Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

rip roguestar and pik_d :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
my god

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Ian McLean posted:

I can click on google videos, or images, or books, or news, or shopping, but there is no search for statistics.

perhaps

there is a reason for this

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYvvKo0ELI

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 29, 2012

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
gas thread ban gloriousjawman

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
JawnV6 is more of an ideas guy, you see

Half the work's done already

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

I am attending school full time. Perhaps someone might want something to do outside work or something.

I personally enjoy working on statpedia. I find it to be very interesting, and rewarding.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can this thread still be about worthless kickstarters or is this just the ian mclean depreciation station?

cause well i found this list of terrible poo poo that i won't even describe, it speaks for itself

https://angel.co/done-deals

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
you should describe it because i cant be hosed to click on that link unless a bunch of people empty quote it

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
i clicked on it and i guess its things trying to get investments or something? it was boring so i just closed the tab. does not provide the instant laffs of kickstarter

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
its a bunch of lovely startups that got millions of dollars in funding from angel investors, which makes them much less mockable than kickstarters. but basically they seem to all be "[annoying trendy poo poo], but with [different user base]!"

art.sy "spotify for the art world"
kaggle "crowdsourcing predictive modelling" aka
duckduckgo "google but for even bigger spergs"

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
and iam mclean.. where does he fit in. well

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
i liked duckduckgo but then i realized i was relatively happy in my google echo chamber not getting fox news as first results

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

BooLoo posted:

i liked duckduckgo but then i realized i was relatively happy in my google echo chamber not getting fox news as first results

your search "bush is a bad president' has returned no results

did you mean "bush will conquer al queda?"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glennf/crowdfunding-a-guide-to-what-works-and-why

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hello, friends and well wishers!

I've decided to suspend the Crowdfunding book's project for now, given that it's unlikely to reach its funding goal. I learned an enormous amount in this process, and have terrific ideas about how to build an audience, reshape the project, and launch again.

lol
I was going to write a book about a subject but turns out I didn't know poo poo about it

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ironing is delicious

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone?ref=live

16 cores.

100 dollars.

still no loving idea what to do with it

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
if it's an open sores processor then it could mean a computer upgrade for rms i guess

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ironing

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

welcome home

you may call me "brother" now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

rip roguestar and pik_d :(

rip roguestar, free pik_d

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

yeah idk about this one

competent team, concrete vision, can legit deliver if funded

then they're doing shifty benchmarking, that chart that has a tenuous basis in reality, describing a bunch of hard algorithmic problems and assuming a new compute substrate would magically make that disappear

but what really irks me above all else is the unstated assumption that the branches of computer science and engineering dedicated to parallel computing are basically treading water until some slashdot script kiddie gets a $100 kit and cracks that nut

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

rip roguestar, free pik_d

and classicist
rip smileyglob

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Jun 1, 2010 17:18

:sigh:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

JawnV6 posted:

but what really irks me above all else is the unstated assumption that the branches of computer science and engineering dedicated to parallel computing are basically treading water until some slashdot script kiddie gets a $100 kit and cracks that nut

Isn't it more "these slashdot script kiddies will very soon have to learn parallel programming so they may as well make all their mistakes now so they don't create coding horrors in ten years time?"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

i mean they obviously still will but it's worth a shot

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
did you guys talk about the reaper minis kickstarter itt yet

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
because i bought it

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
so i can play dungeons and dragons with my friends

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i spent real-rear end money on that poo poo

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
kirk this troll is a little too obvious

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
no im telling the truth i will receive a box in march full of tiny figurines so that i can play pretend knights and dragons w/ my friends irl

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

kirk you won't receive anything

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

do you paint them yourselve like that warcraft 5000 thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

you got trickstartered

• Locked thread