Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Jack

Jack I think you might be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Welp, Jack's in trouble now. I think we're about to see a proper good smackdown.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if he took the ring off and put it back on, he'd get his sword back. Well, it'd probably take too much time anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yes, Jack is fighting back.

Or, at least, he was.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
If you're wearing a ring, try taking it off without using your other hand. I'm not but I assume it'd be pretty annoying to do, though surely not impossible if nobody is distractingly rushing at you with a hammer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guessing the next couple of panels: Jack puts up his arm to launch Green/Red Miles in a fit of desperation, but John Hammers off his hand or arm before they can begin. And that will be that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

If you're wearing a ring, try taking it off without using your other hand. I'm not but I assume it'd be pretty annoying to do, though surely not impossible if nobody is distractingly rushing at you with a hammer.

Easy, use your mouth.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
And here I thought the coup de grace would come after PM sliced off Jack's ring finger from off-panel while he was distracted with John. If Jack can't just teleport the sword back like he did in Cascade, then this'll work, too.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

He's got tentacles for that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fighting a ferocious battle while standing on the severed hand of the universe itself is pretty badass.

Also, yes Jack is hosed.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Good points. (Real dogs don't have big flexible monkey lips like humans do, but who knows about video game boss dogs who also probably don't fret about their teeth as much as I do? Though it'd probably still be a bad idea to be careless about that in the middle of a fight, the more so the sharper the teeth are.)

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

As once mentioned by Hussie and shown in Cascade, Jack can still bring out his Jaspersprite tentacles at whim. I presume he could use this to remove his ring or snag his sword if he really needed to.

That is assuming Jack isn't just going to summon his sword back into his hand Thor-style like he has a few times in the past.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Honestly, I find it really hard to believe that Jack is going to die at all. It's in his nature to not ever die, despite everything wanting him dead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Everything else aside though, it really doesn't speak well of John's mental state that he is able to go from zero to full throttle MURDERMODEMURDERMODEMURDERMODE that easily nowadays.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'd be kind of fitting if John woke up literally right before he could deliver the final blow.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

It'd be kind of fitting if John woke up literally right before he could deliver the final blow.

I think this has a good chance of happening, yeah.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

I think this has a good chance of happening, yeah.

And then PM shows up behind him and sticks a sword through his chest.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Everything else aside though, it really doesn't speak well of John's mental state that he is able to go from zero to full throttle MURDERMODEMURDERMODEMURDERMODE that easily nowadays.

I dunno. This breakdown is definitely been a long, long, long time coming. It wouldn't surprise me if John stayed this way to a degree, but I think this is an extension of the straw breaking the camel's back and the camel going on a partially-adrenaline, partially-fury induced rampage against his parent's murderer.

In hindsight, that metaphor got away from me.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Oh no, Jack, watch out :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I doubt Jack is hosed. Not the least because it's be anticlimactic in terms of the narrative, but also because there's absolutely Caliborn's "Jack is my best loving friend" comment won't go somewhere. Of course, there are multiple Jacks, and he did fight another Jack before (Spades), so who knows.

I think this situation is going to lead into John getting humbled despite his mad skills here, which will, as I speculated either, lead to him doubling down on the "prep for arrival" thing.

It could also lead into John finally learning what the deal is with English, as I don't think the ship crew have any idea what they're dealing with, unlike the meteor crew.

Could be wrong, though.

Captain Oblivious posted:

When you wake up in a dream bubble, you wake up as your memories in that dream: you begin in the default dream state until something spurrs you out of it. In other words, John was just having a bubble dream about his dad, Rose's mom, and Rose dying. And he awoke to Jack being there. So his natural reaction is, again, to freak out.

Difference is, IRL John is more competent at his abilities than he was at the point in his dream. So even he's acting on the dream situation and impetus, he is not in the same place as his self was when he lived the moment that got him downed there originally.

John probably doesn't know he's in a dream bubble at the moment. Doesn't really matter, though.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 1, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've a feeling Jack is going to get trounced, but not offed. PM might even swoop in to save him with some sort of "ONLY I GET TO KILL HIM" shtick.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I think John will directly hit Jack with the dice hammer only for it to output the lowest loving damage possible (maybe all snake-eyes for extra hilarity) allowing Jack to get his stabs on afterwards :devil:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Midnight Raider posted:

As once mentioned by Hussie and shown in Cascade, Jack can still bring out his Jaspersprite tentacles at whim. I presume he could use this to remove his ring or snag his sword if he really needed to.

Close. Very, very close! Aaand now would be a good time for PM to enter the fray. Help a bro out, PM.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Man, what is even WITH Heirs getting strangled?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, go ahead, Jack. Strangle a Breath player. There's no way that'll fail in an unforeseen manner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Yeah -- I dunno why John just doesn't, like, use his WINDY POWERS to collapse the lungs of whoever he's fighting and asphyxiate them. Granted, if Equis's demise hadn't shown us the opposite was true, I would have said that people in this comic don't actually breathe, due to the fact that they seem to be able to exist in space and whatnot just fine. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much! :spergin:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Can I just say that the backgrounds in the past few updates have been totally killer? Especially that big tall one showing just the huge swath of destruction behind the platform John and Rose's bodies are on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah -- I dunno why John just doesn't, like, use his WINDY POWERS to collapse the lungs of whoever he's fighting and asphyxiate them. Granted, if Equis's demise hadn't shown us the opposite was true, I would have said that people in this comic don't actually breathe, due to the fact that they seem to be able to exist in space and whatnot just fine. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much! :spergin:

Players can't breathe in space, but the Medium, including the Furthest Ring, appears to be filled with something that is breathable and has a pleasant temperature. And which somehow doesn't ignite when meteors travel through it at lightspeed without noticeable relativistic effects.

I'm prepared to chalk it up to the influence of the dark gods.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

A good poster posted:

He's got tentacles for that.

Welp.

I really like this "epic battle" portrayed in frames rather than a flash. Has there been something like this before (bar Beta Vriksa)?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Zorak posted:

I doubt Jack is hosed. Not the least because it's be anticlimactic in terms of the narrative, but also because there's absolutely Caliborn's "Jack is my best loving friend" comment won't go somewhere. Of course, there are multiple Jacks, and he did fight another Jack before (Spades), so who knows.

I think this situation is going to lead into John getting humbled despite his mad skills here, which will, as I speculated either, lead to him doubling down on the "prep for arrival" thing.

It could also lead into John finally learning what the deal is with English, as I don't think the ship crew have any idea what they're dealing with, unlike the meteor crew.

Could be wrong, though.

When you wake up in a dream bubble, you wake up as your memories in that dream: you begin in the default dream state until something spurrs you out of it. In other words, John was just having a bubble dream about his dad, Rose's mom, and Rose dying. And he awoke to Jack being there. So his natural reaction is, again, to freak out.

Difference is, IRL John is more competent at his abilities than he was at the point in his dream. So even he's acting on the dream situation and impetus, he is not in the same place as his self was when he lived the moment that got him downed there originally.

John probably doesn't know he's in a dream bubble at the moment. Doesn't really matter, though.

The one thing I wonder is whether or not a person has any conscious or subconscious influence over what memory they start out with in a bubble. Between the tantrum John threw over Davesprite's "Dad" note, and the general lovely mood he seems to be in, I can't help but feel that this has been a recurring dream for him. Standing over the corpse of your father every night is not good for one's emotional well-being.

I agree though, that the best resolution to this little episode would be John getting dreamkilled by Jack, waking up in his driveway with a steely resolve in his eyes, apologizing to Jade for throwing a fit, and then getting serious about improving his skills.

Seoinin posted:

Can I just say that the backgrounds in the past few updates have been totally killer? Especially that big tall one showing just the huge swath of destruction behind the platform John and Rose's bodies are on.

You can, and I would agree. :respek:

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 1, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arthur Crackpot posted:

The one thing I wonder is whether or not a person has any conscious or subconscious influence over what memory they start out with in a bubble.

Probably no more influence than one has over an ordinary dream.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Speak of the devil's lovecraftian prehensile appendages.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Welp.

I really like this "epic battle" portrayed in frames rather than a flash. Has there been something like this before (bar Beta Vriksa)?

Some of Jack vs. Bro(Plus Davesprite) was actually portrayed similarly in the comic before the second half was animated in Jade: Enter, and I remember liking that sequence quite a bit as well.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder if choking a Breath player...

a) is impossible because of their breath power

or

b) completely cuts them off from their breath power

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm going to go with:

c.) A pretty bad idea, because the time it takes to suffocate somebody far exceeds the time it takes to take somebody's head off with a tornado.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I'm going to go with:

c.) A pretty bad idea, because the time it takes to suffocate somebody far exceeds the time it takes to take somebody's head off with a tornado.

I think MSPA runs on cinematic asphyxiation time, so it's more like 30 seconds followed immediately by death and none of that inconvenient business of having to throttle an unconscious person.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
The only way John wins here is if Vriska somehow joins the fight for a bit of two-on-one.

While that would be impossibly cool, I am also looking forward to seeing what interesting and innovative way John dies this time. :allears:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Roger Explosion posted:

The only way John wins here is if Vriska somehow joins the fight for a bit of two-on-one.

While that would be impossibly cool, I am also looking forward to seeing what interesting and innovative way John dies this time. :allears:
Betting on PM arriving, Jack absconding and John flipping the gently caress out at a white Bec Noir.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alternatively Jack just snaps his neck with a nice *anticlimax* sound effect :v:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I wonder if carapace people have ghosts.

In other news, it looks like we'll reach 2mil sometime tomorrow. New sticker sheets of the 10k fantrolls headed our way.

snucks fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Maybe if John took two years to level up his immunity to tentacles he wouldn't have this problem.