Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Adrian Finol posted:

My Coteaz got Skywalker'd tonight and lost his hand (the one with the hammer).

Any idea how I can find/make a replacement for it?

Space Marine hand + Grey Knight / Thunderwolf Cav. hammer? It would be a bit longer than Coteaz', but it should still look good. Just pin it on there.

Might be able to find a bitz store selling the finecast hammer hand on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I don't think it's fair to totally discount captains anymore. The warlord VP and challenges give you a lot more incentive to take a fighty HQ. Overall, you'll get more utility out of the librarian, but you also run a greater risk of giving up a critical point. I've seen a good number of 6E games decided by those secondary objectives.

E: That said, BA captains are pretty poo poo. I'm still stunned by them not getting artificer armor or relic blades, especially the former; Blood Angels are well known for their level of artifice. Seems like if you want a fighty BA captain, you take Tycho because his melee attacks ignore armor at I5, which is really good if you want to challenge stuff.

Right now I think I might just use them as allies, so I can have both options (bikes as troops, assault marines with decent weapons as troops). I don't have the codex yet, is there a way to just make a completely throw-away HQ? Or are they like the C:SM ones that are at least 100 pts each?

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

Right now I think I might just use them as allies, so I can have both options (bikes as troops, assault marines with decent weapons as troops). I don't have the codex yet, is there a way to just make a completely throw-away HQ? Or are they like the C:SM ones that are at least 100 pts each?

Yeah, 100 points for either a captain or librarian. The other good thing about BA librarians is that they have some decent codex powers as well as access to Divination.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Maybe look at running Mephiston?

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

I'm working on getting my Dark Eldar assembled and painted. I've settled on a steel primary, green secondary scheme for my Kabal, and I want to keep the steel primary for the associated Wych Cult and Haemonculus Coven. I'm thinking purple secondary on the Wyches and orange secondary on the Haemonculi. Thoughts?

also:

:siren:The several people in this thread I am shipping stuff to:siren:

I'm gonna try and get it all mailed in one batch on Monday

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Kosmonaut posted:

I'm working on getting my Dark Eldar assembled and painted. I've settled on a steel primary, green secondary scheme for my Kabal, and I want to keep the steel primary for the associated Wych Cult and Haemonculus Coven. I'm thinking purple secondary on the Wyches and orange secondary on the Haemonculi. Thoughts?

also:

:siren:The several people in this thread I am shipping stuff to:siren:

I'm gonna try and get it all mailed in one batch on Monday

That would be pretty cool actually, each of the colors fit well on Dark Eldar and it would look cohesive as they are all secondary colors and steel wouldn't clash with any.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

I hate running named/special characters. Which is causing me slight grief over having to take Coteaz so I can get some use out of the old stormtrooper models I have on the way :negative:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

I hate running named/special characters.
Why?

CrotchPheasant
Jun 7, 2004

nobody important

Honey Badger posted:

He can be a lot fun if you use him right. If you can set him up as a serious threat and make your opponents scared of him you can get a lot more use out of him than just a CC beatstick. I ran him for something like 10 games straight without losing him and after awhile people just started losing their minds when he was on the table. They'd focus their entire army on him and I could basically dictate the action based on where I put him. Made it really easy to pick apart the rest and then have him swoop in for the kill (making them hate him even more).

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Was really looking forward to the new Horus Heresy book but when I went to order it it turns out I have no way of buying it, no credit card currently and the only debit cards they accept appear to be UK ones and of course no paypal. Are there any North American distributors for their books?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Comrade Merf posted:

Was really looking forward to the new Horus Heresy book but when I went to order it it turns out I have no way of buying it, no credit card currently and the only debit cards they accept appear to be UK ones and of course no paypal. Are there any North American distributors for their books?

Could write them a check.

Weird though, I don't have a credit card and I've definitely ordered from Forgeworld with a debit card before, and it most certainly was not a British one. Dunno what the deal with that is, did they change their policy recently or something?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm facing the dilemma of what to run as a HQ for my CFists.

I've narrowed it down to 3. Fighty captain, librarian or Pedro.

Pedro does funky things with sternguard, obviously, and running 3 units of 10 sternguard and 2 units of 5 troops will always be funny.

Fighty captain is just cool in general, but doesn't bring ANY utility outside being a beatstick.

Libby brings lots of utility, but, IMO, libbies are just a bit boring.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have some great examples of 'alternative' Ork schemes? I'll probably still go green skin but I don't know what vehicle colors to use... red and yellow are a bitch to paint, green will be too much green I think, and blue will look like some dumb ultra marine-ork :(

Orange!

Not mine, but I've painted my blood bowl team and gorkamorka mob with white and orange and I like it.

e: what I should have done, take pictures of my orks/orcs!

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 30, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Comrade Merf posted:

They should take anything with Visa on it, although I have read something similar before and can't remember how it was solved. Some larger GW stores should be selling the new HH book too, so you might be able to get it there.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Merf posted:

Check with your bank if you can make a pre-paid virtual credit card.

e: Anyone have experience with gaming mats? I was thinking of getting a ZUZZY but the shipping to Europe is insane. Are there any other good choices?

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 30, 2012

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

bhsman posted:

That's a splendid purple and gold, doesn't feel like it edges into being too gaudy.

I'm probably going to end up with a copy of Betrayal for Christmas, and while I'm content to just tell myself I can use my Wolves with the new rules, I've been considering painting up a squad of Pre-Heresy Legionnaires. The question is whether I should paint them up as one of the four in the first book (Death Guard/Emperor's Children/World Eaters/Luna Wolves or Sons of Horus) or try and hold out for Dorn and Russ. :ohdear:

I totally agree with the EC purple there, it's extremely nice without looking too pink or overly shiny.

Here's my two cents on Heresy lists and armies:

I bought Betrayal today as I've been putting together a heresy era list for a while. My idea is that its a post-heresy but pre-codex list of Imperial Fists which means I get to play around with the normal plastic kits and the forgeworld resins interchangeably. I find that means that a single 5 man resin squad can mix in with up to 10 plastic marines if you're canny about what bits you use and choice of heads. Even simply not using a single Mark 7 head and no aquila breastplates makes a radically different look when used across the army as a whole.

There's no real need to splash out on all resin armies by using creative bitz - there's a surprising amount of variant marines heads on various plastic kits, while the real money saver is getting the red scorpion upgrade kits - 10 Mk 4 heads and bodies for £17 tends to be significantly cheaper than bits websites.

There's also some excellent tutorials around - like this one for Mk5 marines (my favourites) http://www.mywargame.com/2010/01/17/creating-pre-heresy-marines-part-6-mark-v-power-armour/

Most of the plastic kits can be used in a prehesrsy army, while creatively using things like old metal Ultramarine captains for Sergeants, second ed Boltguns (which actually look terrible), venerable dreads instead of the normal kit means that you can do a whole army without having to spend thousands.

edit: this dakka page has a good summary http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/308864.page

HOWEVER everyone doing a heresy army wants to buy all the awesome FW poo poo anyway, so I presume that you all will (just like me).

Anyway. Photos! I'm away from home at the moment so they're all old WIP ones, but I couldnt write all that without a fists photodump.

Special weapon marines:

Marine in recon armour

Ven Dread with Mk4 helmet

First attempt at making a cataphractii terminator

Early shot of the old pattern Rhino:

Techmarine in Rhino:

Mk4 Dread:

lenoon fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 30, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mmm, I love Orange. How didfficult is it to paint? I actually just bought brown primer last night because I was going to do the generic red... But those look sooo good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I like the idea that my commander was just one of the random nameless officers within an IG regiment or SM chapter, and not one of the guys that's badass enough to be known in a decent chunk of the Imperium.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Sab669 posted:

Mmm, I love Orange. How didfficult is it to paint? I actually just bought brown primer last night because I was going to do the generic red... But those look sooo good.

Honestly, I just tried the new orange color (RIP blazing orange :smith: ) and its coverage did not impress :(

I'd do a light brown base and go from there.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Honey Badger posted:

Fyrbrand what is your recipe for that blue? Looks amazing.

Those snow bases are also awesome, it adds a nice touch and you don't see many frosty orks.

Thanks. It's just Enchanted Blue (don't remember the new name for this paint) over Boltgun Metal. If I want to highlight it I use 50/50 Enchanted Blue / Ice Blue.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

Check with your bank if you can make a pre-paid virtual credit card.

e: Anyone have experience with gaming mats? I was thinking of getting a ZUZZY but the shipping to Europe is insane. Are there any other good choices?
I have one of these and love it.

http://theterrainguy.com/gamemats.html

EDIT: Also the orange Orks and some of the yellow Marine things above are awesome, kudos to you goons.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 30, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

GW's mat is seriously one of the best deals they have. I just dusted it with occasional spots of different shades of green or brown spray paint to break it up a bit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Adrian Finol posted:

My Coteaz got Skywalker'd tonight and lost his hand (the one with the hammer).

Any idea how I can find/make a replacement for it?

This doesn't fix your problem but seems like a good enough opportunity for me to post Brother Gives-No-Fucks:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That's not Brother Coteaz, that's Brotha Coteaz.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So I've been getting a reputation in the store that I'm unbeatable which is both somewhat flattering and also sad, because I play fair lists and people just end up losing to either poor tactics, poor rolls, or both. Yesterday two of the store regulars wanted to team up against me and fight in a 2000pt battle. They played Tau and Orks, each got their own force org. chart, and each got a Warlord Trait. I let them choose what army they battled and they selected Space Marines. We all had great fun and laughed and joked the whole time.

I tabled them on turn four, having lost about 350pts myself. :(

As they both told me later, the game was effectively over the turn it started because I Drop Podded 10x Sternguard (combat squadded) and Chaplain Cassius into their back line. The Sternguard caused a ton of damage before being shot to crap, but Chaplain Cassius went on to withstand a full Ork charge and additional shooting before routing a group of Fire Warriors and taking their quadgun. They essentially spent the whole game trying to kill a single T6 FNP Chaplain while the rest of my army advanced and shot them to crap with blast templates and flamers. They now, perhaps rightfully, hate Chaplain Cassius.

I wanted to make a battle rep out of it, but it was depressing enough for them as it was that I didn't want to rub it in and start snapping photos. I did have enough fun with Salamanders again that I'm probably going to reward them by painting some of their shameful unprimered models.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

DICKS CURE DYKES posted:

I like the idea that my commander was just one of the random nameless officers within an IG regiment or SM chapter, and not one of the guys that's badass enough to be known in a decent chunk of the Imperium.

I feel you man. I am running a custom chapter myself, so the fact that I have Lysander kicking it with some Blood Angels would seem a bit weird. It is easily fixed though. All you have to do is make your own guy, and run him as a counts as named character.

This is my Lysander counts as. I used the Space Hulk Sarge, and cut off his sword hand. I then modified a GK thunder hammer so that it was in his left hand and had no Inquisition markings. Finally, the demon head shield(my chapter likes fear) that I got from Maxmini was a bit too small for a Termmy armored guy, so I used some Leman Russ armor pieces that were left over from my Destroyer Tank hunter to make his shield.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ngggh, not sure if I want to make my own chapter now. I like fluffing my own characters etc. But I'd need to think of a name and paint scheme.

I do like the CFists colour scheme. Maybe I could just do the solid blue, with different coloured shoulder trim or something?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A few years back I had my own custom chapter with a fun scheme, it was tzeentch purple (I think?) with a layer of the old midnight blue over it. They were the Twilight Hunters, and have been sitting in a friend's closet for the last 4 years. I got in touch with him recently to give him a mailing address to send them, I'm just waiting for them to show up now :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Instead of making up my own chapter, I'm looking into "adopting" one of the chapters that GW have made a name and colour for, and nothing else.

Turns out there's LOTS of those.

Slimmed it down by liking the dark blue though. What do people think of these, marines of the Emperor's Hands chapter:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

VogeGandire posted:

What do people think of these, marines of the Emperor's Hands chapter:

I like it, but be prepared to have a ton of people tell you "nice Ultramarines."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Eh, that's going to happen with any blue marines that AREN'T crimson fists.

(e): Change of plan, doing white like that is a pain. BACK TO DRAWING BOARD.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 30, 2012

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I finally got to put a terminator librarian on the field yesterday, and I have to say I love biomancy powers. Making all my bolters wound on 2s against eldar and guardsmen is awesome as was giving my terminators FNP.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh to hell with it. I'll just homebrew my own CAPTAIN for Crimson Fists. I like the paint scheme too much.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

VogeGandire posted:

Eh, that's going to happen with any blue marines that AREN'T crimson fists.

(e): Change of plan, doing white like that is a pain. BACK TO DRAWING BOARD.

Start from white primer, the blue will be nice and rich and the white will be a lot easier.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Cross posting from the painting thread;

Just finished up the prototype scheme of some Dire Avengers that have been taunting me for too long. Unfortunately, I've been working on a fire prism, and the scheme hasn't been translating well to vehicles. I'll finish it off, and hope it looks better when it's done, because I think it looks pretty rocken' on infantry.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Now I miss the Charlotte Hornets.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
gently caress yeah. Larry Johnson, Mugsey Bogues et al. 90s Charlotte Hornets kicked rear end.

this is not a bad thing, Takkaryx.

e: I think it might look cooler if that grey/darker purple was like a dark, glossy black instead

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 30, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Takkaryx posted:

Cross posting from the painting thread;

Just finished up the prototype scheme of some Dire Avengers that have been taunting me for too long. Unfortunately, I've been working on a fire prism, and the scheme hasn't been translating well to vehicles.
Does it really? I think that that purple armor + dark grey underneath + teal vines/thorns/other ornaments/gradients would work quite well. Add nicely shaded bright neon green for the prism cannon and you're set. Of course, that's a shitload of work, but no one forced you to choose that scheme :v:

Oh, and please post pics if you've already painted it.

edit: Speaking of Eldar tanks, anyone have any photos of 28mm-scale old-style Falcons/other Eldar tanks, from 1/2 ed., back when no one knew what a modern skimmer looks like and the Epic plastic Falcons were completely different?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 30, 2012

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

What colors are those for the purple and turquoise? I really like those and thinking of using that for a Slaanesh theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I thought you ment from a game/ethical standpoint.

If you don't like that they have names and stories already then just play a game of Mad Lib. As long as the points are the same and it's on your list the fluff don't matter. I play Grey Knight codex but I use chaos models to represent everything.

Instead of Marbo it's Veteran Sargent *Name* who was crushed to find his home *Destructive Verb* by *Enemy Faction* and is going AWOL to settle the score.

Instead of Straken it's Chief Medical Officer *Name* who after having his Inquisitional funds cut for his *Space Disease* cure he made a last ditch effort to save the project by testing on himself. The *scientific medium* had a different reaction to his body and now he has super strength which effects others around him. Though these effects seem positive the reaction causes a constant drain on his mental well being and is slowly succumbing to madness.

This also frees you up to convert ~$2/$3 models instead of buying the ~$15 blisters.

• Locked thread