Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have experience with the Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL? It fits all my criteria (backlit, cherry brown switches, USB ports, full num pad and windows keys) and it looks pretty solidly built.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vitari
Oct 12, 2010
Newegg is having a sale on the Rosewill mechanical keyboards if anyone was looking for one -- $64 with free shipping. Here is a link to the slickdeals post:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/80164/

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Goldmund posted:

Anyone have experience with the Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL? It fits all my criteria (backlit, cherry brown switches, USB ports, full num pad and windows keys) and it looks pretty solidly built.

Not sure if they are the same company or a rebrand or something but I have a Max Keyboard with Brown switches and that company has the same keyboard (Durdandal). If it's anything like the one I own (Nighthawk); you'll be very pleased.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

vitari posted:

Newegg is having a sale on the Rosewill mechanical keyboards if anyone was looking for one -- $64 with free shipping. Here is a link to the slickdeals post:

"This product cannot be shipped to IL, NC and NY." :argh:

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really wish there were more options for Topre keyboards that have numpads. I hate tenkeyless keyboards...
Damnit.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

vitari posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on CM keyboards vs. these? They are both the same price for the blues.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

DanManIt posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on CM keyboards vs. these? They are both the same price for the blues.

Haven't used either, but the CM with blues is going for $52 at the moment: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/80174/officemax.com-cooler-master-storm-quickfire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-w-cherry-blue-mx-switches

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been using a $5 Lite-On keyboard for about seven or eight years now (it seems the price went up to $7!) and was thinking of upgrading to a mechanical keyboard. To those who have made the change: is it worth it? To those who have had both the Lite-On and a mechanical: do you feel it's a significant upgrade?

I'm looking at the Filco Tenkeyless with cherry blue switches.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
I've been wanting to get a new mechanical keyboard. I do a lot of gaming and like typing fast. As excited as I am to make the switch, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices.

I was looking at the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard. They also have a Blackwidow Ultimate '2013' edition which for some reason is $10 more. I'm wondering if this keyboard is worth its price to begin with and if anyone knows the difference between the regular and the 2013 edition.

Here's a link to the amazon page http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/tech-data/B003ZJ5B4I

Edit: I should mention my price range is around $150 bucks.

Chronos13 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 20, 2012

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chronos13 posted:

I've been wanting to get a new mechanical keyboard. I do a lot of gaming and like typing fast. As excited as I am to make the switch, I feel a bit overwhelmed with all the choices.

I was looking at the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard. They also have a Blackwidow Ultimate '2013' edition which for some reason is $10 more. I'm wondering if this keyboard is worth its price to begin with and if anyone knows the difference between the regular and the 2013 edition.

Here's a link to the amazon page http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Ultimate-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/tech-data/B003ZJ5B4I

Edit: I should mention my price range is around $150 bucks.

BWU is basically the lowest tier mechanical keyboard you can get.

Look at Rosewill, Coolermaster, Ducky, DasKeyboard, Leopold.. Basically anything EXCEPT Razer.

It's got 2KRO, horrible QC issues, bad support, the list goes on...

The only redeeming qualities are the cheapness and wide availability...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That being said, if you get one you won't hate yourself and want to die. I had to buy locally but wanted to go mechanical which basically left me stuck with a Razer, and it feels fine.

Definitely look at other options first, but I don't feel especially screwed by my own purchase.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Any recommendations for a really small wireless keyboard, similar to one used in a HTPC? It doesn't need a trackpad. I just want a little keyboard kind of like you see on a slide-out phone keyboard.

The use will be for quick (two-thumb) typing of single words into a web dictionary during homework when the desk is piled with books and no room for regular keyboard.

Something like this that is known not to suck.

Edit: Or maybe this one FAVI Entertainment FE01-BL. Anyone used either?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 21, 2012

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tapedump posted:

Any recommendations for a really small wireless keyboard, similar to one used in a HTPC? It doesn't need a trackpad. I just want a little keyboard kind of like you see on a slide-out phone keyboard.

The use will be for quick (two-thumb) typing of single words into a web dictionary during homework when the desk is piled with books and no room for regular keyboard.

Something like this that is known not to suck.

Edit: Or maybe this one FAVI Entertainment FE01-BL. Anyone used either?

People tend to like the Lenovo and Logitech ones:
Lenovo
Logitech

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

neongrey posted:

That being said, if you get one you won't hate yourself and want to die. I had to buy locally but wanted to go mechanical which basically left me stuck with a Razer, and it feels fine.

Definitely look at other options first, but I don't feel especially screwed by my own purchase.

As a first time BWU keyboard owner, I felt the same thing. It's a dream to type on compared to any membrane keyboards. That being said, after owning a bunch of other boards, it is the lowest tier mechanical board I've used. LEDs would crap out, phantom keypresses and 2KRO killed me.

I'm typing on a cheaper CMSTORM Quickfire Rapid right now (They're like 50 bucks) and the quality is way better.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
I've encountered phantom keypresses on the "d" key of my Noppoo choc mini. I'm holding out hope it's a defective switch that's replaceable. Any insight?

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Look at Rosewill, Coolermaster, Ducky, DasKeyboard, Leopold.. Basically anything EXCEPT Razer.

Thanks for the response. I am now looking at this Rosewill keyboard. It's even $20 cheaper on Amazon

My only concern is that I'm reading a lot of negative reviews on newegg; The price sounds really good for a well-built red switch keyboard, but I'm hesitant to make the dive due to all the bad feedback. Any opinions on this buy?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
I've been lurking this thread for awhile, and I finally gave in a bought a mechanical. That 20% off newegg sale and the free speaker sealed the deal. I'm typing on a new Rosewill with browns, and I have to say this is fantastic. Thanks guys!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chronos13 posted:

Thanks for the response. I am now looking at this Rosewill keyboard. It's even $20 cheaper on Amazon

My only concern is that I'm reading a lot of negative reviews on newegg; The price sounds really good for a well-built red switch keyboard, but I'm hesitant to make the dive due to all the bad feedback. Any opinions on this buy?

I bought a Rosewill about a month ago. Most of the bad reviews are because of the loose-seated usb port, and that's definitely obvious on mine. It's not helped by the deavy-duty braided cables that are included, and moving the cable around puts more strain than a normal cable would. Really though if you're not wiggling that cable around it's not a problem. Other than that, the build quality of the keyboard is fantastic.

edit: You missed a big Rosewill sale just the other day though.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wa27 posted:

I bought a Rosewill about a month ago. Most of the bad reviews are because of the loose-seated usb port, and that's definitely obvious on mine. It's not helped by the deavy-duty braided cables that are included, and moving the cable around puts more strain than a normal cable would. Really though if you're not wiggling that cable around it's not a problem. Other than that, the build quality of the keyboard is fantastic.

edit: You missed a big Rosewill sale just the other day though.

Yep, I'm gonna agree. I'd choose to buy it from Amazon though, their CS is top notch. If you find a problem, chances are they'd refund you or send you a replacement (if it's sold through amazon, not a distributor).

Definitely let us know what you pick though!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

DrCuntmuffins posted:

As a first time BWU keyboard owner, I felt the same thing. It's a dream to type on compared to any membrane keyboards. That being said, after owning a bunch of other boards, it is the lowest tier mechanical board I've used. LEDs would crap out, phantom keypresses and 2KRO killed me.

Pretty much, I was on a Logitech solar keyboard before (the battery looked to be shot... it mysteriously recovered basically as soon as I bought another keyboard, which is fine I guess, I use it for my laptop now), and much as I marveled at the clickiness and not needing to reassemble a goddamn scissor switch again, out of the box the K key's LED was dead.

So it's a lukewarm endorsement at best, I just think it's worth saying that if it comes down to a BW/U versus something non-mechanical, it's a serious option. Just only under those circumstances.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Definitely let us know what you pick though!

I decided on the Rosewill with red switches! I'm really excited to get it; did it through Amazon like you said, should be here in a couple days. I'll be upgrading from the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard which has served me well but is literally falling apart due to less-than excellent build quality.

Thanks for feedback and helping me pick a board.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm torn between a Logitech G110 and Microsoft Sidewinder X4. The Logitech has many more features, but I wouldn't use a lot of them. Love the multi colored LEDs, and the volume roller. Sidewinder is nice because it has just the right features I'm looking for, and will fit in the keyboard tray of my desk (I think the Logitech is too long)

Any opinions?

invid
Dec 19, 2002
Does anybody knows if the Rosewill or Filco is compatible with Mac OS? I need the media keys and especially volume control to be functioning.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Filcos don't have any sort of extra keys.

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

invid posted:

Does anybody knows if the Rosewill or Filco is compatible with Mac OS? I need the media keys and especially volume control to be functioning.

As far as I've seen, neither have media keys.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

diesiel posted:

Im looking to replace my Logitech illuminated keyboard (Thin one).

I was looking at the Filco majestouch 2 with the brown switches.

How ergonomic is this board? I do a decent amount (70%) of typing/some programming and a little bit(30%) of gaming. I'm definitely a heavy PC user though and i'd like to avoid carpal tunnel

I have the original Majestouch with Cherry Browns and it's an excellent board.

Certainly no ergonomic issues (layout is fine, spacing is fine). Standard-size cylindrical key caps with a matte finish.

The biggest draw is obviously the switches -- so much nicer than membranes or scissors. You can (and should!) learn to type very lightly on them, activating the switches without bottoming out the keys. There will be a period of adjustment learning how to do this, but the reduction in fatigue and increase in speed is more than worth it.

If you're worried about/suffer from RSI, browns are probably the way to go switch-wise as they require less force to actuate than blues. Additionally, the tactile bump is less pronounced (but still quite noticeable), and they don't make the loud clicky sound. Avoid the linear-force switches.

I use mine primarily for composing and coding, with the occasional gaming (I loved it when I played Starcraft).

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Moecat posted:

Bought a CM Storm Quickfire (MX Blue version). It's supposed to be identical to the Filco internally. It has a nice Rubberized coating around the case, and some of the most godawful keycaps I've seen in a while.

Am I supposed to not be blown away by this thing? My first impressions 4-5 months ago were "Meh" and "god this thing is loud". I only really appreciate or even notice the tactile feedback when I slowly press one key and look for it.

Perhaps the MX Black would have been a better choice for me, not sure though.

Anyone else feel the same way? After reading a million and one different posts from various places about how these keyboards are supposed to be the pinnacle of typing, I hardly think so now. There's a dell keyboard in work that I'd say is probably nicer to type on than this thing.

What's your goal? I've never seen that particular board, but:

I bought a mechanical because I wanted to increase my typing endurance and reduce my risk for RSIs.

Flying away on Cherry Browns makes mashing on membranes feel comparatively awful, especially during typing marathons.

But, if you're not exactly doing a lot of typing, and you aren't trying to improve your typing, and you're just bottoming out the keys anyway -- yeah, it's basically going to feel like a "crisper" keyboard that's slightly more reliable. In which case, perhaps a $20 Dell is the better way to go for you.

"I don't get the hype about DSLRs, sure the pictures look nicer -- I guess, sometimes -- but it's big and has all these buttons I never use and I just don't think it's worth the inflated price. Heck, my iPhone takes better pictures!"

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Is there a decent wireless keyboard one can use for gaming and everyday typing? I don't mean any of the ones with screens and lights and fancy stuff flying all over them... I could do fine with just comfortable keys and only 1-3 special extra buttons on one. I just ask mainly because I've always heard they are all too slow / can't send many key presses / etc. I've been using the same keyboard for about 15 years now and as awesome as it is, it's just getting too worn down looking.

Edit: And I don't mean I need some super perfect you can play DDR at max level and achieve all the top scores on Super Meatboy level etc. gaming, I just mean one where a game can be played without going: "OH poo poo! My keyboard hosed me AGAIN!" :argh:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I've had problems with battery jankiness but so long as it's in a well-lit area and you turn it off when you turn the lights out, I do like the Logitech solar keyboard. I never had a problem gaming on it and it's light as hell.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I finally got around to playing some games on my Filco Majestouch 2 (with Browns) this weekend and gently caress, this thing is as nice for gaming as it is for typing. In a fast paced FPS it makes a real difference. I was expecting it to be a bit nicer, but not as good as it is. It just felt incredibly responsive and I was able to change direction much more quickly. The real stand-out difference was the space bar, which I guess must have been a wobbly piece of crap on my old board. Jumps felt really tight and I noticed I was automatically just very lightly tapping it with my thumb rather than hammering away at it.

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 1, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
If this is the wrong place to ask about keyboard issues, please correct me. I started having issues a few days ago with my A key becoming stuck, and it has gotten worse each day. At first I thought the key had just become loose, or had something under it, but I've taken the key off and cleaned every speck of dust from underneath, and even with the key still physically removed, it is still happening. I've inspected it as thoroughly as I can and can't detect any physical damage. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but this started when I replaced the internal HDD of my laptop and did a fresh install of Windows. It's now just "pressing" itself sometimes, nd literlly just now my lptop stopped reding the key t ll when previously it ws reding even slightly brushing the key s severl keystrokes, wht the hell.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 1, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

thehumandignity posted:

If this is the wrong place to ask about keyboard issues, please correct me. I started having issues a few days ago with my A key becoming stuck, and it has gotten worse each day. At first I thought the key had just become loose, or had something under it, but I've taken the key off and cleaned every speck of dust from underneath, and even with the key still physically removed, it is still happening. I've inspected it as thoroughly as I can and can't detect any physical damage. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but this started when I replaced the internal HDD of my laptop and did a fresh install of Windows. It's now just "pressing" itself sometimes, nd literlly just now my lptop stopped reding the key t ll when previously it ws reding even slightly brushing the key s severl keystrokes, wht the hell.

Laptop keyboards are connected to the motherboard inside of the laptop with a little ribbon cable. Either yours has some mechanical failure under the A key, or the cable is a little loose or has twisted slightly in the connector. Laptops are a pain in the rear end to take apart, so it's a good idea to find a guide online on how to get at your laptop keyboard online and try to reseat the little cable. If reseating it doesn't fix it, you could replace the keyboard with one for that model from ebay or the manufacturer (the manufacturer is a lot more expensive).

If you don't feel like poking around inside the laptop, a repair place can probably do all of this. If it's still under warranty you could also see if the manufacturer will repair it.

As a work around you could hook up a USB keyboard and use that until you can fix it, though that won't stop spontaneous keys from being hit, that sounds like something is shorting out (it didn't get any water in it did it?)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's not common, but shorts can also be caused by stray conductive debris or even a misplaced tiny screw.

What kind of keyboard is it? It might just be that the rubber part of the switch is falling apart, too.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Well I posted about getting a rosewill recently and i'm really regretting it now. While I like the keyboard itself, the loving x key straight up doesn't work upon arrival (I literally asked a friend on instant messaging to type 'x' so i could copy and paste it for the sake of this post cause mine is that broken) I'm in a rock and a hard place because my options are to either A) deal with the broken key x key (which i do use quite often in spite of it being a more obscure letter) or B) have to ship it back and wait even longer to get a new keyboard after already waiting 2 weeks for it to ship.

Feels pretty lovely to spend $80+ on a keyboard to be broken on arrival.

Edit: Can someone recommend me another keyboard? I'm so frustrated with Rosewill right now that I never want to order anything from them again. I have a budget of $150+ and want a 100% reliable amazing keyboard with red switches preferably. Thanks for any feedback.

Chronos13 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 2, 2012

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Chronos13 posted:

Well I posted about getting a rosewill recently and i'm really regretting it now. While I like the keyboard itself, the loving x key straight up doesn't work upon arrival (I literally asked a friend on instant messaging to type 'x' so i could copy and paste it for the sake of this post cause mine is that broken) I'm in a rock and a hard place because my options are to either A) deal with the broken key x key (which i do use quite often in spite of it being a more obscure letter) or B) have to ship it back and wait even longer to get a new keyboard after already waiting 2 weeks for it to ship.

Edit: Can someone recommend me another keyboard? I'm so frustrated with Rosewill right now that I never want to order anything from them again. I have a budget of $150+ and want a 100% reliable amazing keyboard with red switches preferably. Thanks for any feedback.

poo poo happens and stuff breaks even with the best of companies. Why would you even consider not sending it back?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

invid posted:

You can use USB Overdrive to get basically any kind of special keys to do what you want.

Worked on my Dell Multimedia, and again on my Corsair K90.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Chronos13 posted:

It's probably worth sending it back for a replacement but if you're that angry at Rosewill and have that kind of budget you might want to check out a WASD semi-custom.

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

poo poo happens and stuff breaks even with the best of companies. Why would you even consider not sending it back?

Why? Because my school term obligates me to have a fully functional keyboard pretty much 24/7 unless I want to travel 30 minutes + to the school campus to use keyboards that work.

Of course I'm going to ship it back. I also understand that poo poo happens; but after having a 100% satisfaction experience with over 50+ orders from other companies, I really see no reason to go back to Rosewill considering that it hosed up the very first order of any product I've ever placed with them. I simply want to let people know my experience with my first mechanical keyboard purchase and hopefully get a recommendation from someone who's had some luck with a reputable company.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Chronos13 posted:

Why? Because my school term obligates me to have a fully functional keyboard pretty much 24/7 unless I want to travel 30 minutes + to the school campus to use keyboards that work.

Of course I'm going to ship it back. I also understand that poo poo happens; but after having a 100% satisfaction experience with over 50+ orders from other companies, I really see no reason to go back to Rosewill considering that it hosed up the very first order of any product I've ever placed with them. I simply want to let people know my experience with my first mechanical keyboard purchase and hopefully get a recommendation from someone who's had some luck with a reputable company.

poo poo happens. My first quick fire rapid, the left alt key was broken. I use the alt-space combo, and other combos in my text editor of choice, so I RMAd it. New one is perfectly fine.

I think you're having a large overreaction. Going to be without a keyboard? Head down to <local retailer like Walmart or target or Fred Meyer here>, pick up a cheap as hell Belkin or store brand for 5-10$, keep it as an emergency spare afterwards. Because poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chronos13 posted:

Err what happened to your previous keyboard?

Also your really personal anger at getting a defective product is kind of weird and irrational.

• Locked thread