Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update:

I'm into my second month of billing since switching to an unlocked international SG3 (GT-i9300) and so far ATT still shows me as having an 'unknown' phone, and have not raised my rates or changed my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Loving the SG3, hands down the neatest phone amongst my work mates, and it sounds like this version will be getting Jelly Bean any day now. Thanks again you knowledgeable guys who helped me make this choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stupid puma posted:

Current Plan: AT&T, unlimited data, 400 min/mo, 200 texts/mo

Features Wanted: I'm getting a new shared plan with my wife. We both want iPhone 5s. I need a lot of data (I use about 3 gigs per month now) but she could get by with 1 gig probably. So maybe 4 gigs total. Minutes and texts aren't very important to us (maybe something like 600 min/month and 500 total texts would be sufficient). I'd like to take advantage of our iPhones so I'd like data connections that work well, but I guess 4g isn't very important to us. So, what's the best carrier and plan based on that criteria?

Budget: Whatever is cheapest monthly while still having at least decent 3g data speed.

If you are happy with ATT, probably just keep your same plan there. ATT will let you keep "unlimited," just bear in mind you actually get capped at 3GBs. Still, I would take a cap over Overages any day.

Compare your current plan to the new plan. Given your calling habits, it is probably cheaper to stay with what you have.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Country/Provider: AT&T

Current contract status: Unlimited data, Unlimited Texts, 450 min/mo.

Budget (phone/plan): $100/mo after my company's 9% discount.

Features I know I want: I specifically have questions about tethering

I am currently using a 3-year old iPhone 3GS and am looking to upgrade. I am debating between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3. After spending an hour with each at the store I'm really torn, I loved the S3 and with my giant hands it's more comfortable than the iPhone5, and I spend a lot of my commute looking at charts so the larger screen is fantastic.

My specific questions are about tethering:

1. From the plan's point of view, does tethering work the same, i.e. I'm pretty much going to be forced into the same metered data plan no matter which phone I choose?

2. Is there an easy way around the S3's tethering lock that would allow me to use it on my current plan?

3. My tethering needs are basically only 3-5 times a month on weekends to access my company's VPN from my laptop when I'm on the road. Would buying a separate pay-as-you-go mobile hotspot be a better idea?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
My mom is a Boeing retiree, and she's decided she wants to get a smartphone. She's offered to set up a Boeing-discounted family plan for herself, me, and my two brothers (all adults, all off contract right now). Sprint's looking like a good deal; we're in the Seattle area and all of us live in areas specified as "on 3G network" for their coverage map. It looks like they offer the best deal: with the discount (same as employees) it's $142.47/month for four lines on the Everything Data Share 1500 (which will more than take care of the voice time we'd all use) plus $40 for the smartphone charges. Activation fees are waived. AT&T will give us 15% off standard service (base fees only, of course) - that'd give us about the same price as Sprint for 300MB/month per line rather than unlimited data. Verizon is just laughably bad from what I can see. T-mo is right out because my brother lives in a total dead zone for their coverage, and because of the phone selection.

We were all looking at iPhone 4Ses. It seems like Apple's long-term support is most likely to keep us going through most of the life of the contract, even if we buy into an older phone from the start; I've been bit by the whole "there's a new Android version/bugfix available, but the manufacturer and carrier aren't going to approve it for your device, better hope there's some teenage basement hacker who's cobbled together something" issue and would rather not repeat it. I know that a firm prognosis is impossible, but can I expect a 4S to remain a reasonable basic phone/email/web/navigation device for the next couple of years?

How bad can I expect Sprint's "3G" service to be? I understand that the speeds aren't great compared to the GSM carriers, but they're rolling out network upgrades. Are those upgrades going to boost 3G speeds? I've seen a lot of stories pop up on Google from the weeks following the launch showing really awful numbers (sub-dialup speeds, 500ms-1sec latencies), but I don't know whether those issues have been mostly resolved at this point. Are they still unusably slow, or just somewhat slower than the competition? Anyone know how their service is in the Seattle-Tacoma area?

I'm guessing the "certified pre-owned" phones are poo poo. Right?

Finally, will there be any issues with the "family plan" phones being spread out over 50 miles or so in the same state?

Country/Provider:
US/various providers, don't plan on any international travel.

Current contract status:
All off contract.

Budget (phone/plan):
Around $50/month/person ($200ish total bill for 4 lines), less is always better.
$100/phone or so would be ideal.

Features I know I want:
- Probably iPhone 4Ses
- A few hundred minutes per month
- A generous total data allowance

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

with the discount (same as employees) it's $142.47/month for four lines on the Everything Data Share 1500
EPRP is marginally cheaper ($139.97/mo) for 1600 shared voice minutes. Although if your mother isn't at risk of losing the discount, I'd probably pay the extra $5/mo to be a first-class Sprint citizen where you'll be eligible for upgrade deals on AmazonWireless and such. EPRP can only purchase devices from Sprint.

Space Gopher posted:

How bad can I expect Sprint's "3G" service to be?
You can, and should, expect it to be really loving awful.

Seriously, check the Sprint thread, every few pages for the past month has been reports posted by folks of exactly how bad their speeds are. Now, it's not a problem in every market, but it's a problem in enough markets that it makes folks miserable.

It's also worth quantifying: Sprint's 3G service has a max theoretical speed of 1.5-3.0 MB/s. 4G service (including faux-G HSPA+) routinely gets 10x that. Sprint's typical 3G service is 0.1x theoretical (150-300 kB/s), and that's on a good day.

Space Gopher posted:

Are those upgrades going to boost 3G speeds?
Sprint is well behind schedule on their network improvements with no signs of catching up. Depending on locale, you'll be lucky to see network improvements by the end of your two year contract.

Backhaul improvements will help with the iPhone 4S as they will on all devices. However, at best you're still stuck with the 3G theoretical limit. And the two main benefits of Sprint's network upgrade, SMR-band CDMA service (better building penetration) and LTE, won't be usable by the 4S.

Space Gopher posted:

Are they still unusably slow, or just somewhat slower than the competition?
Let's put it this way: In most markets Sprint's service is slow enough that the benefit of having "unlimited data" is a non-benefit, since the service isn't good enough to support audio/video streaming that actually makes unlimited data useful.

Usually the network is good enough to support email and light web browsing. But since that doesn't consume much data, you'll be able to do those things better on either AT&T or Verizon and well within your data caps.

Space Gopher posted:

Finally, will there be any issues with the "family plan" phones being spread out over 50 miles or so in the same state?
Should be fine.

Long story short, now isn't really a good time to join Sprint. Wait until they've actually finished network upgrades in your neck of the woods. Joining on the promise that they'll fix their service is a bad idea.

That said, if you were to join Sprint, I'd go with the iPhone 5 since it'll benefit the most from Sprint's (eventual) network improvements. If you're looking to go with 4Ses to save money, you're really best doing it on AT&T where the 4S already supports their reasonably-well-deployed HSPA+ network.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chuu posted:

Country/Provider: AT&T

Current contract status: Unlimited data, Unlimited Texts, 450 min/mo.

Budget (phone/plan): $100/mo after my company's 9% discount.

Features I know I want: I specifically have questions about tethering

I am currently using a 3-year old iPhone 3GS and am looking to upgrade. I am debating between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3. After spending an hour with each at the store I'm really torn, I loved the S3 and with my giant hands it's more comfortable than the iPhone5, and I spend a lot of my commute looking at charts so the larger screen is fantastic.

My specific questions are about tethering:

1. From the plan's point of view, does tethering work the same, i.e. I'm pretty much going to be forced into the same metered data plan no matter which phone I choose?

2. Is there an easy way around the S3's tethering lock that would allow me to use it on my current plan?

3. My tethering needs are basically only 3-5 times a month on weekends to access my company's VPN from my laptop when I'm on the road. Would buying a separate pay-as-you-go mobile hotspot be a better idea?

I think the galaxy s3 works fine with things like pdanet and foxfi so you can get both wired and wireless tethering without getting an additional thing on your plan. You are still constricted to the data limit your plan has though, regardless of which phone you get.

Im pretty sure At&t allows you to grandfather your unlimited internet though so you really shouldn't have a problem with that unless you want a cheaper monthly bill.

I dont know how much data tunneling into your companies vpn pushes but I doubt that it will be that much. Just check your previous statements to see how much its been and whether or not it will be a good idea to switch over.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Recommend me plz

Country/Provider: Iceland (all providers the same I think - if not, I'm not bound by anything and can switch easily anyway)

Current contract status: Just some non-commitment prepaid deal

Budget (phone/plan): 1000 $ for the phone

Features I know I want:

- Quick reaction - instant control (when a button is pressed stuff must happen immediately), if a few select complicated commands take a few seconds that's ok, but selecting from menues has to to happen instantly. The failure of modern phones in this department is why I'm still using my 12 year old Nokia 3310.

- Quick camera, doesn't really have to take better pictures than 2 MP, just needs to be quick and not blurry.

- Memory that can hold more than at least 100 pics is also essential. USB 3.0 input would be nice (I have no idea if that even exists for phones but I like to be able to stick my sticks everywhere)

- Very good phone-connectivity and doesn't get hot quickly in long duration calls

- Email & 3G - access to google maps

- Well designed memo-system, lists, reminders, calendar and stuff

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I'm looking for a phone/plan for my dad with super minimal features/minutes/whatever. Right now he's on our family plan as a $10/mo add-on, but we're looking to change the other three phones to a shared 4gb plan, which he would have no need for (and would bump the cost of his line up to $30/mo). He uses about 10-15 minutes a month, never texts or uses data, so I'm looking for either a very cheap plan, or something along the lines of pay as you go.

Country/Provider: USA - San Francisco Bay Area

Current contract status: His line is out of contract.

Budget (phone/plan): Cheaper the better. Cost of the phone isn't a huge deal, overall this should save us some money, so we can just roll that into the cost of any phone. He has an AT&T dumbphone right now.

Features I know I want: Cheapest possible, decent-ish coverage in the SF Bay Area.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I live in SF, Verizon's definitely tops in the Bay. AT&T has gotten better, I don't think anybody is horrible though. The beauty of prepaid is you can just try poo poo and cancel it if it sucks.

I like T-Mobile Prepaid or Ting (a Sprint MVNO) for your dad.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

We're on AT&T currently, mid peninsula, so no SF fuckery for the most part and we've all been fine with it (we have a fairly substantial discount with them as well).

I went in an talked to one of the AT&T guys at a store and he seemed to indicate that even if I got something like the $.10/minute plan we'd have to load it with money every 90 days or so to ensure his number wouldn't get reset. That doesn't sound too bad if we can load it with $25/90 days, but are there any other catches that typically apply to pay as you go plans?

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Provider T-Mo

Any recommendations for a sturdy device ? I currently have a Motorola Defy and it's getting long in the tooth. All the sturdy phones are big and not much more potent.
Where can I upgrade ??

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Oromo posted:

Recommend me plz

Country/Provider: Iceland (all providers the same I think - if not, I'm not bound by anything and can switch easily anyway)

Current contract status: Just some non-commitment prepaid deal

Budget (phone/plan): 1000 $ for the phone

Features I know I want:

- Quick reaction - instant control (when a button is pressed stuff must happen immediately), if a few select complicated commands take a few seconds that's ok, but selecting from menues has to to happen instantly. The failure of modern phones in this department is why I'm still using my 12 year old Nokia 3310.

- Quick camera, doesn't really have to take better pictures than 2 MP, just needs to be quick and not blurry.

- Memory that can hold more than at least 100 pics is also essential. USB 3.0 input would be nice (I have no idea if that even exists for phones but I like to be able to stick my sticks everywhere)

- Very good phone-connectivity and doesn't get hot quickly in long duration calls

- Email & 3G - access to google maps

- Well designed memo-system, lists, reminders, calendar and stuff

It sounds like you want a Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus or an iPhone.

The iPhone is probably the smoothest and most responsive phone on the market and the Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) is close behind. On a side note, don't get a phone with a version of Android less than 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) if you want responsiveness, previous versions were far worse and many phones with 2.3 and below can't/won't be upgraded to 4.0+.

The iPhone has probably the best phone camera on the market right now while the Nexus's is only good (but still far in excess of your camera quality requirements). The GNex has 16 GB of memory built-in and the iPhone comes with 8, 16, 32, or 64 GB depending on the model (needless to say both phones will hold more than 100 photos). Unfortunately, neither phone supports expandable memory through SD or USB. Both phones will get warm if you use a processor-intensive app for extended periods but just making a phone call should not cause them to get excessively warm.

Because both phones are smartphones so you can't expect to go a week between charges like you can with your current Nokia candybar. Both will have to be charged at least once a day and the Galaxy Nexus, due to its smaller battery, may need to be changed in the middle of the day if you are a heavy user (this can be alleviated by purchasing an extended battery).

Both phones do smartphone things (email, maps, calendar, etc.) very well and if the default apps don't meet your needs both have thousands of apps, many free, you can download from their respective stores. One big difference is that right now the iPhone does not have native Google Maps because iOS 6 replaced the previous built-in Google Maps app with an Apple Maps app (which reportedly is terrible internationally) and Google won't have an iOS Google Maps app available for a few months at least.

My US GSM Galaxy Nexus does not have Icelandic language support for the user interface, though you can download a replacement keyboard and spell-check dictionary for Icelandic text input. It looks like the situation is the same on the iPhone, though an Icelandic keyboard is included by default.

I don't know about local availablity of either model but according to my Wikipedia research on cellular providers in Iceland the GSM models of both phones should work on all cellular networks in Iceland for both 2G GSM and 3G/"4G" HSPA as long as you have a SIM card and the phone is carrier unlocked. The Galaxy Nexus can be purchased in the US unlocked directly from Google for US$350, though I've read that it's harder/more expensive to get internationally. The iPhone will be more expensive to get, especially unlocked and especially if you want to get one new rather than used. You should still be able to get one within your $1000 phone budget though (assuming you're talking US dollars).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 4, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flacoman954 posted:

Provider T-Mo

Any recommendations for a sturdy device ? I currently have a Motorola Defy and it's getting long in the tooth. All the sturdy phones are big and not much more potent.
Where can I upgrade ??

Any reason you can't just get a Galaxy 3 and put an Otterbox Defender on it to protect it? Most phones made to be rugged will suck software and hardware wise.

Check the Tmobile thread, but another good question is whether it is worth getting a discounted phone or whether you can buy a phone outright and save monthly. If you buy a phone outright the Galaxy Nexus is still a good buy at $350 unlocked.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
G3's plenty quick but too damned big.. Gonna have to suck it up and get a Razr series

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.
Well I just got off the phone with TMOBILE retention. I had nine months still left on my contract. I told them I was going to switch to a regional carrier who was buying out contracts. Here is what she gave me.

16g Galaxy S3 - White 179 bucks - 50MIR = 129
HTC One S - Blue 100 bucks - 100MIR =0
10 mo EXTRA off my account = 130 two lines, unlimited everything, no throttle. Hotspot active.

Total after rebates. 110 CHEAPER over 24 months than what i was paying.

Thanks TMO

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Country/Provider: Canada/Koodo

Current contract status: No contract. I'd have to pay ~ 50$ to change provider.

Budget (phone/plan): I currently have a very cheap plan and I'd like to keep it. I pay ~30$ a month for 50 minutes/unlimited text and caller ID. I also have a real phone so this is enough for me. I mostly use my phone to get calls for my job (which last less than 30 secs) and to text friends. I absolutely need all those functions and am not interested in any other ones.

Budget is : as little as I can get away with. 150$ is around what I plan on spending.

Features I know I want: I'd be getting my first smartphone. I'd use it for occasional web browsing at work (wi-fi) I don't mind it being kind of slow. Play simple games like angry birds and such on the occasional bus ride. Film stuff during judo practice and take pictures when I don't have my real camera with me. Quality of the phone function would be important. I'm not really happy with how lovely my current phone sounds/the reception I get (my girlfriend has the same provider and she gets better signal/sound so it's phone based). Strangely the quality of the phone function of smartphones never seem to be addressed in any review so if anyone has info on that it would be awesome.

I am not going to get a data plan.

I could get the HTC one V for 125$. Galaxy Ace for 80$. LG optimus Black for 180$. Samsung Galaxy S II X for 230$. All with no string attached (well... Some money goes on the "balance" and a % of my monthly fees are put toward bringing that balance to 0. If I change provider before it's completely paid I have to pay what's remaining. But that's a negligible amount and I don't plan on changing provider anytime soon since I'm really happy with the service/price I get. Also no contract is something that is really attractive to me).

After some research I'm leaning toward the HTC one V. It seems like it would suit my needs but I'm thinking that there's no harm in asking you guys. Keep in mind that I'm not looking for the ultimate smartphone experienceTM at all. I'm 27 and only got a cellphone recently and only because I'm obligated to have one because of my job as a substitute teacher.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 7, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingColliwog posted:

I could get the HTC one V for 125$. Galaxy Ace for 80$. LG optimus Black for 180$. Samsung Galaxy S II X for 230$.
The One V is a better option than the Ace and Optimus Black. The hardware on the SGS2X is roughly "twice as good" as the One V but also nearly twice the cost.

The only thing that gives me pause with the One V is that, while it's still a 2012 device, the hardware is very much from 2010 and thus, is already pushing the limits in terms of what Android is capable of running on. So in short, while it might run the current (actually previous) version of Android OK, it's not clear if it will even get an update to the current version. That's kind of an unfortunate position to be in with a phone that's supposed to last two years.

Honestly, I'd look up prices for used Galaxy Nexuses, even Nexus Ses (look for the GT-I9020A model, which is the more common of the two in Canada, but not the only one). If, say, you can get the Nexus S used for cheaper than what you'd pay for the One V, you could go with that until it runs out on you in a year or so. Alternatively, if you can find a good deal on a used Galaxy Nexus, it'll easily outlast every device on your list.

Just to be clear, it's not a matter of "fast vs slow", it's a matter of "gets Android updates or not". And generally you really do want to get the updates, even if you're just a casual user. Well OK, if you have no data plan it doesn't matter so much, but at least consider that perspective.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KingColliwog posted:

I am not going to get a data plan.

I could get the HTC one V for 125$. Galaxy Ace for 80$. LG optimus Black for 180$. Samsung Galaxy S II X for 230$. All with no string attached (well... Some money goes on the "balance" and a % of my monthly fees are put toward bringing that balance to 0. If I change provider before it's completely paid I have to pay what's remaining. But that's a negligible amount and I don't plan on changing provider anytime soon since I'm really happy with the service/price I get. Also no contract is something that is really attractive to me).

If you just want a wi-fi pocket web browser and casual-games box, have you thought about an iPod Touch or Galaxy Player?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

Country/Provider: Canada/Koodo

Full disclosure: I work for Samsung.

Avoid the Optimus Black. I've heard a lot of terrible things about it from Koodo managers.

The S II X and One V both come with ICS which are significant improvements over 2.3 devices like the Black and the Ace. I'd read reviews and try all the units at a Telus store if you can, most of them have live units whereas Koodo kiosks don't. They're the same devices on both carriers.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ExcessBLarg! posted:

:words:

Just to be clear, it's not a matter of "fast vs slow", it's a matter of "gets Android updates or not". And generally you really do want to get the updates, even if you're just a casual user. Well OK, if you have no data plan it doesn't matter so much, but at least consider that perspective.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find anything used here in Quebec before buying. I'm obviously not opposed to the idea of getting a better phone for a similar price and I'm not particularly scared of buying used.

I really don't plan on getting a data plan in the near future. As in it's 99% sure I won't get one in the next two years. Considering this, does it matter if I'm stuck with ICS? Keep in mind that I'm pretty much the definition of light and casual user. What problem will it really cause?

Space Gopher posted:

If you just want a wi-fi pocket web browser and casual-games box, have you thought about an iPod Touch or Galaxy Player?

I thought about it but I don't think it would cost much less than a cheap entry level smartphone + I'd have to carry two device since I do need a phone and I need a new phone anyway. Oh and having a camera that isn't completely horrible on me at all time is attractive since I'm a part time photographer. If I didn't need a new phone I'd just stay with my current setup which is dumbphone and cheap MP3 player, but if I'm gonna spend 50$ on another dumbphone, I think I'd rather pay 130 and get something that would cover all of my current needs + offer me a little bit of extra.

Godinster posted:

Full disclosure: I work for Samsung.

Avoid the Optimus Black. I've heard a lot of terrible things about it from Koodo managers.

The S II X and One V both come with ICS which are significant improvements over 2.3 devices like the Black and the Ace. I'd read reviews and try all the units at a Telus store if you can, most of them have live units whereas Koodo kiosks don't. They're the same devices on both carriers.

Thx that's great and kind of confirms what I read. I'll hit the Telus store to try out the HTC one V and galaxy S II X. And see if there's anything I hate/love about one of them

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 8, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

Thx that's great and kind of confirms what I read. I'll hit the Telus store to try out the HTC one V and galaxy S II X. And see if there's anything I hate/love about one of them

I wouldn't be afraid to actually ask the Koodo sales reps yourself, too. They make the same commissions regardless of which device you pick.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingColliwog posted:

Considering this, does it matter if I'm stuck with ICS?
There's four main reasons for wanting to get device updates:
  1. App compatibility (some new apps depend on newer versions of Andorid)
  2. Feature/UI improvements
  3. Security fixes
  4. Bug fixes
App compatibility and UI improvements aren't essential, that's a preference thing. If you're perfectly happy with the device "as is" then there's not much of a concern there. Plus most new apps that require new versions of Android are only useful with a data plan anyways. Similarly, security fixes are important, but for the most part they won't matter nearly as much without a data plan.

Which really leaves general bug fixes. In which case, test out the device and read about it online, making sure it works to your satisfaction. If it does, it shouldn't "suddenly" break on you, at least not software-wise. The issue is that a lot of times a new phone will come up and one or more features will be obviously buggy, and the manufacturer promises it will be fixed in an update, which then takes forever (or never) to come out.

In short, without having a data plan you might honestly really not care about the update problem. But anyone who does have a data plan on their device should be a bit more concerned about it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Godinster posted:

I wouldn't be afraid to actually ask the Koodo sales reps yourself, too. They make the same commissions regardless of which device you pick.

Good to know, I'm generally weary of sales reps in general, but if they make the same commission no matter what, there's less reason to gently caress me over.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's four main reasons for wanting to get device updates:
  1. App compatibility (some new apps depend on newer versions of Andorid)
  2. Feature/UI improvements
  3. Security fixes
  4. Bug fixes
App compatibility and UI improvements aren't essential, that's a preference thing. If you're perfectly happy with the device "as is" then there's not much of a concern there. Plus most new apps that require new versions of Android are only useful with a data plan anyways. Similarly, security fixes are important, but for the most part they won't matter nearly as much without a data plan.

Which really leaves general bug fixes. In which case, test out the device and read about it online, making sure it works to your satisfaction. If it does, it shouldn't "suddenly" break on you, at least not software-wise. The issue is that a lot of times a new phone will come up and one or more features will be obviously buggy, and the manufacturer promises it will be fixed in an update, which then takes forever (or never) to come out.

In short, without having a data plan you might honestly really not care about the update problem. But anyone who does have a data plan on their device should be a bit more concerned about it.

That's great info thanks a lot, I'll be considering this in my purchase for sure.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'm due for an upgrade on Verizon this month. I can get a GS3 for $200 or a GNex for $50. Just wondering if the GS3 is $150 better than the Nexus. I am leaning towards the GS3 just for the expandable memory, and I am still concerned about the Nexus signal issues. Doubly so since I have a Thunderbolt :negative: now, and it's absolutely terrible on the signal front.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Shortbus posted:

Just wondering if the GS3 is $150 better than the Nexus.
On Verizon? Yes, yes it is.

However, depending when your actual upgrade date is, there may be an announcement of the next Nexus device this month.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Captain Shortbus posted:

I'm due for an upgrade on Verizon this month. I can get a GS3 for $200 or a GNex for $50. Just wondering if the GS3 is $150 better than the Nexus. I am leaning towards the GS3 just for the expandable memory, and I am still concerned about the Nexus signal issues. Doubly so since I have a Thunderbolt :negative: now, and it's absolutely terrible on the signal front.

Don't get the Verizon GNex.

I'd say go ahead and get the S3. Not having stock android and not getting updates immediately is a bummer, but it's better than waiting around for the new Nexus to come out without even knowing if it'll fix the original GNex's issues. The S3 is still going to get Jellybean any time now (ANY TIME NOW, SAMSUNG :mad:). I'm impatient, though. If you don't mind waiting, it's probably best to see what happens with the new Nexus in November, if there will even be one.

For what it's worth, I got a Verizon S3 a few weeks ago and I'm really happy with it.

Spaz Medicine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, I gotta put a good word in for anybody looking to buy an HTC, they're built real darn solid. I just knocked a dumbbell onto my Evo 3D and the darn thing bounced off it with a crack or a scratch.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Spaz Medicine posted:

Don't get the Verizon GNex.

I'd say go ahead and get the S3. Not having stock android and not getting updates immediately is a bummer, but it's better than waiting around for the new Nexus to come out without even knowing if it'll fix the original GNex's issues. The S3 is still going to get Jellybean any time now (ANY TIME NOW, SAMSUNG :mad:). I'm impatient, though. If you don't mind waiting, it's probably best to see what happens with the new Nexus in November, if there will even be one.

For what it's worth, I got a Verizon S3 a few weeks ago and I'm really happy with it.

I get what you're saying on the impatience thing. I was supposed to get ICS in August on this thing,and we've all seen how that went. I ordered a GS3 yesterday.
ETA: If it comes down to it, I've rooted every Android I've had, so I will probably be running non-stock eventually anyway.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 10, 2012

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I have an unlocked iPhone 3GS and just got back to the states. I'm looking for a GSM-based plan with data. My expected monthly consumption will probably be:
• 200 minutes talking
• 100 texts
• 1 GB data

T-Mobile's "Bring Your Own Phone" plan of 500 minutes and 2 GB at 3G (throttled after that) for $45/month seems like the best deal from a reputable company. I wish Virgin Mobile offered a GSM version of their service but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Any services I've overlooked? Are the shady "we'll send you a SIM card, no contracts" services any good?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
My line on a Tmobile family plan is just about due for renewal, and I'm currently torn between 3 options.

1. Buy the Play Store Galaxy Nexus

2. Buy a Galaxy S III and renew my contract for another 2 years.

3. Wait and see what's happening with the new Nexus phone[s].

I am seriously leaning towards option 1, the price is just about the upper limits of my budget, which most likely means that unless Tmo offers a subsidy for any Nexus, I'm most likely not going with option 3. Plus I don't think the LG one is worth it for me and the other rumored designs are also not really my thing.

A friend has a GSIII and another has a GNexus, I've played with both and have had Android since nearly the beginning, I am just seriously being indecisive and can't decide what to do.
My current phone is making GBS threads the bed on a near daily basis and the battery life sucks, but it's not worth it to replace the battery at this point, so the sooner I get a new phone the better.

Any advice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilysespieces posted:

My line on a Tmobile family plan is just about due for renewal, and I'm currently torn between 3 options.

1. Buy the Play Store Galaxy Nexus

2. Buy a Galaxy S III and renew my contract for another 2 years.

3. Wait and see what's happening with the new Nexus phone[s].

I am seriously leaning towards option 1, the price is just about the upper limits of my budget, which most likely means that unless Tmo offers a subsidy for any Nexus, I'm most likely not going with option 3. Plus I don't think the LG one is worth it for me and the other rumored designs are also not really my thing.

A friend has a GSIII and another has a GNexus, I've played with both and have had Android since nearly the beginning, I am just seriously being indecisive and can't decide what to do.
My current phone is making GBS threads the bed on a near daily basis and the battery life sucks, but it's not worth it to replace the battery at this point, so the sooner I get a new phone the better.

Any advice?

The main thing the S3 has over the Nexus is better battery life, and on the GSM versions from what I hear the Nexus gets pretty close anyway. Overall, I'd say get the Nexus and stay off contract.

Maxwells Demon posted:

I have an unlocked iPhone 3GS and just got back to the states. I'm looking for a GSM-based plan with data. My expected monthly consumption will probably be:
• 200 minutes talking
• 100 texts
• 1 GB data

T-Mobile's "Bring Your Own Phone" plan of 500 minutes and 2 GB at 3G (throttled after that) for $45/month seems like the best deal from a reputable company. I wish Virgin Mobile offered a GSM version of their service but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Any services I've overlooked? Are the shady "we'll send you a SIM card, no contracts" services any good?

Keep in mind you could get TMobile's $30 prepaid plan of 100 mins, unlimited text, 5GB of data for $30. Minutes after the first 100 are $0.10 a minute, so if you use 200 minutes you would pay $40 a month. Not sure how much the TMobile plan you mentioned is, so compare the two and pick the best.

Remember that your 3GS is Edge/2G only on most of TMobile's network. They are working on getting compatible 3G up in areas, but the only area i have heard of beng close to complete is Las Vegas.

So if that is a dealer breaker, Straight Talk is $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data, goes off of AT&T.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 11, 2012

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
T-mobile is further along than that on their iPhone 3G rollout. http://www.airportal.de/ tracks sightings of it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah for T-Mobile I'd just say gently caress it and buy the $350 GNex. It's a bit more complicated on AT&T and much more complicated (to the point that it's not the best option) on Verizon.

Then again, can you wait 2-3 weeks? We're supposed to know the details of the next Nexus by the end of October.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
I need a phone AND a plan!

I'm in the US and currently on my mom's AT&T plan. I'm willing to pay $200 for a new phone and around $60 a month.

I want to start paying my own phone bills to help my mom out (new phones are always fun too, I've yet to own a smartphone!), so I am on the market for a new phone and plan.

Basic musts are a smartphone that has unlimited data and texting. 4G would be great, but if the budget doesn't allow it 3G works too. I am just a college student who just needs a phone to drunk text my friends and browse Something Awful in class, so I don't need anything too fancy.

Let me know if anymore info is needed! Thanks!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I'm looking to replace my dying HTC Evo 4G, and I'm not sure what to buy. I'm due for a two-year upgrade discount through Sprint, and would like to spend $100 tops on a phone.

Right now, the two I'm torn between are the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy Nexus. All I need this phone to do is the basic smartphone tasks: calls, texting, GPS, streaming music and the occasional Instagram pic of my food. I don't take pictures very often, so the iPhone's superior camera is a plus but not too big of a selling point. Being able to stream music during an 8 hour shift at work without having to recharge would be nice, but I'm definitely getting an extended battery for either phone so that's not an issue.

The main reason I'm considering the Nexus is the on-screen keyboard. I love the keyboard on my phone compared to the one on my iPad (which I'm guessing is very similar to the iPhone's) and I'm used to typing on a 4.3" screen, so downsizing to a 3.5" sounds like a lot of typos waiting to happen. Can anyone tell me how typing on an iPhone 4/4S compares to one of the larger Android phones?

Unless there's some big difference that I'm missing, or a better option that I haven't considered, I'm leaning towards staying with Android and buying the Galaxy Nexus. I'm just looking for a second opinion so I can stop second-guessing myself here.

e: The second guessing continues. After reading a million negative reviews of the Nexus' camera quality, the Galaxy S3 with CyanogenMod is looking like an attractive option. But I'm not sure if the camera's worth paying twice as much.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 13, 2012

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Anyone have anything to say about the AT&T $25 gophone plans? I only use my phone to text and I have a phobia about talking on the phone so 250 minutes will be adequate. Just curious if there is a cheaper better plan out there?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
So my father is in a bit of an interesting position. His work is making him change carriers and change phones to an iPhone 5. They have a corporate account, and they have corporate phones, and an internal app that is quickly becoming necessary for his work that is only for iOS.

The problem he has is his phone number. For about 15 years (since he got his first cell phone), he has had the same number for business and personal use. All of his clients call him on that number, so he needs to be able to get that phone number on the iPhone. The hitch here is that in order for him to get this number on his upcoming iPhone, his work is telling him he has to hand over this phone number to their carrier, at which point, said phone number becomes property of the company.

He's really not a fan of this situation.

However, I had a thought - I don't know if there's a service or something that does this, but it seems to me that he should be able to get some sort of account with a company (does Google talk do this?) that he can place his phone number with that would just forward any and all calls to the new phone number with the iPhone.

At the same time, he's willing (though reluctant, naturally) to keep his phone line active, drop the service level down to a dumbphone level, and forward it as well.

Is there a solution for this? That he could maintain ownership of his number but have it forwarded to his work phone?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Psimitry posted:

So my father is in a bit of an interesting position. His work is making him change carriers and change phones to an iPhone 5. They have a corporate account, and they have corporate phones, and an internal app that is quickly becoming necessary for his work that is only for iOS.

The problem he has is his phone number. For about 15 years (since he got his first cell phone), he has had the same number for business and personal use. All of his clients call him on that number, so he needs to be able to get that phone number on the iPhone. The hitch here is that in order for him to get this number on his upcoming iPhone, his work is telling him he has to hand over this phone number to their carrier, at which point, said phone number becomes property of the company.

However, I had a thought - I don't know if there's a service or something that does this, but it seems to me that he should be able to get some sort of account with a company (does Google talk do this?) that he can place his phone number with that would just forward any and all calls to the new phone number with the iPhone.

At the same time, he's willing (though reluctant, naturally) to keep his phone line active, drop the service level down to a dumbphone level, and forward it as well.

Is there a solution for this? That he could maintain ownership of his number but have it forwarded to his work phone?
You can port a number to google voice and it forwards and such.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psimitry posted:

Google Voice would work fine. I see this situation enough, honestly, I it's a company he trusts do bear in mind that if he ever switches or leaves the company can give him permission to switch his number back to a personal line.

So it depends on the company and honesty how comfortable he would be using google voice. Keep in mind google voice for iPhone only works perfectly on sprint, and for other carriers works mostly fine, but I wouldn't say perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just to say thanks to everyone that helped me. I ended up buying the HTC one V and it seems to fit all of my needs. It's a great phone for a casual user like me. It's actually faster than I would have thought.

Am I wrong in thinking that the otterbox defender is the usually recommended case for people who might end up dropping their phone? The fact that the glass is directly exposed scares me a little since I've seen a lot of phones with broken glass fronts.