Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

General Maximus posted:

They're still there, but locked unless you convert them to silver. Which means taking one of the predetermined archetypes instead of the freeform power selection subscribers get. Most of said archetypes aren't too terrible.

Note that if you convert them down now, you can't convert them back up if you later choose to resub. You can convert a character once, period. In either direction, but only once per character.

Not... exactly? I downgraded my main to silver when the game first went F2P, and he can upgrade to gold now, over a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I had a bunch of gold-level characters that I hadn't played since last year, so I ended up downgrading a couple of them to silver level so I could play F2P. Then I got a couple of game time cards off of Amazon the other day, and applied one of the codes, which put my account back at "subscribed" status.

After I did that, I could play the gold-level characters I hadn't downgraded just fine...but it wouldn't let me play the silver-level characters at all. I had to upgrade them back to gold-level to play them first. :iiam:

(E: I should note that this is not a complaint, though, as I was happy to take the silver-level dudes back and retcon them to get them some better powers and whatnot. :v:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 1, 2012

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Cuchulain posted:

Not... exactly? I downgraded my main to silver when the game first went F2P, and he can upgrade to gold now, over a year later.

Really? Huh, I thought you only got one in either direction. (One free that is, as I was rightfully corrected.) Maybe they changed it to one each way, which would make far more sense anyway.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Once for free. You can pay, but don't do that.

They're locked until you convert them down which involves picking an archetype and probably redoing costumes.

Yeah I found that. Now I just find myself wishing I could see what they had so I could know if I wanted to convert them or not, given that i's been years.

Ah well, I just created a Grimoire (such wacky AT names), and I'm in as @Valsione if we have a channel or something.

Also, why are like, almost all of the travel powers unavailable? I don't mean the ones that you have to buy, but there are a bunch that are just greyed out for no apparent reason, or say that they're only available to 'Legacy Crafters'.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 1, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some TPs are buyable with Recognition or Questionite. One is for Veterans, one was a Fourth of July event unlock, at least one is only unlocked by buying a device bundle... There's probably more I'm forgetting.

Crafting used to have one TP device per school. When crafting got removed, anyone with a device got the TP unlocked globally.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The device-based crafting powers are also just alternate named versions of ones currently available through some other methods. I think the magic flight and the R.A.D. Sphere one are both available through Questionite, but they're named more generically than the device variants. Then there's stuff like Darkspeed which is a travel power but it's not a real TP, it's a clone of Lightspeed but a black trail and only available as a rare drop from a certain boss I think.

There's nothing you can't ever get right now, though Flag Speed isn't available at the moment obviously, as a seasonal thing.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 1, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All 3 of them are available for Questionite.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So I'm comign back to this game as sort of a side project, I really don'tlike it but CoX is probably gonna die and a lot of people are coming here for RP.

Can someone give me some pointers for a Power Armor-based Freeform character? I don't intend to play this game much, but if I'm going to I might as well be good at it. What sort of Superstats should I pick? I'll probably be going almost entirely with the ranged attacks, and with those preferably the non-laser ones, solely because then it looks like the only logical explanation is that the suit is literally made entirely out of guns and ammo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

There's nothing you can't ever get right now, though Flag Speed isn't available at the moment obviously, as a seasonal thing.

Millenial Flight is close.

That's a good thing, though. We don't need that in the hands of the common man. No one man should have all that power.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A joke made in a global channel has turned into something monstrous... Behold, The Fatman.

Not the hero America needs, but the one it deserves...

Look at those man-boobs. The source of his immense... power.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm doing a big nerd thing and putting together a comprehensive video about CO's character creation/costume editor thing, since I've had a number of friends from other games(mostly CoH) feel like they couldn't figure out how to do what they wanted to do with it. As far as costume editors go, it is pretty complex. I want to get an in-depth explanation about the asymmetry and glowing bits and weirdly hidden options-within-options so people know how to make better things.

So I'd like to get a lot of screenshots together of some cool poo poo people have done with the editor to show off in said video. Just pick your favorite costume, or most impressive or bizzare things you've made, hop in the greenscreen room in the powerhouse, crank up your settings and turn off the UI and get some nice shots. The stuff people here will give me is going to be leaps and bounds beyond the stuff I'll get from anywhere else I ask to do this, so it'd be cool if people could send things my way either via PMs or just posting in the thread I guess.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Warmachine posted:

A joke made in a global channel has turned into something monstrous... Behold, The Fatman.

Not the hero America needs, but the one it deserves...

Look at those man-boobs. The source of his immense... power.

I've been fatter.

So much fat, I got fat-ridges on my back. :gonk:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That is horrible and I am laughing my rear end off hate you. :gonk:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Rest in peace, any semblance of this game being difficult.

Estimated time of death: The moment I turned on the Hawkwing Interceptor.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Rest in peace, any semblance of this game being difficult.

Estimated time of death: The moment I turned on the Hawkwing Interceptor.

To be fair, you had something else. You had the power of Melon.

Speaking of, how does Club Caprice react to Melon?

[Tell] EvoneScythe@EvoneBlade: (im eqileptic please dont)
[Tell] To EvoneScythe@EvoneBlade: And the strobe lights don't bother you?
[Tell] EvoneScythe@EvoneBlade: (bright lights could make me have a fit... )

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 2, 2012

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I don't know what Melon is, but I'm disappointed there's not screenshots of it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I made myself a tank spec that's probably awful. Yaaaaay. :v:

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 6, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I was running Ninjas Don't Use Guns through some of the tutorial before I go do that whole sleep thing. What happened to The Flash Kinetic? He used to show up in a cage to rescue them from, but they don't seem to spawn anymore. Just a normal batch of enemies and no cage with big bug guarding it.

The wiki list for the Tutorial missions has no mention of him, but it still says you can get "We Are The Champions" Perk from the tutorial, which requires talking to Kinetic.

And it's okay Cuchulian. I'll probably fail spectacularly with my Munitions with Super Reflexes build after not having touched this game in forever. Though I do know I'll be throwing Two-Guns mojo into the trash and replacing it with Assault Rifle, and getting rank three Shotgun ASAP :hellyeah:

Oh, shotgun. What fun times we had before they patched you to not cause infinite air juggling. Instead having to content myself with mulching all low level minions I came across with ease.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 6, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Kinetic is by the ramp that leads into the Champ HQ in the tutorial still.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since we have some new people, a reminder: We don't do lazy, typical goon trolling stuff under The Supergoons banner.

Feel free, just drop SG temporarily if you do.

If you keep the banner up, you need to be funny and/or creative about it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I hope that wasn't directed at me. I don't even have an alt in SuperGoon anymore. :v:

And my shenanigans are always of the highest caliber. :colbert:

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 6, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know what? I've never tried Ice. This is a crime that I desire to fix, even if Ice is sub par or something (probably doesn't compare to GIGABOLT :black101:, but still).

Intentions of Ice Form or something, particular advice or quirks about Ice Style I should know about? Not looking for somebody to hand me a whole build, just some insight with an unfamiliar set.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a bit weaker than the other elemental sets (lacking a big MEGANUKE thing) but not bad, you'll want to grab Avalanche ASAP (since it's a high-damage easy to use AoE with some crowd control, and most leveling fights are groups of weak trash), you'll probably want to have a focus on Dex/crits (for the Cold Snap buff off Ice Form), and you'll want Shatter sooner than later (since you'll be layering enough chills to make ice prisons even if you don't have an active ice-wall-summoner spell).

S'about all I can think of, really. :pseudo:

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Refugee from CoX here, I decided to drop my refund into a month of Gold to try out the freeform system. So far I'm working on a solo Infernal-focused character. I just hit level 23, and the build's here.

I've been basically unkillable up to now thanks to Devour Essence and Regeneration, and everything just melts under Epidemic. Unfortunately, my energy consumption is just ridiculous - even with Supernatural Power I have trouble keeping my maintain powers up their entire length. I really like the Devour Essence/Epidemic combo, but I'm not too sure about my super-stats, Specialization choices, or whether I should be using Aspect of the Infernal. Anyone here care to weigh in?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't have much experience with Supernatural, but yeah with Regeneration and any other heals you're basically not going to be killed by anything short of a group boss. You definitely want Aspect of the Infernal though (and in general, the "Form" power that goes with your main powerset) since the boost to damage way more than outweights the tiny cost to endurance. I wouldn't worry about being able to fully maintain stuff either unless it's actually causing you problems; if you can only maintain something for five out of eight potential ticks, but you're killing them in three, does it really matter? Devour Essence is rather costly to use too due to the heal component, so that's a factor.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
The biggest issue is the Outbreak advantage for Epidemic - maintaining it the full duration is a major difference in damage. Also, I picked up Defile at level 23, and if I want to use it as an opener, I have to run my energy builder for a few seconds before I can charge in and start Epidemic-ing, which really slows things down. Oddly enough, Devour Essence is the least of my worries - when I have enough energy to start it, Supernatural Power keeps it running the full duration. It's only Epidemic where I bottom out.

Super-stat choice is where I'm really wondering; the two Infernal frameworks use Recovery as a primary, and Strength only really helps one component of one power. And I don't have a lot of high-recharge powers, so Intelligence isn't doing much. But at the same time, the Strength specializations offer some good defensive options and I like tossing cars around and being hard to kill.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Green Bean posted:

Refugee from CoX here, I decided to drop my refund into a month of Gold to try out the freeform system. So far I'm working on a solo Infernal-focused character. I just hit level 23, and the build's here.

Does anybody else have a serious problem with overloading their builds with attack powers? Like, I look at this guy's build and go "what, you only have like two non-energy builders for the first 20 levels?! :supaburn:" Someone help me, I'm addicted to endless varieties of punching things.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

It's the hardest thing about shifting from CoX builds to CO, honestly. When designing a character in CoH, just for damage you need an attack chain, often including several single target and AoE abilities each. In CO you need to make sure each of your bases is covered re: Single Target, AoE, etc, but often one or two powers will completely fill that part of the character.

The metagame of CoH is about set synergies and exploiting strengths or covering weaknesses. Starting off much more rigid and granting later variety as you advance.

The CO metagame is reversed, granting effectively limitless freedom at the start and narrowing as you start to rely on more direct power synergy.

The biggest pitfalls of making a bad build are also in exact opposition: In CoH it's very easy to forget to cover for your characters built in weaknesses with your build, becoming unstoppable in one area while leaving you with gaping holes in your defenses/damage/etc, while in CO it's easy to spread yourself too thin, doing everything but only poorly.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Sort of related to the build posted above... does Devour Essence scale with strength or ego? The powerhouse says it's melee damage which suggests strength, but being the sole melee power in an otherwise ranged set I could see it having a thing like ego blades do where they specifically scale with ego despite being melee powers. Does devour essence have the same?

Actually more generally useful - which powers are weird like that and scale with something other than what you'd expect?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about the brick Chain powers. I was trying to make a gimmick all chains all the time guy and wanted to know if they scaled off Might or Ego.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
All I really know about CO character building is that it's ridiculously easy to turn into a one-power wonder, or at least a character with 90% dud powers. My Scourge character's battle plan is almost always such:

Step 1: Defile
Step 2: Epidemic
Step 3: Repeat step 2 as necessary

Deviating from this plan ends in me being noticeably less effective than if I did not. Defile can also be safely ignored if I'm fighting a group instead of primarily one target.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 7, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My new build for Mecha Monkey is actually a lot of fun because he has multiple buttons he gets to press.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

All I really know about CO character building is that it's ridiculously easy to turn into a one-power wonder, or at least a character with 90% dud powers. My Scourge character's battle plan is almost always such:

Step 1: Defile
Step 2: Epidemic
Step 3: Repeat step 2 as necessary

Deviating from this plan ends in me being noticeably less effective than if I did not. Defile can also be safely ignored if I'm fighting a group instead of primarily one target.
This is why I'm interested in trying out Ice, after my previous Didn't Even Hit 20 Electric and Munitions guys in the past.

Lightning guy (after I stripped out his default started for Sparkstorm) fighting consisted of...

Sparkstorm to kill minions things while blocking thanks to it's insane advantage. Which evolved into...
Gigabolt to kill minions and damage harder targets.
Lightning Arc maintain for hard single targets. Or even Sparkstorm and Lightning Arc at the SAME TIME when my energy max was on the upswing.

Munitions guy, after stripping out Two-Guns Mojo starter for Assault rifle consisted of...

Murder all minions easily with rank 3 shotgun, which often fed itself infinite ammo from crit energy passive.
Assault rifle for Harder single targets.

Lightning and Munitions had auto-passives for their main gimmicks, so no thought. At least with ice, I'll MAYBE have to think about the chill gimmicks a bit more, and unless that Default power is hardcore, work my way up to a higher energy needs single target power I probably can't just spam. And then wanting fun stuff like ice cage and wall of ice. It's not as clear cut "These two powers. All done"

EDIT: Speaking of ice, is there a Dex/Ego/Recovery friendly Innate? I'm not seeing one but I could just be missing it. And two seconds later I find The Disciple/Remember about The Soldier. Safe to assume Recovery matters more than Ego on Ice due to it's old baggage?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 7, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Does anybody else have a serious problem with overloading their builds with attack powers? Like, I look at this guy's build and go "what, you only have like two non-energy builders for the first 20 levels?! :supaburn:" Someone help me, I'm addicted to endless varieties of punching things.

I usually go with lots of attacks until 35ish because you don't really need much to survive levelling, then respec into a key powers setup.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So apparently in a drunken stupor I bought a lifetime sub to this game back when it came out. With CoH on the way out, I suppose I'll come back and check this out again for my superhero needs.

My question - if I like a pet-heavy class, am I better off with Gadgeteering or Sorcery?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder-Did Gigabolt EVER get hit with the nerf hammer everyone was expecting given how ridiculous it was for energy and damage?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

So apparently in a drunken stupor I bought a lifetime sub to this game back when it came out. With CoH on the way out, I suppose I'll come back and check this out again for my superhero needs.

My question - if I like a pet-heavy class, am I better off with Gadgeteering or Sorcery?

Both!

Bloodly posted:

I wonder-Did Gigabolt EVER get hit with the nerf hammer everyone was expecting given how ridiculous it was for energy and damage?

Yes, they nerfed Death Arc.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Section Z posted:

You know what? I've never tried Ice. This is a crime that I desire to fix, even if Ice is sub par or something (probably doesn't compare to GIGABOLT :black101:, but still).

Intentions of Ice Form or something, particular advice or quirks about Ice Style I should know about? Not looking for somebody to hand me a whole build, just some insight with an unfamiliar set.

4 prime attacks for optimal play of ice:

Ice Blast w/ Serrated Shards
Frost Breath w/ Frost Bite
Shatter, depending on tastes, with or without Crushed Ice
Avalanche

Ice can very well be equated to a ranged version of single-blade: Chill is basically bleed, while Shatter is rupture (that hits multiple enemies!) Like others have said, it's not optimal, but it's not bad either. Ice Blast on an enemy with chill on them does extreme tap damage, and combined with specializations which boost blast damage, it can become an extremely solid single-target attack.

Technically, you don't need Avalanche, but it is highly recommended; it's just a good attack to have.

You can also feasibly combine Ice with Fire, using some of its powers to lower enemy defenses and also take its energy return. Namely because Ice still doesn't have one to its own name.

Bloodly posted:

The nerf was kind of indirect; Ionic Reverb doesn't restore nearly as much as it used to, so tapping Gigabolt is less of an option than it was before... Unless, of course, you're building around high energy reserves, then it still works.

Even then, Lightning Arc is probably the absolute king of all DPS so far: I've topped open mission leaderboards with that move.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

4 prime attacks for optimal play of ice:

Ice Blast w/ Serrated Shards
Frost Breath w/ Frost Bite
Shatter, depending on tastes, with or without Crushed Ice
Avalanche

Oh good, I made correct assumptions about the basics. My first powers intentions are those in that order, plus Ice Form right before Avalanche.

It's past that point where things get somewhat hazy. I figured it out on my own, but I wish there was a big sign that said "HEY KIDS! SHATTER. SHATTER IS ICE GIMMICK FOCUS", and the fact that ice objects EXPLODE. It's just so much easier to overlook than just "look for the passive power" like with Lightning and Munitions.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=1275K000000100050005105530D520557035C05550154045805DK00DL0056055B055F003UbJ3bhy3bDM

My clueless child Ice plan, I'm confident in up to level 14, past that I hit indecisive land. Ice cage looks fun plus starting on the path of making ice objects explode for more damage single target spam wise. Wall of Ice sounds fun and likely another huge explosion target (I recall waaaay back, even when I hadn't played Ice at launch people bitch that "Ice Walkers" were brokenly overpowered then about nerf hammers)

Ice barriers is waaay down because freakin 90 seconds recharge in Champs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

You can have more pets in this then you can as a Master Mind in CoH. Just take all of them. :getin: