Sherman platoon. If I run these as 1st Infantry Division veterans that's 1195 points. I'm planning on adding an I&R platoon (110 pts) and the naval gunfire option (200 pts), which will bring it to 1505 points. Any suggestions on what to use the other 245 points for what seems to be the most common army size? I'm thinking either the cannon platoon or a couple of anti-tank platoons, but it's not like I really know what I'm doing...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm assuming you're running 1st ID out of Turning Tide? If so, a few things:

3rd Edition is out. New national rules which will affect what you want to use.

Points should be okay. I believe the CT Infantry in the V3 "Forces" book is line for line the 29th ID out of Turning Tide, with the exception of taking a two M10 tank hunter squad.

Otherwise, consider getting Devil's Charge. There are more toys for you to deal with the heavier German stuff. Also, you'll have access to late model Shermans, including Jumbos and Easy Eights.

Mister Unfortunate
Aug 19, 2005
I'll definitely look at Devil's Charge - thanks!

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
My GHQ order has arrived. I am reasonably happy with the result. However I should of cleaned up the model a bit better. Most of the tanks have a huge mold line through the side of the tank. To remove it I would have to run a knife down the side almost guaranteeing loss of the rivet details.

My Chieftains are painted in the Berlin Brigade Camo scheme. Its a urban camo based on the old WWI era Dazzle scheme. Its designed to break up the tanks lines so at distance it won't be recognized quickly as a tank.

As normal I only have my cheap point and shoot. Lighting is poor and enlarging 6mm figures isn't the best idea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Those look awesome.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup. They do indeed.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LintMan posted:

My Chieftains are painted in the Berlin Brigade Camo scheme. Its a urban camo based on the old WWI era Dazzle scheme. Its designed to break up the tanks lines so at distance it won't be recognized quickly as a tank.

6mm Berlin Brigade buddy! :respek:

They look awesome

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with Maelstrom?

I've always heard people talk about them, so I ordered some poo poo from them, a month ago, and I don't have anything. They FINALLY split my order and sent what they had in stock, but only after I emailed them looking for an update.

A little communication would go a long way.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with Maelstrom?

I've always heard people talk about them, so I ordered some poo poo from them, a month ago, and I don't have anything. They FINALLY split my order and sent what they had in stock, but only after I emailed them looking for an update.

A little communication would go a long way.

I have had very good experiences with them in the past, but recently not so much.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've ordered with them for a year and a half, and they've always been poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The one time I ordered from them they were awesome. That said, that's also back when I had the ability to verbally abuse Gary pretty regularly, which is now not a thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Finally a wargame you can play by email: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1298588640

Check out that dashing cover!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dear god... £5 a turn? gently caress off.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Dear god... £5 a turn? gently caress off.

And at one turn per three weeks, it's sure to be an exciting game that'll keep you on the edge of your seat!

It's like a pen & paper MMO.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Finally a wargame you can play by email: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1298588640

Check out that dashing cover!

They already had that in the 80s, but for free, and probably better.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got my copy of Wargames Illustrated yesterday, it drat near gave me a hernia. It's issue #300 (and thus the 25th anniversary). They put in 300 pages of really good context (from what I've skimmed so far), and it has a retro cover because I'm a subscriber:

The one article that stands out in my mind so far is the new Saga rules for arabs, complete with battleboard.

E: Oh! And of course the Blackhawk Down battle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well, that's something I'll have to grab now I guess.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Sweet! Lucky I just got myself a subscription!

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I have spent the last 8 days assembling and painting an entire Romanian army for Flames of War. Next weekend is Winterfest a 1750pt LW comp which is themed Axis vs Allies on the Eastern front.

Due to more Axis than Allied I switched sides like a true Romanian and themed my force to when the Romanians had surrendered to the Soviets and were fighting with them against Germany and Hungary.

First up is the HQ elements, 2x Panzerschrecks, 2x 60mm Mortars. Also a Sniper where normally they cannot take but I get free due to the competitions special rules. Note I messed up in identifying what was in the box. The 2IC and CnC are actually Kommissar figures not Romanian officers as I had first thought. Too late to change.

Next up is 1st and 2nd Platoon. These are MG teams with a Panzerfaust SMG team as a command team.

HMGs are next, these will most likely we combat attached to the infantry platoons.

Now on to the awesome Schneider 47mm AT gun.

Now for the big boys. Romanian built 75mm Resita TAC 43 gun. These should scare those big cats!

For artillery support we have the 100mm Skoda guns.

To back them up we have the 150mm Skoda guns.

For Soviet support with have a unit of T34/85.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

LintMan posted:

I have spent the last 8 days assembling and painting an entire Romanian army for Flames of War.

Very nice. Might I ask how you did the snow? I'm doing some vikings for Saga, and I'd love to get some snow on their bases.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kinda wish I hadn't sold off my Flames of War stuff, but I had no one to play against.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Its a mix of Baking soda and PVA. Add a tiny amount of blue and brown paint to dull the white.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Has anyone here had any experience with bolt action?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bolt Action just exploded around here, did they come out with a new rulebook this month?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Yes, yes they did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

Its a mix of Baking soda and PVA. Add a tiny amount of blue and brown paint to dull the white.
Another way of doing it, which might not work so well for FoW scale, is baking soda and mixable polyfilla/spackle powder mixed up. It works pretty well.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Any UK based 6mm gamers fancy these- looking for a new home for them

More info here

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Forum/Topic.aspx?CategoryID=12&ForumID=11&TopicID=15797&ForumPage=1

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody know how the Plastic Soldier Company 28mm WWII guys scale with the Wargames Factory ones? I've seen the PSC ones in person and they look a sparse on details - but but they're mostly one or two piece construction and that's a huge plus.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I know this isn't strictly historical, but I realized today just how great Ambush Alley rules would work for an X-Com tabletop.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You mean Tomorrow's War? Also: Yup.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

You mean Tomorrow's War? Also: Yup.

Are there aliens in that? I may have to buy it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Are there aliens in that? I may have to buy it.

No, but you can easily just create your own. I've seen tons of rules for 40K to Tomorrow's war stats and rules for Tyranids, orks, etc... floating around the net.

It's sort of like GURPS: The table top wargame.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC there are aliens of the rubber-forehead variety in it, but that's basically just humans anyway. It's all a matter of special rules really.

In other news I had a game of FoF today from the Cold War Gone Hot book and was pleasantly supprised again at a side clearly dominating the action on the table actually losing the game via a single clever move late-game. If we had gone on later the Soviets would have over-run the village and won via KIA VP, but as it was the defending Polish rebels with US troop backup held the line.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is anybody else reading Bolt Action yet? The forward observer rules (starting on p62) seem to favor your enemy. Once per game you place a target token, and every turn after you roll on a table: 4+ is a successful attack, 2-3 is no effect, but on a 1 the enemy moves the token up to 24" and immediately resolves an attack.

Now what I'm not seeing is any way for your forward observer to ever get the token back on-target. It's explicitly placed once per game. And what's worse is that on subsequent 1s, your opponent gets to change the target again.

I guess it's to represent how risky artillery in close combat can be?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know this isn't strictly historical, but I realized today just how great Ambush Alley rules would work for an X-Com tabletop.

poo poo, I may have to poke at this idea for Tomorrow's War.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

moths posted:

Is anybody else reading Bolt Action yet? The forward observer rules (starting on p62) seem to favor your enemy. Once per game you place a target token, and every turn after you roll on a table: 4+ is a successful attack, 2-3 is no effect, but on a 1 the enemy moves the token up to 24" and immediately resolves an attack.

Now what I'm not seeing is any way for your forward observer to ever get the token back on-target. It's explicitly placed once per game. And what's worse is that on subsequent 1s, your opponent gets to change the target again.

I don't have an answer to your question, but what's your goonpinion on Bolt Action? It is relevant to my interests.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

moths posted:

I'm seeing some Bolt Action players tomorrow. I'll try to find an answer out for you. I know a bunch of folks here really love the rules, and I doubt they'd let something so broken get by them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah the common sense answer is that the target token gets moved for that turn only- except that it isn't what the rules say to do. I wonder if it slipped through playtests because it got played that way anyway.

It's even sillier because your forward observer can't phone in to cease-fire after it starts! You need to keep shelling your own guys until you roll a one, allowing the enemy to aim your artillery at better targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

moths posted:

Yeah the common sense answer is that the target token gets moved for that turn only- except that it isn't what the rules say to do. I wonder if it slipped through playtests because it got played that way anyway.

It's even sillier because your forward observer can't phone in to cease-fire after it starts! You need to keep shelling your own guys until you roll a one, allowing the enemy to aim your artillery at better targets.

This is how the guys I talked to interpreted it. Seems like a poor editing/playtest thing. The guys I talked to seem to love the rules all in all