Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The problem is phone companies in Canada don't like unlocking phones. In Australia if you've been on a contract for more than 90 days you just call them up and ask to have the phone unlocked and they'll do it for you, that's easy. I've literally never heard of that happening in Canada.

Also isn't Sasktel still on CDMA, and so don't use sim cards, or has that all changed in the four years I was gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I use Amaysim, 39.95 a month prepaid and I get unlimited calls and text and 4 gig of data a month. They use the Optus network so they aren't too bad. I think there are a couple of other companies that offer something similar, one of them is Red Bull Mobile but I think they use they vodaphone network.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

The problem is phone companies in Canada don't like unlocking phones. In Australia if you've been on a contract for more than 90 days you just call them up and ask to have the phone unlocked and they'll do it for you, that's easy. I've literally never heard of that happening in Canada.

Also isn't Sasktel still on CDMA, and so don't use sim cards, or has that all changed in the four years I was gone?
Ah crap, I forgot about that. Yeah, we're still on CDMA here. I need to talk to them anyways, I'll see if I can figure this out through their idiocy, uselessness, incompetence, and propaganda scripts. Can you tell I don't much like Sasktel?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Ah crap, I forgot about that. Yeah, we're still on CDMA here. I need to talk to them anyways, I'll see if I can figure this out through their idiocy, uselessness, incompetence, and propaganda scripts. Can you tell I don't much like Sasktel?

Yeah, if you're on a CDMA phone that doesn't use sim cards, you're going to be completely screwed in Australia and probably have to buy a new phone. AFAIK, every single major phone company in Australia is 100% GSM now, Telstra used to have a few CDMA towers set up in the middle of the outback, but even those are gone.

Sorry dude, because that really sucks. You can buy a basic prepaid phone in Australia for around $50 at least, sometimes $20 if you look around for a deal. They're not going to do much for you if you plan on using data though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

Sorry dude, because that really sucks. You can buy a basic prepaid phone in Australia for around $50 at least, sometimes $20 if you look around for a deal. They're not going to do much for you if you plan on using data though.
I guess I'll buy a phone while I'm in Hobart, get it unlocked (I'll be there for more than 90 days, so I might go that route), and bring it back with me to Saskatchewan. Then argue with Sasktel until the sun goes nova.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ExecuDork posted:

I guess I'll buy a phone while I'm in Hobart, get it unlocked (I'll be there for more than 90 days, so I might go that route), and bring it back with me to Saskatchewan. Then argue with Sasktel until the sun goes nova.

Might want to consider buying it before you leave North America. We pay crazy time prices for electronics here.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Might want to consider buying it before you leave North America. We pay crazy time prices for electronics here.

I bought an HTC desire HD a couple of years ago, and paid $600ish over ebay. Would have cost me over $1000 in store.

Same deal for my last phone (HTC 1x)

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Oh thanks! That Amaysim thing looks pretty good to me, maybe I'll try their 20$ plan and check if I need more data.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Alkazard.exe posted:

In Australia that will net you about 10 texts a month. :v:

Okay, slight exaggeration, but telco's here have no competition and all bend you over as far as you can, and then a little more.

Prepaid is literally.. pre-paying. You rarely get deals beyond "You paid for $20 of calls/texts/data, that's what you get. Texts are 25c, calls are pretty high, and data is something stupid like $2/mb.
THAT SAID: You can buy data packs (which are still extortionate compared to EU). I'd say this is about your only option[Telstra]:
$5 = 250mb; $15 = 1GB; $30 = 3GB; $60 = 8GB; A MONTH. That means at the end of the month anything you didn't use is out the window.

(Italics mine) Well that majorly sucks. Mine just carries over, I have some random O2 sim whereby I top up £10 a month (my phone is literally the oldest brick ever and counts a colour screen and a light-up keypad as features! So no internet or this fancy pants data malarky) and I get 300 free texts and which usually lasts me however long, and then once they run out I just use up the £10 texting and then top-up again, so it's like £5 a month. I'm going to miss retardedly cheap texting, aren't I?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lizard Combatant posted:

Am I reading the Telstra website wrong? In their "pre-paid mobiles" section, they list a bunch of phones, including a Samsung Galaxy Y (choice of pink or silver) for $99. I don't have an address in Australia, yet, so I can't go through the buying process far enough to get more details, but it looks like $99 gets a smartphone, and $10 credit that expires in two weeks. From that point, you just buy those $20 (or whatever) credits for pay-as-you-go, right?

Is it just the Galaxy Y is a crappy phone? Honestly I was expecting smartphones to cost $400-$800 unless I sign up for a long-term plan / contract.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
If you are going to be in Tasmania for any length of time, for gently caress's sake do not go with Optus. Do not go with anyone but Telstra. I did a motor home tour there last year for 10 days and had basically no service the entire time apart from in Hobart CBD and even then it was patchy. My friend's Telstra iPad always had service though.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ExecuDork posted:

Am I reading the Telstra website wrong? In their "pre-paid mobiles" section, they list a bunch of phones, including a Samsung Galaxy Y (choice of pink or silver) for $99. I don't have an address in Australia, yet, so I can't go through the buying process far enough to get more details, but it looks like $99 gets a smartphone, and $10 credit that expires in two weeks. From that point, you just buy those $20 (or whatever) credits for pay-as-you-go, right?

Is it just the Galaxy Y is a crappy phone? Honestly I was expecting smartphones to cost $400-$800 unless I sign up for a long-term plan / contract.

No, you're not reading it wrong. For some things, Australian buyers do get reamed, but for mobile telecomms service and gear Australians don't do that badly (at least in comparison to the US/Canada, although comparisons with the UK aren't as good).

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008

Gloomiebat posted:

(Italics mine) Well that majorly sucks. Mine just carries over, I have some random O2 sim whereby I top up £10 a month (my phone is literally the oldest brick ever and counts a colour screen and a light-up keypad as features! So no internet or this fancy pants data malarky) and I get 300 free texts and which usually lasts me however long, and then once they run out I just use up the £10 texting and then top-up again, so it's like £5 a month. I'm going to miss retardedly cheap texting, aren't I?

Just to clarify, "credit"(calls/text) is nearly indefinite (read: 3 years or some poo poo), but data usage doesn't carry over. Sorry about any confusion.

But yeah, the phones like the Galaxy Y are kinda just a foot in the door to smart phones. Decent for what you pay. Keep in mind all those phones are locked to the network. Time or a hefty fee apply.
The new S3 costs probably $8-900 outright now? I think mine was 520Euro the month they came out.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr Chips posted:

No, you're not reading it wrong. For some things, Australian buyers do get reamed, but for mobile telecomms service and gear Australians don't do that badly (at least in comparison to the US/Canada, although comparisons with the UK aren't as good).

Really? I assumed we did.

Yeah that probably isn't a bad deal (except that it will be locked) and if you're in Tasmania, Telstra is your best bet. We're not exaggerating the general shittyness of coverage by our telecoms. If you're literally not leaving Hobart, I guess any of the others are fine though.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Get this phone with Telstra for $45. http://www.zte.com.au/telstra/T95.htm Pay $30 prepaid and get something like $300 worth of calls. Its not the cheapest option but it works all over Australia. I'm working 500-750Km inland and manage to still get bars away from the small towns and main roads.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron

Alkazard.exe posted:

Just to clarify, "credit"(calls/text) is nearly indefinite (read: 3 years or some poo poo), but data usage doesn't carry over. Sorry about any confusion.

Ah, I getcha, that's good to know; thanks for clarifying!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
So much great info in this thread. Thank you, everyone!

OK, here's my plan: arrive in Hobart late October, buy Telstra babby's-first-smartphone (Galaxy Y or similar) for ~$100, get onto pay-as-you-go. After 90 days (late January), call up Telstra, ask for phone to be unlocked. Late February, carry phone back to Canada, negotiate with Sasktel (optional: kidnap high-level Sasktel employees to facilitate negotiations) to use my unlocked phone on their network.

I'm certainly not going to be staying in Hobart all the time - there are 19 national parks in Tasmania, which is not too far away from the number of weekends I'll have to spend exploring. Obviously, I'm not expecting (nor am I hoping) that my phone will work in a national park or other wilderness area, but if the car breaks down on the road to/from somewhere it'll be nice to be able to call for help.

On that point, is there a car-club organization in Tasmania? I'm a member of the Canadian Automobile Association, is there a similar organization that gives me a phone number to call if I lock myself out of my car, or dump it in a ditch, or whatever, in exchange for an annual membership fee?

\/\/\/ Awesome. Thanks to both of you!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 11, 2012

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
^^Most states have a RAC*, Tasmania is RACT

Your plan should include going to Stanley (northwest coast), staying at the Stanley Pub and eating all of their food. Just ask for one of everything. But AT LEAST eat the seafood chowder oh my god I can't even tell you how good it was, one of the most delicious things I've ever put in my mouth I could've eaten bowls and bowls of it.

Tasmania rules so hard.

Sharks Below fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 10, 2012

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

On that point, is there a car-club organization in Tasmania? I'm a member of the Canadian Automobile Association, is there a similar organization that gives me a phone number to call if I lock myself out of my car, or dump it in a ditch, or whatever, in exchange for an annual membership fee?
http://www.ract.com.au/

Most Australian auto clubs/associations are in the Alliance Internationale de Tourisme, as is the CAA, so there should be some sort of reciprocal agreement.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

NoArmedMan posted:

Yeah, this.

I don't know why your advisor had so much trouble. Walk in to a 7/11 or supermarket, buy $2 sim, register and put money on it via the internet or with a phone call. Done.

Just dont go with Vodaphone, their network is broken, go with Virgin or optus.

if you are going far from the city, Telstra has the best coverage but is the most expensive.

Oh, forgot to mention the cheapest possible option is TPG.com.au

They have a capped plan with no contract period (just a $20 setup fee) the $17/month plan gives you $550 of calls/texts and 1.5Gb of data.
They piggyback off the Optus network so if you're sticking around cities and not expecting satphone levels of coverage I'd reccommend you try them. They may take a day or so to get a SIM to you if you dont go to a store though. Theyre not the greatest of customer service.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 21, 2012

Silent Movie
Jul 23, 2007
I just came across this thread, so I will need to read up but I have a few outstanding questions at the moment.

I am currently planning a 3-4 week vacation with the girl to Australia from the USA. Right now I have an idea to rent a 4x4 and take some outback tracks (i.e. Oodnadatta) on the way to Uluru from Adelaide, with some meandering offroad excursions in-between. I don't have the route set yet, still doing research. I am an adept driver (7000 miles in 2 weeks in the US nbd) and have some manual transmission experience. No real offroad experience. I really don't want to be stuck on a tour bus or fly out from Adelaide to the interior. I'm comfortable with camping for extended periods of times & can handle proper planning (food, water, gas etc). This would be my first time driving in Australia or on the left. First time to Australia period. My plans also include some time in Sydney and Melbourne, with perhaps domestic flights between those cities and to Adelaide. Planning for a late September trip, but flexible if recommended.

- Is an Outback trip like this too much if I plan on spending some time in NSW/Victoria cities? Or, do I need more experience in Australia before I dive in like this?
- Rental options look to be around $150 - $200 AUD per day for a 4x4, which isn't exactly cheap. Is a 4x4 option the best bet or could I get away with a less expensive non-4x4 camper? (looking at this website for comparison: http://www.rmstravelcars.com.au/)
- Is September a good time to do this? It looks like the climate will still be cool but maybe not that wet.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Really excited to visit down under.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm assuming that wasn't a typo and you mean September next year? The weather should be quite nice, although October would greatly increase your chances of no rain (in South Australia that is).

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Just crossposting this (as I've posted in this thread a few times and there are a number of Aussies that read it). If you're a local or tourist, we're having a Melbourne Goon meet on October 20th at 7PM - details here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509626

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm assuming that wasn't a typo and you mean September next year? The weather should be quite nice, although October would greatly increase your chances of no rain (in South Australia that is).

Actually, summer is wetter than the winter months for Oodanadataa, but that's not saying much because it's in the middle of a desert. The mean rainfall for October is 14mm.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_017043.shtml

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr Chips posted:

Actually, summer is wetter than the winter months for Oodanadataa, but that's not saying much because it's in the middle of a desert. The mean rainfall for October is 14mm.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_017043.shtml

Yup, you're right. I wasn't thinking that far north.

September will be fine Silent Movie.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

I've spent some time out there. A few years ago two friends and I did a trip from Adelaide to Adelaide, via the Flinders Ranges, Arkaroola, William Creek, and across the Cooper Creek. Check out some photos here: http://parabola.mig15.net/~steven/satrip/. If you have any questions about photos, give me a number and I'll tell you where it was taken and what's going on. I don't think GPS coordinates are embedded in those images.

We did the trip in late July/early August. It rained a bit, but it wasn't too bad. We did see Lake Eyre in flood, which is rare, and we did cross the Cooper Creek on a ferry rather than a road (also very rare).

A great route could be this: http://goo.gl/maps/If1sx

Although there is a road north from Oodndatta to Dalhousie, and from there to Finke, and from Finke to the main highway.

It could be warm in October and depending on the season you may be subject to fire restrictions, which can make cooking a pain in the rear end - and besides, everyone wants a camp fire, right?

Although most of the desert roads are remote, they have a reasonable amount of traffic during tourist season - which peaks in July and August. Tyres for common vehicles are readily available and it's possible to have them repaired in most towns or roadhouses. Diesel and unleaded (91) are available everywhere, with diesel being the most common.

You really should do the trip in a four wheel drive. A two wheel drive car will severely restrict movements. Unsealed roads are frequently closed to all but heavy (semis) or four wheel drive vehicles due to rain.

For the route above, I guess the following could work:

Day 1: Adelaide to Wilpena. ^@$#*
Day 2: Around Wilpena.
Day 3: Wilpena to Arkaroola.
Day 4: Around Arkaroola.
Day 5: Around Arkaroola.
Day 6: Arkaroola to William Creek.
Day 7: Around William Creek.
Day 8: William Creek to north of Oodnadatta.
Day 9: North of Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs (hot springs, Google it!).
Day 10: Dalhousie to Kulgera.
Day 11: Kulgera to Kings Canyon.
Day 12: Around Kings Canyon.
Day 13: Around Kings Canyon.
Day 14: Kings Canyon to Uluru.
Day 15+: Around Uluru.

And that's rushing it.

It would be easy to spend another week, particularly if you like stopping to check things out - there's a hell of a lot to see, and there can be some great events, too. Think a black tie ball in the middle of the desert, or hot springs in the middle of nowhere, or a 2 day hike in the mountains, or a random but from group of people to hang out with, or some good food in a few places, or a pretty location for a camp site, or ruins and mines and history to check out, or whatever. There are diversions everywhere, particularly in the Flinders Ranges (Wilpena) and Gammon Ranges (Arkaroola). William Creek is a great place and it would be easy to spend a few days there, doing nothing but reading books during the day and getting in to mischief at the pub at night. Also, take a flight over Lake Eyre from William Creek.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I've got a friend from Germany who I met overseas coming to Australia in a few weeks.

He's only 19 and is on a very budget conscious trip. He wants to know about doing any kind of job possible (like fruit picking) to have a little extra money over here.

I believe he has organised a working visa and all that (if he hasn't then thats not my problem) but are there any resources a tourist could use that lists jobs for someone in his position?

I only really know of stuff in Sydney but no idea about the stuff up the east coast or out in the middle of nowhere.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Fists Up posted:

I've got a friend from Germany who I met overseas coming to Australia in a few weeks.

He's only 19 and is on a very budget conscious trip. He wants to know about doing any kind of job possible (like fruit picking) to have a little extra money over here.

I believe he has organised a working visa and all that (if he hasn't then thats not my problem) but are there any resources a tourist could use that lists jobs for someone in his position?

I only really know of stuff in Sydney but no idea about the stuff up the east coast or out in the middle of nowhere.

If he has a working holiday visa he can get a job doing anything. Admin, data entry, etc.

Fruit picking and such is hard work. If he really wants to do it then check out this site:

http://www.wwoof.com.au/

This site, monthly book and forum is what many people on working holiday visas used.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

After a couple weeks in hostels I'm finally moving into an apartment next week. I tried to set up internet (200GB, 90$ per month, 24 months) with Telstra (through directconnect), but it was declined because of "issues with my credit rating" - what? I never had any problems with bills/credit cards. The Telstra guy said I could opt for a lower rate (5GB, 80$ per month) and switch into the higher one after 6 months, but that just looked like a ridiculously bad deal to me.

Did anyone who moved to Australia have a problem like this and/or know a provider with good high-volume rates?

And do you guys have something like Netflix (movie/TV streaming service) here? I saw Quickflix mentioned in some article, does that one work?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

plasmoduck posted:

Did anyone who moved to Australia have a problem like this and/or know a provider with good high-volume rates?

The best thing about Telstra is their cable Internet and mobile phone coverage. Their ADSL plans suck.

There are plenty of good providers, check out iiNet, for example: http://www.iinet.net.au/internet/broadband/adsl/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

plasmoduck posted:

After a couple weeks in hostels I'm finally moving into an apartment next week. I tried to set up internet (200GB, 90$ per month, 24 months) with Telstra (through directconnect), but it was declined because of "issues with my credit rating" - what? I never had any problems with bills/credit cards. The Telstra guy said I could opt for a lower rate (5GB, 80$ per month) and switch into the higher one after 6 months, but that just looked like a ridiculously bad deal to me.

And do you guys have something like Netflix (movie/TV streaming service) here? I saw Quickflix mentioned in some article, does that one work?
I'm guessing you haven't been in Australia long?

I had the same problem when I tried to get a phone (through Optus though). I think it's that you have a complete lack of credit.

I can't give you a solution though since I told Optus to gently caress off and we just signed up under my husband's name for internet and Foxtel and stuff.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

plasmoduck posted:

Seconding iiNet

Also, Netflix. You can get Netflix with an Australian credit card using a US address. Hulu Plus doesn't allow you to do this. You'll also need some kind of DNS forwarding/VPN - I recommend http://unblock-us.com/

You punch some DNS settings in your router/pc/device (depending on how you want to set up, all explained in their support) and pay 4.99 a month and you have access to all major geoblocked services - including netflix.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you're talking about Netflix et al, TPG do unlimited ADSL for $70/month.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

plasmoduck posted:

I had no issues and I was new to Australia myself.

I was with internode naked. Naked means that I don't need an active telephone line and I can cancel at anytime, month-by month rolling.

I was paying $130 AUD a month for up to 500GB down/up. Speed was 22mbps (about 2.2MB download).

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Thanks a lot for the input!

HookShot, yeah I just arrived in Melbourne a couple weeks ago. My boyfriend is coming next week so he probably won't be of help in this case either.

For now I signed up with TPG for a 6 months "unlimited ADSL" plan (60$ pm, 100$ setup), since and we may move after our lease is up. My colleagues also mentioned iiNet and I've heard good things about internode customer service - if TPG is giving us problems we know where to look next. :)

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Quick question, I'm in the process of applying for a working holiday visa (462, im from the USA) and they ask about health insurance. I do not currently have health insurance, and they state it's recommended (but not strictly required, though I assume I could still be rejected on that basis). I intend on getting some sort of healthcare eventually, but money is sorta tight at the moment. Is it gonna be a make it or break it thing? Should I just break down and buy a years worth of travel insurance, or will I most likely be accepted without? I don't have any medical problems to speak of. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
They probably won't check, I just came over from the US on the 462 as well. I got mine through Australian health, or IMAN http://www.austhealth.com/ I just wanted to make sure I had everything in order when I was arriving, but going through customs/immigration was a breeze and noone so much as asked for any of my documents(bank statement, health insurance, etc.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My advice is if you can't spend the money on travel insurance, seeing as it costs less than $1000, you can't afford to go to Australia for a year. Unless of course something in your situation changes and you're going to get more money before you go, because seriously, $1000 will last you like 2, maybe 3 weeks in Australia if you can't get work right away.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Quick question: I normally wear a Leatherman multitool on my belt and thus boxes fear me. Obviously if I bring it to Australia it will be in checked luggage, but once I'm there will I get in any trouble for this habit? Some places seem to be more worried about knives than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Quick question: I normally wear a Leatherman multitool on my belt and thus boxes fear me. Obviously if I bring it to Australia it will be in checked luggage, but once I'm there will I get in any trouble for this habit? Some places seem to be more worried about knives than others.

I've never done it, but honestly I really doubt you would unless you start flashing it around.