Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I... uh... only 11? I hate you so much.

Think of it this way, there are 11 sheets of ice and I can't use any of them for the next few weeks. :(

toxicsunset posted:

I'm struggling to think of 11 within an hour of Pittsburgh even come wintertime

I'm talking about sheets of ice not rinks, so the rink near my house, the Ice Den, has three sheets of ice. By comparison, I saw on the Wild's twitter feed that there are 200 indoor ice rinks and indoor 270 sheets of ice in Minnesota. There are definitely days where I consider moving back home to Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
5 sheets of ice in Nashville, including Bridgestone arena. Though Phoenix metro has a ton more people than Nashville.

I just got some Easton 85s Elbow pads because I am a lovely skater and keep falling down and smashing my elbow on the ice. Holy poo poo these things are tanks compared to my Bauer X:20s.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 2, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's 5 rinks I can think of within 30 minutes, 4 of which have two sheets.

If I expand to all of the Chicago area.. there's around a couple dozen rinks. Not quite Canadian levels of density, but seems pretty good for the US.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ManicJason posted:

I... uh... only 11? I hate you so much.

There's only 2 where I live, and they're in the same building.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
There is 5 facilities within 15 minutes of me with I think 17 pads between them.

Expand that to 30 minutes and theres probably another 20-25 pads, not sure though.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
2 hours drive to nearest rink.

I might get free health care, but I have to wait for minus C.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I've never lived anywhere with more than two sheets within 30 minutes.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I pay $500 for a 28 game season and garaunteed 2 playoff games. There is about 20 sheets of ice in my city

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SaucyPants posted:

I pay $500 for a 28 game season and garaunteed 2 playoff games. There is about 20 sheets of ice in my city

I think I speak for the thread when I say gently caress youuuuuuuuu :argh: twice!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think I speak for the thread when I say gently caress youuuuuuuuu :argh: twice!

To be fair though, IF I'd been able to play, I would only pay $245 for a season (32 games I think it is), including one hour ice time for training with a team each week. I just wish there was a closer rink.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

Edit: why did this post twice so far apart?

SaucyPants fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 3, 2012

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The league I just joined up with (and whose evaluation game I will be missing due to my CT scan on Thursday) is $430 for 26 regular season games and I think 2 guaranteed playoff games.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toxicsunset posted:

I'm struggling to think of 11 within an hour of Pittsburgh even come wintertime

Harmarville, Bethel Park, Warrendale Bladerunners: 6 sheets
Neville Island: 2 sheets
Ice Castle (Castle Shannon): 2 sheets
Rostraver: 1 sheet

There's 11, and I can think of at least 5 other *rinks* (1-3 sheets each) that are within your hour easily (Center, Airport, Beaver County, Ice Connection, Southpointe)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 3, 2012

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

There's 11, and I can think of at least 5 other *rinks* (1-3 sheets each) that are within your hour easily (Center, Airport, Beaver County, Ice Connection, Southpointe)

The Penguins are getting a new practice facility up in Cranberry (right near Bladerunners Warrendale) that's supposed to have like 4 sheets or so too.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Topoisomerase posted:

I was thinking rinks, not sheets. I've never even heard of any of those in the second part besides southpointe, to be honest, though. Rostraver's a bit far. Also clearly you are unaware that when I say an hour from the city I mean an hour from my house specifically within the city and therefor Warrendale, Beaver County and Neville Island and don't count :colbert:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Topoisomerase posted:

Neville just froze one of the inline rinks for the winter, so they currently have 3. North Park and Schenley Park have them in the winter, not sure if South Park does or not.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

dms666 posted:

Neville just froze one of the inline rinks for the winter, so they currently have 3. North Park and Schenley Park have them in the winter, not sure if South Park does or not.

South Park definitely does there's monday and thursday night pick-up games I go to all the time there. I like it way better than Schenley.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toxicsunset posted:

I was thinking rinks, not sheets. I've never even heard of any of those in the second part besides southpointe, to be honest, though. Rostraver's a bit far. Also clearly you are unaware that when I say an hour from the city I mean an hour from my house specifically within the city and therefor Warrendale, Beaver County and Neville Island and don't count :colbert:

haha mostly I just wanted to see if I could come up with 11 sheets around there off the top of my head. Quite honestly I haven't even played in that area since 1999 so some of it may have changed, but since I played as a kid in PAHL before moving on to Tier levels (:smug:) I had definitely spent enough time at all of those rinks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Getting a new stick today. This kid who works the rink I play at likes to do a lot of gear trades and what not. I gave him a pair of gloves from the 2008 ahl all star game from my brother in law. He loved the gloves so much that he's hooking me up with a brand new warrior dynasty.

Looking forward to the first time I actually get to use it. My team needs to get their asses in gear and get another season going

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How many of your crazed psychopaths are there in the Pittsburgh area?

How have I not run into any of you? :psyduck:

Oh wait, I'm a dirty plebeian ball hockey player. :smith:

I play at the Mt. Nebo dek. We used to play at Neville before they raised the rates of Ball Hockey to insanity.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

How many of your crazed psychopaths are there in the Pittsburgh area?

How have I not run into any of you? :psyduck:

Oh wait, I'm a dirty plebeian ball hockey player. :smith:

I play at the Mt. Nebo dek. We used to play at Neville before they raised the rates of Ball Hockey to insanity.

I think last time I checked the player location list, it was around 7-8 people in the area.

I used to play there, did they start running that place any better since Cranberry Dek Hockey opened?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My league is $4500 for a team consisting of 12 games plus playoffs. Breaks down to $300 a guy with a 15 person roster.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dms666 posted:

I think last time I checked the player location list, it was around 7-8 people in the area.

I used to play there, did they start running that place any better since Cranberry Dek Hockey opened?

Yes and no. The original owner has returned and bought back into it. Shortly before that is when Cranberry opened. If you know the dek, you may know Chris, the manager.

Once Jim Black (the owner) saw the state of the dek, the way it was run, the leagues and more, he started fixing things up. There is still a ton of poo poo that needs to change. Firstly being they need someone who can make an actual schedule and a few refs need to reread the rules. Oh, they also need to use a standard rule book, some of the refs are clueless. The dek needs tiles replaced, the boards need to be fixed and a few other things. Compare it to a year ago though and you can see it's getting better.

Cranberry is a nice dek and I've met the owner, he's a good guy. Their lighting sucks. That's my only complaint, I've only subbed for teams there.

Short answer, no. It took Jim Black coming back to get things running in the correct direction.

7-8 people? Anyone want to start Team Goon? :woop:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think a lot of us Pittsburgh Goons are at very different levels. I play at a D level for instance as a skater, and whatever is below that as a goalie.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Benson Cunningham posted:

I think a lot of us Pittsburgh Goons are at very different levels. I play at a D level for instance as a skater, and whatever is below that as a goalie.

We all play at different rinks/leagues I'm pretty sure. At ice castle there isn't even a D league. I play C major even though I belong in C minor(lowest) because C major plays on weekends and minor plays tuesday nights and weekends work better for me. I might not have a team next session though because we can't find a goalie though :(

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Yes and no. The original owner has returned and bought back into it. Shortly before that is when Cranberry opened. If you know the dek, you may know Chris, the manager.

Once Jim Black (the owner) saw the state of the dek, the way it was run, the leagues and more, he started fixing things up. There is still a ton of poo poo that needs to change. Firstly being they need someone who can make an actual schedule and a few refs need to reread the rules. Oh, they also need to use a standard rule book, some of the refs are clueless. The dek needs tiles replaced, the boards need to be fixed and a few other things. Compare it to a year ago though and you can see it's getting better.

Cranberry is a nice dek and I've met the owner, he's a good guy. Their lighting sucks. That's my only complaint, I've only subbed for teams there.

Short answer, no. It took Jim Black coming back to get things running in the correct direction.

7-8 people? Anyone want to start Team Goon? :woop:

The only guy I remember that was supposedly running it was about 300 lbs, had glasses, and played on one of the teams. He would also ref on occasion.

Yeah nothing was better than showing up multiple times at Dek-Star to 3 teams scheduled to play at the same time. Oh, our team cant play on Saturday because our goalie works a 16 hour shift, here comes the schedule, 9 out of 10 games are on a Saturday.

Cranberry got new lighting about a month ago, but it is still a little hard to see the ball at night on occasion.

As other people said, most of us are at different levels of ice, i'm currently in E, might be able to play D. Seems everyone plays at different rinks too as Toxic said.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2012

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

dms666 posted:

The only guy I remember that was supposedly running it was about 300 lbs, had glasses, and played on one of the teams. He would also ref on occasion.

Yeah nothing was better than showing up multiple times at Dek-Star to 3 teams scheduled to play at the same time. Oh, our team cant play on Saturday because our goalie works a 16 hour shift, here comes the schedule, 9 out of 10 games are on a Saturday.

Cranberry got new lighting about a month ago, but it is still a little hard to see the ball at night on occasion.

As other people said, most of us are at different levels of ice, i'm currently in E. Seems everyone plays at different rinks too as Toxic said.

Playing at different rinks means the letter system is mostly meaningless too. Like I said I play in C-Major but that doesn't mean poo poo because there is no D or E at ice castle.

I feel like meeting with internet people to play hockey would just be awkward as gently caress anyway. Maybe that's just me.

If you've ever played with me you'd probably know it, I have bright pink laces (as posted earlier) and for a while was one of the only people I'd ever seen that wore glasses while playing(now have contacts)

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 3, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

I feel like meeting with internet people to play hockey would just be awkward as gently caress anyway. Maybe that's just me.

We'll report back after Lake Placid. Should be fine though and not entirely a random collection.

My previous experience meeting goons to play hockey has been very positive. All are cool dudes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dms666 posted:

As other people said, most of us are at different levels of ice, i'm currently in E, might be able to play D. Seems everyone plays at different rinks too as Toxic said.

Yup, that's Chris. Buzz cut blonde, fat guy. The refs would also play on his team. Yah, there wasn't any collusion at all. :rolleyes:

Same thing with the schedule. Him and I almost got into a fist fight over their schedule. I complained, he came around the counter and told me to take a swing at him. Yah, that's wonderful customer service. Honestly, my team and three others have and are still looking at jumping ship to Cranberry. Since Jim has come back though, it's getting better. Just very, very slowly.

I played at Cranberry almost two months ago. Guess I'll get to see what it looks like the next time Sue (fellow goalie) asks me to sub for her team up there. Hey, if anyone wants to make friends, quickly, become a goaltender in the West / North hills area. There's maybe ten of us and at any given time three are injured.

As for the different skill levels, Have any of you ever played ball hockey?
All you need is the gear, a semi-functioning Hypothalamus and an overblown sense of self worth, where hockey is concerned. :cheeky:

How about this then. I like practice and I enjoy facing people better then me, as that is how I improve my game. Anyone ever think about just getting a pick up game together somewhere cheap? Just sticks, shoes, balls and beer.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dammit, I missed out on the rink chat. That's what I get for being away from the forums for a few days.

There's five sheets within 30 minutes of me. If I want to drive an hour each way that number goes up to six. Around here the youth hockey league has exploded (250 or so brand new players this year alone, and that's not counting the kids who were already playing). It's kind of rewarding to see this town becoming a hockey town, even in the face of two lockouts in six years, but it's aggravating when it means there's a substantial lack of prime ice time during the fall/winter.

That being said, I pay about $20/game in the fall/winter seasons and $12-$15 in the summer when the kids aren't playing.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

toxicsunset posted:

Playing at different rinks means the letter system is mostly meaningless too. Like I said I play in C-Major but that doesn't mean poo poo because there is no D or E at ice castle.

If you've ever played with me you'd probably know it, I have bright pink laces (as posted earlier) and for a while was one of the only people I'd ever seen that wore glasses while playing(now have contacts)

Are there any leagues starting up at Ice Castle soon? Is there even a good way to get on a team there if you don't know a bunch of other people in one already? I'd just go out there and ask but my dad is kind of taking over my car for the next however long until he gets his fixed so I don't know when I can make it out to ask. Also I don't know who to ask because I typically only go there for morning stick time and the only person I see is the receptionist.

Basically I suck at figuring out how to network my way into a league and the rink's website is no help either.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Look Around You posted:

Are there any leagues starting up at Ice Castle soon? Is there even a good way to get on a team there if you don't know a bunch of other people in one already? I'd just go out there and ask but my dad is kind of taking over my car for the next however long until he gets his fixed so I don't know when I can make it out to ask. Also I don't know who to ask because I typically only go there for morning stick time and the only person I see is the receptionist.

Basically I suck at figuring out how to network my way into a league and the rink's website is no help either.

I would call the rink and inquire about any upcoming leagues. They should be able to point you in the right direction. Sometimes you do just need to know people, so going to pickups at that league and being a fun guy to play with can be helpful in that regard.

Also Craigslist oddly enough often has posts about openings on teams or in leagues.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Might be able to ask around on the Pittsburgh Adult Hockey Facebook group.

Bananananana
Feb 10, 2009
Hey you guys with the Bauer Pro skates has anyone fixed the lacebite issue by putting something on top of the tongue but under the laces? Right now I'm skating for like 4.5 hrs a week and there's a slight pinch at the top lace but nothing really too painful, but I'm worried once my season starts it will turn into something more serious as the tongue wears out. I don't want to replace the tongue though since the skates are new-ish and its not full blown lacebite yet.

e;woops this was supposed to go in the goalie thread, I guess it applies here too though.

Bananananana fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 6, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Snowed in Denver this morning. I don't know why, but this tweet made me feel all :hfive:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleet in the forecast for the weekend here in Chicago.

Maybe this means after the lovely winter we had last year, we're gonna get a long cold one to make up for it. :getin:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Sleet in the forecast for the weekend here in Chicago.

Maybe this means after the lovely winter we had last year, we're gonna get a long cold one to make up for it. :getin:

Just took the garbage out and it smelled like snow. I'm heading up to the U.P. to go camping next weekend and they're predicting snow. I'm itching for my outdoor league to start at warren park again

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

how was everyone's games this week? mine tonight had over 40 penalty minutes and we probably lost 2 players for a few games. Bad reffing and short tempers can really lead to things getting out of hand.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
You'll laugh when you hear this: I drive about 180 miles to my rink. Every week.

Actually it's a system of about 5 rinks in Columbus that we use, most have 2 sheets. A buddy and I carpool and switch off on driving every other week. There is another rink about an hour and a half in the other direction, but it's the only rink and there is no division of skill level, it's just "adult league." The first session we played, where we started the session 0-8 and finished off with about 1 point each for the session it was a brutal drive. Now that we are 3 sessions in and get first line minutes, averaging 1.5-2 points per game each, and keeping our team in the top 3 in points the drive doesn't really phase us anymore. The money sucks though, on top of about $240 in league fees we put another $250-350 in gas each session.

I swear if I ever come into any money this town is getting a loving rink.

Last week our game was uneventful, the game after ours though featured a ringer who has potted 8 points in 2 games pissing off a hotheaded "ringer" goalie. The goalie got pissed off at the end and charged a forward who was waiting in front of the net, facing the play across the ice. The forward was blindsided, and turned out to be a girl who was still learning the ropes. Of course this lead to a fight and over 20 PIMs for the goalie and the two guys who jumped in. Someone was recording the game so the goalie had enough against him to get ejected from the league.

Fuckin E league hockey man.

RazorDX fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I love you guys like you don't even know.

We had a slow day at work Friday and I printed up a mess of these:

They are bumper stickers on vehicle-rated vinyl.

After sharing a bunch around with my team Friday night, I have 18 left. If you want one, post in the thread that you want one and I'll PM you for your address. If you don't have PMs, I dunno, put your email in spoiler tags or something. First eighteen to reply get one.

As for my game this week, we won. I have really turned on my D game the past two weeks; not sure how it happened but I'm sure as hell not complaining. Makes me happy.