Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

culdesac posted:

I keep reading conflicting stuff on whether we're getting 13 or 25 episodes in a row. Anyone know for sure?

This is two seasons, so 25 Episodes. I heard rumors of two new seasons for this for a total of 50 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ssmagus posted:

This is two seasons, so 25 Episodes. I heard rumors of two new seasons for this for a total of 50 episodes.

I think he means, is this gonna be 25 episodes in a row, or is it gonna be like 13 now and then another season of 12 later?

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

Blhue posted:

I think he means, is this gonna be 25 episodes in a row, or is it gonna be like 13 now and then another season of 12 later?

yep. just wondering if I should be expecting a long rear end break after this saturday

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

culdesac posted:

yep. just wondering if I should be expecting a long rear end break after this saturday

According to the launch calendar, it should be continuous.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

According to the launch calendar, it should be continuous.

Is it though? I'm seeing episode 13, but not 14 yet. Checking ANN though, we have a title for episode 14 and it sounds like the sort to continue from where 13 may leave off.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Is it though? I'm seeing episode 13, but not 14 yet. Checking ANN though, we have a title for episode 14 and it sounds like the sort to continue from where 13 may leave off.

They advertised it as a 2 cour show to begin with, so it should be continuous.

blkmage
May 15, 2009
The preview for this week's episode indicates it's going to be fishing which is probably not a fantastic spot to leave for a break.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

blkmage posted:

The preview for this week's episode indicates it's going to be fishing which is probably not a fantastic spot to leave for a break.

Hah hah hah. That means that basically, they're going to have The 75th Floor Boss AND the Final Boss in the same episode. I'm gonna be interested to see how they merge that together. <- :wcc: If you can't tell from context that's kinda obviously a novel spoiler I can't help you. :wcc:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 26, 2012

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

blkmage posted:

yes yesssss, this is what I've been waiting for since the whole series started.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My god, that in between frame.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 26, 2012

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Well, I guess this is a sign some money and time got shifted SOMEWHERE in production.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Gearhead posted:

Hah hah hah. That means that basically, they're going to have The 75th Floor Boss AND the Final Boss in the same episode. I'm gonna be interested to see how they merge that together.
novel spoiler, no?
and after the episode with the duel/joining guild/assassination attempt/marriage proposal, I assumed it would be one episode. It'll merge together super easy (full novel spoilers) first half, get called back, head straight to boss fight, defeat it, look sideways at Heathcliff. second half, fight Heathcliff, defeat him, world crumbles, wake up in hospital, roll credits. It fits so easily a chimp could direct it.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Don't know if any of you have seen this or not and there are a lot of spoilers on this site, so be warned. The interesting part is that someone compiled a list of Kirito's SAO character statistics. I don't know how they got this list or how accurate it is, but it's interesting (to me at least) nonetheless.

Here're Asuna's character stats.

If nothing else, the site compiled all the basic SAO character information in one place.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Don't know if any of you have seen this or not and there are a lot of spoilers on this site, so be warned. The interesting part is that someone compiled a list of Kirito's SAO character statistics. I don't know how they got this list or how accurate it is, but it's interesting (to me at least) nonetheless.

Here're Asuna's character stats.

If nothing else, the site compiled all the basic SAO character information in one place.

It pretty much looks like that's all from the Material Edition 2 stuff BT translated, the stats are apparently from the Early Character part. There are some spoilers in there if you go looking for it I think, those early character designs are p rough. Also Egil/Agil's design sure is... something. He looks vaguely similar to Lord Genome?

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Zandracon posted:

It pretty much looks like that's all from the Material Edition 2 stuff BT translated, the stats are apparently from the Early Character part. There are some spoilers in there if you go looking for it I think, those early character designs are p rough. Also Egil/Agil's design sure is... something. He looks vaguely similar to Lord Genome?
In the novels his face is always described as looking terrifying ("it can silence crying children"). The early design actually fits the description, but his actual design just looks like a regular guy to me.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I think the decided to go with 'This dude just doesn't belong around here.' as his gimmick after a while. Abec may have had a hard time drawing his original design.

(Honestly, I like his look.)

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I wish there was a sidestory about level 50, they keep mentioning how awesome the boss fight was, at least in the novel and that material edition.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Whether [Heathcliff's] name was a reference to "Wuthering Heights" or "Phantasy Star Online" is unknown."

Oh godamnit! That one was right under my nose too!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ConanThe3rd posted:

"Whether [Heathcliff's] name was a reference to "Wuthering Heights" or "Phantasy Star Online" is unknown."

Oh godamnit! That one was right under my nose too!

I didn't get it at first either, but that arc was after I had run out of interest in dodging dudes with negative magic scores. In a lot of little ways, the series is a love letter to old MMOs.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Demicol posted:

I wish there was a sidestory about level 50, they keep mentioning how awesome the boss fight was, at least in the novel and that material edition.
I'm betting it will happen eventually. The latest Material Edition sidestory, published in February, was set on floor 3 and will presumably continue through floor 8. Maybe in a decade every floor will be covered (novel) including 76-100 from the ALO version

e: two new translated parts of volume 10 ch 4 are up on baka-tsuki. Good stuff, I'm confident it'll get animated eventually.

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 29, 2012

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Ugh, I hate cliffhangers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MagicalDuck posted:

Ugh, I hate cliffhangers.

Me too,

I absolutely loved The design for The Skull Reaper. It looked more like it should be going 12 rounds with an Eva than dealing with some MMORPG putzes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hey Kirito, don't tell the head honcho of your guild that you're not a team player. It's a rather rude thing to say, even with their circumstances.

I can't recall when the moving-people-to-the-hospitals thing was mentioned in the LN. If it was this chapter, it is kind of jarring to mention it now than way earlier. Oh well.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Hey Kirito, don't tell the head honcho of your guild that you're not a team player. It's a rather rude thing to say, even with their circumstances.

Kirito's greatest malfunction is that he has a hard time imagining how people besides himself think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gearhead posted:

Kirito's greatest malfunction is that he has a hard time imagining how people besides himself think.

To be fair, it is somewhat acceptable for him to declare such a thing when it's a death game. Better to know now than find out later.

Course, he charging into the thick of things to save other people's lives. He's not a jerk.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

I can't recall when the moving-people-to-the-hospitals thing was mentioned in the LN. If it was this chapter, it is kind of jarring to mention it now than way earlier. Oh well.
In the novel, pretty sure it was mentioned at the very start in the speech Kayaba gave announcing the death game.

Once again the show covered more material than I expected. The boss design looks great as 3D CG. Not that everything in the show isn't technically 3D CG.

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 29, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, turns out there's actually a decent show hiding behind the horrible pacing. More anime shows need relationships that actually happen at some point other than the very last episode, if at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man, if this is the 75th floor boss I can't wait to see the 100th floor boss.

I'm hoping for a sword elemental.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, turns out there's actually a decent show hiding behind the horrible pacing. More anime shows need relationships that actually happen at some point other than the very last episode, if at all.

Asuna and Kirito's relationship is always interesting to watch. They aren't a normal couple, in such that any couple can be considered normal, but they help to keep each other sane.

A lot of people have bitched about the arc that's about to come up, (LN yammering), about how Asuna winds up a Damsel In Distress and so on. To me, Asuna never didn't give the impression that she just might be able to spring herself free. The more interesting thing to look at is what's driving Kirito during that. Who's in greater distress during all of what's coming?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gearhead posted:

Asuna and Kirito's relationship is always interesting to watch. They aren't a normal couple, in such that any couple can be considered normal, but they help to keep each other sane.

A lot of people have bitched about the arc that's about to come up, (LN yammering)

I was never too fond of it because of the stereotypewhere the girl needs the guy to save her. It still works out well enough and just goes to show how much those two years meant for them.

It's not bad but I can see why it can be off-putting for people when compared to the SAO arc.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

I was never too fond of it because of the stereotypewhere the girl needs the guy to save her. It still works out well enough and just goes to show how much those two years meant for them.

It's not bad but I can see why it can be off-putting for people when compared to the SAO arc.

I guess that I just pinged more off the idea that Kirito was the one who was actually in distress. He's about half way to coming completely apart at the seams by the time it's done. Only his duel with Lyfa seems to have grounded him long enough to see it through.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Sindai posted:

Man, if this is the 75th floor boss I can't wait to see the 100th floor boss.

I'm hoping for a sword elemental.

"This is an amandantine sword golem, all crafstmanship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of swords."

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

Didn't bother me at all. (novel)Her situation has nothing to do with her strength or ability, and she wouldn't have been saved had she just sat in her cage waiting for a guy to come along. Sinon in GGO, on the other hand, got kind of annoying with Kirito constantly needing to babysit her.

also, I too can't wait to see the 100th floor boss, or maybe the 99th. I wonder if the new company will make a new 100th floor boss or if they'll make a Heathcliff NPC

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 30, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gearhead posted:

I guess that I just pinged more off the idea that Kirito was the one who was actually in distress. He's about half way to coming completely apart at the seams by the time it's done. Only his duel with Lyfa seems to have grounded him long enough to see it through.
That makes sense, Kirito seemed 'bout ready to snap at the prospect of Asuna fighting in a no crystal zone.

Kirito strikes me as a very emotionally unstable individual who could have easily gone the way of Kayaba or Sugō and might have very well done so if SAO didn't happen first..

Towit; With great intelligence, comes great insanity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 30, 2012

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gearhead posted:

It definitely gets better once your expectations shift. It's mostly the initial Kirito and Asuna are split up and he has to rescue her that got me. They earned their happy ending, drat it. Of course, they go and earn it again.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Argas posted:

Well, he was basically press-ganged into the guild, being a team-player was never part of the deal.

I loved the walking fish boss. It reminded me of The Lurker Below in WoW. You had to fish him out of the water too.

And this episode made me like Heathcliff even more. I really wish the anime was actually about him. I mean, don't get me wrong, as far as anime protagonists go, Kirito is one of the best, but I'd rather see the story of a man trapped in an MMO who managed to create the top guild from the ground up and acts as the spearhead of the entire effort to free the players, tanking giant gently caress-off horrors without breaking a sweat, and all that while maintaining the knight-in-shining armor image because why the hell not?

In the meantime, Kirito spend his time in the game leveling alone, being emo as gently caress, helping individual people with their problems, not-having virtual sex with his girlfriend, and fishing. It was a good story, sure, but guys, Heathcliff :colbert:

Rexides fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 30, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Rexides posted:

It was a good story, sure, but guys, Heathcliff :colbert:

Hmm. I'm not so sure I'd find that interesting...

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
That seems like the kind of story that couldn't be done in an interesting way. Kirito is already pretty drat Gary Stu-ish even with his flaws; make him a guild leader and a knight in shining armor, and I really don't know how you'd get anyone to relate to him.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rexides posted:

Well, he was basically press-ganged into the guild, being a team-player was never part of the deal.

I get the general impression that Kirito doesn't particularly like our guildmaster Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Did I understand the most recent boss correctly? Once you engage him you can't leave in anyway so you either die or win right? I kind of feel like in that case they should have just ignored the boss and gone to grind a bunch of levels.

Based on all that talk about death I'm guessing Asuna is gunna die. But at the end when Kirito wakes up they will reveal that death in game just woke you up from the game, just no one was ever able to communicate that to the players. To have her die for real would be to dark for this show.

Also I really like how we are getting to see the main couple in their relationship. Most shows just have the couple hook up at the end. Its nice to see them be all lovey dovey.

Heathcliff's shield is pretty awesome looking.

Also the backgrounds in this show are very pretty. I want to have a house on a lake like that.

• Locked thread