Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

This will probably sound really dumb, but what do I need to do with brown rice to make it not so...clumpy, I guess? I tried to make some fried rice but after following the instructions on the bag (boiling in water for 20 mins) it came out with an oatmeal like consistency (pretty close to the consistency you'd want for a risotto, I guess) and trying to fry it in a skillet was hilariously futile. Do I need to use a lot less water? Boil it for shorter periods? Or do I need to use a different kind of rice or something?

The rice was overcooked. You want rice to steam, that way it doesn't turn too mushy. I can fry freshly-made jasmine rice I've made myself, but there's no way I can do it with my GF's rice since she always cooks it harder than me. Cooking rice well is hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

This will probably sound really dumb, but what do I need to do with brown rice to make it not so...clumpy, I guess? I tried to make some fried rice but after following the instructions on the bag (boiling in water for 20 mins) it came out with an oatmeal like consistency (pretty close to the consistency you'd want for a risotto, I guess) and trying to fry it in a skillet was hilariously futile. Do I need to use a lot less water? Boil it for shorter periods? Or do I need to use a different kind of rice or something?

Did you have a lot of steam escape the lid?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Honey Badger posted:

Are you using a rice cooker? I'm guessing not. If you want brown rice to come out nice, you just need to soak it overnight, then cook it like white rice. The night before, turn on your tap to hot water. Make sure it's only hot enough that you can still touch it. Then, soak your brown rice in that warm water in about a 3:1 ratio of water to rice. The next morning, drain the rice, and cook it up. It will cook up in 20 minutes or so. You want to add enough water to the pot that the water's level above the rice will come up to the top of your thumb. Turn on the heat, and let the water boil on high. Drop down the heat to a bare simmer, slam on the lid, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the pot to the table, and let it sit covered for 15 minutes. It should be perfect.

Barring that, use a pressure cooker. Get a bowl small enough to fit into the pressure cooker. Add rice, and just enough water to barely cover the rice. Then, add water outside the bowl in the body of the pressure cooker, to come up halfway up the level of the bowl. Cover the lid, and set it up to cook. When the cooker comes to full pressure, drop down the heat to the lower heat that the cooker requires, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Quick-release the pressure, and you're ready to roll.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

down1nit posted:

While in Barcelona, our host fed us a wonderful melon that was somewhere in between a honeydew and a watermelon. He said it was locally renown and that I probably wouldn't be able to find it in the states. That's OK. I can justify going back to Spain simply to eat more of this melon.... but I don't know what to ask for.

He called it "Lizard Skin" melon, but this doesn't seem to exist on the internet. Any locals know what I should ask for when next I visit?

Edit: 2nd question, unrelated. Thai/Laos restaurants here serve a small sweet/spicy/sour dipping sauce with an order of spring rolls, clear/yellowish with matchsticks of carrot/radish. This is Nuoc Cham yes?

It's piel de sapo. Great melon, somewhat hard to find.

Edit: And freakin' delicious.

Edit 2: and yeah that's usually nuoc cham of some sport.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Casu Marzu posted:

It's piel de sapo. Great melon, somewhat hard to find.

Edit: And freakin' delicious.

Edit 2: and yeah that's usually nuoc cham of some sport.

This is it. You've done it. I will now scour ethnic and produce heavy stores looking for this based solely off of information in Wikipedia stating that it's imported to Spain from Brazil. Maybe it's imported to my area too!

Jesus christ do they fly the melons there on a big ol jet airliner? Do they go by boat?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I dunno. They randomly show up at the grocery store around here every so often and the cashier has no idea what it is and I have to wait like 10 minutes for a manager to come over and manually ring it up every time. It's so worth it though because they're so drat good.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I've forgotten the name of this awesome recipe site I used to use all the time. It's set up like a grid of pictures, which link to blog posts people had made about recipes. They were all good recipes, and it was a good website, and I miss it. Google has failed me in finding it. Can anyone help me?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I've forgotten the name of this awesome recipe site I used to use all the time. It's set up like a grid of pictures, which link to blog posts people had made about recipes. They were all good recipes, and it was a good website, and I miss it. Google has failed me in finding it. Can anyone help me?

tastespotting.com?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Maybe foodgawker.com?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Americans! If I need 15 ounces of canned pumpkin, is that in grams, or in mls?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HookShot posted:

I think if it's a solid, ounces = weight and if it's liquid, ounces = volume

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I think if it's a solid, ounces = weight and if it's liquid, ounces = volume
Yeah, I guess pumpkin counts as a solid. I'm going to go with that, anyways, thanks.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

HookShot posted:

It's canned and measured in gram weight on the side. You should look for a 425g can for most recipes, assuming they are direct analogues to our 15oz cans.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

It's canned and measured in gram weight on the side. You should look for a 425g can for most recipes, assuming they are direct analogues to our 15oz cans.
Thanks! My can was 800g which I knew was too much regardless, so I just scooped out 425g of it into a bowl :)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I have $200 in gift certificates for Williams Sonoma. They don't have a store near me. Is there anything they sell on their website that isn't three times more expensive than it would be anywhere else?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think their All Clad prices are the same as anyone else.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
I just realized I've had a pork loin frozen in the back of my freezer for like a year and a half. Is it still safe to eat with any problems just texture wise (i.e., throw it in the crock pot), or should I throw it away?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I've been thinking about experimenting with Turkish Ice Cream. I do not live in Turkey and an therefor going to do some level of substituting, does anyone have experience and/or recipes that you recommend?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kalicki posted:

I just realized I've had a pork loin frozen in the back of my freezer for like a year and a half. Is it still safe to eat with any problems just texture wise (i.e., throw it in the crock pot), or should I throw it away?

Unless you are a meticulous food saver user, it will likely be freezer burned to poo poo. If you are particularly frugal, you can cut off the burned bits and cook as normal but it will still taste stale and freezer burned. It will be perfectly safe to eat unless you defrosted and refroze it a shitton.

Loin isn't suited for crock pot. You want fast high heat or to roast it. Not low and slow. It lacks connective tissue that makes low and slow food so unctuous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Loin isn't suited for crock pot. You want fast high heat or to roast it. Not low and slow. It lacks connective tissue that makes low and slow food so unctuous.

This, and you might also have been plannin on thawing it out before cooking it, but putting a big frozen meat thing in a crock pot is really unsafe from a food safety point of view since it's going to take too long to get up to a safe temperature.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Well, it's been frozen continuously, and it's in a vacuum sealed bag, so it looks fine from a freezer burn point mostly.

Hmmmm. I'm broke right now, so taste is a bit less of an issue right now that being able to make it edible.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
GWS, any tips for great pierogi fillings? I need a couple of really tasty fillings as a treat for my polish father tonight.

Was thinking of maybe doing the one on the GWS wiki and maybe some sort of mushroom filling but I have a feeling the mushrooms would leak too much liquid and make the whole thing a soggy mess.

What do you guys think?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Oski posted:

GWS, any tips for great pierogi fillings? I need a couple of really tasty fillings as a treat for my polish father tonight.

Was thinking of maybe doing the one on the GWS wiki and maybe some sort of mushroom filling but I have a feeling the mushrooms would leak too much liquid and make the whole thing a soggy mess.

What do you guys think?
Bake potatoes, then skin & mash them with proscuitto, cheese of your choice (aged cheddar and parm would be awesome) and spring onion.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Oski posted:

GWS, any tips for great pierogi fillings?

One that I remember liking as a kid was cabbage, eggs and dill. It's dead simple as well.

Just finely slice half a small dead of cabbage, then sweat it in a pan for a bit the add a lid and let it simmer until soft. Mix the shredded cabbage with four chopped hardboiled eggs and a bunch of chopped dill. Add salt and pepper and use as filling in your pierogi.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 29, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

the littlest prince posted:

I have $200 in gift certificates for Williams Sonoma. They don't have a store near me. Is there anything they sell on their website that isn't three times more expensive than it would be anywhere else?

Buy a nutmeg grater. It's sufficiently silly to count as a worthwhile Williams Sonoma Purchase.

Or like a pineapple corer or something. Buy some poo poo that nobody needs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone have any good recipes that involve using pumpkin pie filling that aren't pumpkin pie? I accidentally bought two cans of filling instead of pure pumpkin the other day and now I need something to do with them. Or if you have a recipe for pie that doesn't involve evaporated milk, that's good too!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Is it the Libby's brand filling? Take off the wrapper and there's a recipe on the inside of the label for pumpkin muffins.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Williams-Sonoma has a couple of really good in-house cookbooks. It used to be that you could only get them there, but I guess you can order them off Amazon now so I guess they aren't a good use of a gift card anymore.

Their cheese collections are not insanely overpriced for what they are, maybe one of those?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

HookShot posted:

Does anyone have any good recipes that involve using pumpkin pie filling that aren't pumpkin pie? I accidentally bought two cans of filling instead of pure pumpkin the other day and now I need something to do with them. Or if you have a recipe for pie that doesn't involve evaporated milk, that's good too!

Never buy that crap again, please. Real pumpkin is cheap, and dead simple to puree.

But now that you're here.

3 TB oil
5 yellow onions, diced finely
3 potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 tin pumpkin pie filling
1 cup cashews
2 cups water
2 cups water, reserved
Salt and pepper, to taste

Soak the cashews in the water, and let it sit for an hour or so. Grind in the blender, until finely ground. Add oil to a stock pot, and dump in the onions. Turn on the heat to high. Sautee until medium brown. Add the potatoes. Sautee until the potatoes are coated with fat. Add the cashews and water mixture. Bring to a boil. If the water level is too low to cover the potatoes, add the reserved water, and keep boiling. Allow the potatoes to get tender. When the potatoes are tender, turn off the heat. Grind to a puree. Add the tinned pumpkin.

Puree some more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

It will be so many kinds of delicious.

But never again buy tinned pumpkin pie filling.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

HookShot posted:

Bake potatoes, then skin & mash them with proscuitto, cheese of your choice (aged cheddar and parm would be awesome) and spring onion.

Amazing, thanks for this! I did this with some cabbage and garlic and they were fantastic. Also made beef mince and mushroom filling so all round a happy Polish family.

Also, thanks to DekeThornton; they sound really good but unfortunately we only had 1 egg left so I will have to try this next time!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Cool, glad it turned out well :)

Thanks for the recipe dino, will definitely try that! EVG sadly it's ED Smith brand, and the recipe on the label calls for evaporated milk which I don't have.

And yeah, I definitely never intended to buy pumpkin pie filling. I am just a dumb person who doesn't read labels properly!

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Can anyone tell me real quick how to apply liquid smoke to burgers? I have read so many variations that I can't figure out which one sounds right. Some say to brush it on, others to mix it in. I've read 1 tsp per lb of beef, or 1/2 tsp per 5lbs beef. That's ...inconsistent.

I'll be cooking them in a cast iron pan. Any tips for this are also welcome! I am not a burger expert.

HookShot posted:

I could get you a gourmet pumpkin pie cupcake recipe which uses pumpkin pie filling... It takes a lot of cupcakes to go through a can though.

Edit: Whoops didn't see you already got something better.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So I did brined pork today and it was delicious. All I used was salt, sugar, and cloves, so I'm curious what to try next. There are a lot of recipes that come up on google and some of them are pretty intense so I'd like a GWS vetted one. Any ideas?

edit: Also, how long do you guys let it get its brine on? I let it sit for a little over 24hours and I found it was quite salty and flavorful. My cookbook says 3 days would be ideal but I feel like that wouldn't have helped much. What in your opinion is the ideal amount of brinery. Thanks.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 30, 2012

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I need some help with my curry sauce. I'm trying to recreate (as closely as possible) the yellow curry used in a tofu dish at my favorite local Vietnamese restaurant. It's hard to describe their curry sauce; it's rich and flavorful, but not heavy at all - you could almost drink the stuff with a straw. It's slightly spicy, not too salty, and with a creamy texture. I'm terrible at describing taste.

Anyway, here's what I've got working after several incarnations:

- 1 onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 to 1 1/2 cans coconut milk (I know they use coconut cream at the restuarant, but I haven't found any yet, and I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Canola oil

Spices:
- 1 TBL ginger
- 1 TSP turmeric
- 1 TBL cumin
- 1 TSP cayenne
- 1 TSP coriander
- 1 TSP black pepper
- 4 TSP soy sauce
- 1 TSP ground mustard seed
- 1 TBL lemongrass

Sautee the onions, shallots, garlic with canola oil; when onions are starting to brown, I added the spices and cooked them briefly with sautee mixture, then added coconut milk and lemongrass and cooked for a while. For this dish, I used chickpeas, so I added two cans of chickpeas soon after the coconut milk. Cooked for about 30-45 minutes. Served with steamed white rice.

It was decent. It seems to be going in the right direction, but it just lacked any kind of 'oomph' in flavor. Any advice?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

68k posted:

It was decent. It seems to be going in the right direction, but it just lacked any kind of 'oomph' in flavor. Any advice?

Salt maybe? Coconut cream is basically a more concentrated coconut milk so it could add some flavor too.

Try using fresh ginger and spices in general- like if you could toast cumin seed before grinding it that will add a lot to it just by itself.

Also maybe some fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped and mixed in at the end? It may not be closer to what you're wanting though.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here is Vietnamese curry how my family makes it (chicken version but I've made vegetarian versions with tofu and soy sauce as well): http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Chicken_Curry_%28C%C3%A0_ri_g%C3%A0%29

You're definitely on the right track, it just looks like too high a proportion of coconut milk in the broth, which would offset the spiciness. We use mostly broth, then add coconut milk/cream to taste. Leave your cans of coconut milk sitting in the cupboard for a long time and the cream will separate out and rise to the top of the can. Just scoop it out with a spoon and make sure you don't shake or invert your cans of coconut milk.

Your spice blend could also use some clove, fenugreek, bay leaves, allspice. I just use a preblended Madras curry powder so maybe look up a Madras curry powder recipe to grind your own.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to try reducing coconut milk, using stock, and looking for that Madras powder. It definitely makes sense that all the milk I was using may have been drowning out the taste.

Just for reference, here's a shot of the curry tofu they serve (on the right) :swoon:

meatpath fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 30, 2012

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Wife bought almond meal instead of flour and we intended on baking bread with it. Can I use meal (have a recipe)? Can I alter the meal in any way to make it workable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

dino. posted:

Never buy that crap again, please. Real pumpkin is cheap, and dead simple to puree.

At work, when I know I'm going to be there cooking for 8-10 hours anyways I'll roast and puree a pumpkin. At home, if I just want to make a pumpkin pie, I'll buy a can of pumpkin puree (just the puree, not "pie filling") so that making a pie doesn't involve an extra hour of running the oven/prep time. I've never been able to tell a difference in the finished product.

In most cases fresh produce is better but utilizing canned/preserved products when appropriate is nothing to scoff at. Especially since pumpkins are a pretty seasonal piece of produce and one canned in october is probably a lot better than one picked in April in whatever corner of the world can grow pumpkin in April and shipped in a cart to a dock where it went in a boat to a distribution center where it went into a truck to show up at your local grocery

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 30, 2012