Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Let's get a canal from Waterbridge to Fairport, following that fancy road.

That's sure to bring more traffic through Fairport, though Millfort's none too happy about the change.

nielsm posted:

Build a bridge across the big river just north-east of Middleport, then a canal starting west of Middleport and shortcutting the big bend the city has been built in. That should allow Middleport better access to the large cleared area east of the river, while still allowing Hartshire to keep port.

(Pretend the new bridge blinks, too)

Volmarias posted:

Let's also try to dredge that stream from Mutnap to killingham to opiantic so that its navigable. If we can't do that, a canal following along instead.

Volmarias posted:

A road between middleport and waterbridge will be sure to stimulate commerce.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Build a canal between Boltic and Opiantic for the short section that's not currently marked as navigable.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

mamosodiumku posted:

Build a canal between Boltic and Opiantic for the short section that's not currently marked as navigable.

A little dredging did the trick - no need for a full canal! The water level is pretty low, but that's ok, the fish didn't need it anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Why not make a bypass canal to restore navigability above Hartshire? Any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Build a canal from the river just west of Hartshire up to that lake, then on to the river near Winton. This should open up river trade with Summerfield (and Winton) for those sweet sweet pelts and timbers.

edit: beaten!

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
I propose a dam on the southern fork of the Boltic Creek to form the basis of a future canal linking the Fukov directly with Opiantic along that thick contour line. We'll make thousands!

The name of the reservoir will be Terror Lake after farmers in the area were massacred by drug-crazed savages in colonial times (The legend has been passed down by a pre-industrial version of the DARE program.)

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 29, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

kefkafloyd posted:

Why not make a bypass canal to restore navigability above Hartshire? Any reason why this would be a bad idea?

heythisguyhere posted:

Build a canal from the river just west of Hartshire up to that lake, then on to the river near Winton. This should open up river trade with Summerfield (and Winton) for those sweet sweet pelts and timbers.

edit: beaten!

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

I propose a dam on the southern fork of the Boltic Creek to form the basis of a future canal linking the Fukov directly with Opiantic along that thick contour line. We'll make thousands!

The name of the reservoir will be Terror Lake after farmers in the area were massacred by drug-crazed savages in colonial times (The legend has been passed down by a pre-industrial version of the DARE program.)

Are you suuuuure you want to do that? :)

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
We should a low bridge over the river at Mutnap and force shipping from Winchester to come by road and use port facilities in Mutnap. Just to be a jerk, I mean, "Captain of Industry"

I'd also like to build an express road between Rockington and Norham and start upgrading the Indian roads running a long the river from there, right into Winchester (Since they'll need to use that road to deliver goods). A bridge in Norham if it doesn't block water traffic, a ferry if it will. Same thing at Opiantic if it can. This area seems underdeveloped and if that whole river is navigable then it seems ripe for exploitation.

Opals25 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 29, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

Are you suuuuure you want to do that? :)

I pretend filibuster that plan :colbert:

Cichlidae, how do you plan on dealing with "players" with ideas that can screw up the state? Or, planning on maximum realism, do you just plan to let every bad idea through?

Also, sweeten up Winton by making sure that we have an upgraded road from our fair capital Hartshire up to and beyond Winton, up to our state border.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

- The turnpikes between Boltic and Middleport, and between Mutnap and Hartshire are breaking even, if barely, but future prospects look good because of the region's growth.

All right, my turnpike hasn't gone bankrupt! :woop:

Here are the projects I'll be proposing for this turn, in order: a Boltic-New Dublin turnpike, a canal running between the Fukov and Waterbridge, and a turnpike between Grand Formage's western trunk and the crossroads between Hartshire and Middleport.

The road between Boltic and New Dublin should get highest priority of these three projects. Boltic is a fast-growing industrial town, and New Dublin has the best port in the western half of the state. Furthermore, it gives a better connection between New Dublin and the capitol, and construction costs should be a fraction of what they were for my previous turnpike.

A canal running between the Fukov and Waterbridge would do wonders for the eastern half of the state, and certainly for Waterbridge itself. The existing waterways would need some work done to make them navigable, of course, but one important issue is that of the routing on the eastern end. Building it out to Waterbridge would give it lots of traffic, and thus money, but there may not be enough money available to build it as such. An alternate route, through a deepened stream to the river that flows just west of Millfort, would get far less river traffic and may not break even in the end. Would there be enough investors interested in this, to build it as intended, or do I have to be cheap?

Finally, a quick turnpike between Hartshire and Boltic, building off of the Middleport-Opiantic turnpike. It would shave some time off of the trip between the capitol and the western towns, but this area has already seen one turnpike go broke. Additionally, there's a perfectly serviceable Indian road running between the two cities. Thus, while it would be nice to have modern, comfortable travel (:laugh:) along this route, it gets the lowest priority.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

For curiosity's sake, why avoid that lake?

Volmarias posted:

Cichlidae, how do you plan on dealing with "players" with ideas that can screw up the state? Or, planning on maximum realism, do you just plan to let every bad idea through?

I think it's going to be a lesson in design by committee w/ lack of unified foresight, I think. Maybe that's even the point?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It only has to make one road crossing.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Opals25 posted:

We should a low bridge over the river at Mutnap and force shipping from Winchester to come by road and use port facilities in Mutnap. Just to be a jerk, I mean, "Captain of Industry"

But that'll just cause them to ship to Summerfield and go down the BFR, now that you've made it navigable.

Opals25 posted:

I'd also like to build an express road between Rockington and Norham and start upgrading the Indian roads running a long the river from there, right into Winchester (Since they'll need to use that road to deliver goods). A bridge in Norham if it doesn't block water traffic, a ferry if it will. Same thing at Opiantic if it can. This area seems underdeveloped and if that whole river is navigable then it seems ripe for exploitation.

You manage to upgrade the roads up to Killingham (with a ferry at Norham) before going completely bankrupt. That's ok, though; your labors won't go to waste.

Volmarias posted:

I pretend filibuster that plan :colbert:

If there's controversy about it, I'll wait to make a decision. You can bet it'll be funny in the end.

Volmarias posted:

Also, sweeten up Winton by making sure that we have an upgraded road from our fair capital Hartshire up to and beyond Winton, up to our state border.

Lotteries in Winton raise plenty of cash for this endeavor.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Cichlidae posted:

But that'll just cause them to ship to Summerfield and go down the BFR, now that you've made it navigable.

I guess it depends on where the population centers are in Winchester? Though, this is your game and I'll take you word on that being the likely scenario and forgo the bridge.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

It's almost as if the legitimate businessmen who just so happened to have bought up all the cheap land around Winton (forcing off the original owners as necessary) somehow knew where the road AND canal were going to go...

Is it a good idea to tax the hell out of river traffic from Summerfield? These canals aren't cheap.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Opals25 posted:

I guess it depends on where the population centers are in Winchester? Though, this is your game and I'll take you word on that being the likely scenario and forgo the bridge.

Just trying to help :) Realistically, Winchester businesses would get extremely pissed off at you and run you bankrupt / tear down the bridge. Sometimes the invisible hand of the free market serves you up a pimp-slap. You can still do it if you want, it's just not a smart move to piss off your customers.

Hedera Helix posted:

All right, my turnpike hasn't gone bankrupt! :woop:

Here are the projects I'll be proposing for this turn, in order: a Boltic-New Dublin turnpike, a canal running between the Fukov and Waterbridge, and a turnpike between Grand Formage's western trunk and the crossroads between Hartshire and Middleport.

The road between Boltic and New Dublin should get highest priority of these three projects. Boltic is a fast-growing industrial town, and New Dublin has the best port in the western half of the state. Furthermore, it gives a better connection between New Dublin and the capitol, and construction costs should be a fraction of what they were for my previous turnpike.

A canal running between the Fukov and Waterbridge would do wonders for the eastern half of the state, and certainly for Waterbridge itself. The existing waterways would need some work done to make them navigable, of course, but one important issue is that of the routing on the eastern end. Building it out to Waterbridge would give it lots of traffic, and thus money, but there may not be enough money available to build it as such. An alternate route, through a deepened stream to the river that flows just west of Millfort, would get far less river traffic and may not break even in the end. Would there be enough investors interested in this, to build it as intended, or do I have to be cheap?

Finally, a quick turnpike between Hartshire and Boltic, building off of the Middleport-Opiantic turnpike. It would shave some time off of the trip between the capitol and the western towns, but this area has already seen one turnpike go broke. Additionally, there's a perfectly serviceable Indian road running between the two cities. Thus, while it would be nice to have modern, comfortable travel (:laugh:) along this route, it gets the lowest priority.

ROAD_1_ENGAGE

ROAD_2_ENGAGE

CANAL_1_ENGAGE

ERROR
ERROR
ABORT

...well, someone hosed up. Good thing there wasn't a city downstream, or you'd have been tarred and feathered.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 29, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

heythisguyhere posted:

It's almost as if the legitimate businessmen who just so happened to have bought up all the cheap land around Winton (forcing off the original owners as necessary) somehow knew where the road AND canal were going to go...

Is it a good idea to tax the hell out of river traffic from Summerfield? These canals aren't cheap.

I don't have enough of a historical perspective about inter-state shipping taxes. The decision, though, is definitely a state government thing, so it would have to be decided by a majority of the population. "Population," in this case, being the white male landed elite.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Cichlidae posted:

CANAL_1_ENGAGE

ERROR
ERROR
ABORT

...well, someone hosed up. Good thing there wasn't a city downstream, or you'd have been tarred and feathered.

Aw, man. Hopefully this was able to be fixed...

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Would a canal linking Boltic and New Dublin make money? Feels like ship traffic can take the NewDublin-Opiantic-Boltic route already. Assuming water freight in the 1800s is like it is now, extra time/distance will not add much to transport costs.

Also, I propose the addition of a scale bar to the maps for easier reference :D

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

Aw, man. Hopefully this was able to be fixed...

Yeah, once the lake drained a few feet, things were back to normal. The canal's not going to work out, though.

mamosodiumku posted:

Would a canal linking Boltic and New Dublin make money? Feels like ship traffic can take the NewDublin-Opiantic-Boltic route already. Assuming water freight in the 1800s is like it is now, extra time/distance will not add much to transport costs.

Also, I propose the addition of a scale bar to the maps for easier reference :D

I highly doubt that would be profitable, if only because Boltic is still very small.

As for the scale, hmm... shouldn't be too much trouble. Just don't go nuts sperging out over the numbers.

Edit: Any last additions before we move to the next decade?

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 30, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Development along the Fukov is changing the watershed. Increased Spring runoff is going to cause silting problems at river turns and at the Sanctum mouth. How will my steamboats reach Winton? :argh:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

How will my steamboats reach Winton? :argh:

Get some natives, get some rope...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Development along the Fukov is changing the watershed. Increased Spring runoff is going to cause silting problems at river turns and at the Sanctum mouth. How will my steamboats reach Winton? :argh:

This is affecting production!

Cichlidae, I have more road proposals if we've got the time and cash.

Please note: For all canals, have an engineer consult the elevation maps and water tables for feasibility and allow them to veto any ideas that will cause flooding.

Improve the roads going out of state both North and East of Waterbridge.

Improve the road from Waterbridge to E. Hartshire

Where the Fukov bends to the west between Sanctum and Middleport, create a canal to Boltic. Have it leaning south around that mountain in the way so as to save costs, and run to Boltic's tributary just to the east of it. Improve that tributary all the way into and just past Boltic so that the whole thing is navigable to Opiantic.

Improve the road running along the coast of our state, if it isn't already (I can't tell from the map).

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

CANAL_1_ENGAGE

ERROR
ERROR
ABORT

Could this be fixed/avoided with locks?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dick Trauma posted:

You should see all the silt coming from the mountains far to the North! Seems like the Fukov is running brown all the time. The farmers love it, but anyone shipping cargo has to chip in for the annual dredging to keep the channels open. Dredging, at this point, is a couple barges with big buckets on a rope. But hey, it's not like labor is sparse!

Volmarias posted:

This is affecting production!

Cichlidae, I have more road proposals if we've got the time and cash.

Please note: For all canals, have an engineer consult the elevation maps and water tables for feasibility and allow them to veto any ideas that will cause flooding.

Sure, unless the person building it is really rich. Also, keep in mind geotechnical and environmental engineering are absolutely in their infancy at this stage. Consider your legislation approved!

Volmarias posted:

Improve the roads going out of state both North and East of Waterbridge.

Volmarias posted:

Improve the road from Waterbridge to E. Hartshire

Unfortunately, this is expensive, and you used your public road money on the last two roads. Might be better to build a toll road away from the original alignment, because of how circuitous it is.

Volmarias posted:

Where the Fukov bends to the west between Sanctum and Middleport, create a canal to Boltic. Have it leaning south around that mountain in the way so as to save costs, and run to Boltic's tributary just to the east of it. Improve that tributary all the way into and just past Boltic so that the whole thing is navigable to Opiantic.

Man, if environmentalists existed, they would be PISSED. They're not, though, and the industrialists are more than willing to help out by digging a couple artificial lakes to help store water.

This will almost certainly bring in a TON of cash, especially in the stormy season, when ship traffic won't take the treacherous coastal route.

Volmarias posted:

Improve the road running along the coast of our state, if it isn't already (I can't tell from the map).

Parts of it are, parts aren't. Fortunately for you, though, the Federal Government has elected to finance a Post Road, improved between New Cork, New Sanctum, Salvation, and the large city of Bosham, along the coast. It offers the turnpike owners a choice: either turn over their turnpikes (for an ample sum), or face competition from the upgraded, and toll-free, Post Road. Nearly all of them choose to sell, except for the most heavily-traveled and direct, which aim to turn a profit regardless.

heythisguyhere posted:

Could this be fixed/avoided with locks?

Yes! The problem wasn't so much an engineering one, but that the designer elected to deepen/widen the existing channel, through rapids, into a lake, rather than build a parallel canal. There is no permanent damage, at least.

THAT'S IT FOR 1830! NEW MAPS TO FOLLOW

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cichlidae posted:

THAT'S IT FOR 1830! NEW MAPS TO FOLLOW

Time to start putting up telegraph lines along the roads! :choco:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

Sure, unless the person building it is really rich. Also, keep in mind geotechnical and environmental engineering are absolutely in their infancy at this stage. Consider your legislation approved!

I'm hoping that we can basically mandate sanity checks on this stuff, in the form of you saying "Hey, are you REALLY SURE you want to flood half the state with this?"

We don't know what form these little streams are taking; if we'd known that there was a waterfall like RIGHT THERE there would probably have re-thought this.

quote:

Man, if environmentalists existed, they would be PISSED. They're not, though, and the industrialists are more than willing to help out by digging a couple artificial lakes to help store water.

This will almost certainly bring in a TON of cash, especially in the stormy season, when ship traffic won't take the treacherous coastal route.

:woop:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, I request to have Pittstown, or at worst, Balkany in the upper right corner of the map, since that's where the road from Waterbridge goes to. :v:

When will rail transportation start being relevant in the game? Shouldn't the 1840s bring us at least our first experimental rail connection? Because Nutmeg needs to be on the forefront of transportation.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dick Trauma posted:

Time to start putting up telegraph lines along the roads! :choco:

Haha, I'm not going to make you guys do telecom. That's all being taken care of by those pesky utility companies. Of course, you may have to deal with the results of some of their stupid decisions much later...

Volmarias posted:

I'm hoping that we can basically mandate sanity checks on this stuff, in the form of you saying "Hey, are you REALLY SURE you want to flood half the state with this?"

We don't know what form these little streams are taking; if we'd known that there was a waterfall like RIGHT THERE there would probably have re-thought this.

:woop:

I'll try to do that. The era of canal building is over, at least, so you won't get much of a chance to severely gently caress things up anymore. But keep in mind, historically, there is a very good precedent for careless people severely loving things up!

kefkafloyd posted:

Also, I request to have Pittstown, or at worst, Balkany in the upper right corner of the map, since that's where the road from Waterbridge goes to. :v:

When will rail transportation start being relevant in the game? Shouldn't the 1840s bring us at least our first experimental rail connection? Because Nutmeg needs to be on the forefront of transportation.

1840, bud, and it can only go UP, UP, UP!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Welcome to 1840!

It's been a good decade; your population's gone up by about 30 percent since we last laid eyes on Nutmeg. Most of that gain has been, believe it or not, in industrial cities like Waterbridge and Opiantic. New Sanctum is as large as ever, and has attracted some large mills, as have Fairport and Hartshire (which is now the nation's #1 arms producer). Boltic has nearly tripled in size, thanks mainly to excellent connections with the rest of the state. Even Winton, which looked so tiny in 1830, has nearly doubled in size.

Let's have a look, shall we?

See how we've tamed that savage woodland into nice productive farms? See how we force the rivers to run at our command? Truly, we live in modern times!

And cities! We've got four more towns that graduated into cities. Three of which are essentially milltowns, using the Lowell model.

CHENCHESTER is a mill town run by the Chen family, churning out wonderful silk and other fabric products by the thousand.
OLIVER is a high-class city, run and inhabited by the families that control trade in Hartshire and Middleport. It has no industry - it's just a money sink for the rich and the wannabe rich.
NEW HARTSHIRE is a mill town near the border, relying on hydro power to produce high quality wooden goods.
FARMINGHAM is the third mill town, using the river to help it make metal bits and powder for Hartshire's arms manufacturers.

Speaking of those rivers:

So, how are those canals doing?

The Middleport Cutoff, by necessity, now carries the entirety of traffic that wishes to pass through the city. The western portion of Middleport - which is already trying to set itself aside as a separate town - is raking in cash.

The Waterbridge-Fairport Canal, on the other hand, isn't looking great. Seems ships would rather take the extra 20km and go the shore-river route under full sail. There's even a new kind of ship that runs on steam instead of wind, and they're especially adept at fighting the currents.

The Opiantic-Big Fukov Canal is experiencing some success, mostly in the late Summer, during storm season. Unfortunately, in Winter, when runoff isn't as steady and the land freezes, it's mostly inoperable.

And the roads?

Both bridges over the BFR are still getting knocked out periodically, but they're being rebuilt stronger each time, now out of cast iron instead of wood. At some point, we may even be able to build them high enough to allow ship traffic.

There was a large hurricane in 1847. This knocked out all of the coastal bridges and caused some mudslides southwest of Bridgefield, but it only took a few months to repair.

Those two turnpikes that refused to sell to the Post Road? They're already bankrupt, and can now be traveled free of charge. The only exception is the bridge just east of Fairport, which still carries a toll.

The Middleport-Farmingham pike is rather profitable. The new pike running southwest from Oliver isn't doing as well. The Rockington-Norham pike is making a good deal of cash, thanks to Opiantic's increased regional standing. The Boltic-New Dublin turnpike is also doing well, as many use it as a shortcut into Hartshire from points West.

What now?

The IRON HORSE has arrived! Though dirty, noisy, and expensive, railroads are today's hot new technology. They're much, much faster than carriages and water-borne shipping, and faster means cheaper. Some people are even talking about putting rail lines in cities to serve passenger traffic. That would certainly revolutionize things, wouldn't it?

Today's rail lines can climb only modest slopes, and any bridges you build will block navigability upstream (unless they're over a canal). You show me where they go, I lay them out. Keep in mind, they'll need to start and end somewhere useful. Also keep in mind, if they cross someone else's existing rail line, well, you'll need to get that person's permission (probably not gonna happen). Corruption starts to become a thing, too, so you may find a city unwilling to allow you access to their train stations.

Because of the competitive nature of this setup, everyone is allowed to build only one rail line this decade. Nothing huge, either; 50 km (30 miles) max, which is the height of the state, North-South. (Sorry, I forgot to put in the scale, but you can use that for reference!)

You can still build canals, roads, and bridges, of course. And light rail systems will be built in most of the cities automatically at the end of the decade, so don't worry about that.

How about the PSD?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFYkVuUnVRNy11TGM

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Now is the point where we need to become true captains of industry and steal everyone else's business. Let's solve the BFR navigability problem by building a railroad between New Sanctum and East Hartshire on the east side of the river, and get into downtown Hartshire by building another bridge alongside the road bridge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Obviously, it is our patriotic duty to help with the arms production in Hartshire. Therefor, I propose the Hartshire & Fairport Line. The line begins in the east of Fairport following the road up to and through Waterbridge, crossing the river and continuing to Farmingham, and continuing to Hartshire. If it's possible, we'll bridge the BFR and go into Hartshire proper, but if that won't work we'll terminate in E. Hartshire. Obviously, don't block navigability below the canal in Hartshire.

Edit:
Also, dredge that little spot just south of Winton that prevents navigability (is this a mistake?), and please dredge a canal from Hartshire to Chenchester.

Double Captain Of Industry Edit:
Also, improve the road from Green to Waterbridge.

Triple Edit:
If I Barely Gnu Her agrees, lets share that bridge going over the river. Otherwise, I'll just route north of him and build another bridge in parallel.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 30, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Hartshire West-Fukov Railroad (HWFR) begins in Western Hartshire, a bit east of the canal, down by the river so it has direct harbor access. It goes north, east of the big lake, and when it reaches the river again, follows it on the west through Winton. From there it continues north along the river (shorting bends as reasonable), into Winchester.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

i barely GNU her! posted:

Now is the point where we need to become true captains of industry and steal everyone else's business. Let's solve the BFR navigability problem by building a railroad between New Sanctum and East Hartshire on the east side of the river, and get into downtown Hartshire by building another bridge alongside the road bridge.

Volmarias posted:

Obviously, it is our patriotic duty to help with the arms production in Hartshire. Therefor, I propose the Hartshire & Fairport Line. The line begins in the east of Fairport following the road up to and through Waterbridge, crossing the river and continuing to Farmingham, and continuing to Hartshire. If it's possible, we'll bridge the BFR and go into Hartshire proper, but if that won't work we'll terminate in E. Hartshire.

You two will have to come to an agreement about whether GNU will allow trackage rights over his bridge into Hartshire. Of course, you could always build your own bridge just upstream. Until then:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

You two will have to come to an agreement about whether GNU will allow trackage rights over his bridge into Hartshire. Of course, you could always build your own bridge just upstream. Until then:

See the triple edit above; as long as I Barely Gnu Her is fine with sharing the bridge and the terminal, so am I. Consider it synergy! Otherwise, route north, as we both mentioned.

Edit: Also, what's with the funky curvy route? Is it because direct is too steep?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 30, 2012

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nielsm posted:

The Hartshire West-Fukov Railroad (HWFR) begins in Western Hartshire, a bit east of the canal, down by the river so it has direct harbor access. It goes north, east of the big lake, and when it reaches the river again, follows it on the west through Winton. From there it continues north along the river (shorting bends as reasonable), into Winchester.

The Big Fukov River doesn't go into Winchester; were you thinking of Summerfield, or do you want me to build the railroad northwest within the confines of the state?

Volmarias posted:

See the triple edit above; as long as I Barely Gnu Her is fine with sharing the bridge and the terminal, so am I. Consider it synergy! Otherwise, route north, as we both mentioned.

Well, clearly I have to wait for him to approve before I do anything :P

That non-navigable spot south of Winton is some rapids and shallow rocks in the river. Don't think you'd be able to do anything about it, other than build a canal (which is already there).

Dredging from Hartshire to Chenchester is going to take a TON of cash, since the river is very shallow for the last few miles. You're much better off running a railroad up there, anyway.

I'll still build it at the end of the decade if nobody else objects and you remind me, though.

Edit: You and your edits! The curves are necessary because of the elevation gain. Still much, much faster than roads.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our interstate transit is sorely lacking. Let's extend a canal from Waterbridge to New Cork, and improve the roads from Hartshire to Waterbridge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

The Big Fukov River doesn't go into WinDredging from Hartshire to Chenchester is going to take a TON of cash, since the river is very shallow for the last few miles. You're much better off running a railroad up there, anyway.

OK. I can only build one railroad, and I've done gone and built it already.

quote:

I'll still build it at the end of the decade if nobody else objects and you remind me, though.

That's fine. If no one else builds a railroad there, I'll remind you.

Also,

quote:

Double Captain Of Industry Edit:
Also, improve the road from Green to Waterbridge.

Is this happening?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I would like to build a railroad from New Dublin, through Norham, Opiantic, and Killingham to Salvation, because clearly we need to better connect Opiantic and Salvation. However it seems like it would rely on building small bypass canals at river crossings in Opiantic and Killingham to be able to build it along the east side of the river and actually travel through the cities. At least until we can build real bridges. The other option would, I suppose, be to build on the west side of the river and ferry goods across at each stop.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

The Big Fukov River doesn't go into Winchester; were you thinking of Summerfield, or do you want me to build the railroad northwest within the confines of the state?

Doesn't the Fukov form the border between Summerfield and Winchester? Well, I intend to let the railroad stay west of the river, so if it can't follow it fully into Winchester, it should just depart from the river and continue to the next larger destination there.

Top-secret expansion plans for HWFR for when the technology matures: (SECRET BUSINESS PLANS COMPETITORS DO NOT READ) Branch just south of the lake north of Hartshire, going west mostly following the river (north of it), to Chenchester and Mutnap.