Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

I'm going to switch from Rogers to WIND, is there anything I need to know about porting my number? I'm assuming I have to call Rogers after and cancel?

Wind will do the cancelling for you. Just don't call in and cancel it yourself otherwise you'll lose your number. Just be sure to have your account number or PIN ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Does Bell not have an iPhone unlock policy like Rogers and Telus? I've got the dough to buy one outright but Apple will only sell them (in store) locked, and I plan to switch carriers next year unless they really wow me with a deal.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ZShakespeare posted:

Does Bell not have an iPhone unlock policy like Rogers and Telus? I've got the dough to buy one outright but Apple will only sell them (in store) locked, and I plan to switch carriers next year unless they really wow me with a deal.

So why not just buy one from Apple.com?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

So why not just buy one from Apple.com?

I have one on order, estimated delivery: October 31.

vvvv I'll be fine. I'm just curious if it is the case that Bell is really the only carrier that won't unlock an iPhone when the user is off contract. All the more reason to switch.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 25, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I have one on order, estimated delivery: October 31.

You'll survive. :). And you might even get it earlier, according to some.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ZShakespeare posted:

gently caress, you shell out $700+ in store and it's not even unlocked? It wasn't like this last year when I picked up a 4S. What gives?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Lexicon posted:

gently caress, you shell out $700+ in store and it's not even unlocked? It wasn't like this last year when I picked up a 4S. What gives?

Yeah, that would make sense. I took an early lunch to get to the store for opening on Monday, and I was third in line when the genius reminds everyone they are only selling locked devices. Told me I had to go online to get an unlocked one. I'd never heard of that before.

I can only assume the carriers are getting their tentacles into Apple now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah, that would make sense. I took an early lunch to get to the store for opening on Monday, and I was third in line when the genius reminds everyone they are only selling locked devices. Told me I had to go online to get an unlocked one. I'd never heard of that before.

I'm betting it's got less to do with that than the fact that they'll sell more locked phones and want to maximize supply.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Surely not. Apple has commoditized the gently caress out of them, and this only grows more true each year.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
As far as I know Bell still doesn't unlock them.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
According to This site only Fido, Rogers, and Telus will unlock iPhones in Canada.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Do any of the providers still do couple/family plans? I've scoured their websites, but didn't find anything so I'm thinking no.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Do any of the providers still do couple/family plans? I've scoured their websites, but didn't find anything so I'm thinking no.

All plans nowadays are share plans. Everyone picks an individual rate plan and they can link together to share minutes, data, and texts (assuming both parties have them) and free calls between members.

There used to be family plans that were roughly 35-45 dollars that gave you two lines, if that's what you're thinking about. However, those totally sucked. Each member would have a $9.70 system access fee with those plans, so the bare minimum family plan would be about $55, which is exactly what two individual share plans cost today. Plus any additional lines were $15 each (plus a $9.70 system access fee), and they didn't add any additional minutes, while now additional lines add additional minutes to the sharing pool. None of these plans offered a free bonus feature either, such as unlimited texting which is available now. Also, there was a "main" line that if you wanted to cancel or remove (due to Murphy's law the line you want to remove is ALWAYS that one) then you'd have to change everyone's plan and hope you don't lose any grandfathered features.

So yeah, good riddance.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I rooted my Galaxy S2 and am looking to unlock it myself or have a 3rd party do it.

I currently use Virgin in Canada but am going to the US for the holidays. Can I just buy a pre paid SIM from Virgin America or T-Mobile?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Bonzo posted:

So I rooted my Galaxy S2 and am looking to unlock it myself or have a 3rd party do it.

I currently use Virgin in Canada but am going to the US for the holidays. Can I just buy a pre paid SIM from Virgin America or T-Mobile?

I've got a T-Mobile SIM that I use in the USA. Only get EDGE speeds on my iPhone with it, but it works well enough, and it's $2 a day.

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

Bonzo posted:

If you're OK with EDGE data on your S2, you could also go with http://www.roammobility.com/. The advantage with them over others like T-Mobile or AT&T is the free calling/texting to Canada, and that you can keep the same number (most US prepaid SIMs will deactivate and lose the number after a certain amount of inactivity). They are more expensive though, especially with data.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

OilSlick posted:

All plans nowadays are share plans. Everyone picks an individual rate plan and they can link together to share minutes, data, and texts (assuming both parties have them) and free calls between members.

Is that only Bell? I can't find anything similar with Koodo or Virgin.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Crumbles posted:

So I finally got around to calling Rogers retentions....

After a little bit of haggling, they offered to bring my plan down $65/month before tax. The plan includes bare-bones voice, 6GB of data, and callerID + voicemail. No additional discount on the iPhone 5, just the same subsidy everyone else gets when signing a 3 year contract. I've been a Rogers mobile subscriber for 9 years. I'm going to sit on this for a few days and mull over switching to Wind and grabbing an S3. Gonna have to crunch some numbers and figure out if I still net a saving despite leaving the Wind zone pretty regularly. Any chance Rogers may call back in a while with a more interesting offer?

You should try negotiating again -- the credits on my old retention plan were expiring, so I switched to a newer plan with 200 anytime minutes, 6PM evenings, Canada-wide MY10, unlimited incoming, 100 LD minutes, unlimited text, CID, visual voicemail, and 6GB of LTE data for $51+tax. This sucks compared to what I used to have, too -- I was at $40+tax with the above, but 500 minutes and no MY10 before.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Is that only Bell? I can't find anything similar with Koodo or Virgin.

Looking at the Big 3 websites I'd say they all do it. It doesn't seem to mention it but I'd be extremely surprised if Bell was the only one doing it. I'd say it's assumed that they do. I'm not sure about Koodo to be honest. I think Rogers may have launched a new plan that's somewhat similar to the old way (one plan, two phones, pay to add extra lines) but their website is so awful I can't be bothered to try to browse it right now

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
GS3 is $0 on Telus Bell and Rogers right now

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

$0 on Telus and Bell. $0.01 on Rogers.

More proof that Rogers sucks.

But seriously, that seems like a pretty sweet deal. I guess the SGS4 really is just around the corner, though.

Speaking of the big three, I'll be interested in seeing which of them will have the Nokia 920 right from the get go.

Edit: VVV Yeah, that probably makes more sense. I remember reading about rumblings of an SGS4 announcement in February and I instinctively thought that that was just around the corner but in reality that's still like 5 months away!

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 28, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

terriyaki posted:

$0 on Telus and Bell. $0.01 on Rogers.

More proof that Rogers sucks.

But seriously, that seems like a pretty sweet deal. I guess the SGS4 really is just around the corner, though.

Speaking of the big three, I'll be interested in seeing which of them will have the Nokia 920 right from the get go.

Uh I doubt we'll be seeing the SGS4 for six months, dude. It's probably because of the iPhone launch.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Bell is offering "limited time" smartphone plans that are way better than the standard ones.

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Promotions/Fab_Promo_Plans

I was on Bell with a Galaxy Nexus that I got last November, with their basic $53 plan which has unlimited calling/text to 5 numbers, no caller ID, no voicemail. We stopped by the Bell store yesterday to switch my wife from Rogers and get a new iphone, and they put us both on the new $50 plan which has 10 unlimited calling numbers, unlimited texting, caller ID and voicemail included. Thank Christ, too, because a smartphone without caller ID is retarded, but I refused to pay extra for it on general principle.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^^^ In what universe are those good plans? Maybe I'm just shockingly out of touch with how shockingly out of touch our carriers are, but I think those plans are utterly poo poo.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah they're pretty bad. What bell is offering there for $75/month you could've gotten from Koodo back in August for $60, with even earlier weeknights (5pm start)

edit: Even now Koodo's 6GB offering is $65/month

https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
They're not good plans, this is Canada. I'm just pointing out that anyone who is on one of the equivalently-priced standard plans might want to switch to one of these. I was on a $53 plan that did not have unlimited texting, caller ID or voicemail and now I'm on a $50 plan that does. So now I almost have all the features I had with Bouygues for 20 Euros/month until I moved back to Canada last year and I'm only paying twice as much!

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Due to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't able to pay my rogers bill for a few months, and now that I have the money to pay, they're charging me a ton of interest. I only have a few months left in my contract, so I'm wondering if I might be able to leverage that into some sort of reduction on the bill I owe. Does anyone have any experience with this?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
In my experience the only way you get deals out of Rogers is if your account is in good standing. Out of curiosity, what's the interest rate they charge on late payments?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Yeah, seriously, late payment charges really aren't that much, are they? I don't know Bell's exact percentage, but it rarely adds up to more than a couple of bucks unless your bill is really super high. I know people who out of laziness only pay their bill every 2-3 months and just eat the late fees (not saying that's a good idea, but you see what I mean).

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm on Roger and an Iphone. My emails haven't been pushed/fetched for the last couple of days. I have to manually go the mail app to retreive my mail.
Haven't changed any settings on the phone or anything like that. It just stopped working. Any idea what caused this?
Yahoo mail if it matters.
Only thing I can of is, I had no service on my phone so I rebooted the phone and got service fine. That's about the same time as the email problem.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

iLikeMidgets posted:

I'm on Roger and an Iphone. My emails haven't been pushed/fetched for the last couple of days. I have to manually go the mail app to retreive my mail.
Haven't changed any settings on the phone or anything like that. It just stopped working. Any idea what caused this?
Yahoo mail if it matters.
Only thing I can of is, I had no service on my phone so I rebooted the phone and got service fine. That's about the same time as the email problem.

I use Yahoo mail as an SMTP server for outgoing mail (long, very nerdy story), and apparently if you don't log into Yahoo mail for three months, your account gets deactivated. Clearly my SMTP logins were not counted as logging in, because my account was deactivated last month, and my outgoing mail started to fail.

When is the last time you've logged in via the web?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

When is the last time you've logged in via the web?

I log in daily. I'm pretty much in a front of a computer all day so it's not a life or death issue. It's the fact that it's not working that's bothering me. And that I have to manually check emails when I'm from my computer.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

iLikeMidgets posted:

I log in daily. I'm pretty much in a front of a computer all day so it's not a life or death issue. It's the fact that it's not working that's bothering me. And that I have to manually check emails when I'm from my computer.

Well, it's definitely not the issue I experienced.

What is the time interval you have set for the mail app to fetch mail?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Well, it's definitely not the issue I experienced.

What is the time interval you have set for the mail app to fetch mail?

Push is on but fetch is manually.
I'm almost sure it was set to a time interval before but I know the settings hasn't been changed for awhile now.

I don't know anymore.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This Rogers waitlist thing is such a farce, not sure how any of it works. No weekly e-mails at all. Right now it's been showing in progress for about 3 days straight with no tracking number sent. It's all a big mystery as to when I will get my iPhone 5. The nice thing is that I am getting a $50 credit but the wait is now killing me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

This Rogers waitlist thing is such a farce, not sure how any of it works. No weekly e-mails at all. Right now it's been showing in progress for about 3 days straight with no tracking number sent. It's all a big mystery as to when I will get my iPhone 5. The nice thing is that I am getting a $50 credit but the wait is now killing me.

If the system is similar to Fido's last winter when I got a 4S, you won't hear anything until you get a phone call from the local shop you selected for pick up

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well speak of the devil, I received a text saying it shipped and a email with a tracking number.

Regardless, having to check every day myself with no e-mail updates is kinda cumbersome. But I suppose they expect people to check fervently since it's the iPhone 5. I know I checked like 5+ times a day.

"Oh my! I jumped 50 spots!"

"Holy poo poo, 900 spots, it's coming!"

That was me.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

If people aren't getting updates for a couple weeks, it's quite possible there are no updates.

I have literally never seen a black 16GB iPhone 5 ever enter our store.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My Bell ip5 order came in the day I left for 2 weeks for work, the girl at the store said I lose my phone and I have to wait for the next shipment.

Thats loving bullshit, I paid for the phone, it better loving be there when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlugelNull
Oct 30, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OilSlick posted:

If people aren't getting updates for a couple weeks, it's quite possible there are no updates.

I have literally never seen a black 16GB iPhone 5 ever enter our store.

I've seen dozens of black 16GB iPhone 5s every single time I've walked into a retailer. I keep getting cockblocked because they're for new activations only.

The only one available is at my local futureshop, but I'd rather wait since those guys are loving useless dicks. (and pretty rude too)

I reserved one on October 2nd at The source (:negative:) so now all I can do is wait. It was supposed to be here today but something got hosed up.