Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yawgmoth posted:

I know it will get funded, but I still am hoping it doesn't since Werewolf has always ended up being a fantastic barometer for how terrible of a player/person you are for me.

I didn't play enough of WtA to run into weirdos - I didn't even own the core book until recently. For me the setting was the big draw, but nobody really played it outside of a handful of sessions in HS/ college. Of course, this was all pre internet so furries weren't there to ruin everything with dicks and hilariously 'erotic' fan art. It was a more innocent time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

I didn't play enough of WtA to run into weirdos - I didn't even own the core book until recently. For me the setting was the big draw, but nobody really played it outside of a handful of sessions in HS/ college. Of course, this was all pre internet so furries weren't there to ruin everything with dicks and hilariously 'erotic' fan art. It was a more innocent time.
You say that, but you didn't meet the people I met. :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll stop using the word"Metis".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah my group was mostly heavy metal kids who were 100% into werewolves loving up the mutants and corporate dudes who worked for the evil space demon.

It's a great setting from that perspective. I think we were in the tiny minority of players who got it right, and even that probably wouldn't have been sustainable if we'd played longer with different people.

Is metis a racial slur in Canada or is it just the swap.avi thing?

E: oh thanks Wikipedia. That's weird, yeah I'd be ok with changing that.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 2, 2012

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Being a native guy who lives in the french part, Autochton is a bit wierd, too. Not offensive or anything, just wierd.

Also, man, character options feel kinda sparse for a pacifist Obrimos.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 2, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I am not paying 150 dollars for a physical copy. gently caress that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Loomer posted:

I am not paying 150 dollars for a physical copy. gently caress that.

The print on demand will "only" be like 50 bucks.

They're super stingy with the old PDFs in this kickstarter, it's weird. Like the old tribe books are that big of a deal.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I would have been entirely happy to pay a hundred or so. But I ain't paying 150 for it. 125 was the end cost for V20 for me as a foreigner.

I'll just get a bloody PDF copy at that price.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm really only getting this for Wyrm info, and for that I'm hoping it gets it own book. I love the Wyrm and use it in NWOD games and outside of Werewolf, which is funny as I've never liked much else about Werewolf.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I liked the Ratkin. Schizophrenic were-rat terrorists? What's not to like! (i'm sure there's something rape-y that I've forgotten. I mean, it's WtA.)

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Being neither North American nor a Werewolf player, I was scratching my head over why some group of werewolves obviously named after the Greek titaness was so offensive to a group of people who happened to have a similar name.

Then I read this and this together. There went my theory of an honest mistake or people getting worked up over nothing.

Out of morbid fascination, what are the best products for this kind of colossal stupidity? Anything in NWoD?

Project1 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 2, 2012

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Raepdog posted:

I'm really only getting this for Wyrm info, and for that I'm hoping it gets it own book. I love the Wyrm and use it in NWOD games and outside of Werewolf, which is funny as I've never liked much else about Werewolf.
Werewolf for me (both versions) has only ever been useful for spirits. It's great for really in-depth info on spirits, where they live, how they grow, etc. which is fantastic because they're really good antagonists for any splat; especially in nWoD since anyone can literally walk into the Shadow from the right place with the right key. But as a game line on its own, I've always really hated werewolf.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Werewolf for me (both versions) has only ever been useful for spirits. It's great for really in-depth info on spirits, where they live, how they grow, etc. which is fantastic because they're really good antagonists for any splat; especially in nWoD since anyone can literally walk into the Shadow from the right place with the right key. But as a game line on its own, I've always really hated werewolf.

I see your issues with Apocalypse and agree wholeheartedly with them, but what do you dislike so much about Forsaken? It's always been my favorite line.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

I see your issues with Apocalypse and agree wholeheartedly with them, but what do you dislike so much about Forsaken? It's always been my favorite line.
I don't like the pseudo-religion bullshit leftover from WtA, none of the auspices strike me as actually interesting, renown is easily one of the worst mechanics in nWoD, and gifts are overly situational at best unless they're 5 dots. Needing to buy a loving ritual to not be naked after taking a different form is so loving stupid that trying to put it into words is causing Paradox, and using Harmony as a dice pool is especially terrible because it seems like it's trying to get dropped to <4 almost as quickly as Wisdom.

Plus everyone I know that likes it is one of those wiccan-because-it-pisses-mom-off trustafarian fuckheads who posts their results from every single "what's your spirit animal" quizzes on facebook.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't like the pseudo-religion bullshit leftover from WtA, none of the auspices strike me as actually interesting, renown is easily one of the worst mechanics in nWoD, and gifts are overly situational at best unless they're 5 dots. Needing to buy a loving ritual to not be naked after taking a different form is so loving stupid that trying to put it into words is causing Paradox, and using Harmony as a dice pool is especially terrible because it seems like it's trying to get dropped to <4 almost as quickly as Wisdom.

Plus everyone I know that likes it is one of those wiccan-because-it-pisses-mom-off trustafarian fuckheads who posts their results from every single "what's your spirit animal" quizzes on facebook.

:stare: so why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

drat. I just played it 'cause it let me kill things easier than the other lines. I was 16 and I haven't played it since then, though. I'm more interested in trying Hunter now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

I liked the Ratkin. Schizophrenic were-rat terrorists? What's not to like! (i'm sure there's something rape-y that I've forgotten. I mean, it's WtA.)

The most notable problem with Ratkin is that their special weird-rear end subtypes could be dumb as poo poo and often had really broken mechanics.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yawgmoth posted:

As much as I like Werewolf, it's easily my favorite line, I gotta agree with pretty much all of this. The game used to have a huge furry population but they all migrated over to Changeling: The Lost.

Renown is a pretty bad mechanic. Either cost as much or higher than Mage Arcana with none of the benefits of it. Renown is really nothing more than bragging rights.

Looking for your Werewolf to get respect in the hisil? You're looking to spend at least 68XP to raise your renown to make you worth that respect if you started with only 3 as per the werewolf creation rules.

Gifts are stupid as gently caress. So are rites.

I do like the Harmony system though because it does stress how far away a Werewolves mindset is from a normal person. Where as vampire or Mage with high Humanity/Wisdom needs to roll cause they pick-pocketed some one, a werewolf doesn't. Because their victim "obviously wasn't strong enough to stop me." :smugdog:

Harmony also comes with a huge downside to having it low. Spirits like you less and you even get some OCD spirit ban ontop of your derangement. One of the biggest themes of the game is trying to keep Harmony up and the difficulty of it.

Kavak posted:

drat. I just played it 'cause it let me kill things easier than the other lines.
This is far from the truth. Any other splat can easily kick a werewolves rear end. Mechanically, they are the weakest of all the lines.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Volume posted:

This is far from the truth. Any other splat can easily kick a werewolves rear end. Mechanically, they are the weakest of all the lines.

But they suffered the least consequences in the Morality track- sort of. Blame me being a teenager and only having chatroom-based games to play.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Volume posted:

"Yo I can carry around a 75mm howitzer like a shotgun" just doesn't carry the same oomph when the other guy can turn you into a bowl of petunias.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Der Waffle Mous posted:

"Yo I can carry around a 75mm howitzer like a shotgun" just doesn't carry the same oomph when the other guy can turn you into a bowl of petunias.

"Not again."
- A werewolf player upon encountering Mages

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

... and not suffer any consequences for murdering in public.

That's one of my big problems with Werewolf. Vampires, Mages, and the other splats have the ability to just mow down mortals, sure, but they generally have to at least make an effort to be subtle. Vamps have The Masquerade. Mages have Paradox.

Werewolves have Delirium, which... is a magical effect that makes anybody who sees a werewolf forget about it or rationalize it away.

This means that there's little to no incentive to not just solve every problem by saying, "I flip out, shift to Crinos, and go H.A.M. on anything that gets in my way." Gifts never get used because consequence-free shapeshifting and regeneration are just too drat useful. There's little to no character variety because, at the end of the day, you're just a guy who can turn into a big wolf.

Every game turns into "X-Men, but everybody's playing Wolverine."

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 2, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simian_Prime posted:

... and not suffer any consequences for murdering in public.

That's one of my big problems with Werewolf. Vampires, Mages, and the other splats have the ability to just mow down mortals, sure, but they generally have to at least make an effort to be subtle. Vamps have The Masquerade. Mages have Paradox.

Werewolves have Delirium, which... is a magical effect that makes anybody who sees a werewolf forget about it or rationalize it away. This means that there's little to no incentive to not just solve every problem by saying, "I flip out, shift to Crinos, and go H.A.M. on anything that gets in my way." Gifts never get used because consequence-free shapeshifting and regeneration are just too drat useful.
Yes and no. You're right that Lunacy does work that way but doing that is going to lead to problems. People going to start going on a witch hunt for the crazy animals that keep attacking people. There is also either a system or a very strong nudge to the Storyteller that if you shift in front of enough people they'll turn into an angry mob and try to lynch you. Storytellers are also very encouraged to have some werewolf hunters come up if it keeps happening.

Simian_Prime posted:

There's little to no character variety because, at the end of the day, you're just a guy who can turn into a big world.

Every game turns into "X-Men, but everybody's playing Wolverine."
Really gotta disagree with the lack of character variety. There are many ways an Auspice can be used with in a tribe. You got your archtypes sure but you are by no means limited to those.

Error 404 posted:

"Not again."
- A werewolf player upon encountering Mages

You may be joking but as some one who used to play on chatrooms where it was one big city with all the game lines, that's exactly how I felt when ever a Mage entered the room.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mors Rattus posted:

The most notable problem with Ratkin is that their special weird-rear end subtypes could be dumb as poo poo and often had really broken mechanics.

For WtA, that's like going to a restaurant and getting steak is great except maybe a little too salty, while the rest of the restaurant is dining on rotting meat and human feces.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Volume posted:

You may be joking but as some one who used to play on chatrooms where it was one big city with all the game lines, that's exactly how I felt when ever a Mage entered the room.

'sup underpowered buddy. :smith::hf::smith: Where'd you play?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On the moderated White Wolf chat. Then when that closed down I went to Wanton Wicked. I haven't played in a long time. People on those chats take their game way too seriously. My life has been a lot better and stress free since I quit those games.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Volume posted:

On the moderated White Wolf chat. Then when that closed down I went to Wanton Wicked. I haven't played in a long time. People on those chats take their game way too seriously. My life has been a lot better and stress free since I quit those games.

Moderated chat then a small one called An End To Dreams, which I left in the summer of 2007. I haven't played a WoD game since then.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That was the nice thing about those chats, you could play on your time instead of juggling a to get a bunch of people together around a table.

Just not the worth the trouble of being harassed after a scene because your character said something mean to another character and here's a whole list of why you're stupid and wrong and my character has more XP than your character so I am a better person than you in real life and on and on and on.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

I will now use these people in my game but skip the whole subtype thing- the idea of what are basically Mole People terrorists makes me happy.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The coolest book in the whole Forsaken line was Predators, iirc, the one where it has the Azlu spider-demons which were cool gross and scary as hell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Volume posted:

Ahahaha, wanton wicked. I remember those guys. They have something like 5 pages of houserules for each splat, every thing and each level of things with >1 level (like for example, attributes) has a tier rating and you can only have X amount of tier Y. Which is poo poo like "having more than 2 dots in a skill" or "having an attribute at 1 or 4". And when you spend experience, you have to buy up like 10 other things before you buy that first thing up again. Not to mention having to write a thesis on why you should be allowed the honor of buying Auspex 3 or whatever.

I went there with the intention of playing a game, but they made it clear that if you want to actually play you have to go through an amount of micromanaging bullshit that the Seers would flinch at.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Ahahaha, wanton wicked. I remember those guys. They have something like 5 pages of houserules for each splat, every thing and each level of things with >1 level (like for example, attributes) has a tier rating and you can only have X amount of tier Y. Which is poo poo like "having more than 2 dots in a skill" or "having an attribute at 1 or 4". And when you spend experience, you have to buy up like 10 other things before you buy that first thing up again. Not to mention having to write a thesis on why you should be allowed the honor of buying Auspex 3 or whatever.

I went there with the intention of playing a game, but they made it clear that if you want to actually play you have to go through an amount of micromanaging bullshit that the Seers would flinch at.

This is my problem with most forum or chat games- they forget about fun and want you to have to justify everything (which makes sense sometimes.. but other times..)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Raepdog posted:

This is my problem with most forum or chat games- they forget about fun and want you to have to justify everything (which makes sense sometimes.. but other times..)
It's been my experience that this is only a problem with "persistent world" games. Since you don't want newbies to be so divorced from the first players you end up having to contrive reasons for Aegon the 700xp elder to not have bought up every core discipline and his bloodline to 5 and using them all to crush Billy the neonate who just joined last week. But they never work because everyone (here) knows how poorly not having XP parity works out between players.

I remember on a different PW someone went it, made a daeva, and proceeded to teach everyone majesty X, in exchange for a level X vinculum. About 2-3 weeks later, there was a post by the ST saying he was getting a ton of complaints about everyone firing off majesty in every single scene. As in, 3 people enter a room, and each of them rolls for majesty 1 immediately. So funny. And they wondered why I refused to play vampire with them!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
So, the W20 kickstarter is now 91% funded after 9 hours. By the time it's done this'll hopefully encourage fancy versions of Mummy, Demon and M20, even if you're not a fan of the old werewolves!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they'll be able to hire an editor!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flavivirus posted:

So, the W20 kickstarter is now 91% funded after 9 hours. By the time it's done this'll hopefully encourage fancy versions of Mummy, Demon and M20, even if you're not a fan of the old werewolves!

poo poo man, I would buy it right now if they put out D20 and a translation guide. Or just the TG, really. I have almost all the DtF books.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Yawgmoth posted:

poo poo man, I would buy it right now if they put out D20 and a translation guide. Or just the TG, really. I have almost all the DtF books.

Ah, I was talking about the NWoD Demon out next year. Still, at least that's likely to bring about a translation guide at some point.

(Unfortunately if they stick to the publishing trend we'd have to get through C20 before getting a chance to get Wraith20 and Demon20 :( )

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Haha, yeah, gently caress paying for that WtA20 physical copy, jesus.

Make a Wraith20, you assholes! I want to throw money at that!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flavivirus posted:

Ah, I was talking about the NWoD Demon out next year. Still, at least that's likely to bring about a translation guide at some point.
demon translation guide is slated to come out like a month before the new demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'll probably pay 100-something for Mage 20th, if I get the chance to save up for it. :shobon:

• Locked thread