Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

Man even Martin Sheen held up better than Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Geez, how the hell do you get an entire staff together for your campaign ad?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mary McCormack (Kate Harper) is her sister.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So I recently watched the whole thing for the first time, and yeah, super awesome. The above ties into something I noticed, in that the show makes little to no attempt to cover up how much some characters age through the 2 terms.

Josh's can be explained not just by the obvious out-of-show reasons, but because he's such a busy worrywart, especially in the final season. He takes on a lot to himself, and he loses more than a few arguments and battles. That'll drain anyone.

Bartlet's obvious - he's the goddamn president. Doesn't show much on his face, but his hair changes from slightly gray at the temples to nearly full gray at the end.

Most other things I noticed have been pointed out. I had a strange compulsion to get a job in which I have an assistant whose name is either Donna or Margaret, so I can yell that name from my office.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

isk posted:

Most other things I noticed have been pointed out. I had a strange compulsion to get a job in which I have an assistant whose name is either Donna or Margaret, so I can yell that name from my office.

I'd rather have a woman married to one of the New Hampshire Landinghams.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So there are two sisters, one named "Mary" and the other named "Bridget Mary"?

Who names kids like that?

E: "nonpartisan" is a joke. The MDP has told me to vote for:
Sheila Johnson
Connie Marie Kelley
Bridget Mary McCormack

I assume the republicans have similar instructions.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

myron cope posted:

So there are two sisters, one named "Mary" and the other named "Bridgette Mary"? (I don't know if the first name is spelled right, it's not the important part)

Who names kids like that?

George Foreman

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol, Americans need help to fill out a ballot!

Suddenly I understand why Fox News is so popular over there ...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume they are all at the Bartlett library for some reason.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

brylcreem posted:

Yes of course, let's go with "Americans are dumb hicks" and not "A lot of ballots are counterintuitively designed."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I am very happy that I live in Michigan right now

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

brylcreem posted:

I know, right? :rolleyes:

(Obvious post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMn2s1nmsxQ )

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
I kept waiting for Leo to show up.

Then i remembered. :(

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

shelper posted:

Oh no... :smith:

Turtle
Jun 22, 2006
Habitual Lurker

shelper posted:

Right there with you.

Have to admit, it was adorable seeing so many of them in one place again. You lucky Michigan people.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shelper posted:

Why... why must you do this? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

shelper posted:

drat you :cry:

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Bartlet needs to stop being President before he goes bald. Holy hell.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
e: wrong thread.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

shelper posted:

:smithicide: Dammit, man, WHY?!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Guys I think it has been long enough that we don't need to act despondent every time he's mentioned. He was a tremendous talent, but school will be open on his birthday.

She's dean of Michigan Law so I can't complain too much, but she's going to win the election because of the West Wing video and not because voters have made an informed decision, which shouldn't really be the point. Of course this complaint is only valid if I pretend we live in a world where people have idea what they're doing in the non partisan section.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 21, 2012

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hoops posted:

I have never once understood skipping parts of a serial in any medium. People on the internet always talk about skipping chapters in books and stuff. It baffles me, other than the 9/11 episode there isn't a single self-contained episode in the entire show. Skipping stuff on re-watches is completely understandable, but why would you willfully ignore parts of the story?

Because we watch a television show to be entertained. If you're watching seven seasons, you want an episode to A) entertain you or, failing that, B) provide necessary background information for a future episode which will entertain you. If there is an episode that is universally accepted to be not entertaining at all, and doesn't help you understand or appreciate future episodes, I can see wanting to skip it.

Granted, I'm not advocating skipping any West Wing episodes, I'm just saying I can understand the reasoning. "On this episode of Deep Space 9, Jake and Nog go on a double date!" "Uuuuggggghhh." (Please don't start a DS9 holy war, it's just the first thing that came to mind, the rest of that episode may have been fantastic, I can't remember.)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

She's dean of Michigan Law so I can't complain too much, but she's going to win the election because of the West Wing video and not because voters have made an informed decision, which shouldn't really be the point. Of course this complaint is only valid if I pretend we live in a world where people have idea what they're doing in the non partisan section.

I don't like voting for judges. At least not Supreme Court justices. Something like a magistrate is ok (I guess). I thought the whole point was judges were supposed to be above the politics? Instead they're out whoring for dollars and votes? It's naive to assume they are apolitical, but I dunno. It just makes me uncomfortable.

And I don't think she'll win (or lose) because of that video. It's more likely that her having a famous sister would sway more people I would think. Until the video came out I had no idea.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The reunion makes me want more seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I had to make a gif of this because I always wanted to see Bartlet wipe out a crowd of people with his coat fling.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In this building, when the president stands, nobody sits.

help me I can't stop watching

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

myron cope posted:

In this building, when the president stands, nobody sits.

help me I can't stop watching
Working as intended. Move along people.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am watching through the series with my wife, and we're into the dreaded down years. I think I've finally figured out why these episodes are so bad. They simply lengthened them too much. In the early years, when an episode was 43 minutes long, it was easy to digest in one sitting. But now that we're into seasons 5 and 6, some of these episodes are 8 and 9 hours long, and that's just too much West Wing at a time. And I know what you're saying, no I think the episodes stayed the same length, well I challenge you, watch an episode like The Wake Up Call, wherein CJ has to wrestle with whether to wake The President from nap time, and tell me that episode isn't 22 hours long. It is exhausting.

It's becoming really difficult to watch, because my wife, trooper that she is, was never terribly interested in the show to begin with, but begrudgingly admitted that the early seasons were good. This change in tone, and ultimately the change in what the show is even about, is making her lose interest.

It is kinda funny, this is the only show I can think of (I'm sure there's others), where people qualify their fandom. Even for people who rank it as their favorite, everyone's quick to make sure you know they like seasons 1-4 the best.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm at Bad Moon Rising and this is the best stretch of 5 episodes on tv ever and hopefully I can stop watching after these are over :ohdear:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
After a certain point you realize it's actually all really good television and think people who qualify their fandom just watched it through once and aren't really 'fans'.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Guys I think it has been long enough that we don't need to act despondent every time he's mentioned. He was a tremendous talent, but school will be open on his birthday.

She's the Associate Clinical Dean at Michigan, I think. Evan Caminker is still dean.

myron cope posted:

I don't like voting for judges. At least not Supreme Court justices. Something like a magistrate is ok (I guess). I thought the whole point was judges were supposed to be above the politics? Instead they're out whoring for dollars and votes? It's naive to assume they are apolitical, but I dunno. It just makes me uncomfortable.

And I don't think she'll win (or lose) because of that video. It's more likely that her having a famous sister would sway more people I would think. Until the video came out I had no idea.

Most states have elected judiciaries, which leads to insanity and hilarity on the trial court levels when judges campaign on being ridiculously harsh in their sentencing.

Though it's also insanely naive to think that appointed judges are apolitical - the Supreme Court is just the easiest and most prominent example. New term begins October 1, everyone drink up!

In retrospect, after the shitshow that was the Newsroom, the West Wing hasn't really aged all that well. Especially the Ainsley stuff.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I actually really, really enjoyed Seasons 5 and 6 (watching the S6 finale now). Well, I'd drop a "really" for 5, and yeah, neither was better than the first four, but they're still fantastic, especially Santos and Vinick. Alan Alda :allears:

Watching the titular West Wing break down is fascinating, and probably one of the most realistic aspects of the show (the least realistic being Vinick's agnosticism not immediately disqualifying him from the race :v:). I even like the new White House members (mini-CJ and Kate). Toby's as incredibly depressing as ever, especially the ep about his brother (probably the single strongest character-based episode since the one about Josh's PTSD). And, well, Leo :smith:

It's wonderful that they've brought back so many elements of the show that were dropped by the wayside. Charlie running into the President outside Zoey's dorm was hilarious, and I completely believe that that relationship was continuing even without being shown - I didn't feel like it was just a way to shoe in a cameo.

I just really hope that season 7 manages to wrap up the characters who have been so busy - if Josh/Donna don't have a resolution I'm going to be pissed - as well as providing more awesome Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda moments.

Is it as good as the first four seasons? Nah. But it's so different at this point that it doesn't feel like a cheap knockoff; it feels like a completely different show, and I love that.

(also why does this season 6 finale have so much shakeycam? I think I even saw JJ Abrams-style lens flares :stare:)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

abraham linksys posted:

(also why does this season 6 finale have so much shakeycam? I think I even saw JJ Abrams-style lens flares :stare:)
Yep - Josh and Toby's fight has that, too. The episode is shot like any other, but then suddenly when they start arguing, the camera starts with all of those jerky movements and rapid zooms. It becomes a different show for 2 minutes, it's really strange.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yep - Josh and Toby's fight has that, too.

I had already mentally blocked this out you jerk :argh:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

There are other places that have it too. Like in Shutdown which is...S5 I guess? It's jarring to me, the filming style totally changes but not permanently. I know I mentioned it in the thread before but I dunno.

I like S5 but there are so many forgettable moments and I didn't like the Israel/Gaza/whatever stuff basically at all (that I guess started in S5 but really was S6? I don't know I didn't like it). Anyway, The Supremes is awesome, Access I don't like to rewatch, Will is a douchebag. That dumb Cuba episode. Eh.

Season 7 is really good though. Jimmy Smits :allears:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Shakycam is the logical conclusion to the spinning cam that was employed previously in the series. It got pretty bad in season 4 when they were just spinning around people for no reason while they were talking.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MrBling posted:

Shakycam is the logical conclusion to the spinning cam that was employed previously in the series. It got pretty bad in season 4 when they were just spinning around people for no reason while they were talking.
That's always the "I could never be an actor" moment for me. Something moving constantly across my field of vision, which I have explicit instructions not to look at? Yeah, that's where I'm looking.

Will Bailey's first press conference after Toby is fired is a great example of this. The poor cameraman does like 8 laps around Will.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I've been bouncing across random episodes for the past week. Just finished 2162 Votes and the way they build up to that final scene in Vinick's room is just fantastic, as is the scene itself. He's been the elephant in the room over the course of the entire season and it really hits home that all of the trials they've gone through to win the nomination are just a prelude to what is coming. Awesome.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I really enjoy the episodes where animals come to visit the West Wing. The turkeys, the goat, Big Bird, White House needs a petting zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I just really hope that season 7 manages to wrap up the characters who have been so busy - if Josh/Donna don't have a resolution I'm going to be pissed - as well as providing more awesome Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda moments.

Rest easy son, everything'll be fine.

• Locked thread