Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's something cool I just got:

The flexibook release of Deerhoof's (really loving great) Breakup Song. It's six one-sided flexidiscs bound together, with the album and a bonus track. I guess since I was one of the first 50 orders, my copy came signed by the band.

Hell yes, #27! (crappy night shots incoming!)

Also, some other recent additions:

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

I kind of assume that they don't need an introduction, but I have to say this is my favorite of their albums. Songs like Sound Check are what I love most about Gorillaz, and they kinda left that style behind them. Still great though.

And I also got the Donnie Darko OST and The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue OST from the fantastic Death Waltz Records. Sorry about the sideways picture, Imgur's rotation function isn't working.

They're both on coloured vinyl (blue and green, respectively) and limited to 200 copies. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

^^ http://interpolnyc.com/

I got it like 3 years ago for 15 bucks, but just look at that second disc. I'm getting it mostly for that.

I'm having difficulty confirming that the second LP will have the bonus tracks, but everything seems to indicate it. It's not like the album needs 2LPs. And it says 'Never before released on vinyl' at Interlude so, I'm pretty drat certain.

They could've worded it more clearly though.

30 bucks ain't bad. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in a week or so. I just spun my copy of the album- holy poo poo Paul Banks is just the worst lyricist. I mean, I already knew that, but drat. I still love it, though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

30 bucks ain't bad. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel about it in a week or so. I just spun my copy of the album- holy poo poo Paul Banks is just the worst lyricist. I mean, I already knew that, but drat. I still love it, though.

His lyrics are terrible, but terribly Paul Banks. I don't cringe at them as much as go, 'yep, those are some Paul Banks lyrics alright'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

traveling midget posted:

...where do I buy it?

Also look what came today:

I just got home and found out that my girlfriend failed to mention that Muse sent us the Deluxe Box Set (like $100) instead of the 2LP I ordered ($25).

Whoa.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So weird that the shipping to Europe is only 15 dollars. 70 bucks is a good price for me.

Happen to know how many tracks are on the 7 inch?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pookdaddy G posted:

Happen to know how many tracks are on the 7 inch?

It doesn't say. Merely that it will also contain an unreleased track.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

traveling midget posted:

...where do I buy it?

Also look what came today:

Is it any good? I'm very hesitant on listening to it as the last album was atrocious. Muse were once one of my favorite bands :(

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Ok, mine came today. Number 23 of 500 and was autographed. So happy since I was having a meh day.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hell yes, #27! (crappy night shots incoming!)

That's awesome that you both got signed copies! I forgot to mention it before, but mine is no. 37.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

dflanny posted:

Is it any good? I'm very hesitant on listening to it as the last album was atrocious. Muse were once one of my favorite bands :(

It's got some good stuff on it, but I ultimately regret ordering the vinyl. It's better than The Resistance, but... not. You'll just have to hear it, I guess.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Back to Grizzly Bear Shields LP for a moment, does anyone here have a non-gold copy and can talk about the surface noise on it? The 1st LP of Shields is fine, it is the 2nd one that is really really noisy. Nothing makes me more sad than listening to new vinyl only to find that it ALREADY has noise on it, or worse, a bad mastering (thankfully that isn't the case with Shields but it is for lots of new releases).

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

That's awesome that you both got signed copies! I forgot to mention it before, but mine is no. 37.

I just listened to it and the flexis don't sound bad. Some pops but I was expecting it to sound worse. The issue of having to turn a page after two songs and pulling it off and pushing it onto the platter will probably prevent me from listening to it again but the thing is cool nonetheless. It also fits with my 7"s and that's probably where it will stay. I'll buy the regular LP soon. Wanted to give my local shop some business.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

I just listened to it and the flexis don't sound bad. Some pops but I was expecting it to sound worse. The issue of having to turn a page after two songs and pulling it off and pushing it onto the platter will probably prevent me from listening to it again but the thing is cool nonetheless. It also fits with my 7"s and that's probably where it will stay. I'll buy the regular LP soon. Wanted to give my local shop some business.

Yeah, it is a literally a collector's item for me, not something to actually play. That's what the beautiful white 12" vinyl is for.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man, I'm so happy. I finally found a copy of DFA1979's Heads Up EP on Discogs. Now I've only got some 7"s and the pink repress of You're A Woman, I'm A Machine to go and I'm set.

Favourite band vinyl collections get expensive :(

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Man, I'm so happy. I finally found a copy of DFA1979's Heads Up EP on Discogs. Now I've only got some 7"s and the pink repress of You're A Woman, I'm A Machine to go and I'm set.

I saw that copy go up for sale! I got the pink repress of You're a Woman from this year.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I, Butthole posted:

How much did you spend on the ep?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

straying from Indie-rockapalooza for a sec...

I never knew this came out on vinyl, as a 2xLP no less :)

Recorded in the next room over from a James Taylor recording session...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

How much did you spend on the ep?

$120 including shipping. DFA are really the only band that I'm willing to spend that much on records for (and probably will have to shell out for that much again for the pink reissue of the album). It's only a black copy, and not a clear one; only 200 were pressed of the clear version, 800 of the black version. If the opportunity was to present itself for a clear version though, I'd probably fork out for it again.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

alg posted:

straying from Indie-rockapalooza for a sec...

I never knew this came out on vinyl, as a 2xLP no less :)

Recorded in the next room over from a James Taylor recording session...

You can't escape the indie lovefest I'm afraid, Jane Doe is one of my hardcore (du u wnt m0r) favourite records and remains one of the only albums he can put on that I won't mope at. Converge are loving sick.

I'm sure everyone's spotted the crazy expensive beatles box set being released on vinyl by now, what I'm wondering is if anyone is pondering actually plunging in. I can't justify it, at least not at the moment in price or in the quality, but it equals out to £15 a record.. which isn't awful.. Considering most box sets will equal about £150 quid for 5 records and a poster. I'm wondering if im the only wee oval office being mildly tempted by the glossiness of it all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Chumpion posted:

You can't escape the indie lovefest I'm afraid, Jane Doe is one of my hardcore (du u wnt m0r) favourite records and remains one of the only albums he can put on that I won't mope at. Converge are loving sick.

I'm sure everyone's spotted the crazy expensive beatles box set being released on vinyl by now, what I'm wondering is if anyone is pondering actually plunging in. I can't justify it, at least not at the moment in price or in the quality, but it equals out to £15 a record.. which isn't awful.. Considering most box sets will equal about £150 quid for 5 records and a poster. I'm wondering if im the only wee oval office being mildly tempted by the glossiness of it all.

You know, I was tempted too. But then I thought to myself: these records are going to be available, so I won't need to pay 400 bucks right now. And the book is probably the same exact stuff that's in the CD booklets. And then next year they are doing a mono set, and simply put, I'm never going to put on "A Hard Day's Night" in stereo when I have the mono available.

So I preordered the White Album and Abby Road, and I'm thinking about getting Sgt. Peppers since my mom has a mono version already.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

I don't get the point of blowing the money on these when they're just sourced from the same digital masters that were used for the CDs? It's not like these albums are super hard to find or anything.

Anyways, I've heard the Beatles enough already for a lifetime. I'd rather buy some great new music or reissues of older hard to find albums.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

And then next year they are doing a mono set

Is this confirmed?

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

$120 including shipping. DFA are really the only band that I'm willing to spend that much on records for (and probably will have to shell out for that much again for the pink reissue of the album). It's only a black copy, and not a clear one; only 200 were pressed of the clear version, 800 of the black version. If the opportunity was to present itself for a clear version though, I'd probably fork out for it again.

My friend found a copy used at a record store in Minnesota for $10. He bought it and sold it for $40. Super dumb move I thought.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Harry Privates posted:

My friend found a copy used at a record store in Minnesota for $10. He bought it and sold it for $40. Super dumb move I thought.

Super dumb move for him to make a modest profit and let a music fan enjoy something without paying dumb inflated prices

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So I bought stuff and people here like posting pictures of stuff they bought:

The List:

First picture
Devo Live 1980
Iggy Pop TV Eye Live 1977
Performance Original Movie Soundtrack
Oh No! It's Devo
Fresh Cream
Rocka Rolla-Judas Priest
We're Only in it For the Money-Zappa and the Mothers
Substance-Joy Division
Strange Ways Here We Come-The Smiths

Second picture
Electronic Music for Children-Bruce Haack
Love this Giant- David Byrne/St.Vincent
Unknown Passage-Dead Moon
Speak of the Devil- Ozzy Osbourne
Screaming Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends
Digital Dump-The Jackofficers
Rigor Mortis Sets In-John Entwistle

Third picture:
Jack White's Blunderbuss Tour singles.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

So I bought stuff and people here like posting pictures of stuff they bought:

Nice haul! Is that Digital Dump album any good? I love the Butthole Surfers, but I've never actually heard it.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
drat son, how's your bank account feeling?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Nice haul! Is that Digital Dump album any good? I love the Butthole Surfers, but I've never actually heard it.

I haven't listened to it yet. I just got all this tonight.

Chumpion posted:

drat son, how's your bank account feeling?

I'll be just fine.

edit: On a slightly related note, if any of you like anything Jack White's ever done and you can go to one of his new solo concerts, loving go!. It was a great show and his backing band was on fire. There are actually two different backing bands he's using too, so every show is a unique experience. The band he had last night was all women. They loving destroyed that poo poo. I'm really hoping that group actually does their own project. I was lucky enough to have been right in front of the stage, too.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 30, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Harry Privates posted:

I doubt I'd ever be able to find a copy locally however (being in Australia kind of sucks balls for this sorta stuff; it's only after their reunion at Coachella and appearance at a festival over here that the CD has been stocked as more than "special order" at retail stores) and I'd come to terms when I decided to get the entire available discography on vinyl that I'd pay a fair amount for it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I'm looking at the site for the Eraserhead soundtrack, and it still says preorder for the second pressing, which began shipping on August 27. Does anyone know if they're just being lazy about modifying their site to reflect that it's well past August 27, or is the second pressing still not shipping? Or is it even still available or sold out?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

edit: On a slightly related note, if any of you like anything Jack White's ever done and you can go to one of his new solo concerts, loving go!. It was a great show and his backing band was on fire. There are actually two different backing bands he's using too, so every show is a unique experience. The band he had last night was all women. They loving destroyed that poo poo. I'm really hoping that group actually does their own project. I was lucky enough to have been right in front of the stage, too.
You were at the Agganis Arena show too? Killer setlist, the version of Cannon they did sounded like a loving death march. I would've loved to grab those singles but my friends and I didn't get there until like 10 minutes before Jack came out. Traffic on the Mass Turnpike was brutal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

I'm looking at the site for the Eraserhead soundtrack, and it still says preorder for the second pressing, which began shipping on August 27. Does anyone know if they're just being lazy about modifying their site to reflect that it's well past August 27, or is the second pressing still not shipping? Or is it even still available or sold out?

For what it's worth I saw a copy of that in a store yesterday. So something's probably up.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

You were at the Agganis Arena show too? Killer setlist, the version of Cannon they did sounded like a loving death march. I would've loved to grab those singles but my friends and I didn't get there until like 10 minutes before Jack came out. Traffic on the Mass Turnpike was brutal.

Yeah, that's the one. Those singles have the same content as the ones you can buy anywhere, they just have special covers. I just figured "why not?" because they were only six bucks each.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I went to a yard sale in the country yesterday. When I asked if they had any records this guy with a huge beard led me into a musty old house with a collection of about a thousand records that he inherited, and no one, including himself, had looked through. I only scanned it for a couple minutes and got these for $2 each. Nothing too rare, but they all rule, especially the Luke the Drifter one.

There was also a Victrola and a bunch of cast iron cookware. Fuckin' love yard sales around here.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012
Noob question: what is a half speed master record, and do you need a special player to play it (my player only does 33 and 45 rpm)? If I'm right in my assumption, a 12 inch half speed probably plays at around 15 rpm, meaning I probably can't play it? Someone give me the scoop!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

narujoe posted:

Noob question: what is a half speed master record, and do you need a special player to play it (my player only does 33 and 45 rpm)? If I'm right in my assumption, a 12 inch half speed probably plays at around 15 rpm, meaning I probably can't play it? Someone give me the scoop!

A half-speed mastered record is a bit of audiophile junk.

Basically, when they mastered the record, they played everything at half speed - the idea was that it would present a more accurate cutting, capturing all of the detail, especially on the high end. Of course, it doesn't always turn out to be true.

All it means was that they ran the master at half-speed when they made the master for the vinyl record, but it still plays at normal speed. So you don't need to worry. You can play it.

Edit: Also, since you are a noob, I'll let you in on a few other things.

Weight really doesn't matter. There's a theory that 180 gram records sound better or are more resistant to damages, but provided that you take care of your records, the increased weight doesn't mean much. Most people say you should probably avoid 200 gram records since they tend to have a lot of pressing issues, since the increased weight, at that level, actually adds issues into pressing it up.

Analog and digital don't mean too much these days. There's a lot of poo poo going on with the Beatles repressings since they are from a digital source, but they are actually from the original transfers to digital, so they are high-resolution, and at that point, the difference is really in a name. The only thing I will say is that all analog pressings do tend to be a better quality since it implies that they took a lot of care in making the record, but you can't be sure.

Record storage: store those motherfuckers upright. Don't worry if they have a little slant to them, but you don't want them lying flat either.

And finally, records aren't super-fragile. I've dropped one or two onto my driveway and they play just fine. Yeah, take care of them, treat them nicely, and they'll last you a lifetime. I just don't recommend dropping them on my driveway.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 1, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

dflanny posted:

No, it's not :smith:

OOS/Absolution are two of my favorite albums of all time, Resistance and 2nd Law are both awful.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My copy of The 2nd Law came today, and I was like, "gently caress. That's right."

Then I listened to it again and came to the conclusion that it's not meant to be taken seriously. It's Muse just loving around, writing intentionally stupid songs. In that regard, I think it's quite enjoyable, but still stupid. Even if I'm wrong, I prefer to think of it this way, because it justifies me owning it. ;)

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

My first ever vinyl record came in the mail today! it's one of my favorite albums ever, really inspiring to me.

:)

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, so Henry Rollins bought a Ty Segall album from me on Discogs yesterday.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, so Henry Rollins bought a Ty Segall album from me on Discogs yesterday.

You should have asked him why he was in Jack Frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I got some cool stuff in the post while I was away:

Signify by Porcupine Tree, The 2nd Law by Muse, My Arms, Your Hearse by Opeth on clear and A Glorious Dawn from Third Man Records.

I'd been waiting ages for a clear copy of MA,YH, and signify has some really sweet spot varnishing on the gatefold: