Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cculos
Apr 8, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

Rearranged my rock work, I think I like it a bunch more this way.

Looks nice! What kind of lighting setup are you using? Is that a 40g?

Also, what in the world is that thing in teh top right corner?

EDIT: New zoos!

cculos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
45 gal, its been through a ton and was given to me from my father who couldn't keep up on the amount of work needed. He originally purchased the tank in 1990, its been through quite a few moves and the glass is scratched to hell but it does the job. At least until I (hopefully) upgrade to 100 gal next year. Lighting is the 48led kit from Aquastyleonline.com, that's not finished as I need to swap out the drivers I am currently using to ones that will play nice with the Boostled Typhoon. Also I want to add another string of blues.

The thing in the corner is my sea cucumber Nathaniel. Here's a better shot of him feeding

cculos
Apr 8, 2005
How much did the Aquastyle kit cost you? Was it a lot of labor? What kind of LEDs are being used?

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Do you have any recommendations for what kits would be most appropriate for a standard 90 gallon tank? I looked at the 108 and 120 LED kits, and I was thinking that one of those split into two pendants would probably be sufficient, but aquastyleonline doesn't seem to have that information available.

cculos
Apr 8, 2005

Melchior posted:

Do you have any recommendations for what kits would be most appropriate for a standard 90 gallon tank? I looked at the 108 and 120 LED kits, and I was thinking that one of those split into two pendants would probably be sufficient, but aquastyleonline doesn't seem to have that information available.

I just noticed that the Aquastyle kits are 3w. So a 90g tank would put you at 320w total output for 120 LEDs. That's a pretty intense amount of light. What are you planning on growing in the tank?

EDIT: What are the dimensions of your tank?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Depending on the dimensions you might do fine with like 60 LEDs, even then you probably could dial it back some (but still have that many for coverage/spectrum/"high noon"-ish purposes).

cculos
Apr 8, 2005
Yeah 120 3w LEDs seemed a bit overkill to me.

As a side note; I've had a percula that has pretty much had its run of the roost for around 7-8 months. But I've noticed it starting to host some of the corals in the tank.

Would it be too risky to intro a new clown into the mix and hope they pair up? I dont want them killing each other. I've had it happen before.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
We've talked about this before in IM, but a "dom" true perc attacking to the point of killing a potential mate is a fairly rare thing--though I've had it happen to me (at least, that's my best guess) but she must've done it overnight. One day everything was fine, the next day the mated male was a floater. She's now producing regular egg clutches with another male.

I'd be comfortable with getting a "sub" juvie in there again just to see what would happen.

For additional content, now that we've finally moved our office locations (after being in "temporary space" for 2.5 years) I've decided to finally go ahead and start up a work tank.

I just bought a JBJ nanocube 8gal for cheap (the "RL" variety they only have a flyer for on the site), the plan is primarily to shift some of the softies from my home tanks:

1) 1 neon green polyps on neon green flesh toadstool
2) 1 glowing neon green on neon green sinularia flexibilis (you rarely see these available anymore except out of hobbyist tanks, just the darker minty green ones)
3) 1 neon green sinularia brassica
4) 1 "rare" (ha!) palau nepthea
5) as I think of it, but probably some of my ricordeas and other mushrooms

Obviously, with that color combination of corals, I'm thinking a custom LED fixture going WAY heavy on the blue/royal blue combos with only a few whites. This "should" also have the benefit of cutting down on potential algae growth, shifting whatever nutrients in the water to the softies.

For a critter, I'm thinking my small mantis shrimp. (I think it's a G. ternatensis, but I could be wrong ...)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 29, 2012

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

cculos posted:

I just noticed that the Aquastyle kits are 3w. So a 90g tank would put you at 320w total output for 120 LEDs. That's a pretty intense amount of light. What are you planning on growing in the tank?

EDIT: What are the dimensions of your tank?

The dimensions of my tank are a standard 48x23x18 90g rectangle. I grow about 60-70% SPS, so my light requirements are pretty intense. Right now I've got a 2x250 14k phoenix + 2 54w actinic t5 fixture above it.

The aquastyleonline guys suggested the 108 or 120 kit for growing SPS. Their kits are dimmable so it's not like I'd be running it at full blast at all times - more like 40-65%. The Taotronics chinese pendants are 54 3w LEDs as well, so that comes out the same as the 108 LED kit. Either way it is about the same price - around $350-400 for lighting.

The main reason I want to go LED is I like the color options (MH is good for growth but I don't have enough supplemental lighting for it to be blue enough for my tastes) and saving money on the electric bill. I'm rocking 600W+ right now on ONE tank.

cculos
Apr 8, 2005

Melchior posted:

The dimensions of my tank are a standard 48x23x18 90g rectangle. I grow about 60-70% SPS, so my light requirements are pretty intense. Right now I've got a 2x250 14k phoenix + 2 54w actinic t5 fixture above it.

The aquastyleonline guys suggested the 108 or 120 kit for growing SPS. Their kits are dimmable so it's not like I'd be running it at full blast at all times - more like 40-65%. The Taotronics chinese pendants are 54 3w LEDs as well, so that comes out the same as the 108 LED kit. Either way it is about the same price - around $350-400 for lighting.

The main reason I want to go LED is I like the color options (MH is good for growth but I don't have enough supplemental lighting for it to be blue enough for my tastes) and saving money on the electric bill. I'm rocking 600W+ right now on ONE tank.

I suppose I understand the need for more LEDs to grow SPS, but then you say you're only planning at running an average of 50% brightness? Why not just get something with half the LEDs and run at full / close to full power? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious. I'm entertaining the idea of LEDs myself.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

cculos posted:

I suppose I understand the need for more LEDs to grow SPS, but then you say you're only planning at running an average of 50% brightness? Why not just get something with half the LEDs and run at full / close to full power? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious. I'm entertaining the idea of LEDs myself.

Nah I understand. Reason is I'm eventually going to be upgrading to a bigger, maybe deeper tank. You can never have enough potential for additional light ;)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The way I understand it, 50-60 LEDs in the standard 2-2.5" distance mounted together, run at 750mA instead of the full 1000mA (or thereabouts, depending on generation of LEDs, i.e. CREE XREs vs XPG, etc.) equals roughly a 400W MH bulb at a typical height of 1' above water. Though if you're upgrading tanks by footprint (though you speak of depth) you may need to consider something a bit more ambitious.

Here's what I'd do, depending on your most likely next tank upgrade: Buy up to 4 individual heatsinks, then rearrange to heart's content when you hang them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 30, 2012

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
Both clowns are doing well now. The new one has a bit of a ripped fin, but all the aggression has stopped. They don't even scuffle when I feed. The larger hosts in the green bubble tip I bought, the new guy hosts in my green tonga/elephant ear mushroom.

As long as they aren't fighting I guess I'm happy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Terminal Philosphy posted:

Both clowns are doing well now. The new one has a bit of a ripped fin, but all the aggression has stopped. They don't even scuffle when I feed. The larger hosts in the green bubble tip I bought, the new guy hosts in my green tonga/elephant ear mushroom.

As long as they aren't fighting I guess I'm happy.

Just a heads up, elephant ears are notorious for closing up and eating sleeping fish.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
My tank is being featured this month over at nano-reef.com!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hypnotized posted:

Awesomeeeeee. Congrats man!

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just a heads up, elephant ears are notorious for closing up and eating sleeping fish.

I was worried about exactly that. How can I discourage the behaviour? Does it involve getting rid of the EE?

Hypnotized posted:

Absolutely love that hammer coral. Congrats on the wonderful looking tank.

Terminal Philosphy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 2, 2012

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Loaned my camera to my boss for the weekend and in return he gave me a new coral frag. Some sort of green polyp leather. Here it is under some blue light

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

Absolutely love that hammer coral. Congrats on the wonderful looking tank.

I can't agree more on that hammer, its exactly how I envision mine looking when I get my reef tank going!!

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Henchman 21, check your PMs.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Melchior posted:

Henchman 21, check your PMs.

Checked and replied :)

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks guys

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, old picture.. but:

We're 90% sure we just watched this guy spawn in my tank. The column was crawling with little green beads, too neon to be shrimp eggs from the cleaner, but almost perfectly round enough to be baby coral polyps.

Hopefully they start popping up all over, because that'd be awesome. I turned the skimmer off for the night, we'll see what they were in a month or so I guess.

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
Why does this hobby have to be so expensive? I've been reading up on smaller reef tanks for a few weeks now and I think this is what I want to try and set up.

Tank - 17 gallon frameless (24 inches wide)
Filter - HOB AC 70
Lighting - 24 inch T5
Heater - 50w
Powerhead - not sure yet

My goal is to be more focused on corals with 1-2 fish in the tank. I plan on using live rock, and I read a suggestion that using dead sand with a scoop of live sand was a good idea when starting a tank. I probably need to read up on everything more, but am I missing any key components with this build?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Xeus posted:

Why does this hobby have to be so expensive? I've been reading up on smaller reef tanks for a few weeks now and I think this is what I want to try and set up.

Filter - HOB AC 70
Lighting - 24 inch T5
Heater - 50w
Powerhead - not sure yet

My goal is to be more focused on corals with 1-2 fish in the tank. I plan on using live rock, and I read a suggestion that using dead sand with a scoop of live sand was a good idea when starting a tank. I probably need to read up on everything more, but am I missing any key components with this build?

I mean, there are a million options for what you want to do. I just set up my 50 cube with 90 pounds of dead sand and like a cup of established live sand from my nano and it was worked out fine. I used Aragamax select and i'm extremely glad I did. I didn't think sand would be a big deal but the clean, consistently sized grains and weight of the grains really makes things look good in the tank.

If you're going to use an AC70 for filtration, I would consider a media basket like this:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-70-Media-Basket-AC70MR.htm

Or make your own. A little mini fuge would be nice.

Also, for lighting something that small, you should look into a Par38 bulb from Ledtric or Ecoxotic Panorama strips. All of this stuff can be found used all day on nano-reef and RC for sale forums.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Xeus posted:

Filter - HOB AC 70
Lighting - 24 inch T5
Heater - 50w
Powerhead - not sure yet

If you are trying to save a little cash you could order some base rock for cheap from reefcleaners and seed it with a couple lbs live rock. How much is the light you are looking at?

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE

Henchman 21 posted:

If you are trying to save a little cash you could order some base rock for cheap from reefcleaners and seed it with a couple lbs live rock. How much is the light you are looking at?

Found one for 125 on ebay. I figure if it isn't good enough, our doesn't work out I can just use it for a planted tank

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
Hot dog! Clowns are sharing the green bubble tip. Lights came on this morning and both are full on dance club grinding on the thing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hot dog! Clowns are sharing the green bubble tip. Lights came on this morning and both are full on dance club grinding on the thing.

Awesome :woop: now you can keep your EE shroom :D

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
Yeah I have two of them in there, and really like the look. I do think one will have to go though. The GBT took up residence on a rock just below it, and the EE is getting pretty big. Just have to watch them and see how things go.

One of these days I'll get around to posting some pictures. Just right now I'm ashamed as I have a serious hair algae issue that I've been fighting.

I work a 12-15hr shift. So I was waking up, turning on lights, then ahhh... leaving lights on for 12-15 hours a day. I've got it on a timer now(7 hours) and have been hitting water changes hard.

I get my water tested weekly at a shop and everything looks good. Everyone seems to be doing well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok, ricordea are stupid...I bought one that was glued to a piece of lr, and it was good for a few weeks where I put it. Then a week ago it detached itself from the rock and was hanging out at the bottom of the tank. From what I had read, if the flow or lighting is too strong, they'll detach themselves and move somewhere else. Well it stayed on the sand for a few days and I would try and place it on rocks in low flow areas. Today...I can't find the drat thing. I'm guessing its hiding in some nook, but who knows...any ideas or what to do if I find it?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

nwin posted:

Ok, ricordea are stupid...I bought one that was glued to a piece of lr, and it was good for a few weeks where I put it. Then a week ago it detached itself from the rock and was hanging out at the bottom of the tank. From what I had read, if the flow or lighting is too strong, they'll detach themselves and move somewhere else. Well it stayed on the sand for a few days and I would try and place it on rocks in low flow areas. Today...I can't find the drat thing. I'm guessing its hiding in some nook, but who knows...any ideas or what to do if I find it?

I think the popular trick is to put the ricordea and a piece of rubble in a shot glass and turn it over in the tank. Eventually it will attach, or so the theory goes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

I think the popular trick is to put the ricordea and a piece of rubble in a shot glass and turn it over in the tank. Eventually it will attach, or so the theory goes.

Or put it in a shotglass with some gauze (rinsed of course) over the top with a rubberband to secure it, it will attach to the rubble at the bottom of the glass assuming it's not in direct flow.

Yeah I have two of them in there, and really like the look. I do think one will have to go though. The GBT took up residence on a rock just below it, and the EE is getting pretty big. Just have to watch them and see how things go.

One of these days I'll get around to posting some pictures. Just right now I'm ashamed as I have a serious hair algae issue that I've been fighting.

I work a 12-15hr shift. So I was waking up, turning on lights, then ahhh... leaving lights on for 12-15 hours a day. I've got it on a timer now(7 hours) and have been hitting water changes hard.

I get my water tested weekly at a shop and everything looks good. Everyone seems to be doing well.

What are you feeding? If you're feeding frozen, rinse it with RO before you put it in your tank, helped me cut out the GHA in about a month's time. That + manual removal

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
I'll start rinsing the food. Yes it's been frozen mysis and cyclopeze. I've been working on manual removal, it's a bit rough, if I didn't have things growing all over the rock I'd just give it a bath and hit it with the tooth brush.

I was battling bubble algae that snuck in on my pagoda cup(beautiful coral for $15 size of a baseball) but a couple of emerald crabs dealt with it within a week or two.

Hypnotized
Nov 2, 2004

What's your water source?

Terminal Philosphy
Jan 23, 2009
I've got a 6 stage RO/DI system that a friend gave me that I've been using. I am starting to think the calibration may be off and I know I need to start replacing the filters on the thing.

I'm going to take in a sample from my RO bucket this weekend when I go visit my LFS. While I replace the filters though and get my calibration in check I will be using the water I get from the shop for my top offs/changes.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
New project:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nice, welcome to the office tank club :neckbeard:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is that the Innovative Marine 30g? Looks really cool. Let us know how you like it. Been thinking about getting one of their models for MY GIRLFRIEND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

It looks closer to an 8g or maybe 14g cube.

• Locked thread