Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAwesome
Mar 30, 2004

I want your soul I will eat your soul
This is Mindy:

She's 14 years old now (15 in January!) but doing well health-wise. She has mild arthritis, some cataracts, and is almost totally deaf. Supposedly she was some sort of spaniel or collie cross but she looks a lot like a flatcoat retriever with tiny legs. When people ask what breed she is I just say she is a happy accident. She looked like a black lab as a puppy. She never grew any hair on her stomach (she's 13 in this picture, with my old roommate) and she loves belly rubs more than anything.

She makes a great sadface for show (she loves the towel):

She also prefers to sleep with her head on a pillow and her body in a crazy contortion.

Her life is a series of naps interrupted by brief walks to get to her next nap location.

TheAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This is Chiquita, my 7? year old Corgi/Chihuahua mix. My mother went to see this dog my grandmother's neighbor was fostering because she thought it was an odd combination and adopted her once she was available.

Sadly some SOB had been abusing her before we got her, so she's extremely afraid of men unless it's one she has time to get to know. Chiquita also clearly wants to play, but doesn't really know how - she gets too afraid of thrown objects for fetch, and we don't want to encourage aggressiveness by tug of war, so pretty much it's games of chase.

I couldn't get too many pictures since she tends to move around too much, but she is a pretty clever dog, she learned how to open her treat bag and how to roll down the automatic window of our cars.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's really hard to tell since I'm on my phone, especially from that one picture, but I dunno about Corgi/chi.

I just wanted to mention it's a myth that tug will encourage aggressiveness. You should teach her a good "drop it" or "give" before playing, but when played with boundaries, tug is a great game.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, my nervous lab mix loves tug but if he actually manages to get the rope he drops it with this "OH GOD IM SO SORRY I BROKE IT :saddowns:" look.

Here is my dog being terrified of kibble.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Skizzles posted:

It's really hard to tell since I'm on my phone, especially from that one picture, but I dunno about Corgi/chi.

I just wanted to mention it's a myth that tug will encourage aggressiveness. You should teach her a good "drop it" or "give" before playing, but when played with boundaries, tug is a great game.

It's more obvious when you see her head from profile, but I never could get her to stay still long enough since she'd keep wanting to see what I'm doing... or hide under the table.

And thanks for telling me.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 24, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone say if the rescue told us wrong in saying our puppy Linus (14 weeks old now) is a golden retriever/border collie mix? Every time we take him out and say he's this mix, we always get people saying "I've never seen a face like he's got before".

Here he is head on

And his head in profile

And one more from a few weeks back because why not (about 9 or 10 weeks old here)

The kid is cute but I've never seen another golden puppy with such a wide and short snout/muzzle. Plus, he's got "jowl wrinkles" (i have no clue what I'm trying to describe here). A couple of his litter mates at the shelter were golden in color so maybe it's a fair assessment of his mix?

I'm a first time puppy owner so maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough puppies.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Unless the rescue had one or both of the parents their guess could very well be wrong just because it's super hard to tell with puppies. Lots of genotypes can look "golden" (ee yellow, fawn, light sable, etc) but that doesn't mean they are part golden retriever. Your boy does have a much meatier mouth than any golden pup I've seen. It almost looks like when my dog ate a bee when I was a kid.

The only pups I can think of that have had that thick of a snout are meatmouth shar peis and maybe mastiffs? Who knows though, he could completely change appearance as he grows up. With mixed puppies you just have to wait and see.

vv I totally forgot about spaniel pups, I could see that. vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 25, 2012

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Thwomp posted:

And one more from a few weeks back because why not (about 9 or 10 weeks old here)

The kid is cute but I've never seen another golden puppy with such a wide and short snout/muzzle. Plus, he's got "jowl wrinkles" (i have no clue what I'm trying to describe here). A couple of his litter mates at the shelter were golden in color so maybe it's a fair assessment of his mix?

That muzzle looks very cocker or springer spaniel to me, they both tend to have that jowly/wrinkly maw when they are puppies and eventually will grow into them. See:

(A springer pup up top and a bunch of American cocker pups in the bottom picture.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

demozthenes posted:

That muzzle looks very cocker or springer spaniel to me, they both tend to have that jowly/wrinkly maw when they are puppies and eventually will grow into them. See:

(A springer pup up top and a bunch of American cocker pups in the bottom picture.)

Sweet christmas. That top picture looks just like him (just not black). Especially the eyes. Linus has those same slightly droopy eyes.

Harebrain
Feb 3, 2004

My Husband & I adopted this little guy this past July from a rescue here in WI. He was born in AL and transported up to WI by this rescue that saves/takes dogs from the shelters down south, mostly from AL, that can't get adopted.

Meet Sprocket!

The rescue told us that he is a terrier mix, which I can see, but I can't tell what else he may be. He will be a year old by the end of November, has really long legs, his tail curls when it's not wagging constantly & and he currently weighs 15 lbs.

Side view.

We are considering doing a DNA test on him to figure out what he may have in him.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Harebrain posted:

Meet Sprocket!

The rescue told us that he is a terrier mix, which I can see, but I can't tell what else he may be. He will be a year old by the end of November, has really long legs, his tail curls when it's not wagging constantly & and he currently weighs 15 lbs.

For scruffy leggy small dogs, my first guess is always poodle mix.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

That dog looks to be part eyebrow.

Harebrain
Feb 3, 2004

Engineer Lenk posted:

For scruffy leggy small dogs, my first guess is always poodle mix.

Ah, now I sort of see it! I think I will send for a DNA kit soon. I'm really curious to see what he is, besides super cute, but I'm just a little biased on that front. :)

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Would you say Sprocket's chest is shaped like a boat-hull? That'd be another sign of poodle-mix.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

TheAwesome posted:

This is Mindy:

She's 14 years old now (15 in January!) but doing well health-wise. She has mild arthritis, some cataracts, and is almost totally deaf. Supposedly she was some sort of spaniel or collie cross but she looks a lot like a flatcoat retriever with tiny legs. When people ask what breed she is I just say she is a happy accident. She looked like a black lab as a puppy. She never grew any hair on her stomach (she's 13 in this picture, with my old roommate) and she loves belly rubs more than anything.

She makes a great sadface for show (she loves the towel):

She also prefers to sleep with her head on a pillow and her body in a crazy contortion.

Her life is a series of naps interrupted by brief walks to get to her next nap location.

Awww, I love old dogs! I think their personality just gets more pronounced as they grow older. I hope you have many more healthy years with her to come! :)

Wanna cuddle that mutt :3:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
(xposted from the primitives thread)

I have a question:

I recently saw online two adoption ad for half Newfie, half-Husky:

Dog 1:

Dog 2:

These dogs appealed to me. I've always loved the temperament of newfoundlands but also loved the aesthetics of huskies (and other primitive dogs). And look at these dogs. Just look at them. And one of the other benefits is, as I understand it, is that cross-breeds can live longer than larger pure-bred dogs in part because of the genetic robustness.

However, I also know that "hey it might be nice and also looks cool" are bad reasons to consider a dog breed. Additionally, I don't know where one would get a husky/newf mix responsibly, how the traits would be likely to mix (if they were predictable at all), or any other questions.

Can anyone help a complete newbie begin to think about these questions? What are the relevant concerns to work through if, once I decide I can responsibly have a dog, I thought about trying to get a dog like this?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Petey posted:

(xposted from the primitives thread)
These dogs appealed to me. I've always loved the temperament of newfoundlands but also loved the aesthetics of huskies (and other primitive dogs). And look at these dogs. Just look at them. And one of the other benefits is, as I understand it, is that cross-breeds can live longer than larger pure-bred dogs in part because of the genetic robustness.

However, I also know that "hey it might be nice and also looks cool" are bad reasons to consider a dog breed. Additionally, I don't know where one would get a husky/newf mix responsibly, how the traits would be likely to mix (if they were predictable at all), or any other questions.

Can anyone help a complete newbie begin to think about these questions? What are the relevant concerns to work through if, once I decide I can responsibly have a dog, I thought about trying to get a dog like this?

There is certainly nothing wrong with adopting a large black mutt, because they are generally the least adoptable dogs but the chances of them actually being a husky/newf mix and not a random wooly beast is pretty slim. Newfoundlands are not super popular so the chances of them contributing their genes to a dog like that is a lot less than a random chow/shepherd/lab/fluffdog down the street. Even if the dog is exactly half newf and half husky there is no guarantee that it will have the newf personality and not just be a 100 lb rear end in a top hat or have a completely different personality than either parent.

Also being a mix doesn't necessarily mean that the dog will be healthier. A mix of dogs with lovely hips and a history of cancer is going to result in mutts with lovely hips that's prone to cancer. My dog is a mutt and is getting creaky and developing mystery lumps at 5.

If you want a big fluffy black dog go on petfinder and contact local rescues, let them know exactly what you need, can deal with, and can not have in a dog and mention that you prefer giant black dogs and I'm sure someone can find you a big black dog that fits your needs.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
You're right that a cross-breed may be more robust than a purebred, but it's very hard to predict. It may not necessarily end up with a genetic disease particular to one breed, but could still be affected by conditions that are common to both, like hip dysplasia.

The temperament thing would also be hard to pick. Newfies and huskies have completely different temperaments. You might end up with a very strong-willed, stubborn dog or a laid-back lazy dog.

For that reason, I'd only suggest going for a mix if you're getting it from a rescue. They would know what their temperaments are like and be able to match you to the dog that fits. I wouldn't personally seek out someone breeding them or having 'oops' litters of newfie/husky.

People who are more into dog breeds than I might be able to suggest primitive looking breeds with a more mellow temperament. Samoyeds come to mind?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Those dogs stare into your soul in the goofiest way. I think that's pretty neat but it might weird out your friends. You'll want to talk to the shelter/place and meet the dog and figure out its energy and personality before you make a final decision anyway.

Awnsie
Mar 23, 2012

So drop it then.
So, me and my roommate found this dag back in July. He was dirty and soaking wet (TYPICAL SOB STORY). Didn't see any other pups around, or a mother. figured he was just dumped there. Took him to the vet and he was infested with 2 or 3 types of intestinal worms. he had a fat belly, but was malnourished. Vet said he was probably 3 months (at the time we brought him in back in july.)

This is him a couple of weeks after his vet visit:
It's hard to imagine that he was ever this small.

And this is more recent, at approx. 5 months and 25lbs:

Size comparison to a 15lb rat terrier.

We decided to name him Archer, but the question is, what is he? Everyone says they see some german shep. in there, but in my opinion he's a bit too small (not to mention his floppy ears). Shep/Lab mix maybe? His fur is long, but not fluffy. Also his eyes make him look so sad 100% of the time, like a a moving guilt machine.

"ARCHER. WHY DID YOU EAT MY SHOE? DOG I AM TALKING TO YO-- aww ohmygod I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell. they were only shoes please stop looking at me like that"

Bonus naptime at the beach picture:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Awnsie posted:

So, me and my roommate found this dag back in July. He was dirty and soaking wet (TYPICAL SOB STORY). Didn't see any other pups around, or a mother. figured he was just dumped there. Took him to the vet and he was infested with 2 or 3 types of intestinal worms. he had a fat belly, but was malnourished. Vet said he was probably 3 months (at the time we brought him in back in july.)

This is him a couple of weeks after his vet visit:
It's hard to imagine that he was ever this small.

We decided to name him Archer, but the question is, what is he? Everyone says they see some german shep. in there, but in my opinion he's a bit too small (not to mention his floppy ears). Shep/Lab mix maybe? His fur is long, but not fluffy. Also his eyes make him look so sad 100% of the time, like a a moving guilt machine.

"ARCHER. WHY DID YOU EAT MY SHOE? DOG I AM TALKING TO YO-- aww ohmygod I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell. they were only shoes please stop looking at me like that"

Bonus naptime at the beach picture:

Oh my god, he's amazing. Those eyes and ears.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I'd say definitely part shepherd, his coloring is pretty much exactly like a sable shepherd (and that's not a common color in dog breeds). Since he's pretty small, maybe he's also part beagle or something like that? That would also explain the sad eyes.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm sure he still has some growing to do. I say shepherd mix as well. Kinda hard to tell otherwise, but beagle is within the realm of possibility.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Awnsie posted:

Congratulations. This is what your dog will look like when he's older:

Maybe this:

Or even this:

Lambeau's probably a lab/shepherd/beagle mix. Archer's got shaggier fur, though.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?
House: Fewer bitchin' choices.

mutantmanifesto posted:

Meet Lucy, my 1-2ish year old terrier mix whom I adopted on Saturday.

She was listed as a cairn mix, but I am seeing more border/norfolk. The only thing with her is, goddamn look how LONG SHE IS. She's so loving long! Dachshund long. Also quite the stumpy-legged girl.

Her disposition is incredibly chill. She likes to relax and lick and cuddle. She gets excited when she's outside, but she's just very very VERY mellow.

She also really sucks at sitting still for pictures, but here's a face shot:

What do you guys think? What is she?

So I decided to go for the Wisdom Panel Insights test (I don't know if there's hate for these here, but I work in a place that does tests like this and I was curious). I know they aren't 100% accurate, but it was still fun to do. Their results from her cheek cells were pretty cut and dry. With mutts you'll often get a "Mixed Breed" result which means they see traces of certain breeds but can't pinpoint one. This is what I got:

Which is baffling if it's accurate. DNA doesn't lie and I took precautions from contaminating the sample, so who knows. I'm wondering where the hell her wire hair came from. It's not totally out of the question for a gene to be expressed in a mix, but this is odd. I'm probably gonna email them and ask for a breakdown, as they apparently are good at doing that. I recommend the test for mutt owners, personally, as I know what they are doing and it's pretty fun regardless.

mutantmanifesto fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 4, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Unfortunately, those tests CAN be inaccurate because there's only a limited number of breeds they'll test for (usually the most common). I can see chihuahua and shi-tzu, but I don't see maltese at all.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?

Pew! Pew! posted:

Unfortunately, those tests CAN be inaccurate because there's only a limited number of breeds they'll test for (usually the most common). I can see chihuahua and shi-tzu, but I don't see maltese at all.

Same. I went for the test with the biggest database of breeds (I think 190+?). Regardless, the common terriers are there and I was very surprised not to see any come up. I'm not naive though, I know they aren't fool proof. If anything it got me thinking that she has Chihuahua in her (I was wondering where the hell her body shape and tail came from, and bingo), so it did something for me.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

mutantmanifesto posted:

So I decided to go for the Wisdom Panel Insights test (I don't know if there's hate for these here, but I work in a place that does tests like this and I was curious). I know they aren't 100% accurate, but it was still fun to do. Their results from her cheek cells were pretty cut and dry. With mutts you'll often get a "Mixed Breed" result which means they see traces of certain breeds but can pinpoint one. This is what I got:

Which is baffling if it's accurate. DNA doesn't lie and I took precautions from contaminating the sample, so who knows. I'm wondering where the hell her wire hair came from. It's not totally out of the question for a gene to be expressed in a mix, but this is odd. I'm probably gonna email them and ask for a breakdown, as they apparently are good at doing that. I recommend the test for mutt owners, personally, as I know what they are doing and it's pretty fun regardless.

That turned out really cool! I love seeing results from these tests. I'm guessing either Lucy got some odd combination of the long wooly hair coat from the malt/shih and the coarser chi fur. Some of the malt/chi mixes and especially shih/chi mixes on good old dogbreedinfo look fairly terrier-y.

Also since wire coats are dominant it could have slipped in somewhere in BYB land and been carried along to your pup.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That turned out really cool! I love seeing results from these tests. I'm guessing either Lucy got some odd combination of the long wooly hair coat from the malt/shih and the coarser chi fur. Some of the malt/chi mixes and especially shih/chi mixes on good old dogbreedinfo look fairly terrier-y.

Also since wire coats are dominant it could have slipped in somewhere in BYB land and been carried along to your pup.

This is what I was thinking. I just assumed if the test was accurate, that the trait was dormant and came through during the many crosses at some point. I've seen a couple of Chi's with pretty course and almost wire hair. If anything, the test DID give me, well, Insight. It's pretty cool!

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

If anybody is interested, here are the list of breeds in their database:

http://www.wisdompanel.com/breed_count_matters/breeds_detected/

I went for the Insights kit myself, which is just a cheek swab. It's currently on sale on Amazon for about $57.00.

Edit: Lucy, who is now settled and bathed and gained a bit of weight post-spay

mutantmanifesto fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 4, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Pew! Pew! posted:

I saw Maltese in the mix when Lucy was first posted - something about the roundness of the eyes plus head shape.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I don't know anything about the genetics of wirey hair, but I do know of a few Lab/Poodle crosses with wire hair. I assumed it was an occasional unpleasant mash up of long hair and a coarser shorter coat.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Longhaired chihuahua + shi-tzu coat could end up with a wiry coat maybe? Also yeah I was just glancing over those pictures so I didn't take time to look at head/eye shape.

Plus I'm used to those flowing coat show maltese that do not really resemble anything but fur.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Dogs with long, soft hair like shih tzu and maltese can have the gene for wire coats, it just gets hidden when they have long hair. Once it gets crossed with a short-haired dog, the wire gene shows in the coat again because short hair is dominant. So I think the test results are entirely plausible. :)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I totally see the shih tzu and chihuahua, what a cool result. I really need to do one of these for Brisbane so I can see what else is in there besides landshark.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

a life less posted:

I don't know anything about the genetics of wirey hair, but I do know of a few Lab/Poodle crosses with wire hair. I assumed it was an occasional unpleasant mash up of long hair and a coarser shorter coat.

You mean ~doodles~ :smug:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

I think you mean DOODLES!!1111!! :byodame:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Topoisomerase posted:

Purebread F1 Australian Labraschnoodle

I have actually heard this as a breed description.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Topoisomerase posted:

Or poos.

It'll be great when they rebrand cockapoos as cockadoodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I just adopted a pooch from a local animal rescue agency and she is an absolute doll. They think that she's about a year old and at least partially a flat coat. I agree on the flat coat part but I'm not sure about the age.

Here's her sitting like a good dog waiting to go out

Here she is laying on a bed in a pretty messy room with my roommate's dog trying to be in the picture in front of her

Her huge paws are a reason I'm thinking she may be a little younger than they thought. She's already almost 60 lbs so she's gonna end up pretty big, I think.