Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I have a serious problem here. Why is Kim NaYoung not on We Got Married anymore? Where is she? Where can I see her? :ohdear:

I've been enjoying Sunhwa/Kwanghee very much (despite kshownow's atrocious subs, which I will never stop complaining about). They're a very fun and playful couple. Sunhwa's variety experience and Kwanghee's natural awesomeness allow them to make for great television, and the fact that they are actual friends means they have really good chemistry together too.

But seriously Kim NaYoung come back I miss seeing your sexiness on that couch. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jamesman posted:

I have a serious problem here. Why is Kim NaYoung not on We Got Married anymore? Where is she? Where can I see her? :ohdear:

I've been enjoying Sunhwa/Kwanghee very much (despite kshownow's atrocious subs, which I will never stop complaining about). They're a very fun and playful couple. Sunhwa's variety experience and Kwanghee's natural awesomeness allow them to make for great television, and the fact that they are actual friends means they have really good chemistry together too.

But seriously Kim NaYoung come back I miss seeing your sexiness on that couch. :(

Well she's currently hosting another MBC variety show, God of Victory, with Noh Hong Chul. Although I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

And yeah, SunHee couple is pretty awesome so far. Also enjoying that KangYoon couple too, as I was a fan of A Gentleman's Dignity.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Not even 10 minutes in to Answer Me, 1997 (or Reply 1997, w/e), and I'm sold on this show. Hell, I enjoy the parents more than the main characters. It's hilarious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I jumped ahead in episodes of Gag Concert and I finally got to toe debut of Brave Guys. I can't get enough Shin Bora. I love her to a ridiculous degree and now I have two sketches to see her in! Brave Guys loving owns.

Sadly, there seems to be no sketches with Anna Heo in them, who is one of my other favorite people on that show. I hope she shows up again soon.

Edit: Hey new avatar. RIP Kazuma :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Drama Spotlight: Miss Ripley

Finished: Yes
Episodes: 16
Starring: Lee Da-Hae, Micky Yoochun, Kim Seung Woo, Kang Hye Jung
Available: Netflix, Hulu, ViKi, DramaFever

Jang Mi-Ri's life sucks and has always sucked, up to and including the part where she works as a hostess in Japan, paying off adoptive parents' debts. She finally manages to get out of her sucky life in Japan to head back to Korea to enjoy a sucky life there, because nobody wants to hire someone whose life sucks when they can hire someone who went to a university instead.

Meanwhile, Jang Myung Hoon, head of a major hotel, is desperately searching to hire a new employee to take care of a Japanese VIP that will be coming to stay, but he can't find anyone that can speak the guest's dialect. So when he crosses paths with Mi-Ri and finds out she speaks this dialect, he considers her for the position.

But there's still the issue of her life sucking and not having proper credentials for such a job. At least that WOULD be an issue, but after putting up with so much poo poo and facing deportation, Mi-Ri just goes "gently caress it" and lies about her background, and things just go from there.

Now, what I liked about this series is that Jang Mi-Ri is part victim, part villain. You feel for her situation and understand her motives, but at the same time, the things she does and how she ends up hurting and using people aren't exactly heroic. I also really liked the way she lives her lies, to the point where you sometimes can't tell when the character is being genuine or not. It's interesting to see such a psychopathic female character as the lead in a Korean drama. Much credit to Lee Da-Hae there.

What I DIDN'T like was, halfway through the series, things just start getting retooled like crazy. Apparently, this show was being filmed as it was airing, so the story was written to tailor to audience reactions/ratings, which meant things got pretty stupid and the direction of the story kind of took a hard left. But you're already in the middle of the show, so you might as well see how it finishes and it's not TERRIBLE or anything. In fact, a character from the first half becomes the best character in the second half.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Jamesman posted:

Sadly, there seems to be no sketches with Anna Heo in them, who is one of my other favorite people on that show. I hope she shows up again soon.

She shows up pretty soon as the mother in a creepy house... it's one of my favorite skits now.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Does anyone know where I can watch SBS drama "The Seven of Us" online? I'm really surprised its not listed on No Min Woo's wikipedia or wiki.d-addicts page, and that it barely comes up on a Google search, if at all. Is it known under a different name?

Wait, does it even exist? Is any article on allkflop true? I'm confused. :sigh:

Merope fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 27, 2012

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Allkflop is that fanfiction equivalent of a news service, isn't it? You thought you knew the depths of Kpop fan insanity...

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Merope posted:

Does anyone know where I can watch SBS drama "The Seven of Us" online? I'm really surprised its not listed on No Min Woo's wikipedia or wiki.d-addicts page, and that it barely comes up on a Google search, if at all. Is it known under a different name?

Are you sure it's No Min Woo you're looking for? Here's an accurate listing of his works (in Korean): http://people.search.naver.com/sear...year=&fall_year

Don't see anything related to the number 7 anywhere, though.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Merope posted:

I'm confused, can you link the article?

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
It was this one: http://allkflop.blogspot.ro/2012/01/actor-no-min-woo-speaks-out-about-his.html

They have a few more articles that mention that drama. But they say it has Jessica Jiyeon in it, and I barely managed to find anything on her, somewhere it says she is a virtual singer/actress. :confused: So what the hell.
Fanfiction eh? They're doing a pretty good job at fooling ignorant and silly people like me. :blush:

VVV Yeah, feeling very foolish right now. :( The idea of that drama sounded pretty good though.

Merope fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 27, 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Merope posted:

It was this one: http://allkflop.blogspot.ro/2012/01/actor-no-min-woo-speaks-out-about-his.html

They have a few more articles that mention that drama. But they say it has Jessica Jiyeon in it, and I barely managed to find anything on her, somewhere it says she is a virtual singer/actress. :confused: So what the hell.
Fanfiction eh? They're doing a pretty good job at fooling ignorant and silly people like me. :blush:

Umm this is awkward but that's not real. :D

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Kincha-nah (did I get that right?), I once thought bonsai kittens were real.

To be fair though that was in 2002.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

I jumped ahead in episodes of Gag Concert and I finally got to toe debut of Brave Guys. I can't get enough Shin Bora. I love her to a ridiculous degree and now I have two sketches to see her in! Brave Guys loving owns.

If you're up for it, the latest episode of IY2 has Shin Bora in it for a minute or two when they take some high school kids on a quick tour of the TV studio where they tape all the shows.

She does a quick bit of improv comedy with her costars and everyone makes fun of each other.

EDIT - I should point out that it's episode #39.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

reflir posted:

Kincha-nah (did I get that right?)

If you were asking "Are you okay?" it's kind of weird. Only because a lot of Korean language books will use a K sound when it's more of a hard G.

괜찮아 is more like "Gwen-cha-nah" but when said quickly, the W kind of gets lost.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

reflir posted:

I used to have a gif of that move they do at 3:21 in the new video and watch it over and over and over.

hello hello I have been summoned from the gif abyss.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Just finished My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, cried here also.

I'm considering taking a sub with one of the websites that have korean (and maybe also japanese) dramas, which would be best for that? I know of Crunchyroll and Hulu only, do they differ in video quality or number of available dramas, or quality of english subtitles, or anything else? Do they show new dramas as they appear on tv or only when they finish airing?

I really want to see Pasta and I can't find it anywhere, DramaFever says it wont work in my country and MySoju seems to be down. I had wached a few scenes of Iris on MySoju this summer but I didn't much like the video quality.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Torrents are your best bet if you want quality.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Cizzo posted:

If you were asking "Are you okay?" it's kind of weird. Only because a lot of Korean language books will use a K sound when it's more of a hard G.

괜찮아 is more like "Gwen-cha-nah" but when said quickly, the W kind of gets lost.

It's usually translated as "it's alright" in my experience. Look at the first episode of running man for instance, when Gary and Joong-ki mistakenly freak out about what they thought was the start sign and Jae-suk starts a "Gwen-cha-nah" chant to make them not feel embarrassed.

edit: you have a point about the (almost) silent w. I thought it was kai-bai-boh for the longest time, instead of kawi-bawi-bo.

2nd edit: Same for sowoneul malhaebwa

Famous TV Dad posted:

hello hello I have been summoned from the gif abyss.

I just went OMG irl

reflir fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 27, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Hmmm. Clearly I need to watch the dance versions of the SNSD music videos.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I recommend the steering wheel hip bounce in Mr Taxi and the cowgirl twirl and cow-catcher dance in Oh! There's also a loving amazing shot of Yuri and Yoona in the Paparazzi dance video but it only lasts for about a second.

edit: of course there is also sistar19's My Boy but I don't think it's possible to be into Korean tv and not know of that video.

reflir fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 27, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

reflir posted:

It's usually translated as "it's alright" in my experience. Look at the first episode of running man for instance, when Gary and Joong-ki mistakenly freak out about what they thought was the start sign and Jae-suk starts a "Gwen-cha-nah" chant to make them not feel embarrassed.

edit: you have a point about the (almost) silent w. I thought it was kai-bai-boh for the longest time, instead of kawi-bawi-bo.

2nd edit: Same for sowoneul malhaebwa

I just went OMG irl

Works both ways. If it's a question (괜찮아?) it's "are you okay" and if it's more of a statement (괜찮아...) it's "that's okay/alright...".

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Did they use this concept for anything beyond album art?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

TEHJOE posted:

Did they use this concept for anything beyond album art?

I hope not.

Archer2338 posted:

Works both ways. If it's a question (괜찮아?) it's "are you okay" and if it's more of a statement (괜찮아...) it's "that's okay/alright...".

Exactly. It depends on the context and how you say it. Also tone helps too because you can also say it with some attitude (warning: if said to your parents, they will end your existence on this planet).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Started watching Julien Kang/Yoon Se-Ah on We Got Married. I'm officially gay for Julien Kang. What a man. :allears:

There's obviously couples that won't appeal to some people (and I don't intend to watch every couple), but has there ever been a pairing that just straight-up sucked on the show?

IMAGremlin
Jun 17, 2005

Merope posted:

Just finished My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, cried here also.

I'm considering taking a sub with one of the websites that have korean (and maybe also japanese) dramas, which would be best for that? I know of Crunchyroll and Hulu only, do they differ in video quality or number of available dramas, or quality of english subtitles, or anything else? Do they show new dramas as they appear on tv or only when they finish airing?

I really want to see Pasta and I can't find it anywhere, DramaFever says it wont work in my country and MySoju seems to be down. I had wached a few scenes of Iris on MySoju this summer but I didn't much like the video quality.

Pasta was on Netflix streaming not too long ago, I watched it on there around June, if that helps.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Pasta is on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/pasta

Hulu's quality's good, you just have to watch some ads. Arang is also up there, so they post current stuff too - I think they stream stuff that Dramafever has or something. Crunchyroll was pretty poo poo quality last I watched them, although this was years ago.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Corn Thongs posted:

Pasta is on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/pasta

Hulu's quality's good, you just have to watch some ads. Arang is also up there, so they post current stuff too - I think they stream stuff that Dramafever has or something. Crunchyroll was pretty poo poo quality last I watched them, although this was years ago.

Holy crap I had no idea current shows were on there. Since it's (I'm guessing) official subs, the grammar seems much better than what the fan groups are putting out. Thanks, this is how I'm watching the rest of Arang and Faith from now on.

Edit: Hmm, a show like Arang has the MBC America logo in the corner, while Faith has DramaFever. Now I'm confused whether or not they are fansubs.

qbert fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 30, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

Holy crap I had no idea current shows were on there. Since it's (I'm guessing) official subs, the grammar seems much better than what the fan groups are putting out. Thanks, this is how I'm watching the rest of Arang and Faith from now on.

Edit: Hmm, a show like Arang has the MBC America logo in the corner, while Faith has DramaFever. Now I'm confused whether or not they are fansubs.

I know MBC has "MBC America" and KBS has "KBS World" for broadcasting outside of Korea, but SBS does not, So MBC and KBS dramas are most likely "officially" subbed while the SBS shows on there might be using fansubs.

Not sure, though.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

qbert posted:

Hulu apparently copies the subtitles from other websites, I assume it's a quirk of however these shows get licensed from the Korean owners to be streamed on Hulu and other websites that purchase rights legally. On at least one show there are the little "these subs are from Viki don't copy them!!!" lines left in there as well. At least they didn't copy the streaming comments too :v:

At least, I would think Hulu is big enough that it has to purchase streaming rights or face legal troubles. It's not exactly one of these fly by night websites that operate in the grey area of fansubbing for nonprofit.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Bah, neither Hulu or Netflix or DramaFever work for me since I'm not from USA. :smith: Is there any other website like them that works in Europe?

LooKMaN posted:

Torrents are your best bet if you want quality.

I guess this would be indeed my best option.

Merope fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 30, 2012

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Merope posted:

Bah, neither Hulu or Netflix or DramaFever work for me since I'm not from USA. :smith: Is there any other website like them that works in Europe?

I guess this would be indeed my best option.

Does https://www.viki.com work for you?

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Yes! Thank you! Some shows (Pasta included) seem to be removed, but the ones that work do load for me with no regional restriction warning. Can't wait to watch Midas here!

Since a certain pattern may be noticed in my latest posts here (other than ask for websites), I have to say I'm feeling a bit dismayed and kind of embarrased to have a celebrity crush at this age. I didn't have celebrity crushes when I was a teenager or in my early 20s, I couldn't understand them in other people. And look at me now, I'm getting sillier the older I get. :blush:

Merope fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 30, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's because we weren't exposed to celebrities worth having crushes on until now. It's OK buddy. :glomp:

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
I remember to have seen gifs of something like "Idols" olympics during London 2012: someone knows something about this?

But most importantly: does Bora smash her face against concrete?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

ruttivendolo posted:

I remember to have seen gifs of something like "Idols" olympics during London 2012: someone knows something about this?

But most importantly: does Bora smash her face against concrete?

Yep, google Idol Olympcis 2012 eng sub and watch away

Selane
May 19, 2006

Oh boy everyone, it's that time of year again...

My favorite type of Korean programming: awful idol Chuseok specials! :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress yeah! Can't wait for the subs to come out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
No dance battle again this year. :(

So, Koreans in this thread, please answer something for me. Does your country love American pro wrestling as much as variety shows would have me believe. They're always using a ton of wrestling themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Jamesman posted:

No dance battle again this year. :(

So, Koreans in this thread, please answer something for me. Does your country love American pro wrestling as much as variety shows would have me believe. They're always using a ton of wrestling themes.

I haven't watched the Chuseok special yet but I'll answer this to the best of my knowledge.

Koreans really love anything their people excel in. since the Beijing olympics, Koreans have really picked up on Archery. Before that, speed skating.

We also kind of pride ourselves on our traditional sports like the traditional form of wrestling 씨름. This is also what Kim Jong-Kook kind of specializes in which is why any kind of wrestling in any variety show, he basically owns it.

A good example of this was when the Steelers won the Super Bowl a while back and Hines Ward was basically a celebrity while he and his mom visited Korea.

Also, I will put this in here because it was my favorite episode of Family Outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR6BJbl7UVw

• Locked thread