Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but what is a good nexus 7 case that I can use as a kickstand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Just got the jelly bean update for the Transformer Prime and it broke/bricked the Prime. Did the download, install, and hangs at restart. Anyone had this issue?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

kri kri posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but what is a good nexus 7 case that I can use as a kickstand?

A lot of people (me included) like this one:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=407553207

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Nannypea posted:

Just got the jelly bean update for the Transformer Prime and it broke/bricked the Prime. Did the download, install, and hangs at restart. Anyone had this issue?

Can you reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Down)? A cold boot, or as a last resort a factory reset, might help.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm planning on getting a Nexus 7 soon and I ordered OTG cables for an extended HDD.

Is there any type of limit in space Android can use via OTG or no? Anything I need to know before using the OTG cable to hook up HDDs to my tablet/phone?

As for BT keyboards, is there one that people prefer?

Rohaq posted:

Our university was teaching people doing the web course to use Dreamweaver for making sites, including sites with PHP. It was absolutely a step in the Wrong Direction. I had friends in there, and had to save their asses a few times by hand-editing their code because Dreamweaver decided to completely gently caress up its own generated code.

One of those guys now works in web design/development, and told me that they laughed during the interview when he said that his uni course taught him Dreamweaver. He now codes his sites by hand: HTML. JavaScript, and PHP.

So do your poo poo by hand, and once you've got PHP down, if you really want to take it one step further, start playing with web application frameworks, like Symfony or Yii - I prefer the former, as it has better documentation and runs under PHP 5.3. There's a hell of a learning curve, but a proper framework allows for high performance sites that scale well.

TildeATH posted:

That's not a good school. CSS3+HTML+js is really starting to come into its own. There are quite a few libraries now for animation, data visualization, 3D, mapping, and so on. It's not like it was back when Flash was first canned. And the adoption of things like D3 (#11 on Github) means that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Yeah, it's not exactly the best school for tech stuff, I've noticed. W3C helped more than they did when it came to coding HTML on my own.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks. It would be nice to have an OP not from May.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Should I be freaking out about the prospect of rooting my Nexus 7? I just picked one up and was thinking doing it sooner would be better than later since I want to use Stickmount and don't want to have reinstall everything.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Evil Vin posted:

Should I be freaking out about the prospect of rooting my Nexus 7? I just picked one up and was thinking doing it sooner would be better than later since I want to use Stickmount and don't want to have reinstall everything.
If you don't want to root, you can use Nexus Media Importer.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you don't want to root, you can use Nexus Media Importer.

I'm assuming I get less functionality out of that, right? Like I'm not too attached to any of the files on the tablet, more of afraid of loving something up. (Which seems pretty hard)

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

illicitporpoises posted:

Can you reboot into recovery (Power + Volume Down)? A cold boot, or as a last resort a factory reset, might help.

Tried that, ended up calling Asus and getting an RMA for it. No telling how long it's going to be gone. :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kri kri posted:

I actually have that case. I just sold my nexus 7 to get a Surface so the case is just sitting around. I'll mail it to you for a few bucks for shipping if you want it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if this is the right place or if it should have gone in recommend me a tablet, but --

Recently got an asus nexus 7 as a gift, looking for a reasonably priced decent case/keyboard for it (preferably on amazon -- have gift card balance to use there).

I saw the blurex recommendation but was wondering if there was one that came with a keyboard, or if those are best off separate.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nannypea posted:

Tried that, ended up calling Asus and getting an RMA for it. No telling how long it's going to be gone. :(

Weird..Did you get a red triangle error screen?

I just switched out a 201 with a 700. Updating the 201 failed before I swapped with that triangle error. Was rooted but not unlocked. Didn't unroot or factory reset before the JB update, same routine as the HC to ICS update. When the update failed from mismatch somewhere it just reset and reverted back to 4.0.3..

With the 700, I made sure to temp unroot and revert my hosts file, everything else was stock in the build.prop, no apps frozen etc etc.

This time, on the 700, no issues.. JB update went smooth.

My steps:
-add SuperSU, allow it to update the su binary
-temp unroot in OTA root keeper
-revert hosts file
-update OS
-re enable root/su with root keeper

I'm not seeing much of a difference between ICS and JB on the 700 to be honest.

edit:
but the new notification system is pretty spiffy
face unlock now has a blink option to prevent use of a photo of you to unlock..smart.
google now was a bit confusing..there's no actual app icon or anything in settings so I wasn't sure how to activate it..just need to do a voice search and then open settings and there's an option to turn on now..digging it so far, but I'd rather have it on a phone like everyone else has pointed out..
kinda cool to be able to say google what's the wind speed in new york? and have it bring up a weather map and tell me out loud the current wind speed and direction..

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 2, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I won a Kindle Fire HD for free, and it's pretty neat, but I was wondering if there's any way to get access to the regular Android Marketplace on it without flashing a whole new ROM and all that jazz? The OP is woefully old.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Tired of waiting for MS surface details and picked up a nexus 7 today. This thing is so goddamn amazing :allears:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Looking at used Nexus 7's on Craigslist to try to minimize the cost difference of the 16gb version. Any reason I should be concerned buying one without an original receipt of purchase? Am I up a creek without a paddle if I need to warranty it?

Fuzz posted:

I won a Kindle Fire HD for free, and it's pretty neat, but I was wondering if there's any way to get access to the regular Android Marketplace on it without flashing a whole new ROM and all that jazz? The OP is woefully old.

Yea, there is. Go to XDA-developers and there's instructions there. You have to root it first. There's also no way to flash custom roms at this point.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I actually have that case. I just sold my nexus 7 to get a Surface so the case is just sitting around. I'll mail it to you for a few bucks for shipping if you want it.

If he doesn't, I would happily pay S&H for it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If he doesn't, I would happily pay S&H for it.

No response from him, so just point some paypal dollars at ericcorp AT gmail DOT com

what do they go for like $15 on amazon? How about seven dollars, to cover the envelope, shipping, and then the Mountain Dew worth of energy I'll expend to get it packed and shipped?

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Weird..Did you get a red triangle error screen?

I just switched out a 201 with a 700. Updating the 201 failed before I swapped with that triangle error. Was rooted but not unlocked. Didn't unroot or factory reset before the JB update, same routine as the HC to ICS update. When the update failed from mismatch somewhere it just reset and reverted back to 4.0.3..

With the 700, I made sure to temp unroot and revert my hosts file, everything else was stock in the build.prop, no apps frozen etc etc.

This time, on the 700, no issues.. JB update went smooth.

My steps:
-add SuperSU, allow it to update the su binary
-temp unroot in OTA root keeper
-revert hosts file
-update OS
-re enable root/su with root keeper

I'm not seeing much a difference between ICS and JB on the 700 to be honest.

edit:
but the new notification system is pretty spiffy
face unlock now has a blink option to prevent use of a photo of you to unlock..smart.
google now was a bit confusing..there's no actual app icon or anything in settings so I wasn't sure how to activate it..just need to do a voice search and then open settings and there's an option to turn on now..digging it so far, but I'd rather have it on a phone like everyone else has pointed out..
kinda cool to be able to say google what's the wind speed in new york? and have it bring up a weather map and tell me out loud the current wind speed and direction..

No red triangle error, no error at all. It died while trying to restart after downloading & installing the update. Got to the initial ASUS screen and hung. Nothing I did/tried could get it to move from that point. Couldn't even turn it off. Maybe they will send me a 700 back for my troubles.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Looking at used Nexus 7's on Craigslist to try to minimize the cost difference of the 16gb version.

I am just about to pull the trigger on one, am interested in this as well.

If you don't want the case let me know and I'll paypal the money to Jerk.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got the Jelly Bean update for my TF700. UI is smooth and faster as expected, battery life remains to be seen.

Asus included a new app called My App Backup which is essentially Titanium Backup. I saves all your apps and optionally apps + data to internal SD with an option to make a copy on the external SD card. Very handy and I probably won't even bother to root this time since TiBu was one of the only reasons I did initially (my root was wiped by the ota update).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My daughters xmas present just arrived. An Ainol Novo Aurora II. Although the only functional difference between it and the Elf II is that is has an IPS screen, I'm a little jealous. The viewing angle is good on my tablet and I rather like the clean, no BS design of the case, but the case on this thing is is so slick and curvy. If my little boy wasn't hovering around like a disaster waiting to happen I'd take a comparison photo.
I'm just getting ready to give it the CM10 treatment like mine, with the "experimental" kernel. Ie stock kernel with bugfixes and full CPU (1512MHz) / GPU(400MHz) speed re-enabled after the OE disabled it because of cry-babies complaining that their tablet was getting hot. It's a dual core, dual GPU tablet. What do you bloody expect!

Scratch that. Managed to take a quick and nasty phone pic. So these things have the same guts, different screen and different case.

edit: poo poo! That photo is a lot bigger than I thought. Fixed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Have you modded a windows key onto your keyboard?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

General_Failure posted:

stock kernel with bugfixes and full CPU (1512MHz) / GPU(400MHz) speed re-enabled after the OE disabled it because of cry-babies complaining that their tablet was getting hot. It's a dual core, dual GPU tablet. What do you bloody expect!
Define "hot". And are you sure they didn't drop the clock rate to avoid, you know, damage to the device? Semiconductors don't like too much heat, and those things don't have fans (or even a metal case to conduct heat) do they?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

randyest posted:

Define "hot". And are you sure they didn't drop the clock rate to avoid, you know, damage to the device? Semiconductors don't like too much heat, and those things don't have fans (or even a metal case to conduct heat) do they?

Not case meltingly hot, but pretty hot. And the throttling to 1.2GHz made no discernible difference. It actually seems to make things a little hotter. I have my theories about this but that's neither here nor there. The kernel also has voltage tweaks. So far it's been rok solid for me and the only time it got particularly hot was playing back MKVs on the TV via HDMI while charging.

Well spotted, Doctor rear end in a top hat. The keyboard is from an Epson PC-e small footprint XT. It's a really nice mechanical keyboard. I realised I've never, ever used the Windows key so losing it didn't bother me,

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No response from him, so just point some paypal dollars at ericcorp AT gmail DOT com

what do they go for like $15 on amazon? How about seven dollars, to cover the envelope, shipping, and then the Mountain Dew worth of energy I'll expend to get it packed and shipped?

Sounds good. Sent. Thank you!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm planning on getting a Nexus 7 soon and I ordered OTG cables for an extended HDD.

Is there any type of limit in space Android can use via OTG or no? Anything I need to know before using the OTG cable to hook up HDDs to my tablet/phone?

Haven't seen a response to this. I'm assuming it's FAT32 and therefore 4GB filesize limits? FWIW, Thermo, I've heard people say you can hook up a external hard disk (although you need a USB hub to power it), so I'm assuming it has a pretty big limit.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Speaking of the N7, the Aurora II is spoofed as one currently and when I started to connect a Google account to it, it mentioned the $25 in Play credit. Who knows if it gets it, but I found that kind of funny.
CM10 is working and installed fine already. Not using the faster kernel though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Haven't seen a response to this. I'm assuming it's FAT32 and therefore 4GB filesize limits? FWIW, Thermo, I've heard people say you can hook up a external hard disk (although you need a USB hub to power it), so I'm assuming it has a pretty big limit.

Thanks for the response!

It is FAT32 then? I was hoping it'd be NTFS, ah well. I did read up on OTG cables since I bought three of them from Amazon for $0.89 each. Apparently, if you use the Nexus Media Importer app, it'll read flash drives, SD cards, and external drives.

NTFS really won't work with Android? Is it an OS issue or?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

NTFS really won't work with Android? Is it an OS issue or?
NTFS is one of Microsoft's proprietary file systems.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can I read epub files I have with the google reader app that comes with nexus? I cant figure out where to put the epub files in. I downloaded another app called FBreader but that says to put the epub files on a memory card which nexus doesnt have.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Also, anyone have any suggestions or a good third-party Kindle Fire HD 7" case? Looking for something with a stand and that will cover the screen, obviously. I've learned the hard way not to always trust Amazon reviews... I got a Nook Color case a couple years back that totally sucked even though it was 4+ star rated.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

My Acer A500 seems to read NTFS format drives fine

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You know, I've been using Windows for about 17 years and I did not know this.

Ah well. Thanks for the reply!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

keyframe posted:

Can I read epub files I have with the google reader app that comes with nexus? I cant figure out where to put the epub files in. I downloaded another app called FBreader but that says to put the epub files on a memory card which nexus doesnt have.

You can't use side loaded books with the Google Books app. However, the Nook app will read them just fine. You just put them in Nook -> My Documents off of main storage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dissss posted:

Third-party read support for NTFS isn't the tricky part.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Third-party read support for NTFS isn't the tricky part.

I've never tried but a quick search would suggest write works too. I'd try it out but its at my parents house.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
There are open source drivers for NTFS that can read and write, but I believe the issue is whether or not they are legal in all countries due to all of the open source drivers being written completely by reverse engineering. There are also issues with it not being 100% compatible because it was entirely written by reverse engineering, so lots of manufacturers and Linux distributions don't wish to risk it screwing up someone's computer. It's usually an optional "restricted" package, similar to MP3 support.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the Nexus 7 still having screen problems? I'm guessing not as bad since there had to have been different shipments by now but I'm still wondering.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dissss posted:

No issue with asus either, FAT, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT all work, HFS obviously not so much. I haven't tried to write to NTFS, but read/write work with the other filesystems. Keeping a flash drive in exfat for read/write across different OSes is the way to go for me thus far.

Edit: NTFS write as well, I'd imagine this partnership between tuxera and nvidia would have something to do with it (at least for exfat, but who knows other file systems licensing they have in place).

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 2, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just reopened this thread and Firefox saw it fit to bring me back to about where I was when I bought my tablet rather than earlier today. It showed me something I forgot. That the Anal... sorry Ainol tablets had an internal SD corruption issue. Well and truly fixed. Apparently before better firmwares came out the way to do it was format the internal memory to 64k cluster size. Guess I was right about it being a fatfs issue.

So yes really happy with mine. My daughter loves her Aurora II now. She doesn't want to let go of it. When we started talking about getting one for her the Ainol store.. goddamn that's a terrible name... anyway it had the Aurora II on special for $97 I think it was.
I know it's no Tegra 3 Nexus 7 etc.. but it's like 1/3 the price and runs everything I've thrown at it except Tegra specific games of course. I got a 32gb MicroSD for mine and have been shoving movies on that to play on the TV, using a cheap $8 keyboard case thing for typing etc. And apparently it supports USB drives, some 3g modems, game controllers, bluetooth dongles etc. but I don't have any real use for any of that.

Oddly it's made me want a better phone, because what it's missing (GPS, GSM, rear camera, and bt I suppose but I never use it), are more phone-y things. My phone has all of them but it's just an original Ideos so it can't run what I want.

Have all the Nexus 7 issues been sorted yet? I mean the creaky screen issue and less than stellar OTG support? Hope so even if it meant returning them. Those QC issues were pretty terrible. Given how popular it is I hope it is for real reasons. Not just another iPad ..BECAUSE IT'S AN IPAD kind of kneejerk reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Not really seeing much improvement in 'smoothness' on my tf700 with JB. The custom launcher I think was screwing things up but after a reset it still seems pretty similar to ics. If my wife hadn't recently gotten a Nexus 7 I wouldn't know how smooth the device could be which is a pisser. I guess the high res screen is just too much for the hardware?