Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Tom has said on Formspring that Jones is her last name, and her only name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well, we've repeatedly had Annie call her "Miss Jones" and been rebuffed with "Just Jones, please", so I guess so.

Justine (or "Just" for short) is her first name.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If Annie is descended from Fire Elementals, why can't Jones be descended from Earth Elementals?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If Annie is descended from Fire Elementals, why can't Jones be descended from Earth Elementals?

When you think about the practicalities this seems a lot more reasonable.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

When you think about the practicalities this seems a lot more reasonable.

I mean the chapter is called "Stone" and so far has been mostly about Jones. She can deflect swords with her face, sinks almost instantly in water, and can just smush through solid walls without issue. Seems pretty likely.

Also: "will always be there for you" - kinda like a rock, or diamond? :v: She hasn't seemed to change much over many many years. Rocks tend to do that. They change with weathering and erosion, but much more slowly than anything else.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Jones is the Power of Stability.

Wait, maybe she's just a lady who liked rocks so much she chose to be one. Like that one guy in Sandman who thinks dying's for chumps and decides not to do it.
In all seriousness, I'm hoping Jones is something completely unexpected, it'd make me so happy.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 3, 2012

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Real question, is Jones actually Welsh?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So the twist is that Jones is actually a Nice Guy?

At least her powers will make it easy to carry his printer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What is Jones?

Jones is Eglamore's girlfriend.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Emotions are confusing and maddening, even for not-robots.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought about this too, since it seems to fit a lot of her characteristics. Still no clue what "Wandering Eye" could refer to.

Last panel of today's comic is great, Eglamore looks so uncomfortable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Laser Cow posted:

Real question, is Jones actually Welsh?

Would that explain things? I don't know much about Welshness except that Welsh Scrabble would be insane.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Fister Roboto posted:

Would that explain things? I don't know much about Welshness except that Welsh Scrabble would be insane.

Unlike the English who are born normally we Welsh are mined out of ancient dragon nests. That's why we hate Thatcher so much for closing down the mines.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And then Eglamore breaks Jones' robots and storms out.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

For twelve years you have been asking: Who is Jones?

She's the hand of the market calling it now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jones is short.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I wasn't reading this thread at the time of that chapter with Annie in the hospital where Zimmy does...something. Do we know what was going on there? Bones and talking birds and Kat is a monster bug and Jones and a mask and lots of things happened I don't understand.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
What if she's some kind of homunculus? Perhaps built to serve and train the Court's knight (or whatever proper title there is for Jimmy Jims). Did we see her in flashbacks before Eglamore was recruited as a kid?

That could be why he's lamenting over Surma while Jones is there. Jones just doesn't register to him on the social/ romance level.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ATP_Power posted:

Totally didn't notice it the first time, but Eglamore calls Jones "Jo" after they spar. Does that mean Jones is her only (current? Coyote certainly implied she has had several,) name?

Jo Jones and Jimmy Jims. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Amateur Sketch posted:

What if she's some kind of homunculus? Perhaps built to serve and train the Court's knight (or whatever proper title there is for Jimmy Jims). Did we see her in flashbacks before Eglamore was recruited as a kid?

She was mentioned, and implied to be of the same age group as them.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I wasn't reading this thread at the time of that chapter with Annie in the hospital where Zimmy does...something. Do we know what was going on there? Bones and talking birds and Kat is a monster bug and Jones and a mask and lots of things happened I don't understand.

I briefly summarized the chapter earlier in the thread, but as for the things you mentioned: The bones were a spell that Tony was casting to suppress Annie's soul-fire, which sent her into a coma. The bird on Kat's head was a representation of her internal monologue. The monster bug was actually more of an ibis-angel, and it's what Kat looks like to Zimmy when she goes all Silent-Hill-o-vision — probably on account of the robots, which may or may not be etheric beings, worshiping her as an angel. The thing with Jones was probably related to something that happened during Annie's stay in the forest, and the mask is representative of Annie's suppression of her own emotions.

Anything else that needs clearing up?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I really hope that there's not some nefarious, creepy plot behind Jones' relationship with Eglamore, and they just have their own weird, enduring relationship. They're a cute couple.

It also seems to me that Jones and Surma both show models of what Annie could grow up to be. Jones is the dispassionate agent of the Court, while Surma's the free-spirited medium in the Forest. They're not perfect opposites, and they're not absolutes, for instance, Surma's loyalties were never with Reynard, while Jones gives Annie a lot of leeway with regard to Jeane. But Annie came in distant and serious as hell, and then lightened up, then the incident in the forest happened, and now the question is, what's she going to be in the future?

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Rasamune posted:

I briefly summarized the chapter earlier in the thread, but as for the things you mentioned: The bones were a spell that Tony was casting to suppress Annie's soul-fire, which sent her into a coma. The bird on Kat's head was a representation of her internal monologue. The monster bug was actually more of an ibis-angel, and it's what Kat looks like to Zimmy when she goes all Silent-Hill-o-vision — probably on account of the robots, which may or may not be etheric beings, worshiping her as an angel. The thing with Jones was probably related to something that happened during Annie's stay in the forest, and the mask is representative of Annie's suppression of her own emotions.

Anything else that needs clearing up?

Nope, that all sounds good and close to what I suspected, although I didn't see the bones as an active force from Tony. I can see that it makes sense, though.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to go out on a long limb here.

Jones is the embodiment of Jeanne's soul that didn't stay behind in the Annan Waters.

Reasons:
Would give some forethought to the term "wandering eye". She's been around since Surma's time, but Jeanne's soul may not have rebirthed until around that time. Remember, in the story, she waited in the depths for a long time.

Also, could explain why she's impervious to traditional damage in that she's just the embodiment of Jeanne's lost side.

May also explain why Jones has no real feelings about anything. All her emotion (rage) is tied up in her sentinel form in the waters.

Question being: How long has it been between when Jeanne's body got "discarded" and when "Jones" was born?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Better question being, what reason do any of you have to link Jeanne and Jones other than a vague resemblance from when Tom's art was a lot more homogenous, because that seems like pretty thin gruel.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

fatherdog posted:

Better question being, what reason do any of you have to link Jeanne and Jones other than a vague resemblance from when Tom's art was a lot more homogenous, because that seems like pretty thin gruel.

Yeah, I feel like the attempts to link Jones and Jeanne are pretty awkward. I mean, they have similar names, and they kind of sort of look similar, but c'mon, this ain't Kingdom Hearts.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As I said, going out on a looooong limb. Don't think it'd ever amount to anything, just thought it'd be an interesting thought.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Man, Jones is pretty bad at this. I'll bet she likes long, deep kisses with her eyes wide open.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 4, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Zenzirouj posted:

Man, Jones is pretty bad at this. I'll bet she likes long, deep kisses with her eyes wide open.

Jones stands outside Jim's window, holds up a boombox blasting The Pina Colada Song.

A Slice of Bread
Dec 20, 2007
Jones is Tony, here are some reasons:

1. We haven't seen them together in the same place yet!
2. :geno:
3. Jones -> Stones -> Tones -> Tony

:shepface:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Jones is Eglamore. Even in the comics where you see the both of them together, it's just Eglamore times two.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

They just film all the Jones/Eglamore the scenes twice and then splice them together in editing.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Elgamore is boxbot, one can't be that awesome without being terrible

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Eglamore's expression in that last panel just puts me in mind of the Man of Many Shades for some reason:

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Wow ok this just made things kind of weird and creepy(in an interesting way).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
:aaa: no wonder why Surma didn't trust her

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

wait what :stare:. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Does 'mysteries being solved' have another meaning to British people, like the exact opposite

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Welp, this new page makes the last page even creepier, Jones has and will always be there for you Eglamore, unchanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Wait so.. wait. She's been that size for how long, exactly?