Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have nothing to worry about, those are all awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

*Sweet night shots*

:drat:

That Mt Robson shot is gorgeous.
The milky way over the wedge has startrails.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Tumblr

More from the other night that I finally got around to. I found the LMC! But god, white balance at night is hard, I mean the road markings are white but the sky is so red, not sure what I'm doing that's making it so.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 27, 2012

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Trambopaline posted:

Tumblr

More from the other night that I finally got around to. I found the LMC! But god, white balance at night is hard, I mean the road markings are white but the sky is so red, not sure what I'm doing that's making it so.
That looks brilliant! You can always just cheat and desaturate/brighten the lines.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Photos from telescope cafe.
It was very cloudy but between them I got some great shots of the moon and saw Saturn and four of her moons.

Albumn on Picasa including Saturn and four moons.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 4, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wow, the pictures of Saturn and its moons are really cool. There's something pretty magical about being able to take detailed pictures of another planet.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

I really like my tiny little Hasselblad. It's so cute. It does not get women. But it's still cute! It looks like I might be going out into the mines in Western Australia. I was originally planning to go to the Arctic Circle in Russia but I got bored and came home to Australia, so my next plan is star and lightning shots in northern Australia.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
^^ Love those.

A frame from a timelapse I'm doing.

Bus stop. by Clwn, on Flickr

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
Tried shooting stars for the first time last night.

Big dipper

Otava by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

milky way

Linnunrata by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

and some star trails

Star trails by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

I should have included some foreground objects to that star trail photo. I don't really know why i didn't. In all of my test photos i had something, but at the last minute i changed the composition.

Rovasti fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 17, 2012

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

There is something that attracts me to faint nebulae that I have no business shooting with my equipment. I spent ~7 hours shooting last night and these pics are still noisy (and low res) as hell.

http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h4331f6fc#h4331f6fc
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h4332484e#h4332484e

Still, I'm very happy with these.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 17, 2012

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
I wanted to hve a play with mosaics within Pixinsight (astro image processing software I use). So I took three frames of Andromeda to have a go with.

The Andromeda Galaxy - M31 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Each frame composed of 21x180 captures. Getting the background light levels matched between then is pretty tricky.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I can't compete with Hasselblads and the universe.

I'm going to put down the camera for a bit after September. I'm turning into a photo saddo.

City Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge, City Hall Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Towards The Shard. by Clwn, on Flickr

Went a bit too far on the HDR with number 5. Possibly should have done HDR with number 4. Pushing the exposure has hosed up my sky. I need to practice more!

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Winter = stars!

262/366 - The Saucepan over Snaefellsjokull by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone done any long exposure where they light up something on the ground briefly? I was thinking about trying to take a long exposure of the sky and briefly lighting a cactus in the foreground. Just looking for any tips or suggestions.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
"In 0.5 miles, arrive at 29.501395,-96.129905."

This is my second attempt at taking pictures of stars. Finding a place with decent levels of light pollution is pretty tedious though.

Lediur fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 19, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone done any long exposure where they light up something on the ground briefly? I was thinking about trying to take a long exposure of the sky and briefly lighting a cactus in the foreground. Just looking for any tips or suggestions.

This is one of my shots that instantly came to mind. Not quite what you are trying to do, but similar. EXIF should be attached. I used an LED headlamp and ran across the frame. I did play with white balance too.

IMG_5069 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah, I've done it several times. Here's an example I happen to have uploaded from last year. I used an LED flashlight I happened to have in the car:

It's pretty fun to do.. and it helps keep you occupied. You tend to sit around for long periods when shooting at night, and manning a flashlight helps the time pass. :v:

As for technique, just experiment. It doesn't take long to figure out how much is too much and how little is too little.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Falco posted:

This is one of my shots that instantly came to mind. Not quite what you are trying to do, but similar. EXIF should be attached. I used an LED headlamp and ran across the frame. I did play with white balance too.

xzzy posted:

It's pretty fun to do.. and it helps keep you occupied. You tend to sit around for long periods when shooting at night, and manning a flashlight helps the time pass. :v:

As for technique, just experiment. It doesn't take long to figure out how much is too much and how little is too little.

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to take a camping trip this weekend. Maybe I can make the picture in my head come out of the camera.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone done any long exposure where they light up something on the ground briefly?

Look up light painting and you'll find lots of examples and techniques. The best part is you can control how soft the light is by moving the light source around, acting like a fake ring light or softbox. Circlestrafe for softness!

The Cliche Galaxy by Icybacon, on Flickr

This was with a small LED too, probably spending 1/3 of the exposure lighting the joshua tree.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That sky is killer.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

Clown posted:

I can't compete with Hasselblads and the universe.

(excellent London pictures)

Went a bit too far on the HDR with number 5. Possibly should have done HDR with number 4. Pushing the exposure has hosed up my sky. I need to practice more!

My walk to the office has never looked so good, I love all of those.

BreakingDolphins
Sep 20, 2012
I took this one from the Empire State Building (one day before the shooting) with my Nex5.

I didn't have a tri-pod or anything so I put my camera true the fence and leaned it on the concrete wall.

Manhattan at Night by Christiaan Compaan, on Flickr

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

BBC website has done a small thing on the Astronomy photog of the year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19637073

Those Fireflies..

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dalax posted:

Those Fireflies..
Dammit, I've had a similar stacked firefly image in my mental to-do list for months. Oh well, I guess I'd be naive if I thought it was a completely original idea.

Awesome video, thanks for sharing.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I took this about a week ago, first time messing with an ND filter. I'm pretty happy with the results I got and learned some useful things for the next time I decide to shoot fireworks.

Fireworks Friday - Illuminations by mearn3, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I like it apart from that one right through the middle :)

Royal Docks Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Royal Docks Footbridge. by Clwn, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Some completely unasked for crits, hope you don't mind...

Clown posted:

City Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge. by Clwn, on Flickr

Tower Bridge, City Hall Panorama. by Clwn, on Flickr

Towards The Shard. by Clwn, on Flickr

These are pretty cool compositionally, but I feel like the processing is a little weird. They all seem to have a fairly strong green tinge, and the shadows are really blue. It's especially noticeable in the last one (where yeah, I think you went overboard on the HDR), but looking at the clouds and bridge in number 2, all the metal parts in 3 or the handrail and bridge shadows in 4 it seems like you've done something strange. Either that or the lighting there has changed a lot since I was last in London.

I like these a lot more. First one is really nice, although that building on the far right still has something odd going on with the blues. Really like the lines in the second, can't decide if I'd prefer it with a tight vertical crop. There's also some slight haloing on the cables, but it's not that distracting.

mearn posted:

I took this about a week ago, first time messing with an ND filter. I'm pretty happy with the results I got and learned some useful things for the next time I decide to shoot fireworks.

Fireworks Friday - Illuminations by mearn3, on Flickr

Like this a lot, I agree with Clown that it'd be even better without that middle firework (or if that streak were completely vertical). I guess that's not really something that's easy to control, though.

This shot is just great. I wouldn't mind if the lit up buildings in the background had a bit more detail, but I love it as is. e: actually maybe I even prefer it now, with the way they merge into the bright sky.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 23, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Not a problem at all, it's exactly what I need!
I think most of the blue things are ambient lighting.

Clown fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 23, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

The Moon, because I can't really do anything else during the full Moon.

Late September Moon by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Not sure if I posted the first one here or not. In any case, here's an older and a new one. Both taken on medium format film.

Coyote Land, Fog Sea by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Impression of Speed by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

^ I like them both! Especially the top one, I love tha the fog/lake in the background is totally white.

And this technically isn't a long exposure just a night shot, we don't really have a just "night shots" specific thread so I threw it in here.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

East Bay, North Bay by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Chaparral Plains by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Just a pass of the ISS over the lake in front of my house. I think it was a bit lower in altitude due to docking with a cargo capsule recently so it was pretty bright.

edit: vvv Haha, I'll never be able to look at this and not think that now. Thank goodness there aren't any replacement refs to be seen.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 11, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It's like a cosmic endzone pass. :stare:

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Just a pass of the ISS over the lake in front of my house. I think it was a bit lower in altitude due to docking with a cargo capsule recently so it was pretty bright.

I like this a lot!

Here are some star trails shot from our backyard in the suburbs. That blue glow in the lower leafs come from our neighbours horrible christmas lights.

Backyard star trails by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Rovasti posted:

I like this a lot!

Here are some star trails shot from our backyard in the suburbs. That blue glow in the lower leafs come from our neighbours horrible christmas lights.

Backyard star trails by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Thanks, and very cool photo too! Your neighbors already have christmas lights up?? Man it comes sooner and sooner every year. Haha.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It was a clear night last night so I drove an hour out of the city and tried to get some wide-angle shots.

I guess 30 seconds is too long of an exposure, even at 16mm, and I got too much star movement. I also got a ton of light pollution from the city even an hour away.

Can't wait until I get my tracking mount and I can eliminate star movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, if memory serves 20 seconds is about the longest you can go at 16mm, on a crop sensor anyways. Full frame can go a little longer.