Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

One of the kennel assistants where I work got that "Oct 31 is National Kill a Pit Bull Day" as a text message - needless to say, we're all dreading Oct 31 - Nov 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Yeah, that I can believe. I'm not sold on the prevalence of evil crazy satanists, but goddamn there are plenty of people out there who don't mind an excuse to be shits. And people who get together with a crowd of friends and turn off the "why the hell are you doing that" part of their brains.

I definitely agree that this is a problem. The reason I remember the satanic cat panic so well is because there actually was a black cat found killed in a ritualistic way under a bridge or something. It was the work of stupid drunk teenagers and not at all planned or anything (they were found because they bragged about it and a friend of theirs called in a tip after seeing the news story), but it fueled the OMG SATANISTS! :supaburn: panic for awhile. Not that people being afraid to let their cats wander about unsupervised on Halloween was a bad thing, though.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And I have known people that do animal sacrifices during the last week of October of various species (including cats) for various purposes, according to them. I personally don't do that so I haven't been present so y'know, I can't tell you if it's just bullshit on their part or if they really are sacrificing animals actively. They certainly claim they do.

I've known people who claimed that too and I'm quite skeptical. I knew one woman who sacrificed chickens killing them humanely, but that's the only legit animal sacrifice I've known of. Definitely a lot of dumbasses who want to seem cool claim to do it but are too squeamish to follow through (not that that's a bad thing).

I'm not saying it never happens, but I don't think it's as widespread as the urban legends would have you believe. I also am skeptical that it is something for rescues with a thorough screening process would really have to worry about, since I doubt most people are going to want to go through landlord and reference checks for a cat they plan to kill when they could just hop on down to the local pet shop and pick one up no questions asked, or look on Craigslist a bit and find one for free.

I could be wrong though. :shobon:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

This is kind of random and gross but... how do people normally react to pets when they're sick? Not when the pet is suck, but when *you* are sick - when that's the case how do you cope with your pets?

I only mention this because I had a weird stomach bug/food poisoning/something this morning, which caused me to throw up at least 4 or 5 times before I made it back home. First time I'd been at all sick in about 2 years, and the first time with my cat around. And whenever I'd try to lie down my cat would obstinately try to come over and lie on my stomach like she usually does, but the slightest pressure on my stomach caused me intense pain and distress and I had to keep forcing her away, not to mention the smell of cat food on her breath and her presence in general was just making everything worse. Anyway she kept coming back and trying to cuddle until I threw up into the wastebasket at the side of the bed, which was the first time she'd ever seen me throw up and I think totally freaked her out because she left after that. I finally felt a tiny bit better and fell asleep after that.

And the funny thing was, I woke up just 2 hours later, with my cat of course successfully snuggled up next to me and sleeping happily, and I felt *great*. Totally fine and normal again. And I certainly didn't feel the need to kick her out of bed anymore. It was just weird how her presence before was like this terrifying disruptive agent that was going to make me more sick, and then I woke up and felt like she had somehow helped make me feel better while I was sleeping in a weird way. :raise:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Whenever someone in my house is feeling unwell, my dog, who normally only lies next to you if you are actively petting her, turns into the biggest snugglepup.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I'll be keeping Beck inside on Halloween, but that's because children in masks and the noises they make would probably make her poop her pants in fear. Snopes has already posted about it, and I agree with their assessment- it's just another urban legend. I'm not going to bother watching for people sticking razor blades in hotdogs for Satan or whatever, I'll just use the same kind of caution I always do with the dog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Shittttt it's nearly halloween?

Eh we didn't get any trick or treaters last year but if we do this year I guess it'll be a good time to practice Ramming Cheese Down A Dog's Throat.

PS lola is two years old today, and she celebrated by making GBS threads in her crate because I gave her an apple and then dared to hold a rat :mad:

Tomorrow she'll either be seeing her brother or going to the pet shop to get some stuff. Happy birthday, rear end in a top hat!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

kaworu posted:

This is kind of random and gross but... how do people normally react to pets when they're sick? Not when the pet is suck, but when *you* are sick - when that's the case how do you cope with your pets?

The times I've been sick enough that dealing with cat demands would be annoying, my coughing has irritated the cat to the point where she leaves me alone anyway.

Emotionally speaking, my cat definitely picks up on it. When my boyfriend broke up with me last year I didn't really get out of bed for a few days and Indy spent the whole time curled up beside me purring her little heart out. Usually she'll get a little demanding if I don't play with her, and usually she'll spend most of the afternoon looking out the window. But for those few days she just spent all day by my side. Cat therapy is the best therapy. :unsmith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Shittttt it's nearly halloween?

Eh we didn't get any trick or treaters last year but if we do this year I guess it'll be a good time to practice Ramming Cheese Down A Dog's Throat.

PS lola is two years old today, and she celebrated by making GBS threads in her crate because I gave her an apple and then dared to hold a rat :mad:

Tomorrow she'll either be seeing her brother or going to the pet shop to get some stuff. Happy birthday, rear end in a top hat!

Aww, happy birthday Lola!

And what's up "dog making GBS threads in the house" dude? Ires just decided that I was incapable of operating the door, poo poo over near said door, then came over and laid her head on my foot and whimpered until I realized. Puppy guilt.

Which ties into this:

kaworu posted:

It depends on just how sick I am. Like, last night I woke up because I couldn't breathe, because woohoo chest cold! I ended up in the bathroom coughing up a rainbow and, when done, yanked open the door to see four very worried dogs trying to figure out how a door worked. I've never seen so many forehead wrinkles. And I pretty much burst into tears and spent an hour hugging them and petting them because :qq: Oh god, babypuppies, I'm so sorry I worried you. (This is also the reason peanutbutter video doesn't have sound, but music. I spent half of it coughing)

On the other hand, if I'm relatively well I've kind of been known to yell at them to settle the hell down with indoor playing and being loud and stuff. Probably because I'm well enough to realize they can just deal until I'm feeling better later.

As far as care and stuff like that goes, unless I'm hospitalized I'm dragging my miserable rear end up to care for them. Because they're all over me with reminders anyway. Sometimes literally, Amythest :argh: As it is, I've yet to be left alone after last night.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

DenialTwist posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for outdoor cat repellent?

I have some neighborhood cats that do this. I've found that putting some diluted vinegar in a spray bottle and spritzing it generously (or undiluted and non-generously) in their favorite spots will deter them. It does mean that I have to keep it up though. I don't think there's a surefire way to keep cats out of your yard. There are electronic deterrent thingies you can buy but I've never heard those work well (and might not work if you have a dog anyway).

Whatever you do, don't use irritants like chili powder, etc. That kind of thing can get up their noses or in their eyes and cause them a lot of pain.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Anybody claiming to be sacrificing cats for Satan should probably know that Anton LaVey was a huge catlady who is probably spinning in his grave about the whole thing.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

HelloSailorSign posted:

One of the kennel assistants where I work got that "Oct 31 is National Kill a Pit Bull Day" as a text message - needless to say, we're all dreading Oct 31 - Nov 1.

No dogs in the yard for me starting the week before. Also gonna be super paranoid and not walk Moses that week in case any crazies are scoping.

I doubt it'll actually be a thing, but I'd rather deal with under exercised dogs for a week and not have to worry about it. It's being slung around facebook enough that I'm sure some 13 year old somewhere is gonna fling a brick at a dog and it would TOTALLY have to end up being mine.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So, it has come to this. I am applying for Petco.
Not even a good one, either. One that is about as bad as you can get store-wise and filled with sick animals and horrible service. It's pretty much the only thing I'm qualified to do and I need the money.

Any tips to keep myself from going insane? I'm applying for a position in their small animal and bird department since that's what I know best. I almost feel like I'm betraying everything I know but I'm thinking of it as being a huge techie and applying for a job in Walmart's electronic center.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demozthenes posted:

Anybody claiming to be sacrificing cats for Satan should probably know that Anton LaVey was a huge catlady who is probably spinning in his grave about the whole thing.

LaVeyan satanism is only one sect of satanism. He's to satanism what Gardner was to modern pagamism in my opinion. I'm not even entirely sure why a LeVeyan would be sacrificing anything to a deity since (if I understand properly) the vast majority are atheists.

But yeah he totally was a giant catlady and I believe his daughter was too.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

kaworu posted:

Last month I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible fever and noticed Major was wedged next to me as close as he could get keeping me warm. It was a fairly warm night and Maj rarely sleeps on my bed because his beds are more comfortable but he was going to make me feel better the only way he knew how. :3:

Although last year when I had an inner ear problem and barfed whenever I moved he got bored after a day or so and started destroying things. At one point I shuffled out of the bathroom to see him standing on top of my dining room table eating a dozen rolls. He looked up at me then just went back to chewing up rolls like a total rear end in a top hat. All I could really do was call my mom and beg her to come out and keep him busy for a while because I couldn't walk him without falling over.

Superconsndar posted:

No dogs in the yard for me starting the week before. Also gonna be super paranoid and not walk Moses that week in case any crazies are scoping.

I doubt it'll actually be a thing, but I'd rather deal with under exercised dogs for a week and not have to worry about it. It's being slung around facebook enough that I'm sure some 13 year old somewhere is gonna fling a brick at a dog and it would TOTALLY have to end up being mine.

Seriously. No one even really celebrates halloween around me but all my creatures are being locked up in the barn before dark and I'm keeping the flood lights on. People think my Jacob sheep look sort of demonic and all I need is some dumb kids stealing one of them or spooking them into the fence or letting them escape or something. I'd rather be paranoid and have nothing happen than risk any of my animals.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Assuimng it's not just BS, which it very likely is, this whole "Kill a Pit Bull" day is baffling to me. They want to kill Pit Bulls (I'm assuming) because they believe them to be horrible vicious monsters, and they deserve it, and all that. They hate them because they believe them to be violent. So, to protest what they believe is a violent animal...they attempt to rally people together to violently, viciously, kill the dogs. In protest to these horrible vicious Pit Bulls, lets go commit a felony and encourage others to do the same thing! This is the mentality with so much Pit Bull hate. "I hate them because they're mean...but I would also like to violently kill them and/or their owners because I just HATE VIOLENCE, I mean, think of the children, right? I just...seriously, what.

Horky
Oct 27, 2004

Wheats posted:

I'll be keeping Beck inside on Halloween, but that's because children in masks and the noises they make would probably make her poop her pants in fear. Snopes has already posted about it, and I agree with their assessment- it's just another urban legend. I'm not going to bother watching for people sticking razor blades in hotdogs for Satan or whatever, I'll just use the same kind of caution I always do with the dog.

I found the Snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/pitbull.asp Even if it started as a joke you can never underestimate borderline folks. poo poo, I've delivered pizzas on Halloween before and worried about my own safety. Plus it's so graphic; the drat hot dog thing is awfully explanatory. Two Boxers were just poisoned in a backyard here recently.

It also links to an article about the black cats and Halloween thing http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/blackcat.asp and says at the end that even if it's not true, if it saves some cats, all for the better.

Horky fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 2, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've been all depressed and pathetic all day because my boyfriend just left for nine months of military training, but it's kind of hard to stay sad when Max is trying everything he can think of to make me feel better, up to and including barking at the tears and bringing me his toys to play with :3:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I got pointed in the direction of this collar-and-lead shop today: Friendly Dog Collars

(I snitched this image directly from tumblr, so I am a bad person and owe tumblr user hopefulveterinarian some credit)

They also have 'Nervous', 'Deaf Dog', and 'Adopt Me' collars/harnesses/leashes. :3:

Seems like a reasonable idea to me, and might prevent, what, almost five percent of dog-related clashes with idiots?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I LOVE the idea of those, but I feel like even if I had the NO DOGS harness, collar and leash on my dog, people would still let their dogs come up to her while saying "Don't worry, he's friendly!"

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Pew! Pew! posted:

Any tips to keep myself from going insane? I'm applying for a position in their small animal and bird department since that's what I know best. I almost feel like I'm betraying everything I know but I'm thinking of it as being a huge techie and applying for a job in Walmart's electronic center.

Remember that you can put in the effort to make things better. Take care of those animals. And educate all the people out there who don't know anybetter.

At least thats what I tell myself :smith: Its retail first and foremost, but the job is also what YOU make of it too.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pew! Pew! posted:

Not even a good one, either. One that is about as bad as you can get store-wise and filled with sick animals and horrible service. It's pretty much the only thing I'm qualified to do and I need the money.

Start off by following things their way. Be a team player, and as long as it isn't egregious animal cruelty, let it slide. Be the best drat Petco person there. Once you've been identified as "one of the good ones" is when you start making suggestions. Start small. Things you could easily change. They'll ask you why, and you can shrug and say you think the animals like it better that way - or better yet - that people like to see them that way. Basically plan how you'll change things over time. It's a marathon with Petco - not a race.

Basically, you can't come in with all guns blazing, or even showing a little bit of your freak flag. You'll just get fired.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

cryingscarf posted:

I LOVE the idea of those, but I feel like even if I had the NO DOGS harness, collar and leash on my dog, people would still let their dogs come up to her while saying "Don't worry, he's friendly!"

Or they'd walk their dogs up to you to ask what her collar and leash mean :downs:

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
Sometimes I feel so sorry for pet store employees. I was at petco picking up some crickets and overheard someone talking to an employee about getting a ball python. The customer said they wanted to get a 10 gallon to house it in "so it doesn't get big". I could see the employee die a little inside as I've chatted with her a couple times and she knows her stuff. She explained that the python would "get mean" if they kept it in a tank too small. That's a drat good explanation for stupid people even it's incorrect.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Start off by following things their way. Be a team player, and as long as it isn't egregious animal cruelty, let it slide. Be the best drat Petco person there. Once you've been identified as "one of the good ones" is when you start making suggestions. Start small. Things you could easily change. They'll ask you why, and you can shrug and say you think the animals like it better that way - or better yet - that people like to see them that way. Basically plan how you'll change things over time. It's a marathon with Petco - not a race.

Basically, you can't come in with all guns blazing, or even showing a little bit of your freak flag. You'll just get fired.

Pretty much this is your best bet. I'm in good with some people at work, kept getting praised pretty highly, and now my supervisor and director are super open to any suggestions I have about how to run things better.

So my doggie daycare shut down due to funding and I got transferred to one at one of our pet resorts. The new manager was helping me in the daycare and told me I have to be alpha. :iamafag:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Skizzles posted:

So my doggie daycare shut down due to funding and I got transferred to one at one of our pet resorts. The new manager was helping me in the daycare and told me I have to be alpha. :iamafag:

Oh man, I found a good article on alpha-ness. I have to take photos of it and make a thread about it.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
My mother, who is one of the worst pet owners I've ever seen, got a job over the summer watching some people's dogs and horse while they're gone. They have a small farm and travel a lot in the summer to fairs and markets and such. They're actually in Europe right now, I believe.

The people have two border collie/lab mixes and a purebred border collie.

Needless to say, my mother's in a little over her head. Even though I don't have a dog myself, I've read enough PI to be able to point her in the right direction. Over the last few months she's gotten all three dogs to the point where they will follow her all over the place and do anything she says. This is because she keeps a sandwich baggie full of dog food in her pocket at all times. The border collie even backed off from a copperhead (poisonous snake) when my mom told her to.

I was so proud of her until today, when we had the following conversation.

:o: I got a book about dog training and I've been working with *Dog* to get him to stop trying to nip at my feet when we walk.

:allears: Oh, okay.

:o: Yep, it turns out he's trying to be the Uno Dog.

:cripes: Do you mean Alpha?

:o: Oh, maybe, I don't remember.

:doh:

We had a really long conversation after that.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Can I rant here? I'm going to rant here.
My dog is being a bloody emo teenage girl lately. Jesus.
Not listening, not behaving, reallllllly pushing boundaries - and as soon as she can't do something she previously knew she shouldn't do, she pouts and grumps.
Argh.
Its not horrid, just, jesus dog, you're usually so good.

Back to the basics and reinforcing even basic good behaviour, but goddamn 3-year-old-emo-swede dog. ARGH.

That is all.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Siochain posted:

Can I rant here? I'm going to rant here.
My dog is being a bloody emo teenage girl lately. Jesus.
Not listening, not behaving, reallllllly pushing boundaries - and as soon as she can't do something she previously knew she shouldn't do, she pouts and grumps.
Argh.
Its not horrid, just, jesus dog, you're usually so good.

Back to the basics and reinforcing even basic good behaviour, but goddamn 3-year-old-emo-swede dog. ARGH.

That is all.

What's up emo dog buddy!

Moses has been being a bitch about everything since my mom brought the puppy home. It's been about 2 months and he's finally settling back down. You could always try alpha rolling her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I took Lola to the pet shop to get some stuff, totally forgetting they have two store cats there.

One of the cats followed us around the shop, then hid behind some beds while I was looking at bird things. Lola sniffed at the beds and the cat pounced out and my dumb little dog basically shat herself.

Then the other cat was about 2ft away the entire time I was trying to pay. It did not make for an easy transaction, especially when some idiot came and tried to pet Lola from behind me so I didn't even see them :ughh:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Okay I THINK I got this Petco stuff. Going in for an interview tomorrow. My major issue is just anxiety, but I have no issue selling ~precious baby rodents~ as feeders and the like, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I GOT THIS.

I just want to make sure they start getting sick animals off the floor, but I don't think a single one has training regarding small animal health so it's no wonder. Hey as long as I can be in my own little spergy rodent-n-bird world I think I'll be okay. And I'll improve their customer service just by existing so that helps!

The anxiety is because, well, this is my first job. Ever. I'm 21. :gonk:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Thanks to the folks who posted about the healing powers - I honestly love hearing about all that stuff because it just totally makes me feel all :unsmith: and :3: which is nice.

And it's probably total superstition, but I still think my cat had a hand in ultimately making me go from having the most intensely awful case of food poisoning I've ever had yesterday morning to feeling totally fine in about 2 hours. It was just so weird that I fell asleep alone on the couch feeling like I was dying and woke up 2 hours later with a purring cat snuggled next to me feeling not just back to normal, but really good. In truth it probably had a lot more to do with the various medications I had taken that morning kicking in (and if I detailed exactly what it was it would probably get some serious eyebrow raises) but I still think the cat helped. Cats *always* help.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Pew! Pew! posted:

I'm with a good Petco, but just try to enjoy interacting with everyone's dogs and take every opportunity to play with the ferrets and rats.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, no point in working myself up over it!

In other news my dog, still lazy.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

What's up emo dog buddy!

Moses has been being a bitch about everything since my mom brought the puppy home. It's been about 2 months and he's finally settling back down. You could always try alpha rolling her.

I did, but she won :( hahah.
More playtime, more exercise, harsher NILIF. Lets get this doggie back to her normal, good-dog self. So the cats can continue beating her up...

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I'm really happy it's getting chilly outside. Both creatures snuggled up with me on the couch last night.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Your kitty looks like it's smiling.

I like how your animals match. My corgi and cat also match (both gingers).

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Your kitty looks like it's smiling.

I like how your animals match. My corgi and cat also match (both gingers).

They almost match- Gravity is grey/white and Orbit is black/white, but they're close. I think matching pets are the cutest!

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Pew! Pew! posted:

Okay I THINK I got this Petco stuff. Going in for an interview tomorrow. My major issue is just anxiety, but I have no issue selling ~precious baby rodents~ as feeders and the like, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I GOT THIS.

I just want to make sure they start getting sick animals off the floor, but I don't think a single one has training regarding small animal health so it's no wonder. Hey as long as I can be in my own little spergy rodent-n-bird world I think I'll be okay. And I'll improve their customer service just by existing so that helps!

The anxiety is because, well, this is my first job. Ever. I'm 21. :gonk:

You will do great. We all have to start somewhere :) My only word of advice is to not become a crazy adopt-everything-that-needs-a-home person because that's what I did and ended up with a house full of animals.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
So, we just found a husky or husky mix in our backyard. I leashed it and went around the neighbourhood asking if anyone knew who it belongs to. So far nothing. I also called animal control to ask if anyone has reported a missing dog. We've given it food and water. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Canadian Bakin posted:

So, we just found a husky or husky mix in our backyard. I leashed it and went around the neighbourhood asking if anyone knew who it belongs to. So far nothing. I also called animal control to ask if anyone has reported a missing dog. We've given it food and water. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Take him to the vet and see if he's microchipped. Post a very vague ad to craigslist. That's about all you can do.

• Locked thread