Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Armor-Piercing posted:

For the DS/PSP version of FFIII, what would the hardest combination be for a FFV-style random class challenge? Ignoring the parts where you need Toad/Mini and I guess the dungeon where only magic really does any damage.

I figure Scholar and Evoker for the middle two crystals. I guess White Mage for the first crystal? Not sure about the last.

Edit: I guess I might as well spoiler that part since the game just came out again.

I'd actually say Thief is worse than White Mage - White Mage is harder going on, but they do eventually get access to the elemental rods that make grinding easier for the first part of the game. Thief doesn't have survivability or enough damage to matter.

For the Fire Crystal, Scholar easily.

For Water, I'm not entirely sure - Evoker is a strong candidate, but you can occasionally bust out a decent effect from Heatran or Catastro. Dark Knight is pretty flimsy and Souleater is pretty terrible near the end of the game. But I'd say go with either - they both have enough flaws at the end of the game.

For the Earth Crystal, Magus is easily its weakest job. Sage is also poor because of its low Agility, but Magus takes the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

I just hope if one good thing comes out of it, it can be something as utterly non-serious as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

I'd have enjoyed the game much more if there was dialogue like that the entire game. Just the characters goofing off and having fun. Too bad you don't really see much of that outside the Sazh/Vanille stuff and a few cutscenes in Gran Pulse.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd actually say Thief is worse than White Mage - White Mage is harder going on, but they do eventually get access to the elemental rods that make grinding easier for the first part of the game. Thief doesn't have survivability or enough damage to matter.

For the Fire Crystal, Scholar easily.

For Water, I'm not entirely sure - Evoker is a strong candidate, but you can occasionally bust out a decent effect from Heatran or Catastro. Dark Knight is pretty flimsy and Souleater is pretty terrible near the end of the game. But I'd say go with either - they both have enough flaws at the end of the game.

For the Earth Crystal, Magus is easily its weakest job. Sage is also poor because of its low Agility, but Magus takes the cake.
I'm actually interested in using both Thief and Magus (I've used all the other earth crystal jobs except Sage a little bit anyway), so that works out.

My thinking was that Evoker would be an easy choice for the worst job in the water crystal (and strong contender for worst in the game) just because the spell effects are random. If Dark Knights aren't great either though, maybe I'll use one instead so I actually have someone who can equip the Ultima Weapon.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ImpAtom posted:

None who die during the game, I think. I just noticed that Tellah and Galuf probably bring things up a whole lot. (Strago too but he survives.)

I was just thinking that a lot of the cast of FF4 appear to die (Tellah, Palom, Porom, Cid, Yang) but Tellah is the only one who stays dead.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ross posted:

I was just thinking that a lot of the cast of FF4 appear to die (Tellah, Palom, Porom, Cid, Yang) but Tellah is the only one who stays dead.

Probably the most disappointing part about FF4's plot. Almost all the sacrifices the party goes through are magically erased by the end.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I wonder if that might have been a deliberate subversion of FF2, which had a similar series of heroic sacrifices except they actually stayed dead.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Ross posted:

Hell, they death-scared Cid twice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

Hell, they death-scared Cid twice.

And Yang. And both of them ended up exploding and lived within five minutes of each other.

I'm pretty sure every playable character besides maybe FuSoYa has a near-death experience at one point or another, if not several. Even the ones who don't apparently die have close moments, like Cecil after the Leviathan attack or Rosa and the massive ball/blade.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Or Rosa and the Desert Fever or whatever, Rydia and Leviathan, Kain after the earthquake... I think Edward and Edge get off alright.

Edit:

Fungah! posted:

Edward was also in the Leviathan thing and IIRC no one was sure he'd be getting out of that bed ever again.

Shows how much I like Edward, I completely forgot he was involved in that whole ordeal.

Fake extra edit: gently caress Edward and his lovely Hide ability

Hit or miss Clitoris fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 3, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Or Rosa and the Desert Fever or whatever, Rydia and Leviathan, Kain after the earthquake... I think Edward and Edge get off alright.

Edward was also in the Leviathan thing and IIRC no one was sure he'd be getting out of that bed ever again.

e:

Shows how much I like Edward, I completely forgot he was involved in that whole ordeal.

yeah I think I'm down with that gently caress you Edward

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 3, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah it's really only Edge and FuSoYa who don't get death surprised at one point or another. Even Golbez does it at one point!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You could maybe make a case for the final party (plus G&F) getting a death scare when Zeromus shows up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah it's really only Edge and FuSoYa who don't get death surprised at one point or another. Even Golbez does it at one point!

You meet Edge after watching him get completely man-handled by Rubicant. He may have been left alive intentionally after that fight but he was still beaten half to death and alone in a cave full of monsters.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The AUTARCH OF FLAME :tipshat:

I remember being deathly afraid of this fight as an 11 year-old after a friend told me that he refills your HP and MP before he fights you.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I was re-playing my New Game + of Final Fantasy IV DS today during a slow period at work and I entered the Sealed Cave. Pretty smooth going at first, managed to destroy the Chimera Brains before they'd do big damage, and survived a couple first-turn Blazes without any deaths, so that was something. I've got Rosa wearing Adamant Armor and she's got Omnicast and Fast Talker, so I'm basically playing easy mode, but then this happened.

I encountered two Chimera Brains, and they just spammed Blaze over and over and over again, what must have been six or seven times in a row. Rosa's Adamant Armor reduced the damage to double-digits so she was barely flinching, but every time I omnicasted Raise to revive the party, it was another Blaze.

I don't know how the gently caress I put up with this complete and utter bullshit in my first playthrough. I think I might have grinded at the entrance, saving after every fight just in case it was two Chimera Brains spamming Blaze, but I don't know how I mustered the saintly patience required to actually go through that horrid hellpit the first time.

It's like the game's RNG just up and decided "Yo, hey, game over. Time to die. That's it. You're done." except it didn't count on me putting Adamant Armor on Rosa. This is some Shin Megami Tensei level bullshit right here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ross posted:

The AUTARCH OF FLAME :tipshat:

I remember being deathly afraid of this fight as an 11 year-old after a friend told me that he refills your HP and MP before he fights you.

Hit him with Fire and see how he repays the favour.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

NikkolasKing posted:

In FFXIII I only recognized Snow. I vaguely think I've heard Hope before but I'm not sure on that.

Lightning is the same VA as Liara in Mass Effect, Ali Hillis. She's also Dr. Hanson in Starcraft II.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Addendum: This is worse than SMT-level bullshit, because the best you can do is equip fire-halving gear on two characters. In SMT you can at least equip fire-immune gear or abilities.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fudge Handsome posted:

I was re-playing my New Game + of Final Fantasy IV DS today during a slow period at work and I entered the Sealed Cave. Pretty smooth going at first, managed to destroy the Chimera Brains before they'd do big damage, and survived a couple first-turn Blazes without any deaths, so that was something. I've got Rosa wearing Adamant Armor and she's got Omnicast and Fast Talker, so I'm basically playing easy mode, but then this happened.

I encountered two Chimera Brains, and they just spammed Blaze over and over and over again, what must have been six or seven times in a row. Rosa's Adamant Armor reduced the damage to double-digits so she was barely flinching, but every time I omnicasted Raise to revive the party, it was another Blaze.

I don't know how the gently caress I put up with this complete and utter bullshit in my first playthrough. I think I might have grinded at the entrance, saving after every fight just in case it was two Chimera Brains spamming Blaze, but I don't know how I mustered the saintly patience required to actually go through that horrid hellpit the first time.

It's like the game's RNG just up and decided "Yo, hey, game over. Time to die. That's it. You're done." except it didn't count on me putting Adamant Armor on Rosa. This is some Shin Megami Tensei level bullshit right here.

Hahahaha, gently caress Chimera Brains.

I know in the original games, the damage from their Blaze attacks go down as you weaken them. Of course, good luck doing that when they're spamming it like a motherfucker.

Which is funny because Edward is a loving boss in the FF4A endgame and TAY. Recover 4000 HP to everyone in one turn, you say? Yes, please!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Winks posted:

Lightning is the same VA as Liara in Mass Effect, Ali Hillis. She's also Dr. Hanson in Starcraft II.

I'm always amazed that such a good VA can do the awful lines that Hanson throws out in that game. I thought Lightning was one of the few things holding that game together.

On the other hand Vanille is so ear piercingly bad that I don't know if anything can save that script.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Vanille was bad because the voice actress was given explicit instructions to imitate weird Japanese noises and mannerisms that sound painfully unnatural in English.

Seriously, the voice director for that game is a loving idiot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mazed posted:

Vanille was bad because the voice actress was given explicit instructions to imitate weird Japanese noises and mannerisms that sound painfully unnatural in English.

I thought the idea was just suppose to be that people from Pulse are "British", quotes because Vanille's accent isn't even close. That's even more messed up if that's not what they were going for.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Australian. As in, from the Land down under.

But yeah, her intonations and weird anime-esque gestures and things, make her insufferable.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Pulse natives were intended to sound Australian (and in fact, the voice actress herself is Australian, so that part could have sounded natural).

Not being Australian, I couldn't judge one way or the other, but most Australian people I know said that Fang, on the other hand, sounded way too much like an American trying to do an Australian accent.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Pesky Splinter posted:

But yeah, her intonations and weird anime-esque gestures and things, make her insufferable.

I'm ok with the anime gestures and weird stuff the character does (particularly when you're first introduced to her) it's just the loving voice. I can't even put my finger on exactly why it hurts but it sounds so unnatural.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Christ, even the pun's insufferable!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Christ, even the pun's insufferable!

The game does a better job of setting the pun, when you first go to Pulse it is sub-labeled as Terra Incognita, which is what old maps used to call Australia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

I'm ok with the anime gestures and weird stuff the character does (particularly when you're first introduced to her) it's just the loving voice. I can't even put my finger on exactly why it hurts but it sounds so unnatural.

It sounds unnatural because of the stuff you mentioned as being okay. The voice acting director forced the voice actress to mimic another language's vocal tics and intonations, which is like the first thing on the "do not do this poo poo" list when it comes to voice acting.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Mazed posted:

They sound painfully unnatural in Japanese, too...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't know why, but I liked Vanille's voice. I like the weirdness and inconsistency I guess, made it interesting to listen to. Fang's accent was too cut and dry Australian where as Vanille's actually sounded like a unique dialect. Well, more of a mishmash of existing dialects, but I appreciated it anyways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I don't know why, but I liked Vanille's voice. I like the weirdness and inconsistency I guess, made it interesting to listen to. Fang's accent was too cut and dry Australian where as Vanille's actually sounded like a unique dialect. Well, more of a mishmash of existing dialects, but I appreciated it anyways.

I vowed I would watch the cutscenes in the game but then Vanille started talking and I went back on my oath. I'm sorry Sazh, I knew you so little.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I assumed it was Vanille trying to fake a Pulse accent and not doing so well.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mazed posted:

Pulse natives were intended to sound Australian (and in fact, the voice actress herself is Australian, so that part could have sounded natural).

Not being Australian, I couldn't judge one way or the other, but most Australian people I know said that Fang, on the other hand, sounded way too much like an American trying to do an Australian accent.

Fang actually sounds like an Australian; Vanille, even though she is voiced by an Aussie, doesn't sound like one.

God, I love Fang. :allears:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Am I right in thinking Fang and Miranda from Mass Effect 2 are the same VA as well?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXIII should have been Lightning, Sazh, and Fangs amazing adventures.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm about to move on to disc 4 in IX, and I'm creating a separate save so I can continue to fart around with sidequest stuff. That said, is there something I'm not understanding with Chocobo Hot and Cold? I'll get indications that I'm close to something and then not find anything. Also, It seems, at least right now, that the rewards aren't worth the effort. I farted around with it for about an hour last night and found exactly one Chocograph piece.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TL posted:

I'm about to move on to disc 4 in IX, and I'm creating a separate save so I can continue to fart around with sidequest stuff. That said, is there something I'm not understanding with Chocobo Hot and Cold? I'll get indications that I'm close to something and then not find anything. Also, It seems, at least right now, that the rewards aren't worth the effort. I farted around with it for about an hour last night and found exactly one Chocograph piece.

Chocobo Hot and Cold is the way to get Zidane's ultimate weapon, the Ultima Weapon. Reasonably sure it also gives you Dagger and Eiko's best racket. It also gives shitloads of good gear if you do it as you're progressing along with the game. Sometimes you don't get what you're looking for because the hitzone can be hilariously small, just keep searching by increments and you'll get it. It's also one of the best minigames (and has one of the best songs) in the series, so keep at it. I mean, unless you're really not enjoying it, then just bail. IX's not too hard, you can do everything without doing it.

Seriously, this song is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaH80PYEpY

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Am I right in thinking Fang and Miranda from Mass Effect 2 are the same VA as well?

No they're different people.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

Chocobo H&C is kinda a bitch but once you get it down it gets easier. Try walking in straight lines when you get near it, systematically stepping, pecking, stepping, pecking. The hit zone is like 5 pixels or something, but if you keep it up you can start to get it. Chocographs don't show up every time, but there are only 24 and hunting them down on the world map is a lot more fun than spending 30-60 seconds digging up ore.

If you are about to go to Terra, make sure to stop at Dagguerro and get the Rune Sword for Steiner. Not only is it the only way for him to learn Iai Strike, it is only available there until your next plot point, and then disappears. (I missed it myself this play through, and is the only item I need to have taught everyone everything) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Belzac posted:

I liked Vanille's voice five bazillion times more than Lightning's. Why does she always have to sound the same, dear God.