Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ariong posted:

Oh poo poo, John's about get his rear end woken up. Took out a good 12th or so of Jack's heath, though.

Here's a still image for those curious:

Wait. Wait wait wait wait. Ridiculous hat is an 8. There are no 8s in this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ariong posted:

Oh poo poo, John's about get his rear end woken up. Took out a good 12th or so of Jack's heath, though.

Here's a still image for those curious:

But he didn't roll an eight. :raise:

E: :argh:

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.
I think you'll find he rolled eight dice :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, Jack is going to flip his poo poo.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
He didn't even roll a number divisible by 8. WTF Hussie?

Also, last night I had a dream that a new album was released called "Goodbye Hussie." The album artwork had a picture oh Hussie wearing the Maid of Cash outfit and it had about 50 songs on it. I wish that my dream was true. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Maybe this is actually a super lucky roll and Jack will get so enraged his ichor-pumping god-dog heart stops.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Mister Gutsy posted:

I think you'll find he rolled eight dice :colbert:

There's eight dice in the hammer no matter what, I thought.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dumb idea: those dice appear to be vaguely grouped into three sets-- 6/5, 2/6/7, and 1/3/4. 11, 15, 8.

First two select a category, second three select a subcategory, last three determine the effect?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There is no one option on that list I wouldn't like to see. Perhaps pony stampede in particular, since they're in mid-air and all.

Anyway, cue Jack losing his poo poo over a dumb hat. He's upgraded from "standard issue stab-greeting" to "Actually hates him for some sort of reason that might possibly make some sort of sense."

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

A digital copy of this dumb stupid-long comic is what I've always wanted (just the thought of how many physical books would be needed to cover the whole story makes me laugh at the very idea because laughter is the only response left in the sandblasted ruins of my mind after it tries to comprehend such a thing) and if that goal is actually going to get reached then I might up my pledge to get it. It's still a steep climb, though.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Dumb idea: those dice appear to be vaguely grouped into three sets-- 6/5, 2/6/7, and 1/3/4. 11, 15, 8.

First two select a category, second three select a subcategory, last three determine the effect?

You're suggesting that three eight-sided dice determine the result... by choosing from a table that only goes up to 8? Determining the final effect by finding the remainder of the sum of three eight-sided dice divided by eight seems like a really contrived way to go about it. I mean, I've seen shittier die-roll mechanics in my time, but the original FLUORITE OCTET certainly didn't work like that.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Either Jack is going to royally flip out, or the realization that he fought for his life all this way just to get a silly hat put on him all over again is going to throw him into the depths of despair.

(Alternate take: The silly hat is, unbeknownst to us just yet, unbelievably deadly.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Literally Sharks posted:

You're suggesting that three eight-sided dice determine the result... by choosing from a table that only goes up to 8? Determining the final effect by finding the remainder of the sum of three eight-sided dice divided by eight seems like a really contrived way to go about it. I mean, I've seen shittier die-roll mechanics in my time, but the original FLUORITE OCTET certainly didn't work like that.

It would be like middle of the road in terms of convoluted poo poo this comic has featured.

Edit: Though, yeah, in retrospect a result table that goes up to 8 for three dice was kind of my brain throwing a rod.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 3, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Doug Rattman posted:

There's eight dice in the hammer no matter what, I thought.

Imagine eight balls (dice) on the edge of a cliff(pop-o-matic vrillyhoo warhammer).

A direct copy of the first ball (representing free will) is sent to the back of the line of balls (representing destiny) and takes the place of the first ball (free will). Vriska (Vriska) works the same way.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

A digital copy of this dumb stupid-long comic is what I've always wanted (just the thought of how many physical books would be needed to cover the whole story makes me laugh at the very idea because laughter is the only response left in the sandblasted ruins of my mind after it tries to comprehend such a thing) and if that goal is actually going to get reached then I might up my pledge to get it. It's still a steep climb, though.

If it reaches that goal, I might actually down my pledge from Slickpack to Gamepack 2 just to get the offline copy. Tacky merchandise is fun, but to have Homestuck forever is far better.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It was nice knowing you, this instance of dream-John.

Cue the Miles.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...I want to see the outcome of so many of those rolls.

But mostly I am just confused about the mechanics. Vriska's dice had 8^8 outcomes. No clue how John's works.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

If it reaches that goal, I might actually down my pledge from Slickpack to Gamepack 2 just to get the offline copy. Tacky merchandise is fun, but to have Homestuck forever is far better.

I'd probably suggest keeping it like it is, since like the game itself, there will definitely be chances to buy an offline copy later on when it comes out, but we don't know how much of the physical merchandise in the kickstarter may remain kickstarter-only.

Maybe not all of it, but I can imagine some of it going into the equivalent of the Disney Vault. (Like the Gamebro shirt did back then :arghfist::()

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

But mostly I am just confused about the mechanics. Vriska's dice had 8^8 outcomes. No clue how John's works.

Should be the same. The roulette wheel is, in theory, for the final result after 7 dice have landed and the last one is rolling around (Vriska's rolls used the same display.)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Buccaneer Majyckks.

Incidentally if that isn't a skill in Dungeon of Dredmor, it really ought to be.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Seoinin posted:

Buccaneer Majyckks.

Incidentally if that isn't a skill in Dungeon of Dredmor, it really ought to be.

It already is. :ssh:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Whichever numbers he doesn't roll he gets their effects?

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Whichever numbers he doesn't roll he gets their effects?

That system sounds exactly like something Hussie would come up with.

And I'm kind of glad it only did a small amount of damage to Jack - it means we just might see what the other ones do.:allears:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Robo-Slap posted:

And I'm kind of glad it only did a small amount of damage to Jack - it means we just might see what the other ones do.:allears:
Small amount of damage... small amount of damage!?

I think you'll find that that... silly hat has done catastrophic damage to Jack's critical and Self-Dignity stat.

I would not blame Jack if he destroyed another universe in his indignation.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The silly hat has eight patterns on it. Nice touch.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 3, 2012

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

WAR FOOT posted:

The silly hat has eight patterns on it. Nice touch.

There's like, a pixel of a ninth one on there.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
One of tumblr's more crazy Homestuck theorists made a pretty cool theory about the ultimate riddle. It takes a lot of things as fact when they have not been anywhere close to confirmed, and I don't fully agree with everything he says (especially about the aspects and classes) but it's still an interesting read.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A lot of it is stuff we've already discussed here: That stuff like time loops seem to be based on intent more than anything, and the game is challenging player to overcome their limitations.

Just skimming, I disagree with his assertion that every troll that died, died because the game did not tolerate them not outgrowing their flaws.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't feel like stable time loops need an explanation any more than the eternal question "why is there something instead of nothing" needs an answer.

Saying that it comes from the character's intent is a non-answer anyway 'cause the characters themselves, and therefore also their minds and intents, are created via stable loop paradoxes. So that only adds another step in the causal chain, which remains steadfastly circular in contrast to all sane logic.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Why do people insist on ascribing motivation and powers to Skaia/Horrorterrors that we have no reason to believe they have, the alpha timeline is a self enforcing mechanic and stable time loops are simply an underlying consequence of the coexisting ideas of an alpha timeline and time travel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Color Printer posted:

Wait. Wait wait wait wait. Ridiculous hat is an 8. There are no 8s in this picture.

Exactly. It's the only number not eliminated.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Exactly. It's the only number not eliminated.

Eh, that seems unlikely. What if you rolled a set of straight 1s? Would you get options 2-8 all activating at once? What if you rolled one of each number? Would you get nothing?

It's possible, but there might be some more straightforward way to do this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
When did :rolldice: tables ever make sense? Especially with obscure poo poo like d8s.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RickoniX posted:

Why do people insist on ascribing motivation and powers to Skaia/Horrorterrors that we have no reason to believe they have, the alpha timeline is a self enforcing mechanic and stable time loops are simply an underlying consequence of the coexisting ideas of an alpha timeline and time travel.

Let's consider what we know about them. The Horrorterrors do at least exert an influence on Derse dreamers, bestowing knowledge and power on them, protecting them with Void-like blackouts, and expressing the desire to stop being killed by Lord English. (Still unknown: why he's killing them, whether they actually intended for the mission to destroy the Green Sun to succeed.) They created the heroes' afterlife (albeit at the behest of Feferi, who alone among all the characters was special to them, rather than necessarily as part of some scheme) and it is suggested that they influence the meetings that are able to happen there. They're quite unpleasant, they like chaos and madness and darkness, and their psychic presence can be felt throughout creation.

Skaia is described as all-seeing, and it's unknown to what extent Void abilities can stymie this. It is explicitly "passive" and "dormant," though it does make decisions - the destinations of the meteors it redirects to the planet that instantiates it, and the visions revealed in its clouds (as a side note, players and Prospitians can see visions in the clouds, but Dersites, or at least Jack, cannot - does Skaia get to choose who can see and what can be seen?). It takes initiative in creating its defense portals, indicating that it wants to preserve the Battlefield and thereby fulfill its purpose of incubating a new universe.

So it is clear that both Skaia and the dark gods do have some influence over the events of sessions. The goals of this influence are not obvious (Rose asked about the dark gods, but did not get an answer that humans could understand), and there are still some influences that are not clearly attributable to either - namely, the source of the genetic codes used to create a First Guardian. This is a point which I think is relevant.

Skaia undertakes the delivery of First Guardians, who ensure that Skaia is instantiated. Dersites create the First Guardian. Players, sometimes Prospit dreamers and sometimes Derse dreamers, sometimes in beta timelines and sometimes in the alpha timeline, receive the genetic code used to create them, from an unknown source (chucklevoodoos?). First Guardians receive their power from the Green Sun, which the horrorterrors claimed to want to destroy and whose creation Doc Scratch facilitated, presumably at the behest of Lord English (who himself has an unknown association with it). First Guardians are more powerful than horrorterrors, and they're powered by something that fills the infinite darkness of the abyss with light, around which countless incipispheres orbit, each with a Skaia at its center.

But you are right that even all of that doesn't mean that any action or quality of Skaia or the dark gods is what makes the alpha timeline special.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Eh, that seems unlikely. What if you rolled a set of straight 1s? Would you get options 2-8 all activating at once? What if you rolled one of each number? Would you get nothing?

It's possible, but there might be some more straightforward way to do this.

I just assumed that the numbers on the dice refer to the type of ridiculous hat that was going to be used.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Ultimate Riddle is going to turn out to be something incredibly silly like "how is toothpaste made?"

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

The Ultimate Riddle is going to turn out to be something incredibly silly like "how is toothpaste made?"

It'll be what are those red flag dealies on mailboxes called.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bongo Bill posted:

Skaia is described as all-seeing, and it's unknown to what extent Void abilities can stymie this. It is explicitly "passive" and "dormant," though it does make decisions - the destinations of the meteors it redirects to the planet that instantiates it, and the visions revealed in its clouds (as a side note, players and Prospitians can see visions in the clouds, but Dersites, or at least Jack, cannot
I'm pretty sure that only Prospit players see cloud visions, not that it's a big deal. Trying to foretell based off a cloud vision routinely misled the kids (and Calliope) because there's a lot that an image won't tell you, especially when there's no context. Jade goes out to say she learned more from the dream bubble she was in while temporarily dead than she ever had from Prospit's clouds. Consider the letter she passed with the bunny.

On the Ultimate Riddle, if there's a solution I think it would be to look beyond what's already here to the idealized end-state and do backwards planning on how to get there. This may even be what Rose is doing.

I've said it before, but I think a big hint to LE is the "he's already here joke" If the Alpha timeline is immutable as claimed, then past events conspired to lead to a point where LE arrives. So now he's here. But then again, now Dave isn't time travelling anymore and a tin-skinned robot doesn't have a thousand identical doomed sisters. At some point his machinations will catch up to where he is. LE may not be an idiot, but he doesn't have Scratch's omniscience either.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Welp, I finally broke. Hussie now has my money, goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bell_ posted:

I'm pretty sure that only Prospit players see cloud visions, not that it's a big deal.

I did wonder about that. Rose implies that she, unlike John, does not have access to the clouds of Skaia, but that may just be because Derse's moons are too far away to pass through the upper atmosphere. Later, Dave and Aradia make reference to the clouds of Skaia as if they were personally familiar with them, despite the fact that they are both Derse dreamers. Kanaya and Feferi mention in passing the differing oracular capabilities of their respective patrons.

But, as you said, it's not a big deal.