Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's the name of the old cartoon where the main character (a child) could communicate only via gimmicky sound effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to have YouTube buffer a 1080-resolution video without having it full-screened? I just tried with a video of the August coronal mass ejection, and even after setting it to full screen and pausing, when I came back, it was set to 360.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

What's the name of the old cartoon where the main character (a child) could communicate only via gimmicky sound effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsyQDmEopw

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

hooah posted:

Is there a way to have YouTube buffer a 1080-resolution video without having it full-screened? I just tried with a video of the August coronal mass ejection, and even after setting it to full screen and pausing, when I came back, it was set to 360.

Click the cog, set it to 1080 and walk away. And then hope flash isn't being capricious and only loads 30s.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sweet, thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Raimundus posted:

But if it's a health issue, I guess I'll just wash them.

It's really not, of course there is a possibility of something but it's probably in the realm of statistically insignificant.

Outside of undergarments and 2nd hand clothing, of course.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is Prague known for its amazing orchestras or something? Nearly every time I try to find an orchestral version of a song, a group in Prague has done it -- usually very well.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The best orchestral players in any given country will tend to rise to the top and form very good orchestras. Orchestras from "Eastern Europe" are no exception, and they are usually significantly cheaper than the best US or UK or Western Europe groups.

So often, if a rock band or other contemporary musical outfit want to have an orchestra for a recording they'll get a very good ensemble from Czech Republic or Hungary or somewhere in that region for comparative pennies.

Edit: This may be an overly simplistic explanation but my stepdad is a conductor who has worked a lot with an orchestra in Hungary and this is the impression I get from him.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 29, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It's not so much that I'm surprised that it's an Eastern European country as it is that... well, every time I look up some pop or theme song, it's been covered by an orchestra in Prague in concert. I guess my real question is, do people in Prague love going to see concerts of orchestral covers of pop/theme songs? Is this just a weird confirmation bias?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

tarepanda posted:

It's not so much that I'm surprised that it's an Eastern European country as it is that... well, every time I look up some pop or theme song, it's been covered by an orchestra in Prague in concert. I guess my real question is, do people in Prague love going to see concerts of orchestral covers of pop/theme songs? Is this just a weird confirmation bias?
Prague is a pretty old, cultured city with a pretth vibrant concert scene, yeah. Not really more than other European capital cities though. The Czech republic isn't a weird backwards Soviet Bloc country or anying, it has borders with Germany. I think it's technically classed as Eastern Europe but it's far from Kazakhstan or something.

But I think they've made a push to market themselves as the cheaper alternative to a lot of "bigger" historical European cities like Paris or Berlin or Vienna. A lot of movies get filmed there and maybe there's a similar deal with orchestras and the way they charge for performance rights, appearance fees, taxes etc. That's my guess anyway.

Or maybe it's just a cultural thing that Czechs happen to like pops orchestras doing arrangements of songs. I can see a Berlin or Vienna orchestra getting a bit sniffy at that sort of thing.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is there any way to overlap two maps over each other with the same scale? I want to compare Belgium to Los Angeles County.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fragrag posted:

Is there any way to overlap two maps over each other with the same scale? I want to compare Belgium to Los Angeles County.

Well, here's what I get with Google Maps and MS Paint. Hopefully the highlight around the edges of LA are good enough.

There's those two big islands that are part of LA too. They're placed in the proper distance for the scale from LA itself, and LA and Belgium are both shown at the same scale on this.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Fragrag posted:

MapFrappe lets you compare maps by tracing on one Google map, overlaying the tracing on another Google map. Like Australia to Africa, or Alcatraz to Liberty Island.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

onionradish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 29, 2012

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
What's the easiest way to convert bulk text into hyphenated text, by syllable?

I'm having a tough time finding a soluation to this through Google. Basically, I sometimes get work that involves rewriting text with the proper syllable hyphens, and I'm wondering if there is some site that will convert this for me automatically or some way that common/free software will do this. Example:

I get the test: "This is an awesome and hilarious test sentence. Please convert properly." I need to convert it to "This is an awe-some and hi-lar-i-ous test sen-tence. Please con-vert prop-er-ly."

If anyone has an answer to this I will owe you one, because in the meantime I've spent too many tedious slow hours of my life doing this manually with a dictionary for reference.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Does this work? I couldn't find Word plugins or anything, but that website seemed to work for the small selections I put through it.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

TheGame posted:

Does this work? I couldn't find Word plugins or anything, but that website seemed to work for the small selections I put through it.

Oh hells yeah, THANK YOU! That seems to do the trick. Good lord this will save me so much time in the future, thanks!

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Raimundus posted:

Is it generally necessary to wash new clothes before wearing them?
I'm late to chime in, but I used to not wash new clothes for this reason. One day, I was in the store and saw a man blow his nose on a blouse in the women's section. Other people are nasty. Take no risks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hoops posted:

Prague is a pretty old, cultured city with a pretth vibrant concert scene, yeah. Not really more than other European capital cities though. The Czech republic isn't a weird backwards Soviet Bloc country or anying, it has borders with Germany. I think it's technically classed as Eastern Europe but it's far from Kazakhstan or something.

Kazakhstan may be eastern and ex-soviet, but it is not European. The Czech Republic is very much Eastern Europe, though I think it's getting on a bit better than some of the other countries.
And for the original question: Aside from what has been mentioned, there's the historical thing, where Prague was actually a major European capital before all that world war stuff, and as such had a lot of skilled musicians and concert halls, and the tradition is probably carried on by one dude leaving the orchestra and a new guy joining, so the orchestras survive with high standards. The Soviets probably encouraged them as well, since symphonic music is all about everyone pulling their load for the greater good of the piece, just like the ideal society.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Install Gentoo posted:

Well, here's what I get with Google Maps and MS Paint. Hopefully the highlight around the edges of LA are good enough.

There's those two big islands that are part of LA too. They're placed in the proper distance for the scale from LA itself, and LA and Belgium are both shown at the same scale on this.

Thanks a lot, though not exactly what I need.

onionradish posted:

MapFrappe lets you compare maps by tracing on one Google map, overlaying the tracing on another Google map. Like Australia to Africa, or Alcatraz to Liberty Island.

Wonderful, thanks! This is pretty much perfect. I just went on a trip to Los Angeles and because everything is in miles in the States, I never really had a full grasp on the scale between Los Angeles and Belgium. Looking at this map, it's kinda ridiculous that I would have had to pay $80 for an Amtrak from San Diego to Los Angeles while I would pay $30 for the same distance in Belgium.

EDIT: For those curious: http://mapfrappe.com/index.html?show=6729

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 30, 2012

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

BonHair posted:

The Czech Republic is very much Eastern Europe, though I think it's getting on a bit better than some of the other countries.

Just don't tell a Czech that, they're very adamant about being central European. :)

Now then, I have a fishing-related question I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I live in Prague, but the last few months I've been in the south, Moravia, with my girlfriend's family.

Her grandfather is quite amazing and has worked extremely hard his entire life. His one love is fishing, which he doesn't get the chance to do very often, and he has a dream of going fishing in Russia with some of his friends or something.

In order to do so, and to catch the sort of fish he wants he feels he needs a special pole, and that the US is the only place to get one. At least that's what I've gotten from our conversations, my czech isn't amazing.

I just opened a new company and am hoping to have some extra cash and i'd love to buy this for him and get it shipped over in time for Christmas. Unfortunately I know gently caress all about fishing poles, the best place to get it, and what brand/model I should get that fits his requirements. I've seen the fishing sites but I can't seem to navigate them or find the kind of pole he wants.

He wants something around 5 meters / 15-16 foot long, with a rod/reel that can support a fish up to 220 pounds/100 kilos, that can support the fishing line needed to heave one of those fuckers out of the water.

With those requirements I'm guessing this isn't a pole you would hold and is probably mounted? Though I could be wrong and maybe fisherman are retardedly strong.

Would really love any help anyone could give so I can make an old cool guy happy. Recommendation on the pole and/or the preferred brand would be amazing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I went clubbing last night and my right ear was and is sounding super muffled and has a really annoying ringing. The fact I've had it for about 10 hours and it still hasn't gone away has me quite worried.

How normal is this? Is my hearing tinnitussed and hosed forever? :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

LG's Android phones are notoriously terrible (even compared to other Android phones) and on top of that the Optimus V is a budget device, so support from them might as well be non-existent. The owner of my company (a cheapass) has one and sometimes it thinks it can't get a signal and gets really hot and runs down the battery. If you want to trigger some PTSD, go in the phone thread and ask if you should buy an LG G2X.

That other guy did post in the phone thread and I gave him what I hope is some helpful information. :shrug:

But the phone thread recommended it to me in the first place :cry:

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I'm looking to buy a new slim bifold wallet. Does any one know any websites with some cool wallets like this?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I went clubbing last night and my right ear was and is sounding super muffled and has a really annoying ringing. The fact I've had it for about 10 hours and it still hasn't gone away has me quite worried.

How normal is this? Is my hearing tinnitussed and hosed forever? :ohdear:

I had the same thing once. If it persists for more than a week, go see a doctor. For me, it disappeared after several days so don't panic yet.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Envy Insanity posted:

Just don't tell a Czech that, they're very adamant about being central European. :)

Now then, I have a fishing-related question I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I live in Prague, but the last few months I've been in the south, Moravia, with my girlfriend's family.

Her grandfather is quite amazing and has worked extremely hard his entire life. His one love is fishing, which he doesn't get the chance to do very often, and he has a dream of going fishing in Russia with some of his friends or something.

In order to do so, and to catch the sort of fish he wants he feels he needs a special pole, and that the US is the only place to get one. At least that's what I've gotten from our conversations, my czech isn't amazing.

I just opened a new company and am hoping to have some extra cash and i'd love to buy this for him and get it shipped over in time for Christmas. Unfortunately I know gently caress all about fishing poles, the best place to get it, and what brand/model I should get that fits his requirements. I've seen the fishing sites but I can't seem to navigate them or find the kind of pole he wants.

He wants something around 5 meters / 15-16 foot long, with a rod/reel that can support a fish up to 220 pounds/100 kilos, that can support the fishing line needed to heave one of those fuckers out of the water.

With those requirements I'm guessing this isn't a pole you would hold and is probably mounted? Though I could be wrong and maybe fisherman are retardedly strong.

Would really love any help anyone could give so I can make an old cool guy happy. Recommendation on the pole and/or the preferred brand would be amazing.

Do you know what kind of fish they'll be going after and what kind of water (lake, sea, river) he'll be fishing in? It makes a big difference if he's going after big catfish in a river vs sport fishing in the ocean vs fly fishing for huge salmon. Even if the pole is huge and the fish are enormous, he may well be holding the rod too. They've got harnesses for that and they're hilarious looking.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fragrag posted:

I had the same thing once. If it persists for more than a week, go see a doctor. For me, it disappeared after several days so don't panic yet.

Also wear earplugs next time. Being in loud environments repeatedly without hearing protection will eventually cause permanent damage to your hearing.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

Eat This Glob posted:

Do you know what kind of fish they'll be going after and what kind of water (lake, sea, river) he'll be fishing in? It makes a big difference if he's going after big catfish in a river vs sport fishing in the ocean vs fly fishing for huge salmon. Even if the pole is huge and the fish are enormous, he may well be holding the rod too. They've got harnesses for that and they're hilarious looking.

Hey thanks! I'm going to call him tomorrow and try to find out more information. I swear to god I hope it's the harness because I would never stop laughing seeing him wear it.

I'll post more info after the call, thanks again!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Eggplant Wizard posted:

But the phone thread recommended it to me in the first place :cry:

You've clearly been the victim of a complex mod sassing conspiracy.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

NarwhalParty posted:

I'm late to chime in, but I used to not wash new clothes for this reason. One day, I was in the store and saw a man blow his nose on a blouse in the women's section. Other people are nasty. Take no risks.

Did you alert the store staff?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Broadfall trousers are part of often "plain dress" - why? What is so fancy about a button fly?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

I'm looking to buy a new slim bifold wallet. Does any one know any websites with some cool wallets like this?

There was recently (might still be going) ad at the bottom of the site about thin wallets.

Edit: Looks like the ad is gone but here is the SA Mart Thread.

I have not bought one of these so i cannot tell you the quality but I am sure you can read that thread to find out.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 1, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
On the calorie count for sugar free gum it usually says something around 5 calories per stick. Is that the calorie count of all the "sugar" (and let's face it, saliva) that you are ingesting or is that counting as if you were to swallow the piece of gum?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

On the calorie count for sugar free gum it usually says something around 5 calories per stick. Is that the calorie count of all the "sugar" (and let's face it, saliva) that you are ingesting or is that counting as if you were to swallow the piece of gum?

Chewing it as intended.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

The internet package I'm considering getting has a 350gb "useage allowance". I do a LOT of streaming (netflix etc) and gaming. In laymans terms, how much useage is 350gb?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sir Jebus posted:

The internet package I'm considering getting has a 350gb "useage allowance". I do a LOT of streaming (netflix etc) and gaming. In laymans terms, how much useage is 350gb?

Here's Netflix bandwidth costs:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401

Playing online games uses next to nothing when compared to streaming movies, maybe 50MB/hour if you're using voice chat.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sir Jebus posted:

The webpage Doctor rear end in a top hat posted says 3.6GB on average for a 2 hour HD movie. Let's round that down to 3.5GB, which gives us 200 hours. So you'd have to watch 6-7 hours of HD Netflix a day to hit the cap on that alone.

The simple and only issue is, the cap is for torrenters, no more, no less. If you don't bittorrent, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, then you'll have to watch your bandwidth consumption.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Golbez posted:

The webpage Doctor rear end in a top hat posted says 3.6GB on average for a 2 hour HD movie. Let's round that down to 3.5GB, which gives us 200 hours. So you'd have to watch 6-7 hours of HD Netflix a day to hit the cap on that alone.

The simple and only issue is, the cap is for torrenters, no more, no less. If you don't bittorrent, you have nothing to worry about. If you do, then you'll have to watch your bandwidth consumption.

That sounds like bullshit to me, I have never heard of an ISP only counting P2P towards your account limit, partly because they'd have to filter every single bit of traffic they handle to detect it and also because there are a lot of legitimate uses for P2P/torrent systems (I believe WoW uses something similar to torrenting for updating itself, etc.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Experto Crede posted:

That sounds like bullshit to me, I have never heard of an ISP only counting P2P towards your account limit, partly because they'd have to filter every single bit of traffic they handle to detect it and also because there are a lot of legitimate uses for P2P/torrent systems (I believe WoW uses something similar to torrenting for updating itself, etc.)
He means that 350GB is plenty for normal usage, and you're only likely to go over if you're running torrents.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I have 100gb. If I don't torrent anything, it is more than enough for 3 people who could be considered "heavy users".

If I do torrent, it is insufficient.

I think this is what Golbez meant - if you aren't torrenting, you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Oh, I see, apologies :blush: