Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

Right, this too. I've assumed that since this is still early, and the largest cities have tens of thousands of people, that it's not really much of a hit to go through them. Are there any cities that are large enough that a circuitous route is worth paying extra yet?

At least Hartshire and New Sanctum, probably Fairport. In 1850, your capabilities are somewhat upgraded, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Yeah, some of these routes make too much business sense. I don't see enough future abandoned rail corridors that will be the subject of years of hand wringing and NIMBYism resulting in lost opportunites and really long parking lots.

Also I was going to ask if towns were going to get more detailed in the future particularly the larger ones. It's also why I wanted a large state college in a small town. Being from the south, having a town double in population for 9 months a year in addition to having 40000 additional vechicles 5 Saturdays a year down 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere is a unique experience I think this state should share.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 2, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Yeah, some of these routes make too much business sense. I don't see enough future abandoned rail corridors that will be the subject of years of hand wringing and NIMBYism resulting in lost opportunites and really long parking lots.

The whole point of laying a rail line is to make a profit. Besides, we're limited in what we can make, and Cichlidae doesn't display individual industries; if he did, I'd lay lines inside all of them :getin:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Also I was going to ask if towns were going to get more detailed in the future particularly the larger ones. It's also why I wanted a large state college in a small town. Being from the south, having a town double in population for 9 months a year in addition to having 40000 additional vechicles 5 Saturdays a year down 2 lane roads in the middle of nowhere is a unique experience I think this state should share.

Eventually, you'll get city maps. I don't want to have to update them twice a week in addition to everything else before things really get started. The later updates will take a lot longer since they'll be more collaborative than "everyone toss out an idea," so I'll have time to make more maps.

Volmarias posted:

The whole point of laying a rail line is to make a profit. Besides, we're limited in what we can make, and Cichlidae doesn't display individual industries; if he did, I'd lay lines inside all of them :getin:

OpenTTD I ain't. Hell, just look at those diagonal bridges!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I expect congestion's not much of a problem when all you have is foot and horse traffic. Maybe in some key areas in the city will have problems, but other than that things should be fine.

Of course, when congestion does happen, it is complete hell. If a horse dies then it'll stay rotting in the street until some men can get there to chop it up and take it away. And everything is covered in poo poo.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Yeah but the US, particularly the northeast, is littered with failed lines that either never made a profit or became economically obsolete after the towns or industries failed. The NYO&W and here in Texas, the Cane Belt and SA&AP come to mind. All of these have been abandoned in there entirety after years of unprofitabity, yet some one long ago thought they made sense to build.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
We're a little past the turnpike era now, but I came across this long article about the rise and fall of turnpikes that seems utterly fascinating. I think that means there's something wrong with me.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

NightGyr posted:

We're a little past the turnpike era now, but I came across this long article about the rise and fall of turnpikes that seems utterly fascinating. I think that means there's something wrong with me.

No no, that's really cool! Transportation history is as important as the history of anything else in this country. Right now (in-game), we're seeing people suddenly able to travel faster than they have in the entire history of civilization, and that's only going to get better as time goes on. Imagine how your entire economy and way of life is based on people on horseback going 10-20mph, then suddenly people are moving 4 times as fast, effortlessly!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
WELCOME TO 1850!

Let's leap right into the new decade.

First off, since you've been in stasis for the last 10 years, I regret to inform you that all of your canals are bankrupt. Why? Well, the main reason is pretty simple: almost no freight is using the waterways anymore. It's just way too slow! Even in a city like Boltic or Chenchester, without direct rail access, it's cheaper to send your freight down the road to the nearest railyard and ship from there. The only places still using freight are along the coast, where rail access isn't as good, and they sure as heck don't need any canals.

Also interesting is that ships aren't like they used to be. Fewer and fewer ships are flying full sails; more and more are using steam boilers. This means it's now possible to build bridges anywhere without blocking navigability - not that navigability is an especially important concept anymore. The State and Federal governments have gone ahead and built bridges over all of those little rivers for you - except for the Big Fukov, of course, because that takes some REAL cash.

Those turnpikes? Well, those are almost all bankrupt as well. Railroads are the new Big Thing, and only a few roads (like the pike between Mutnap and Hartshire via Chenchester) can still support their maintenance costs. That's ok, though, because the rail boom is stronger than ever! Up, up, up!

How about those cities?
First off, there are a few new ones. East of Nutmeg's borders is Balkany, about 20 miles / 30 km. It's actually the state capitol now, and despite its location in the hills, it's quite the manufacturing powerhouse.

Inside the state, Nogahyde is a new mill town along the railroad north of Fairport. It specializes in rubber products. Meridian is an extension of Middleport across the river - very heavily industrial as well. Across the river, Deep Bend has grown to the size of a city. Despite its location on the rail line, it's more heavily geared toward trade - a slightly more blue-collar Oliver, if you will.

Despite all of these mill cities and railroads, the state is still about 70% rural. There are farms absolutely EVERYWHERE. That's plenty of cheap labor for your factories!

Now, for the existing cities, growth has been heavily polarized. Cities with railroads, especially New Dublin, Middleport, Hartshire, and Waterbridge, have been growing exponentially. On the other hand, the cities without rail access have all but stagnated: East Sanctum through Bridgefield along the coast are feeling the lack of rail access. Boltic, which looked so promising before, is now starting to seem downtrodden and shady.

One last thing to mention: Oliver, while not growing quickly in the traditional sense, is beginning to consolidate its power. For one, it's limited any new farmland in the area, acting to preserve a "green wedge" for their personal enjoyment.

What can we build now?
I'm glad you asked! You can now build bridges freely over anything, except for rail bridges over the BFR. The technology still hasn't advanced to the point where that's feasible. Any other rivers, though, no problem.

Go nuts, build more rail lines, just remember: one per person. You can also improve existing roadways, or build new ones, if you want.

And the PSD?
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFTEktVGtmQzc3R1E

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The formerly bankrupt New Sanctum - Middleport Bypass Turnpike Authority has been reconstituted as the Fukov East Coast Railroad, funding a line (possibly by scamming the townsfolk with a catchy jingle) from New Sanctum to Fairport along the coast roads.

Something like this:

If the rail concerns operating in New Sanctum and Fairport wanted to make connections it would likely be lucrative. Maybe.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 2, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The HOMNS has decided to rename itself to the Deep Bend & Oliver Railroad, or DB&O Railroad. Part of the reason for this renaming is that Deep Bend will be a new hub on the growing network.

The company has sold stock to the citizens of Deep Bend to raise capital for a station within the city, and partially fund a line to Opiantic via Boltic. This station, is not as grand as that of Oliver, but not as utilitarian as those in Hartshire or Middleport. It's still a large imposing structure, but clad primarily in local stone.

The line to Boltic can either follow the Indian rode to the north of the mountain, or if that's not possible, follow the canal south of the mountain. Then into Opiatic, crossing the whatever river to get into Western Opiatic, allowing transfer of cargo and passengers to the rail station on that bank of the river.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

hailthefish posted:

The formerly bankrupt New Sanctum - Middleport Bypass Turnpike Authority has been reconstituted as the Fukov East Coast Railroad, funding a line (possibly by scamming the townsfolk with a catchy jingle) from New Sanctum to Fairport along the coast roads.

Something like this:

If the rail concerns operating in New Sanctum and Fairport wanted to make connections it would likely be lucrative. Maybe.

The New Cork Central Railway would be happy join with you and help fund the construction of a central terminal for the citizens of Fairport, and to connect our railway line from New Cork to the city of Fairport.

thus allowing us railway barons to make money

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The first Union Station wasn't built until 1850 in the US, and I think in Connecticut they didn't start building them until the 1870s. But I'm sure Cichlidae would allow us to build one right away.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

The first Union Station wasn't built until 1850 in the US

It's 1850 now, and we will by god build one then.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
The drugged out heir to the valley of ill-gotten gains still wants his broad gauge line up the east bank from New Dublin to Opiantic but now wants a right turn towards Middleport to transport his wares across the state without impediment by storms, low water, or highway patrolman. The Opiantic Valley & Eastern Railroad is born.

vvvv just add a more direct line on the east bank from Opiantic to New Dublin and it's roughly the route I'm looking at

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2012

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

I'd like to propose a line running from Opiantic through Boltic and into Middleport. Better access between the states core and the western channel will help boost the prosperity of the region.

^^^Oh, well, beaten I guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our southeast coast has definitely been neglected. Let's build a railroad from Bridgefeild going all the way up through Waterbridge to Balkany. That oughta bring some life into the coast.

Also there's very clearly a deforested path northeast of Fairport that's just begging for a road, so build one there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Opals25 posted:

I'd like to propose a line running from Opiantic through Boltic and into Middleport. Better access between the states core and the western channel will help boost the prosperity of the region.

:regd08:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
The whatever railroad company I'm calling myself now would like to build a line running from West Sanctum through Lemyn, New Dublin, Rockington, and points west.

It'll be the first double tracked line in Nutmeg! :downs:

edit: This should go in another post.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 2, 2012

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I got beaten on Hartshire-Opiantic, so instead let's build from Hartshire to Mutnap via Chenchester. I'd like to connect to the existing line to Wincester if that's possible.

In addition, I now have an official policy on sharing infrastructure, which is that anyone can share for the price of either a stake in their company or paying rent based on the amount of traffic handled.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 2, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

ZombieApostate, I'd like to offer a 15% share in this railroad, in exchange for a connection to your line in New Dublin, and again opposite Killingham. We'll split the cost on the railroad bridges. What do you say?

i barely GNU her!, a 15% share in your railroad, and the connection is yours.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

i barely GNU her! posted:

I got beaten on Hartshire-Opiantic, so instead let's build from Hartshire to Mutnap via Chenchester. I'd like to connect to the existing line to Wincester if that's possible.

nielsm posted:

Top-secret expansion plans for HWFR for when the technology matures: (SECRET BUSINESS PLANS COMPETITORS DO NOT READ) Branch just south of the lake north of Hartshire, going west mostly following the river (north of it), to Chenchester and Mutnap.

Got there before you :smug:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

The Waterbridge & New Sanctum railway company sees the most logical next step being a line from Waterbridge towards Balkany. Ideally, the line would initially diverge at the tight bend by the canal and then run over the canal and to the south of the turnpike out towards Balkany, but this would require the agreement of Volmarias to make a short distance of track within the city shared. If that isn't forthcoming, the alignment would have to be to the north of the river and face steeper gradients, but that's okay now too, right?

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 2, 2012

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Call up John Roebling and let's get a bridge from New Sanctum to West Sanctum.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
How about a short line from south of Meridian to the bend in the New Sanctum - Waterbridge line. I'd prefer it to start a little south of town so it could eventually tie directly into Middleport.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Hedera Helix posted:

ZombieApostate, I'd like to offer a 15% share in this railroad, in exchange for a connection to your line in New Dublin, and again opposite Killingham. We'll split the cost on the railroad bridges. What do you say?

I suppose I'll allow it. And I guess I'll just have to content myself with stealing Ron Pauls Friend's railroad ties and watching his trains wreck from across the river in lieu of building anything this decade since it looks like everything worthwhile is already being done.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
^^^*furiously logs new ties from your side of the river in landslide areas.*

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It's 1850. The Brooklyn Bridge is 30 years away. I.K. Brunel is too busy to bother with the colonials as well.

Edit: the more complicated the network the better the challenge imo. Build more duplicate lines to be abandoned later.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 2, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

No one else has called it, so lets get a spur line going from Waterbridge up to and past New Hartshire, into the next state.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

FISHMANPET posted:

The first Union Station wasn't built until 1850 in the US, and I think in Connecticut they didn't start building them until the 1870s. But I'm sure Cichlidae would allow us to build one right away.

One more decade! Hold on just a little longer!

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

The drugged out heir to the valley of ill-gotten gains still wants his broad gauge line up the east bank from New Dublin to Opiantic but now wants a right turn towards Middleport to transport his wares across the state without impediment by storms, low water, or highway patrolman. The Opiantic Valley & Eastern Railroad is born.

vvvv just add a more direct line on the east bank from Opiantic to New Dublin and it's roughly the route I'm looking at

There's hills in them there hills! But don't worry, you found a way around the problem.

Opals25 posted:

There's always room for one more, right?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Our southeast coast has definitely been neglected. Let's build a railroad from Bridgefeild going all the way up through Waterbridge to Balkany. That oughta bring some life into the coast.

Also there's very clearly a deforested path northeast of Fairport that's just begging for a road, so build one there.

I am assuming you got permission from whoever owns the railroad you're crossing. Otherwise, you've now got two segmented lines.

Also,

Your surveyors have gotten much better!

Hedera Helix posted:

The whatever railroad company I'm calling myself now would like to build a line running from West Sanctum through Lemyn, New Dublin, Rockington, and points west.

It'll be the first double tracked line in Nutmeg! :downs:

edit: This should go in another post.

drat, that's a fine railroad.

In addition, I now have an official policy on sharing infrastructure, which is that anyone can share for the price of either a stake in their company or paying rent based on the amount of traffic handled.

So gut wie gemacht. The mountains were a challenge, but with judicious viaduct placement, you've built the line. Reliability might be tricky, though. On the plus side, that'll be the prime route between Hartshire and Wincester now!

Jonnty posted:

The Waterbridge & New Sanctum railway company sees the most logical next step being a line from Waterbridge towards Balkany. Ideally, the line would initially diverge at the tight bend by the canal and then run over the canal and to the south of the turnpike out towards Balkany, but this would require the agreement of Volmarias to make a short distance of track within the city shared. If that isn't forthcoming, the alignment would have to be to the north of the river and face steeper gradients, but that's okay now too, right?

You were beaten to it by SlothfulCobra.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

HELL YES!

We've been waiting for that one for ages!

To Ron Paul's Friend: Hey, we've made some pretty old bridges. They're just not around anymore because their longevity is quite limited. Hartford and Middletown had several generations of bridges before the current crop appeared to replace them.

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

How about a short line from south of Meridian to the bend in the New Sanctum - Waterbridge line. I'd prefer it to start a little south of town so it could eventually tie directly into Middleport.

Sure, long as the competition doesn't mind.

Volmarias posted:

No one else has called it, so lets get a spur line going from Waterbridge up to and past New Hartshire, into the next state.

There you go. That'll certainly help New Hartshire out.

----

Maybe I've missed it, but does anyone want to build a shore line east of the Fukov?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Cichlidae posted:

Maybe I've missed it, but does anyone want to build a shore line east of the Fukov?

If nobody else claims it, then I will. New Cork to New Sanctum, hitting up the major cities along the route.

Also to whoever said they want to cut a deal re: Mutnap, sure.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

If nobody else claims it, then I will. New Cork to New Sanctum, hitting up the major cities along the route.

Also to whoever said they want to cut a deal re: Mutnap, sure.

You had to bulldoze some row houses and orphanages to get it built, but hey, it's not like those miscreants were using that land to its fullest.

Edit: That's enough for rail lines this decade. Does anyone have any roads to recommend?

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 2, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

The HOMNS has decided to rename itself to the Deep Bend & Oliver Railroad, or DB&O Railroad. Part of the reason for this renaming is that Deep Bend will be a new hub on the growing network.

The company has sold stock to the citizens of Deep Bend to raise capital for a station within the city, and partially fund a line to Opiantic via Boltic. This station, is not as grand as that of Oliver, but not as utilitarian as those in Hartshire or Middleport. It's still a large imposing structure, but clad primarily in local stone.

The line to Boltic can either follow the Indian rode to the north of the mountain, or if that's not possible, follow the canal south of the mountain. Then into Opiatic, crossing the whatever river to get into Western Opiatic, allowing transfer of cargo and passengers to the rail station on that bank of the river.

Quoting myself to point out that I guess I'd like another line line into Opiantic, though I proposed mine first.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Double posting to say I'd like to improve the Indian road between Deep Bend and Opiantic, through Boltic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae, I'm a wealthy steel industrialist looking for coal and iron, and a potential point in the middle to build a smelter. What's in them hills?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have no idea whether this is a good idea.

Also, some Indian roads between Sanctum and Middleport could take an upgrade.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

Edit: That's enough for rail lines this decade. Does anyone have any roads to recommend?

The hardpack trail between East Hartshire and the crossroads south of Middleport could stand to be upgraded, along with the unimproved sections directly south leading into New Sanctum. Not the road that runs along the bank of the Fukov; the one that's inland.

edit: Beaten-ish? Maybe a ring road would work for New Sanctum, as well?

edit the second: Wait, do the Indian roads within cities indicate that the streets are unpaved? That won't do at all. If there's any money left over for this round, I'd like to lay cobble on the streets through Hartshire, Middleport, and Fairport.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 2, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cichlidae posted:

There you go. That'll certainly help New Hartshire out.

Woah, what's going on here? Why isn't that spur connected to the main line in Waterford?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Woah, what's going on here? Why isn't that spur connected to the main line in Waterford?

You need to talk to the current owner of that line in order to make a connection. Or else, build a competing line.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

You need to talk to the current owner of that line in order to make a connection. Or else, build a competing line.

I AM the owner :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Guess the road between Opiantic and Boltic should be upgraded.