Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Can anyone give me some advice for braising dark meats, particularly lamb? A recipe I've said I'd make for my family next week calls for braised lamb, and in the past I've always found braised lamb a little chewy without that melt in the mouth feel you get with beef bourguignon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

Can anyone give me some advice for braising dark meats, particularly lamb? A recipe I've said I'd make for my family next week calls for braised lamb, and in the past I've always found braised lamb a little chewy without that melt in the mouth feel you get with beef bourguignon.

you used the wrong cut/didn't braise long enough. Just like beef, you want a cut with a lot of connective tissue and, ideally, bone. Lamb shoulder or short rib are the best, you want to go for at least 3 hours to get the connective tissue to melt.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm working on a recipe for a light(er) version of Eggs Florentine. I want something that tastes light, centers on the basil, and doesn't have too much fat. I really want to replace the hollandaise with something at least marginally healthier. I thought about making an aioli instead, but obviously that's still an egg-fat emulsion.

Whatever I do with the sauce, I want it to contain chopped basil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to cut the richness. Should I just throw them all in low-fat mayo and make a spread? A mixture of buttermilk and cornstarch like this? Any ideas?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 30, 2012

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

you used the wrong cut/didn't braise long enough. Just like beef, you want a cut with a lot of connective tissue and, ideally, bone. Lamb shoulder or short rib are the best, you want to go for at least 3 hours to get the connective tissue to melt.

Or Shanks. Lamb shanks are fantastic for braising slowly. The ones I've made, for about ten hours on 90 degrees centigrade, in a clay pot have turned out brilliantly.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

CloseFriend posted:

I'm working on a recipe for a light(er) version of Eggs Florentine. I want something that tastes light, centers on the basil, and doesn't have too much fat. I really want to replace the hollandaise with something at least marginally healthier. I thought about making an aioli instead, but obviously that's still an egg-fat emulsion.

That's a tough one. Hollandaise is pretty integral to all of the Eggs Benedict variations. I can't think of many subsitutions that would cut the fat but still maintain the creaminess. Maybe some version of Skordalia, with the sundried tomatoes and herbs mixed in?

You could also try cooking the garlic, basil, and tomatoes in with the spinach: Make the spinach base extremely flavourful, and then skip the sauce entirely and use the runny yolk from the poached egg as a replacement.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
A friend and I are having a conversation about cooking steaks, and we're wondering why people don't use the big wood fired-pizza ovens to cook thinner cuts? Is it because the heat is not direct?

edit: alternatively, couldn't you get it close to done in one of those ovens, then finish it off on a cast iron skillet over a stovetop for a nice sear?

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 1, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hardly an expert but I'm pretty sure it would be very hard to cook a steak in a pizza-style oven without overcooking the inside.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm hardly an expert but I'm pretty sure it would be very hard to cook a steak in a pizza-style oven without overcooking the inside.

That's an interesting idea. It'd probably work pretty well, but cleaning the grease off the stones would likely be a nightmare.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
you dont have to clean grease off of an 800 degree surface

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plenty of steakhouses brag about the ridiculous furnaces they use to sear off meat insanely quickly. Some of them could probably do some blacksmithing on the side if they really wanted to.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

xcdude24 posted:

A friend and I are having a conversation about cooking steaks, and we're wondering why people don't use the big wood fired-pizza ovens to cook thinner cuts? Is it because the heat is not direct?

edit: alternatively, couldn't you get it close to done in one of those ovens, then finish it off on a cast iron skillet over a stovetop for a nice sear?

Mostly because very few places have wood burning ovens?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Does anyone have a tested recipe for plain milk chocolate that doesn't involve expensive ingredients? I just want to make simple chocolate for those days I'm like a lady in a romcom.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Hey there, relative newbie to cooking properly, and I have a question or two. I just got home from York food festival last week, and brought back a tasty cinnamon honey. I'm planning on doing a tuna steak marinade with it tonight, using two tablespoons or so of the honey and some soy sauce. I was just wondering if this'll taste okay, but also how long I should marinate it for. I'm out between about 12:30 and 4:30, so I can either let it marinate then, or I can do it for a shorter amount of time when I get home.

Will leaving it to marinate for almost four hours cause anything bad to happen? None of the ingredients are acidic but I don't know if it'll make the tuna go too mushy?

Also I only have a George Foreman grill as means of cooking, will this be okay for grilling the marinated tuna? It won't make the 'flavour' all seep out or anything? Thanks a lot.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Sounds ok to me. You seem to have a pretty good handle on things. Not acidic = marinade time not too important. Soy+honey = good for tuna. Foreman grill = not ideal but certainly serviceable.

The only thing left to sperg about is:

1: Whether marinating does anything at all. I think it does. A perfectly rational person on this forum thinks it doesn't. Soy is salty so the salt will penetrate the fish some. I'd go for the shorter marinade myself.

and

2: Finer points on the marinade. Also I'd add a dash of sesame oil if you have it. Mix the soy and honey together and taste it before you put it on the fish. Make sure it tastes good together and the sweet and salty is somewhat balanced. I would probably serve the fish with a wedge of lime and something spicy, too. (Sweet/salty/sour/spicy being the four corners of asian cooking. Balance is key.)

pr0k fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 1, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Does anyone have a tested recipe for plain milk chocolate that doesn't involve expensive ingredients? I just want to make simple chocolate for those days I'm like a lady in a romcom.

No.

Chocolate is fiddly, glorious stuff. Buy it pre-made so that you can take advantage of volume pricing rather than trying to cobble together your own mess of the stuff. Also, if you're looking for milk chocolate then you definitely don't want to try and make your own - starting with raw cocoa beans and building them into a final product isn't going to be very milky.

This is one where brewing it up in the kitchen isn't particularly practical because of the cost of ingredients and the fussiness. Instead, find some boutique chocolatiers and buy out their selections. You'll be happier in the long run when you can actually reach for some milk chocolate and eat it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

pr0k posted:

Sounds ok to me. You seem to have a pretty good handle on things. Not acidic = marinade time not too important. Soy+honey = good for tuna. Foreman grill = not ideal but certainly serviceable.

The only thing left to sperg about is:

1: Whether marinating does anything at all. I think it does. A perfectly rational person on this forum thinks it doesn't. Soy is salty so the salt will penetrate the fish some. I'd go for the shorter marinade myself.

and

2: Finer points on the marinade. Also I'd add a dash of sesame oil if you have it. Mix the soy and honey together and taste it before you put it on the fish. Make sure it tastes good together and the sweet and salty is somewhat balanced. I would probably serve the fish with a wedge of lime and something spicy, too. (Sweet/salty/sour/spicy being the four corners of asian cooking. Balance is key.)

Thanks, didn't actually get chance to read this until I'd already eaten the meal, and it was pretty good actually! I poured a small amount of the marinade over the tuna on the plate to give it a bit of an extra kick. I think the lime would've been a good idea, ended up going for sliced red peppers and fried sliced potatoes, with the skin still on. Sweet and salty did balance pretty well, although it was very...rich, almost overpowering, although that could just be because I used a bit of it as sauce and maybe shouldn't have.

Going to try honey mustard chicken some time soon, I'm thinking perhaps a sweet potato mash and brocolli to go with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice anyway!(ended up leaving it for 4 hours in the end, thought I'd be too hungry when I got home to wait the marinating time!)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
People, hit me with a website or list of recipes of easy to make casseroles.

I'm just learning how to cook and I like to make a lot of food at once because my work schedule is pretty stupid.

I found a website called A Year of Slow Cooking which is great for crockpot stuff but now I'm looking for some nice casseroles.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Do you mean Hot Chocolate (the liquid milk based chocolate drink)? If so try and get hold of some Green and Black's
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257477312

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CuddleChunks posted:

No.

Chocolate is fiddly, glorious stuff. Buy it pre-made so that you can take advantage of volume pricing rather than trying to cobble together your own mess of the stuff. Also, if you're looking for milk chocolate then you definitely don't want to try and make your own - starting with raw cocoa beans and building them into a final product isn't going to be very milky.

This is one where brewing it up in the kitchen isn't particularly practical because of the cost of ingredients and the fussiness. Instead, find some boutique chocolatiers and buy out their selections. You'll be happier in the long run when you can actually reach for some milk chocolate and eat it.

Oh well, sounds like you've got the right knowledge, thanks.

pointsofdata posted:

Do you mean Hot Chocolate (the liquid milk based chocolate drink)? If so try and get hold of some Green and Black's
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257477312

Nah, plates. But I can make some pretty killer hot chocolate, Italian style. If I spot that brand in Norway though, I'll give it a spin.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Last night my husband made monkey bread. It looked and smelled fantastic, but when I tasted it, there was an overwhelming aftertaste of gasoline. What went wrong? Maybe he cooked the brown sugar glaze too long? Maybe our cinnamon was bad? Too much yeast?

(Oddly, Googling the problem turned up a bunch of medical marijuana review sites so now I'm really at a loss!)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think your husband may be trying to poison you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeast can make alcohol when it ferments, so a long ferment time and undercooking may have resulted in an alcohol taste. Maybe.

Otherwise, what PokeJoe said.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Thanks! Will ferment less/cook more, or instruct husband to add more poison next time. Whichever tastes better.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I've cooked a chicken in the oven.

The flesh will all be used. How much stock can I make from chicken bones?

It was a medium sized chicken- about 1kg.

General China fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 1, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've already eaten some and they taste fine, but I'm just curious - how long do Kalamata olives last out of their brine and in the refrigerator? One of our local grocery stores has an awesome olive bar and I bought a tub of kalamatas weeks or possibly months ago. They got shoved to the back of the fridge and forgotten. Normally I eat them so fast there's no chance at all they'll go bad.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
First of all, I'm a complete newb when it comes to cooking. My crowning achievement so far is cooking rice in a rice cooker :v:. But tomorrow that may or may not change when I attempt to cook chicken in the oven. The plan is to go to the store and buy boneless chicken breast, tin foil, garlic powder, and olive oil. Then I basically just drizzle the chicken in olive oil and garlic powder, wrap it all up in tin foil, and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice before I do this? I have a feeling that not marinating the chicken will be a mistake, but I don't really like flavorful food that much anyway, so I hope it's fine. And by flavorful food, I mean that I get dragged out to restaurants all of the time, and I think that the meat is almost always too salty and over-spiced. However, I've never done this before so I don't know if just using garlic powder and olive oil will just make the chicken taste like crap...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I do basically that.

Drumettes or wings, toss them in a bag, put in a bunch of salt (tip: more than you think you need), assorted spices (I'm fond of cinnamon and cumin with chili flakes), drizzle with about a tablespoon of olive oil, rub it in nicely and make sure they've got an even coating of spice/oil, then spread them out on a tray at 375 for about 60 minutes (depending on how many I'm doing).

Delicious.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you salt the chicken. I totally understand not liking salty food, but pretty much all food needs SOME salt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Gadfly posted:

The plan is to go to the store and buy boneless chicken breast, tin foil, garlic powder, and olive oil. Then I basically just drizzle the chicken in olive oil and garlic powder, wrap it all up in tin foil, and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.

While you're at the store, get the following:
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 medium onion (no bigger than your fist)
1 yukon gold potato (smaller than your fist)
1 stick butter

Chop the carrot, onion and celery into big chunks and the potato into little cubes. Don't fret if they are more rectangular than cubic, but they should be pretty small. Put all of this into a bowl and toss with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Take out your chicken breast and rub it around in the veggies so it picks up some oil. Then grind some pepper and sprinkle a little salt on it. Build a big pouch out of aluminum foil and put the veggies on the bottom. Cut off a Tbs of butter (use the guide on the edge of the package) and then cut that into quarters. Put those quarters into four quadrants of the veggies. Lay your chicken breast on top and mush it down a little so it nestles in all the veggies. If you have any sprigs of rosemary, put a couple on top but if not no biggie.

Seal the foil pouch and bake that sucker.

Instead of a sadass lonely chicken breast you have a full meal that you cooked all by yourself. The only thing that has to cook all the way through is the chicken breast. If there's no pink, just white meat all the way, you're good. If you don't like what happens to the veggies when they cook down in chicken juice with some butter and oil and salt and pepper then that's okay but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how incredibly moist and delicious the chicken and veggies turn out.

Beats the hell out of a chicken sandwich from McDonalds.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?
Add some sugar to chopped berries and let them sit overnight in the fridge. They'll turn into delicious sweetened berry goop. It's like the stuff in fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt, only better.

Or just put in honey or jam.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 2, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

In addition to fruit and yogurt, if you want something savory greek yogurt goes fantastically in mashed potatoes, curries, and many rice dishes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

What?

Those big ovens are super hot which means they'll sear the outside quickly and leave the inside pretty much rare.

General China posted:

The flesh will all be used. How much stock can I make from chicken bones?

Probably around 200ml. I normally save two or three chicken carcasses and I save the wing tips from making chicken wings in the freezer until it's stock time.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 2, 2012

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

CuddleChunks posted:

While you're at the store, get the following:
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 medium onion (no bigger than your fist)
1 yukon gold potato (smaller than your fist)
1 stick butter

Chop the carrot, onion and celery into big chunks and the potato into little cubes. Don't fret if they are more rectangular than cubic, but they should be pretty small. Put all of this into a bowl and toss with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Take out your chicken breast and rub it around in the veggies so it picks up some oil. Then grind some pepper and sprinkle a little salt on it. Build a big pouch out of aluminum foil and put the veggies on the bottom. Cut off a Tbs of butter (use the guide on the edge of the package) and then cut that into quarters. Put those quarters into four quadrants of the veggies. Lay your chicken breast on top and mush it down a little so it nestles in all the veggies. If you have any sprigs of rosemary, put a couple on top but if not no biggie.

Seal the foil pouch and bake that sucker.

Instead of a sadass lonely chicken breast you have a full meal that you cooked all by yourself. The only thing that has to cook all the way through is the chicken breast. If there's no pink, just white meat all the way, you're good. If you don't like what happens to the veggies when they cook down in chicken juice with some butter and oil and salt and pepper then that's okay but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how incredibly moist and delicious the chicken and veggies turn out.

Beats the hell out of a chicken sandwich from McDonalds.

I love this idea, as I have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in my freezer at the moment, but I absolutely can't stand celery or onions. Do you think just about any veggies would work for this? In addition, I have some bacon I need to use. Do you think that could work well in the pouch?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

tuyop posted:

Use some to marinate Indian tandoori chicken.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

HookShot posted:

Does anyone have any good recipes that involve using pumpkin pie filling that aren't pumpkin pie? I accidentally bought two cans of filling instead of pure pumpkin the other day and now I need something to do with them. Or if you have a recipe for pie that doesn't involve evaporated milk, that's good too!

I made a couple of pies last week with coconut milk instead of evaporated milk (1 can milk-> 1 can of coco milk) and they turned out delicious. I've also seen recipes online that just replace evaporated milk with heavy cream, if you're into that sort of thing.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to grab some salt and cinnamon from the store as well. Cooking vegetables with the chicken sounds like a good idea too. I was originally planning on using the chicken to supplement my typical dinner of raw vegetables, nuts, and blueberries (yes, I am that lazy). I guess it would make sense to throw the vegetables that I was already planning on eating in with the chicken and see how it turns out.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

tuyop posted:

I usually do honey plus blueberries or raspberries. I did honey plus bananas and cinnamon once and that was pretty good too (maybe a little sweet). You really don't need all that much honey to make it edible. It's all the rage in YLLS to mix in flavored/sweetened protein powder, but my protein powder is not pure white and made it turn an...unpleasant color.

Also, make tzatziki sauce.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Also, just give the plain yogurt another try. The tangy acidity of it is really delightful in it's own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you're making things like coleslaw a 50/50 mayo/greek yoghurt mix also tastes far nicer than plain mayo which I seem to see in most American recipes