Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thedisorient
Jul 2, 2007
Are you a magician?
I had a student in one of my student teaching classes named Sephiroth Macguire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

There was a girl in the grade above me through school named Anita Humpage. She got called to the office over the loud speaker an awful lot for some reason, que everybody quietly giggling.

At work we have a doctor named Dr. Shihed. It doesn't look bad on paper, but every time somebody says it or when he's paged, it sounds just like 'poo poo head' slurred together.

Along with weird doctor names, my oral surgeon was named Dr. Blood and the podiatrist that practices in my town is named Dr. Foote.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ibntumart posted:

As are other appellations derived from the Virgin Mary, such as Consuela (from Nuestra Señora del Consuelo, Our Lady of Consolation), Dolores ( María de los Dolores, Mary of Sorrows), Pilar (María del Pilar, Mary of the Pillar---this one isn't so common in my experience, though), and Rosario (Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Our Lady of the Rosary).

Religious names can get kind of weird. I recently met a lady whose first name is "Rose of Lima". She just goes by Rose.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nucleotide Oracle posted:

I had a student in one of my student teaching classes named Sephiroth Macguire.

The chances of that kid's parents being really into Hebrew mysticism are a lot lower than I want them to be, aren't they?

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
I have a friend who I met when I was 14 and he was 16. When I met him his name was Tyler and really liked guns, Nirvana and Korn. Now he goes by Fox and is even more obsessed with guns and paranoia about the government taking said guns. Dude swears he's not a furry.

Edit: if that doesn't quite fit the thread I knew a guy named Harrison Sachs.

Dr. Notadoctor has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Sep 30, 2012

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Bonster posted:

I once got into a conversation with an elderly man in line at the pharmacy. His name was William Robert. Apparently, his mother had intended to name him Billy Bob, and told the nurse that when he was born. His father was away at war,and his mother was illiterate. The nurse wrote William Robert on his birth certificate instead of what the mother said. She didn't know about it until almost two years later when his father came home, at which point they figured they might as well let it be. He'd wanted to thank that nurse many, many times over the years.

A few more weird spellings:

Anderxon Ly Xayarath - X is not interchangeable with S. And I don't know what the hell is with Xayarath. Sounds like a Star Trek alien.

If they're Southeast Asian, it makes more sense. In Laotian and Hmong, the letter X is pronounced almost like an SH sound, and Xayarath is definitely a Laotian last name that I've seen before. If they're not... well then, they just must really like Laotian names, I guess.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lolitas Alright! posted:

If they're Southeast Asian, it makes more sense. In Laotian and Hmong, the letter X is pronounced almost like an SH sound, and Xayarath is definitely a Laotian last name that I've seen before. If they're not... well then, they just must really like Laotian names, I guess.

Thanks! The Ly makes sense if they're SE Asian as well. Andershon, though, still doesn't make the X work...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

iForge posted:

Took this picture on a cross-country roadtrip in March of 2008.

Brings up an old memory from a road trip to Cheyenne, Wyoming for lunch...

And the longtime president of a vendor we were using when I started my current job: Nimrod Halfon. Not a terribly abnormal name if you're Israeli, but funny as hell in America.

Teatime Prize
Nov 1, 2008

A violent death is the last thing that'll happen to you.
Let's see, I know or have worked with the following:

Gaye Flexen
Rosie Beaver
Senta Shore
Mark Slutsky
Patrick P. Patrick
Endrit Kumbaro
Barnabus Bannister
Emery Oral
Mr. A. Nutter
Mr. A. Letcher
Ms. Death
Ms. Sandercock
Mr. Loveless
(who's currently on wife #5)

...and some guy called Luigi who goes by Kevin, three brothers who're all called Simon, and a grocery store cashier named Justice. :black101:

Sometimes I'm glad to have a really boring name.

Cracker Barrel, Inc.
Mar 26, 2007
True story, a few years ago I had 2 coworkers named Islam and Jesus. Now I work for different company with Christian and Mohammed. Maybe one day I can work with Jew or "Jui"

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Marcade posted:

Huh, I also went to high school with a guy named Richard Biggs.

And then there was the geek-known Richard Biggs aka Dr Stephen Franklin

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Powercrazy posted:

I have a friend from high school whose name is Richard Biggs. Yep, his real name.

Marcade posted:

Huh, I also went to high school with a guy named Richard Biggs.
I went to undergrad with a guy named Richard Biggs. I wonder if two of the three are the same (Powercrazy, my e-mail's in my profile).

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I once met an officer who's last name was "Bohnar." His rank? Major. Swear to god.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Admiral Bosch posted:

I once met an officer who's last name was "Bohnar." His rank? Major. Swear to god.

I only read it in an Air Force magazine but Major Roger Redwood.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Cracker Barrel, Inc. posted:

True story, a few years ago I had 2 coworkers named Islam and Jesus. Now I work for different company with Christian and Mohammed. Maybe one day I can work with Jew or "Jui"

Islam, Christian, Mohammed and Jesus are all incredibly popular names.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I heard once that Mohammed and variants (Muhammad, Mahomet, Hamid, etc) is the most common name in the world. I definitely have met more than a few Mohammed Muhamedis and Muhammet Hammedahs in my life.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

One of my fellow students goes by the unfortunate surname Woodcock. He's not a big talker, and I can only imagine the sort of teasing he got throughout high school.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So earlier I posted two names given to children of someone I know, but she just popped out a 4th kid (at the ripe old age of 22 I might add) and this one takes the cake. The fact that she spells her own name Me'Lisa says it all I think.

Her other children are named Lestat-Zachery Anderson, Ericka-Storm Anderson, Zephyr Rowe, and she is engaged to a guy named Shadoe Rowe. :ughh:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

There was a substitute teacher in our school district, Anita Ley.

mammothrept
Dec 11, 2009
I work for a mortgage company and hear the craziest names. My work buddies and I actually keep a running list. Among my favorites:

Carissa Bahls (pronounced "Balls")
Tagiilma Fuggins
Mark Fugger
December Ball
Princess Sweatt
Famous L. Bobo (I don't know why I found the L important to add. I guess because I remembered it)
Vigena Fuller
Richard Scherpenise

Also, my friend went to school with a girl named Anya Cox.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I'm at the AT&T store and because of the new iPhone coming out, they've got a waiting list with everyone's name on the screen - and theres a guy named Arun. Pronounced Aaron. :stare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I get this story from my dad. As a kid, he knew a Theodore Bear.

Theodore's mother would stand on the porch and call "Teddyyy! Teddy Beeaaarr--rrrrr!"

Later, he killed himself.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lullabee posted:

I'm at the AT&T store and because of the new iPhone coming out, they've got a waiting list with everyone's name on the screen - and theres a guy named Arun. Pronounced Aaron. :stare:

That's a Cambodian name.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Bonster posted:

That's a Cambodian name.
Well that shows my ignorance. I thought it was just a creative way to spell Aaron.

The Nautilus
Jul 24, 2012

HELLO
I went to high school with a set of twins named DeSean and DaSean.

They were the year above me and were in my art class elective one year. On the first day of class the teacher was calling out the roll, called one name, got to the next one and said "Why is that on here twice?" when the second twin interrupted.

They went by the VERY emphasized nicknames Dee and Day.

The Nautilus has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Oct 2, 2012

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Sorry, Dumbposting.

Veev has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Oct 2, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veev posted:

My cousin went to a school with a girl named La-a pronounced Ladasha.

This didn't happen. It's a racist myth. Stop posting it.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Bonster posted:

That's a Cambodian name.

Alternatively it could be a non-standard transliteration of Harun/Haroon, which is Aaron in Arabic.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I had a customer today with the last name of Longerbone.

I hope he is just smug as all hell about it.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
My friend was at work last week and this woman came in holding a mug that had two lines of text. First line SHADY, second line NASTY. Someone casually asked her what her mug represented, and she said, "it's my name." They replied, "Your...your name is Shady Nasty?"

She said, "no, my name is Sha-dynasty."

Another guy who came into her work was named Rich Blackman.

My dad used to know a guy whose last name was Leer. His daughter's first name was Crystal, and her middle name was Shanda. Crystal Shanda Leer.

My sister once encountered a woman at work whose name was Truly Boring.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Your friend cribbed Shadynasty from an episode of Always Sunny.

thedisorient
Jul 2, 2007
Are you a magician?

Mad Hamish posted:

The chances of that kid's parents being really into Hebrew mysticism are a lot lower than I want them to be, aren't they?

The chances of one or both of his parents being gamers would be higher.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.

Defiance Industries posted:

Your friend cribbed Shadynasty from an episode of Always Sunny.

God dammit! That story made my night when she told it to me. :(

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I apparently work with Rambo Dong and Dikshit Dikshit.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mammothrept posted:

I work for a mortgage company and hear the craziest names. My work buddies and I actually keep a running list. Among my favorites:
Richard Scherpenise

This is so funny to me. Every time he writes his name he has to write the word penis and quietly sigh to himself.

I knew a kid in tennessee when i was in junior high named Golden Styles. Pretty rad.

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship
Echo Casanova. The mother+father+2 other kids have names A-D, so they decided to name the new baby and E name. They used "Echo" as a placeholder and just went "meh fuckit" and used it for his name in the end. Even the mom's sister has no clue where "Casanova" came from, though.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
One of my teachers in the 5th grade was named Peggy Legg.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Veev posted:

Sorry, Dumbposting.
I have to know, are you retracting because you were lying in the first place or did you genuinely believe your cousin knew La-a and you just found out in the thread it's a racist myth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
I work at a call center for my university. Today I called someone named Jasmine, spelled "Jaz-Munn." Best part though? Jaz-Munn is a guy.

Edit: also I called a girl who's name is Tyler. Do these parents hate their kids? Are they Johnny Cash fans? I don't get why you'd do that to your child.