Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So after messing around with it at work, I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my old netbook, mainly so I can mess around with it for fun. Unfortunately this netbook is slow as dogshit, does anyone know of any neat things can I do with it to optimize performance and make it a little more useable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ManSedan posted:

So after messing around with it at work, I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my old netbook, mainly so I can mess around with it for fun. Unfortunately this netbook is slow as dogshit, does anyone know of any neat things can I do with it to optimize performance and make it a little more useable?

Switch from Unity to XFCE, LXDE or something similar.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ManSedan posted:

Lubuntu and Xubuntu (LXDE and XFCE, respectively) are the goto "I'm using a slow netbook" flavors of Ubuntu these days.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Heads up, "Ubuntu GNOME Remix" has hit alpha. Download here.
Also good job Canonical for having a cert that requires an explicit exception!:thumbsup:
VVV Yeah listen to this dude VVV

angrytech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 3, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That alpha is reaaaaaaly an alpha. Unless you want to fix bugs and contribute, I wouldn't suggest playing with it. Glad to see they're getting there, though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's hard not to troll on this but how is Ubuntu Gnome not going to be just Ubuntu with even worse default applications?

You would think everything would integrate really easy and hardly anything needs to be done as Ubuntu already works (tm).

How does Ubuntu Gnome team manage relations with Gnome though? One item on the known issues list is amazing:

quote:

GNOME Shell is only at 3.5.4 because newer versions require GDM to be running. Most Ubuntu users currently running GNOME Shell use LightDM instead and it's not really feasible to make installing gnome-shell switch the default display manager.

So is this implying Ubuntu Gnome isn't fully Gnome stalwart? It is interesting wording: saying Gnome shell requires Gdm instead of some new API for whatever integration requirements have been determined. One would hope LightDM could be modified appropriately to work in place of Gdm.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The GNOME spin already includes GDM and uses it, but to maintain continuity with mainline Ubuntu and not require forked binaries it also needs to be compatible with LightDM. You can get the latest stuff from a GNOME PPA, but the GNOME stuff in the Canonical repositories will remain compatible with mainline.

Or, from the horse's mouth:

quote:

The Ubuntu GNOME remix will be using Nautilus 3.4 since that's what will be in the Ubuntu archives. For those that want the 3.6 stuff that doesn't make it into 12.10, there's always the GNOME3 PPA. Since our goal is to be an official recognized flavor, we can't use PPAs.

When you realize how many benefits come with being a sponsored derivative, it's worth it for a few of the default components to be less than fresh than for the install to include the appropriate PPA automatically.

Not every spin needs to be the be-all install for everyone. This is a pretty good concept for people who would like to run off to Fedora or Debian or somesuch but find themselves drawn to Ubuntu for it's widespread desktop support. Those other two aren't quite as enjoyable on the bleeding edge.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 4, 2012

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My only computer now is a netbook(asus 1000he). When I originally got it I split it with a preview version of Win7 and linux. I've since replaced Win7 with XP when it timed out. Now that its my only computer I'd like to give it a bit more room on the XP side.
I was thinking I could just delete the Ubuntu partition, stretch the drive under computer management and reinstall on a smaller partition but my boot loader seems to be a little funny after the installs of windows. Grub shows Windows 7 but in Windows if I run EasyBCD it just says 'earlier version of Windows'.
No CD drive so I can't just stick a win cd in and fix it.
Any other solutions I can try at this point?

E: Basically I'm afraid if I just delete the Ubuntu partition I wont be able to boot at all.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 4, 2012

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

OgNar posted:

E: Basically I'm afraid if I just delete the Ubuntu partition I wont be able to boot at all.

You're right; this is what will happen.

Can you run fixmbr and/or fixboot from your XP install? If you're able to replace GRUB with XP's bootloader using those utilities, then it should be safe to delete the Ubuntu partition.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
How do I make windows not "stick" to the edge of the screen so much?

"Displays -> Sticky Edges" has nothing to do with it (that is something multi-monitor thing).

"Compiz -> Window Management -> Snapping Windows" has nothing to do with it (that makes the window snap to the edge, not stick to it).

If I am dragging windows around, they will "stick" to the edge of the screen, so when I try to drag them away, I have to move my mouse almost half a screen away before the edge will "lets go" of the window.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
"Snapping Windows" has some "edge resistance" settings. Those are for how hard it resists being pulled off. Edit: At least, I think.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fourwood posted:

"Snapping Windows" has some "edge resistance" settings. Those are for how hard it resists being pulled off. Edit: At least, I think.

I disabled Snapping Windows and Sticky Edges. Things still "stick". :(

Edit:

It's not doing it on a system that boots straight to Ubuntu, so I'm guessing it may be an issue with VMware Fusion.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has any one managed to install 12.10 with disk encryption? When I tick the disk encryption box in the installer, I can't get past the next screen titled "Choose a security key". There are no dialog boxes to enter a key, and the Next button is not accessible.

edit: I had to manually delete the existing LUKS partitions on the disk before the installer worked.

other people fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 7, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Ahhh. I have tried to install both 12.04 and 12.10 and they fail during the install with "grub-efi package failed to install into /target/" or something like that during the last leg of the installation. I have tried letting the installer use the entire disk and partition it as it likes and partitioning it myself.

It is a laptop, single 16gb sata ssd, using a usb stick as the install media.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a hard time installing Lubuntu 12.04 at all. So far on two different sets of very different hardware, the installer from the live CD installer eventually just hangs. The cursor is the little circle with ants running around in it, I can still click on stuff and move around the GUI normally, but the OS isn't actually installed.

My idea now is to try installing 11.10 and updates from there. Do I need to bother with all the available updates to get it up to 'current' before I upgrade to 12.04.1 or will it matter if I upgrade straight from the live CD install and then apply all the updates on 12.04?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I just made the jump from 10.04 to 12.04, and I'm liking it so far, but there's one issue I'm running into. About 1 time in 4, when I close my laptop lid to put it to sleep, it won't wake up properly. I'll get a black screen, and maybe a flash of the background for a second, with a mouse cursor on it. It seems like I can possibly sign in and interact with whatever's going on in the background, since the cursor will change and the hard drive light will flicker depending on what I do. I've tried pulling up the terminal blind and doing "sudo shutdown -r now", but it doesn't seem to work and I have to power it off by holding the power button to restart it.

My computer is a Thinkpad T61, nothing fancy, Intel graphics card. I'm not really sure where to start tracking this down. Any ideas?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
That happens to me on my Dell laptop. I can use ctrl+alt+f1 to switch to a prompt and reboot from there. This only seemed to start with 12.04... The last, like, 3-4 releases slept just fine.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

fourwood posted:

That happens to me on my Dell laptop. I can use ctrl+alt+f1 to switch to a prompt and reboot from there. This only seemed to start with 12.04... The last, like, 3-4 releases slept just fine.

Somehow I completely forgot about being able to switch to a terminal, and that does work fine. While doing some looking on an unrelated issue, I ran into a bug report for this same issue. It looks like it's related to Intel drivers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/966744

Also looks like restarting lightdm will put you back to a usable desktop, and is at least faster than restarting the whole machine.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My parents have a weird graphics glitch after I upgraded their PC to 12.04. All of the text gets garbled, on the unity menus, in firefox, the terminal, everywhere yet graphics are fine. They say it happens after they switch users. Logging out and logging back in fixes the issue. Try as hard as I might (switching users dozens of times) I can't reproduce the bug. Since I can't reproduce it, does this mean I probably shouldn't bother reporting it even though I have screenshots?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

keyvin posted:

My parents have a weird graphics glitch after I upgraded their PC to 12.04. All of the text gets garbled, on the unity menus, in firefox, the terminal, everywhere yet graphics are fine. They say it happens after they switch users. Logging out and logging back in fixes the issue. Try as hard as I might (switching users dozens of times) I can't reproduce the bug. Since I can't reproduce it, does this mean I probably shouldn't bother reporting it even though I have screenshots?

Is your hardware the same as theirs? Specifically the graphics card and drivers?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

Somehow I completely forgot about being able to switch to a terminal, and that does work fine. While doing some looking on an unrelated issue, I ran into a bug report for this same issue. It looks like it's related to Intel drivers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/966744

Also looks like restarting lightdm will put you back to a usable desktop, and is at least faster than restarting the whole machine.

This is exactly what I've been doing on my x61.

- Boot into failsafe terminal
- sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

Login and all works fine. It's a bummer though when Chrome won't recover any open tabs.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Longinus00 posted:

Is your hardware the same as theirs? Specifically the graphics card and drivers?

No, my hardware isn't the same. It's a 7 year old p4 box so it has some kind of intel gma I'd wager. Its a shame I've recycled all of my old AGP video cards, because now I don't have any way to trouble shoot.

Its really not a big deal since it takes all of four seconds to fix, and it happens maybe once or twice a week. Believe it or not this is the first bug I've encountered with ubuntu that wasn't the result of my installing software without using apt.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Lysidas posted:

You're right; this is what will happen.

Can you run fixmbr and/or fixboot from your XP install? If you're able to replace GRUB with XP's bootloader using those utilities, then it should be safe to delete the Ubuntu partition.

I know this was a few weeks ago , but to follow up. I finally just realized that I can just reinstall Ubuntu from a thumb drive and reformat the Ubuntu partition I had into two and use the last part to reinstall. I'm reformatting the first part of the of partition now as a 2nd Xp partition.

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
I installed Ubuntu through wubi.exe and really wanted the 64-bit version but I didn't see the option and I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the 32-bit install. It's not a major deal, as its running fine and its just my work computer, but I'd feel better having the 64-bit version.

Is there a way that I can choose?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apok posted:

I installed Ubuntu through wubi.exe and really wanted the 64-bit version but I didn't see the option and I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the 32-bit install. It's not a major deal, as its running fine and its just my work computer, but I'd feel better having the 64-bit version.

Is there a way that I can choose?

Is the OS on your work computer 64-bit? I thought by default wubi pulled down the 64-bit version of Ubuntu but you could use the 32-bit version if you manually downloaded it and told it to install that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I have some sound issues, again. I'm running the newest Mythbuntu, which is based on 12.04. My tv broke and is currently being serviced. For a laugh, I decided to try using my old 17-inch monitor as a stand-in for a while, just in case I want to watch the news or something.

The problem is: I get no sound at all. The computer is connected via HDMI to a home theather receiver, which is then connected via HDMI->DVI adapter to my monitor.

It's the same setup as with my tv, except with the tv, it's HDMI all the way.

I always used the receiver as my sound output, the tv was muted.

What I imagine is happening is that the sound driver notices that the monitor has no sound output and disables the audio output.

Is there a way to force audio output over HDMI even if the monitor is incabable of outputting it?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
I'm already looking forward to 13.04. I'm using Quantal on all of my machines and have been since the Nvidia closed-source driver was usable. Now that 12.10 is converging toward a stable release, there aren't any crazy "replace every package and break the system" updates anymore, and it just doesn't feel right.

I also can't wait until the system installation of Python is the newly-released 3.3, which I'm guessing was released too late to make it into Quantal as the default Python 3 version.

Side note: I think it's really neat that the plan for 12.10 is to only install Python 3 by default, but the daily CD images still have 2.7 in addition to 3.2. I wonder whether it'll actually happen.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Lysidas posted:

I'm already looking forward to 13.04. I'm using Quantal on all of my machines and have been since the Nvidia closed-source driver was usable. Now that 12.10 is converging toward a stable release, there aren't any crazy "replace every package and break the system" updates anymore, and it just doesn't feel right.

I also can't wait until the system installation of Python is the newly-released 3.3, which I'm guessing was released too late to make it into Quantal as the default Python 3 version.

Side note: I think it's really neat that the plan for 12.10 is to only install Python 3 by default, but the daily CD images still have 2.7 in addition to 3.2. I wonder whether it'll actually happen.

Last I checked there weren't very many programs left to be ported over to 3.x. I assume that the number has declined since then.
As for 13.04, I want to see Wayland in action so badly that it's not even funny.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I've got a question. I'm SSHing into a linux box (running 12.04) using KiTTY (a PuTTY fork). I use tmux, and I can't for the life of me get ls to output colors (either in or out of tmux). I'm using the Solarized Dark color scheme.

My .bash_profile contains the following:

code:
export CLICOLOR=1
export GREP_OPTIONS="--color=auto"
export TERM="xterm-256color"
My .tmux.conf contains the following:

code:
set -g default-terminal "screen-256color"
Now, when I login and echo $TERM, I see xterm-256color as expected. And when I tput colors, I see 256 as expected. However, when I echo $TERM from within tmux, I still see xterm-256color and not the expected screen-256color. It's like tmux isn't even reading .tmux.conf. I even tried removing the export TERM line in .bash_profile, but then echo $TERM from within tmux outputs screen, and it's only outputting 8 colors instead of 256. What's up with that?

Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be seeing the different colors when I ls? I was hoping it was a color issue (before explicitly setting TERM, tput colors was 8). vim properly shows colors, but I don't know why ls won't.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 8, 2012

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

you ate my cat posted:

I just made the jump from 10.04 to 12.04, and I'm liking it so far, but there's one issue I'm running into. About 1 time in 4, when I close my laptop lid to put it to sleep, it won't wake up properly. I'll get a black screen, and maybe a flash of the background for a second, with a mouse cursor on it. It seems like I can possibly sign in and interact with whatever's going on in the background, since the cursor will change and the hard drive light will flicker depending on what I do. I've tried pulling up the terminal blind and doing "sudo shutdown -r now", but it doesn't seem to work and I have to power it off by holding the power button to restart it.

My computer is a Thinkpad T61, nothing fancy, Intel graphics card. I'm not really sure where to start tracking this down. Any ideas?

I can reproduce that symptom by turning the backlight off with the keyboard then cycling sleep mode. I must authenticate using the dark LCD before I can raise the backlight level with the keyboard. Keyboard shortcuts, such as the backlight, do not work at either the lock or login screens for me. Maybe these two issues are related?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Fangs404 posted:

I've got a question. I'm SSHing into a linux box (running 12.04) using KiTTY (a PuTTY fork). I use tmux, and I can't for the life of me get ls to output colors (either in or out of tmux). I'm using the Solarized Dark color scheme.

code:
export CLICOLOR=1

code:
Now, when I login and echo $TERM, I see xterm-256color as expected. And when I tput colors, I see 256 as expected. However, when I echo $TERM from within tmux, I still see xterm-256color and not the expected screen-256color. It's like tmux isn't even reading .tmux.conf. I even tried removing the export TERM line in .bash_profile, but then echo $TERM from within tmux outputs screen, and it's only outputting 8 colors instead of 256. What's up with that?

Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be seeing the different colors when I ls? I was hoping it was a color issue (before explicitly setting TERM, tput colors was 8). vim properly shows colors, but I don't know why ls won't.

'ls --color' is normally aliased to 'ls' but if you've been mucking around in your bash.profile, maybe you accidentally took it out?

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

You'd probably be better off filing a bug, since the bug report will submit your hardware details. It will probably be marked as a duplicate of another bug -- which is fine, at least you'll know what the bug is and can be notified of an imminent fix.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Wheany posted:

I have some sound issues, again. I'm running the newest Mythbuntu, which is based on 12.04. My tv broke and is currently being serviced. For a laugh, I decided to try using my old 17-inch monitor as a stand-in for a while, just in case I want to watch the news or something.

The problem is: I get no sound at all. The computer is connected via HDMI to a home theather receiver, which is then connected via HDMI->DVI adapter to my monitor.

It's the same setup as with my tv, except with the tv, it's HDMI all the way.

I always used the receiver as my sound output, the tv was muted.

What I imagine is happening is that the sound driver notices that the monitor has no sound output and disables the audio output.

Is there a way to force audio output over HDMI even if the monitor is incabable of outputting it?

Your problem lies elsewhere. The reason is that the receiver is first in accepting the HDMI signal, so any handshaking reports the capabilities of the receiver, not the destination display.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fangs404 posted:

code:
export CLICOLOR=1

code:

I don't know what $CLICOLOR is, but check what $LS_COLORS is. In my shell config I check for $TMUX and then set the terminal to screen-256color and then also eval dircolors -b. Also it looks like setting default-terminal will only affect new windows, so that might be an incorrect way of setting $TERM.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've been running Ubuntu and then XFCE on my work/school laptop for about 3 years and now the media PC needs a system upgrade. I tried Ubuntu 12.04 but I don't like the look, now I've got Mint on it and it's OK but it's not quite right. I can't really put my finger on what it is.

I'd like it to be simple, stable and easy to navigate. Is there somewhere that has a look & feel comparison of distros? The sites I've found say "If you're new to linux, you want this; if you're a hacker, you want this..." The last survey I took recommended OpenSUSE and Fedora.

The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX620: P4 3.2 Ghz, 1GB RAM. I've got all of my music and videos on it so I want to play that and also browse the internet and stream video. Anyone have a favourite distro they recommend?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

greazeball posted:

The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX620: P4 3.2 Ghz, 1GB RAM. I've got all of my music and videos on it so I want to play that and also browse the internet and stream video. Anyone have a favourite distro they recommend?

Try an LXDE distro? I use Lubuntu on a laptop with worse specs and it works fine. Look & feel wise it's set up like the standard windows desktop style from 95-2k, but prettier.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

greazeball posted:

I've been running Ubuntu and then XFCE on my work/school laptop for about 3 years and now the media PC needs a system upgrade. I tried Ubuntu 12.04 but I don't like the look, now I've got Mint on it and it's OK but it's not quite right. I can't really put my finger on what it is.

I'd like it to be simple, stable and easy to navigate. Is there somewhere that has a look & feel comparison of distros? The sites I've found say "If you're new to linux, you want this; if you're a hacker, you want this..." The last survey I took recommended OpenSUSE and Fedora.

I would recommend grabbing the Ubuntu Minimal CD and then installing only the packages you want.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

Or if you like XFCE maybe just get Xubuntu.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

'ls --color' is normally aliased to 'ls' but if you've been mucking around in your bash.profile, maybe you accidentally took it out?

hifi posted:

I don't know what $CLICOLOR is, but check what $LS_COLORS is. In my shell config I check for $TMUX and then set the terminal to screen-256color and then also eval dircolors -b. Also it looks like setting default-terminal will only affect new windows, so that might be an incorrect way of setting $TERM.

Thanks guys. I restored the default .bashrc, and I also had to go under Connection -> Data in the KiTTY/PuTTY options and change "terminal-type string" from xterm to xterm-256color. Now I'm at least getting the correct terminals. Also, it seems like tmux doesn't automatically read .tmux.conf. I had to do tmux source-file ~/.tmux.conf for tmux to read the conf file.

However, I'm still not seeing colors. $LS_COLORS is correctly set, and dircolors -b correctly returns the colors it's set at. I was correctly seeing colors at my work computer, so I'm thinking it's gotta be a KiTTY configuration issue.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fangs404 posted:

Thanks guys. I restored the default .bashrc, and I also had to go under Connection -> Data in the KiTTY/PuTTY options and change "terminal-type string" from xterm to xterm-256color. Now I'm at least getting the correct terminals. Also, it seems like tmux doesn't automatically read .tmux.conf. I had to do tmux source-file ~/.tmux.conf for tmux to read the conf file.

However, I'm still not seeing colors. $LS_COLORS is correctly set, and dircolors -b correctly returns the colors it's set at. I was correctly seeing colors at my work computer, so I'm thinking it's gotta be a KiTTY configuration issue.

try 'which ls' and make sure that reports "ls --color=auto". As for the terminal emulator I don't use kitty but there are color options in putty under Window > Color, and make sure the "allow terminal to use ..." options are bolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

hifi posted:

try 'which ls' and make sure that reports "ls --color=auto".

Did you try this? which does not process aliases in this way.

code:
$ cat /etc/lsb-release 
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"
$ which ls
/bin/ls
$ alias | grep ls
alias l='ls -CF'
alias la='ls -A'
alias ll='ls -alF'