Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Would a djembe or bongos be better for jamming with an acoustic guitar?

I've jammed with folks on both, and at least in my case the most important factor was which instrument the drummer was more familiar and proficient on. The size of the drum also matters, of course. If you're looking to buy something, I bought a cajon from goon-operated Index Drums just for acoustic jams and I love it.

(But just between the two options, personally, I'd pick a djembe over bongos.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I want to light every djembe in the entire world on fire, and shove them up the rear end of every dumb white hippy with dreadlocks. Djembes are not meant to be accompaniment instruments, they are typically lead instruments in traditional African percussion. They are LOUD AS gently caress and I've only ever met like 3 people who could actually play one.

Honestly I would go with congas, but you have to actually learn to play them.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Djembe, I'm pretty sure you can plop the base on a surface and alternate resting it flat or at an angle to get a snap or kick sound, I think you can rub the top to get a shaker type sound, they are loud and they seem a bit more "legit".

I see a guy with a djembe strapped over his shoulder walking down the street, I think he's headed to a drum circle.

I see a guy with a set of bongos I dunno if you are doing spoken word beatnik poetry or comedian Todd Barry

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

HollisBrown posted:

I want to light every djembe in the entire world on fire, and shove them up the rear end of every dumb white hippy with dreadlocks. Djembes are not meant to be accompaniment instruments, they are typically lead instruments in traditional African percussion. They are LOUD AS gently caress and I've only ever met like 3 people who could actually play one.

Did some youtube searching, doesn't sound like they're incompatible to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De5TQBEyDec

On the flipside, I didn't find one with bongos/guitar that wasn't horribad. Even on ones where the bongo guy is clearly very good, the bongos are abrasive as gently caress.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

HollisBrown posted:

Jembes are traditionally part of an ensemble, with one lead jembe, and several other jembes and dunduns providing accompaniment. They are also often used to provide dramatic accent and backing for a storyteller.

Besides, who gives a drat what they were "meant to be"? This is music; unless you are recreating a specific historic style, all that matters is what sounds good. Plus, it's not like African musicians don't use the jembe in more popular/modern contexts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXYgCf24z5M

Jembes are awesome, but they are a musical instrument, and reward study and proper technique. If you go that route, go to some workshops or take a couple of lessons, learn the proper "syllables" and practice some traditional rhythms.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I'm learning guitar and have been trying to memorize the fretboard, chord names, all of that good stuff. I've been messing around and found I like the sound of this:

E-----
B-----
G-----
D--7--
A--9--
E-----

I've been checking that I've got the right names with JamPlay's chord library and I can't figure out what the gently caress this is called. Considering that this is apparently called Em(no 5):

E-----
B-----
G-----
D--5--
A--7--
E-----

I'd expect the first chord to be a Gb/F#(no 5)? It sounds nice so I think it must be a thing and I'm missing something. Apparently the no 5 references triads which I know nothing about so I guess I need to learn that too. :morning:

Apologies if this is a really moronic thing to ask, I'm enjoying learning a lot but I'm really new at this, maybe I'm skipping ahead a bit fast.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're not technically chords

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

muike posted:

They're not technically chords

Like I said; I'm new at this, so could you maybe elaborate and offer some insight instead of being a smug rear end in a top hat?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Sorry, wasn't being smug - probably shouldn't have posted while doing something else.
Chords have 3 or more tones in them, whereas what you've got right here, an F# and a A and an E and a G are just dyads or intervals.
edit: read the first one wrong, they're both minor third intervals, with the first being an F# and A

muike fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 8, 2012

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Thank you, apologies for jumping to conclusions. :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's okay, it looks like my brain is all hosed up today anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Once you learn a bit of music theory it will make more sense, but the short version is that your lowest note is the root note (Gb/F# for the first chord, E for the second), and the higher note is a minor 3rd above it. Ignoring anything that involves or crosses over the B string (since it fucks up the pattern), you can take a note anywhere, then go two frets lower on the next string up (the next thinner one) and you get the minor 3rd, which sounds sad :(. If you only go one fret lower, you get the major 3rd which sounds happier :). You can get these notes on the same string as your starting note (3 frets higher for m3, 4 frets higher for M3) but if you want to get that chord action going on you'll need to play them simultaneously, which means playing the start note and your 3rd on different strings.

Basically a chord is technically 3 or more notes and 2 is called a double-stop, but it's the same thing - stacking notes together to create harmony, which sounds different depending on the distance (called the interval) between the notes. Your basic major chord is the root, major 3rd and 5th of a scale, and a minor chord is the root, minor 3rd and 5th. But it's common to drop the 5th from more complex chords, because that interval (called the perfect 5th) kinda adds the least amount of character, compared to all the other intervals you might have. That's basically what you're doing, paring it down to a sparser chord with the same rugged flavour, and that's why the chords you looked up have that 'no 5' tag - they're omitting the 5th you'd usually expect.

I'm typing way more than I meant to again so I'll just say people do the opposite too - you may have heard of a power chord, which is just the root and 5th (and sometimes the octave), which is neither major nor minor (no 3rd!) and it drat well likes it that way. It's neutral and uncomplicated, and is used a hell of a lot in rock music. You can get the 5th by playing the next string, two frets higher. You might realise you've already been using this!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I have a Vox AC15 that seems like it may have a grounding issue - maybe someone here can help me diagnose it. With guitar 1, I get a strong buzz through the amp if I'm not touching a metal part. Guitar 1 also has no issues when played through other amps. Guitar 2 has no buzz through the AC15 (apart from regular single coil hum). My bass also has a minor amount of buzz through the AC15 that goes away when I touch metal, but not nearly to the same extent as guitar 1.

My initial thought is that there's something wrong with the input jack on the AC15 - it's a little wobbly, and I thought it might be the source of the grounding issue, but the experience with guitar 2 is stumping me. Any ideas?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are the other well-behaved amps plugged into the same socket as your Vox when you test them?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Are the other well-behaved amps plugged into the same socket as your Vox when you test them?
Yes, I made sure to try it in the exact same socket - I had the same thought.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
So we're thinking of getting my stepdaughter a ukelele, I've seen cheap ones before that couldn't hold their tuning for more than a couple of strums though so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good make or whatever to look out for. Looking to spend £50 or less (UK) but there's no point in buying something poo poo, any help appreciated, thanks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

duggimon posted:

So we're thinking of getting my stepdaughter a ukelele, I've seen cheap ones before that couldn't hold their tuning for more than a couple of strums though so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good make or whatever to look out for. Looking to spend £50 or less (UK) but there's no point in buying something poo poo, any help appreciated, thanks.

Getting something decent for that price is going to be tough unless you can find something second hand. If you can go as high as £75-100, look at a Lanikai LU-21C or a Kala KA-C.

Also you might want to PM TapTheForwardAssist, I think he's the resident uke expert around here.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stupid drumming question. Lately I've found myself playing a lot of crash stuff where I'm hitting the cymbal on quarter notes for the loud bits, but often the cymbal will swing out of rhythm with how I'm hitting it, where it'll be further away than expected when I want to hit it or swinging back up to meet my stick for the next note, both of which make it tonally inconsistent as well as loving annoying. Is this a question of technique or hardware or both, and how do others handle it?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
When installing my freshly potted pickups I stupidly (lightly) scratched a nickel-plated humbucker cover with a screwdriver. It's a very fine scratch, not deep.

Anyone here aware of a rubbing compound/polish combo that I could safely use to remove this fine scratch without damaging or further scratching this shiny new cover? I don't have access to a buffing wheel.

Thanks for your time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

duggimon posted:

You might find this interesting, found in the ukulele thread.

http://youtu.be/sGcscQZE5sk

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dr. Faustus posted:

When installing my freshly potted pickups I stupidly (lightly) scratched a nickel-plated humbucker cover with a screwdriver. It's a very fine scratch, not deep.

Anyone here aware of a rubbing compound/polish combo that I could safely use to remove this fine scratch without damaging or further scratching this shiny new cover? I don't have access to a buffing wheel.

Thanks for your time.

If it's really a very fine scratch you might try chamois leather. Be prepared to sit there for an hour or more, though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Stupid drumming question. Lately I've found myself playing a lot of crash stuff where I'm hitting the cymbal on quarter notes for the loud bits, but often the cymbal will swing out of rhythm with how I'm hitting it, where it'll be further away than expected when I want to hit it or swinging back up to meet my stick for the next note, both of which make it tonally inconsistent as well as loving annoying. Is this a question of technique or hardware or both, and how do others handle it?

Try tipping your cymbals toward you, they look pretty flat in the pic you posted in the other thread so having the balance shifted to one edge might be enough to make them go into their default position once struck as opposed to being level and wobbling around until the felt absorbs all of the momentum. Maybe try just tightening them into the felt a bit more also.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Colonel J posted:

Thanks a lot Hollis, you've been very helpful! I didn't know changing keys like that right in the middle of a chorus was A Thing. I thought key changes were a bit more, "static" or predictable if you will, like at the start of a measure or something.

Just for the record, Hollis's analysis is incorrect. The verses are indeed in Bm, but the chorus very obviously modulates to A major, then G major, both with a IV-I progression. It's a fairly common concept. The fist example that springs to my mind is Paul Simon's Boy In The Bubble, which has verses in Am and a chorus in G major, but there's loads more.

Although it's possible to "overthink" popular music, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to analyse its progressions in traditional terms. Popular music tends to use fewer voices than jazz or classical, but any form of music based in Western tonality necessarily follows the same principles of tension and release.

EDIT: I realise I come off as a bit of a dick here, I didn't mean to. I make plenty of mistakes myself.

As for my own small question, somewhat obliquely related: I've never managed to get into Pink Floyd, though part of me knows that it's an essential part of last century's musical history. However, it seems all I've heard of them are endless delay-saturated jams and plodding, soft-focus ballads. What should I listen to to change my mind?

cactuscarpet fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 28, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RandomCheese posted:

Try tipping your cymbals toward you, they look pretty flat in the pic you posted in the other thread so having the balance shifted to one edge might be enough to make them go into their default position once struck as opposed to being level and wobbling around until the felt absorbs all of the momentum. Maybe try just tightening them into the felt a bit more also.

Hm. Well, they can't actually get any tighter, but the felt and nut setup I have is pretty low-budget, so I may need to look at my mounting. As for the tilt, I'll try that out next time I get a chance to play. They are pretty flat, but that's probably exaggerated a little bit, since to get that photo, I had to stand on my stool, hold the camera practically at the ceiling and point it straight down.

...actually, no, I must be hallucinating. They're basically level. Huh. I thought they were tilted more.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

cactuscarpet posted:

As for my own small question, somewhat obliquely related: I've never managed to get into Pink Floyd, though part of me knows that it's an essential part of last century's musical history. However, it seems all I've heard of them are endless delay-saturated jams and plodding, soft-focus ballads. What should I listen to to change my mind?

"Relics" is a compilation album of PF's early psychedelic-pop singles from when Syd Barrett was still involved with the band.

"Animals" is a concept album based on Orwell's "Animal Farm". Pay attention to the lyrics.

Give "The Wall" a watch while you're at it.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
I know this is an obscure question, but does anyone have experience with this accordion:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-German-Piano-Accordion-Weltmeister-Meteor-120-Bass-Case-/150899143274#shId
I want to get a good high-quality accordion for myself, and have found this exact model being sold locally. I am going to check it out next week. Do you guys think the price this guy in ebay is asking is too high? The dude offering me his used accordion has not set a price, meaning I will start with a very low offer.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Does anyone have any suggestions for ordering band stickers? I've been looking at Stickermule and while the product looks very nice I'm wondering if I could find a better priced alternative.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
This might be an obvious question, but it's been bugging me all day at work. I read that Les Paul's have shorter necks and the frets are closer together than traditional Stratocasters, but I can't figure out how that works while still keeping the same tonality. Wouldn't changing the fret size and neck scale also change the tones of each fret?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It does change the timbre of the instrument, but the spacing adjustments work with the shorter scale to keep the notes on the correct pitch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the frets basically divide the string into various fractions that correspond to the different notes - like the 12th fret is always exactly halfway along the string from nut to saddle, the 7th fret is 2/3 of the way up, the 5th fret is 3/4 of the way up... so long as you keep all the distances relative, you can take something as small as a uke or long as a bass, and it'll still produce the correct intervals (based on the note of the open string)

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
Aren't you forgetting that the modern guitar is set up for 12-Tone Equal Temperament tuning and not Just Intonation making your estimates wrong by something along the lines of 1% for the perfect fifth and forth ? :goonsay: :smugspike: :smugdog::pipe:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Modern guitar? Or modern guitar

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

baka kaba posted:

Hope you're okay with an instrument that can only play in a couple of keys.

You can also play a fretless instrument, but that requires substantial skill and ear training, and good luck quickly playing barre chords on a fretless.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I am not a good musician and I have a cold. Can I get this explained to me? I follow that the fret weirdness makes it so the frets are more accurate to the different strings, but is this the same scale as a standard guitar, just with improved accuracy, or is this for some janky tuning from progfusion town?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Allen Wren posted:

I am not a good musician and I have a cold. Can I get this explained to me? I follow that the fret weirdness makes it so the frets are more accurate to the different strings, but is this the same scale as a standard guitar, just with improved accuracy, or is this for some janky tuning from progfusion town?

Guessing maybe it's for some quartertone type poo poo?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I stole it from here
http://www.organicdesign.org/peterson/guitars/index.html

Apparently it has all the normal frets with some extra harmonic tones added in with extra frets, but looks like too many breaks to me. I'm too tired to work this out, let's just let the music speak for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYlsLNTjrc

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Surely that's an unfair representation of his artistic skill.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It was on the front page as a demo, I just thought it was a great way to introduce people to the instrument. To be fair there are some cool noises in there, just might be a bit too soon to put the dissonant post-hardcore potential up front

This is neater though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2eukIoSsKM

e- that part 2 video is pretty uh, wild. I can't tell if he's doing insanely complex intervals or just shifting a pattern up and down. Either way I reckon that's how Henry Kaiser thinks he sounds in his head

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 3, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're both pretty interesting, but I'd probably be too impatient to deal with it even with how great it can sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Would anybody find a live audio/mixing thread useful? I didn't see one anywhere in ML, and while I've considered just posting one and seeing what happens, I'd like to do something pretty comprehensive, and I'd rather not sink a ton of time into it if nobody would use it.